PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Gun Club... thougths?

biochembruin
05-24-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.thelosangelesgunclub.com/

searched, but didn't find much info specifically about this place.

i've never been to this range, but may go this weekend. anything i should be aware of? reviews? pros/cons? not sure how much the cost would be, since their website only has prices for gun rental and ammo, but not lane rental. i only plan to shoot handguns there.

any opinions welcome. thanks.

El Barto
05-24-2007, 12:28 PM
This is the place that I go to. The staff is fairly polite and they tend to leave you alone. I forget how much it costs to rent a lane. Parking is kind of limited, so you may have to walk a little. They have a nice selection of rental guns even, M39's (or 38's, can't remember) in which they use the 7.62x54R target ammo. I have shot my Yugo SKS there using their range loads, which won't cycle the bolt, but hey I got to shoot it.

I was actually thinking of going tomorrow.

Sam Hainn
05-24-2007, 1:02 PM
Los Angeles Gun Club Rules:
19. You cannot take out any brass from the range!! No exceptions!! Reloaders, brass keepers, brass stealers, please go elsewhere!!

OK, I will go elsewhere. :rolleyes:

proraptor
05-24-2007, 1:11 PM
They wont let you take your brass with you for reloading? Sounds like they are making money off all the people that shoot there

biochembruin
05-24-2007, 3:36 PM
Yeah, i don't reload, so it's not an issue for me, but it does seem like kind of an a-hole rule. i have my own ammo, so won't need theirs.

el barto, i may be there tomorrow at around 6 or 7. PM me if you want to meet and try my weapons. it'd be nice to meet a fellow calgunner.

markymark
05-24-2007, 3:49 PM
LA gun club was the first place I learned to shoot. My dad took my brother and I way back when I was in 8th grade. I've been there several more times since then to try out their vast selection of rental guns but I generally try to avoid the place. I don't feel safe when I shoot there, particularly at night. The neighborhood isn't the greatest, especially for us who can carry concealed. I've also heard from my coworker that the people that shoot there, don't follow the 4 basic rules of gun safety. My friend and his group of shooters were "swept" with the muzzle of a loaded gun.

krim
05-24-2007, 4:13 PM
I usually dont go on a friday/saturday night esp after 6pm. (Unless you see LAPD staked out) The bad crowd tends to show up around 7-8pm from my experience.
I dont go by myself and do not leave weapons/gear unattended esp when its' busy... take a piss before entering the hot zone, buying targets isn't as bad because you can see the lanes from the counter.

I've heard of people keeping their own brass, usually from revolvers and such (45LC, 45-70, etc) .. it doesn't hurt to ask politely if you can take your own out, they just dont want scavengers.

If you feel lke the crowd has become... the sideways Glock holding "Let's bust a cap on those targets" crowd, leave.

They ahve a good selection of rentals (the 1911 mags blow, i'd bring my own). The lane rental is fairly cheap, i forget exactly how much, i think it's like $8.50/hr or something... ammo is a decent price. I think i spent about $20 for 2 hours and a large stack of targets last time.

atlas
05-24-2007, 5:09 PM
Los Angeles Gun Club Rules:
19. You cannot take out any brass from the range!! No exceptions!! Reloaders, brass keepers, brass stealers, please go elsewhere!!

OK, I will go elsewhere. :rolleyes:

I pay no attention to the website. The signs in the shooting gallery say "Reloaders Leave our brass alone".

They dont say anything about not picking up your own brass in the actual shooting area. I always pick mine up when I go there. Basically, just dont pick up other peoples left brass. Seems like a lot of people renting there who have no gun experience, so they just want to capitalize on them leaving stuff.

Pretty good selection of rentals there. No sub-compacts tho cause they are located in LA city proper.

rorschach
05-24-2007, 6:33 PM
I'd avoid that place like the clap. Many years ago they had a few robberies in the parking lot, some bold individuals were robbing people of their range bags and pistol cases. I was there one evening when this businessman took his "date" (a 6 foot crossdresser) there to shoot. "She" pistol whipped the guy in the head and wobbled in stilettos out of the place, gun in hand.

MicronuT
05-24-2007, 11:27 PM
I'd avoid that place like the clap. Many years ago they had a few robberies in the parking lot, some bold individuals were robbing people of their range bags and pistol cases. I was there one evening when this businessman took his "date" (a 6 foot crossdresser) there to shoot. "She" pistol whipped the guy in the head and wobbled in stilettos out of the place, gun in hand.

+87 i think theres been more than just a few in past years.. and they charge alot.

biochembruin
05-25-2007, 12:20 PM

you SAW this? crazy. i'll keep my eyes open when i'm there. there will be a group of us, so that may cut down on some of the opportunitsts. i've seen unsafe practices at every range i've been to, but i'll keep an eye open for the really unsafe shooters.

brassburnz
05-25-2007, 9:50 PM
Haven't been there in a while. It's OK. IIRC there was an accidental shooting there not that long ago. Somebody dropped their gun and they shot themself.

The Firing Line in Burbank and LA Gun Club are about the same distance from my house. If it's in the evening, I'd rather drive to Burbank and stop by at Costco for gas then drop by the Firing Line.

Randy
NRA Life Member

Moonclip
05-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Are they selling firearms?

ts
05-28-2007, 2:44 AM
Staff is very polite. Conditions are extremely dangerous (I am not talking about location). I wrote a review of the place on here - I am too tired to go search for it. I would steer clear from there, go anywhere but there.

El Barto
05-29-2007, 9:38 AM
I'd just thought I'd let everyone know that I did meet up with biochembruin last Friday at the LA Gun Club. He is a very nice and knowledgeable gentleman and is an overall class act. He brought along 3 beautiful young ladies who I believe were shooting for the first time. These ladies had some natural skills!

The range wasn’t busy when we got there, but it picked up a little later. None of the other folks looked like they were “trouble”. There was a group of guys and girls that looked under 25 and they were enjoying themselves, but not to the point that they were unsafe. All in all, I think it is fair to say that we all enjoyed ourselves. Oh, with the exception of the “no seatbelt” ticket I got on my way there.

biochembruin
05-29-2007, 2:27 PM
Are they selling firearms?

not sure, i didn't notice

biochembruin
05-29-2007, 2:47 PM
My take on the LA Gun Club (from going once). Went on a Friday, around 6 pm to 8 pm. Wasn’t very crowded even around 8, as there were still about 4 lanes of the 15 total free. I had 3 first time shooters with me, and met El Barto there. He was great to shoot with, had some great conversation, and some interesting weapons. The staff seemed very friendly. When I walked in, I filled out the normal paperwork, and was politely asked if they could take a look at my guns. They do have a very large collection of guns for rent; larger than at any range I’ve seen in California. Inside the range is pretty typical of an indoor range, with booths and cable target system.

Prices were $12 to rent a lane per hour if you also bought their ammo. I think it was $15 if you have your own ammo. They have factory new, as well as reloads. As an idea of price, reload 9mm was $9.90 for 50 rounds. They do let you uses Wolf ammo, which is kind of nice. The lady that rang up El Barto said that even though he’d been there for 2 hours and 45 min, she would only charge him for the two hours he shot with us.

The parking lot/entrance is monitored by a camera, perhaps because of some of the problems Rorschach talked about. The crowd didn’t seem particularly unsafe, as in waving guns around, but most did seem to be of the spray and pray variety. Some seemed to have a hard time getting anything inside the 7 ring, but did keep the muzzle down range at all times. Pretty normal of a public range, in my experience. There are a few chairs outside the shooting area to relax and watch TV, as well as a snack machine.

Overall, I thought it was a good place to shoot and would go back again.

Moonclip
05-29-2007, 3:22 PM
Did they handle your guns or actually just look at them?

El Barto
05-29-2007, 3:37 PM
Moon,

The young ladies shot, and they were good. I even let them shoot my CZ-52, but I think that they appreciated the Ruger MK III more.

Moonclip
05-29-2007, 4:01 PM
I meant did the range staff just look at the guns during inspection or did the handle your actual firearms?!

Moonclip
05-29-2007, 4:03 PM
[QUOTE=biochembruin;627733]. The staff seemed very friendly. When I walked in, I filled out the normal paperwork, and was politely asked if they could take a look at my guns.

I should have been more clear:) This is what I was referring to. Unless it's my mother or sister and thats a maybe, if I take a female to the range she is gonna shoot!

biochembruin
05-29-2007, 4:08 PM
they just opend my case and took a look. my weapons were all locked open with no mags in them.

WallySparx
05-29-2007, 7:02 PM
wait, so the website says rifles are allowed .22lr or pistol calibers only, but you guys are talking about shooting 7.62x54 over there? what gives?

El Barto
05-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Wally,

You can shoot 7.62x54R and also 7.62x39 there, BUT you would have to use their ammo, which is the training rounds. If you remember, Century had some hollow-core 7.62x54R short range ammo a while ago; this is what they have.

As for the 7.62x39, I don't know where they get it (reloads maybe) but it is very weak. I shot my SKS there a few weeks back using their range ammo and it is not strong enough to cycle the bolt. You can also rent an M1 Carbine to try out. Haven't done so myself.

It's best to visit there and take a look at what they have since the help over the phone is not always that good.

greenpea76
06-30-2007, 7:08 PM
Hey everyone,
I was just at The LA gun club last weekend on Saturday between 5:30 and 7:00 PM with 3 friends. This place wasn't too bad. Hadn't been there in at least 10 years. The staff was friendly and was helpful to 2 of our 1st time shooters. They do inspect your firearms and handle them. They will also check your ammo if you bring your own.

The only "not so great" experience was when we went to check out and pay for range time. We had two lanes and we walked in about 5:30 and didn't get in the range itself till about 5:40 after signing waivers and stuff and purchasing some of their reload ammunition. We were done at exactly 6:40 and the older female employee said we had been there for longer than that because the kid that signed us in noted we had range time starting at 5:25. I told here we didn't get her till after that and didn't get into the range til 5:40. She said that she wouldn't charge us for 2 hours and would talk to the young man that signed us in.

The place was kinda quiet when we were there including the surrounding buildings in the small parking area. The prices of ammo was about average. Range prices varied from 12 dollars if you bought their ammo and 18 dollars if you bring your own. 9 dollars for additional shooter in same lane. I ended buying some of their reloads to get the range price down in addition to using my own ammo. Sorry for the long post. Just thought I'd share some more detailed experience and to answer some questions that were in prior posts.

I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned anything about the Brea indoor range in Orange County. That place was great and excellent staff. No worries about homies or gangbangers because Bread PD trains there. They also have a small gun shop there too with unbeatable So Cal prices. I was eyeing a brand new SIG 226R .40 for the price of $730 ther first time I went about a month ago.

gn3hz3ku1*
07-01-2007, 5:43 PM
do i hear UCLA range meet?

biochembruin
07-02-2007, 10:59 AM
do i hear UCLA range meet?

i'm down.

blue+p+
07-06-2007, 1:16 PM
I like this range ! its ok! :party: if you want to shoot a big handgun :45: like the 500 s&w they have cheap ammo like 15$ bucks for 10 rounds they look like reloads. thanx to la gun club i fell in love w the 500 mag !!! :tt1: