PDA

View Full Version : CA Legal AR 308 lowers?

Highsaw
06-29-2012, 5:08 PM
Local Gunshop up here in Washington state I visited today has a DPMS Panther Arms 308 lower reciever. Checked the AWB and Panther Arms is a no go. I was kinda wanting to do a 308 AR project build once I settled in after the move next week. I also saw that the Armalite AR-10 was a no go too. Rock River Arms has a waiting list for their lowers, but unfortunately it seems thier lowers are complete with pistol grips etc. I might try calling them and seeing if I can just get put on wait for a stripped lower. As you all are more familiar with what is available or legal to FFL ship, what are my options for building a 308 AR? is thier any as of yet? :confused:
thanks for your time :)

ke6guj
06-29-2012, 5:13 PM
there are multiple offlist .308 lowers on the market, in both the Armalite AR-10 pattern and the DPMS AR-308 patter.

Highsaw
06-29-2012, 5:18 PM
there are multiple offlist .308 lowers on the market, in both the Armalite AR-10 pattern and the DPMS AR-308 patter.

Awesome, great to hear! thanks for the reply

shark92651
06-29-2012, 5:41 PM
DPMS even makes a CA-legal off-list .308 lower:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1515-dpms-lr-308-lower-w-bullet-button-and-magazine.aspx

Here is another one to consider:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1661-tactical-machining-tm-308-lower-receiver-stripped.aspx

Jpach
06-29-2012, 5:49 PM
Do you want DPMS type, Armalite type, or SR-25 type?

Also, be advised that a lower with a pistol grip and stock etc. is fine granted that it isn't a listed receiver. This is because the AW restrictions apply to semi-auto centerfire Rifles, and a lower by itself is not a semi-auto centerfire rifle. Just make sure to put a bullet button or make it featureless prior to putting an upper on it.

Hoop
06-29-2012, 6:25 PM
Mega MA-TEN or Tactical Machining are what I'd use.

I don't really see any point in intentionally going Armalite pattern. Maybe if you got a deal on an upper or something but otherwise no point.

Jpach
06-29-2012, 7:50 PM
Mega MA-TEN or Tactical Machining are what I'd use.

I don't really see any point in intentionally going Armalite pattern. Maybe if you got a deal on an upper or something but otherwise no point.

Why? Just curious.

Fjold
06-29-2012, 8:04 PM
Tactical Machine was the best bang for the buck when I bought mine. It's DPMS patterned.

Highsaw
06-29-2012, 9:29 PM
DPMS even makes a CA-legal off-list .308 lower:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1515-dpms-lr-308-lower-w-bullet-button-and-magazine.aspx

Here is another one to consider:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1661-tactical-machining-tm-308-lower-receiver-stripped.aspx

Thanks Shark! exactly what I was looking for!

Intimid8tor
06-29-2012, 9:52 PM
Why? Just curious.

there are more companies that make stuff for the DPMS pattern. Mags are also a lot cheaper and they pmag 308 mags fit that pattern. I have both, but for no other reason than to have both. I have considered getting rid of my armalite pattern and just staying with the DPMS pattern.

For Armalite pattern you could go with an Aero lower.

For DPMS pattern you have Tactical Machining, Mega Maten, POF and a host of others.

G38xOC
06-29-2012, 10:08 PM
^ yea it seems better too

i was thinking about doing it from 80% but , think i would rather but TM n be done with it

Jpach
06-30-2012, 12:57 AM
there are more companies that make stuff for the DPMS pattern. Mags are also a lot cheaper and they pmag 308 mags fit that pattern. I have both, but for no other reason than to have both. I have considered getting rid of my armalite pattern and just staying with the DPMS pattern.

For Armalite pattern you could go with an Aero lower.

For DPMS pattern you have Tactical Machining, Mega Maten, POF and a host of others.

Mega MA-Ten is SR-25 patterned, not DPMS.

I absolutely agree that there are more DPMS type receivers out there and the mags are cheap. I have just seen and heard of more issues with DPMS parts than Armalite/Noveske/etc.

I like the idea of using DPMS or say MA-Ten receivers but using Armalite BCGs.

Intimid8tor
06-30-2012, 6:33 AM

I absolutely agree that there are more DPMS type receivers out there and the mags are cheap. I have just seen and heard of more issues with DPMS parts than Armalite/Noveske/etc.

I like the idea of using DPMS or say MA-Ten receivers but using Armalite BCGs.

I didn't realize the maten used the sr25 pattern. Thanks for the clarification.

Dpms used to have somewhat of a less than steller reputation. That seems to have changed over recent years for the better.

I read somewhere that there is some interchangeability of the bcg between the armalite/dpms patterns. Might be worth looking in to.

Don't let any of us talk you out of an armalite pattern. They are the original and the cost is the only downside IMHO.

Hoop
06-30-2012, 7:50 AM
Most of the places I've seen selling Armalite parts the stripped upper receiver is about 300$. When you consider that the lower will run you 250-300 you are in the price range of the Mega MA-TEN which is a matched upper and lower with pins already installed and better finish.

Norcalkid
06-30-2012, 5:38 PM
I had no trouble finding a off list DPMS pattern lower at a fair price(250). But I'm having a ***** of a time finding a complete upper(24in). I honestly think it might be better trying to find an upper first. Though it's nice getting those #'s in your name.

C.G.
06-30-2012, 9:39 PM
Armalite came out with SR-25 pattern that takes P-mags. I am sure Aero will have the lowers soon making them legal to purchase.
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=A10A4CBF&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=594408c2-b03e-4c8b-8713-83959df8252d

Intimid8tor
06-30-2012, 9:53 PM
Armalite came out with SR-25 pattern that takes P-mags. I am sure Aero will have the lowers soon making them legal to purchase.
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=A10A4CBF&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=594408c2-b03e-4c8b-8713-83959df8252d

That's really cool. I think I am going to have to sell my current ar10 lowers and buy one of these when aero comes out with it.

ahren111
07-01-2012, 6:57 AM

Is there something I'm missing :confused: Mega MA-Ten will take either pattern. I just build on a Mega monolithic set & used DPMS patterned parts.