PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Folks: TM+Stags+Duracoat = trigger not resetting?

BigJ
06-29-2012, 2:42 PM
Hey guys I need a little help. I took my AR15 out for the first time today and ran into a little problem. This is the first AR15 I've owned, and the first one I've built. It started as a Tactical Machining 80%, I took it to 100% at a SJ build party, we Duracoated it inside and out, and installed a Stag's Lower Parts Kit (and therefore trigger group). I ran it for the first time today and put approx 200 rounds thru it.

At first every shot required me to manually reset the trigger by pushing it forward. By the end of the day it was running better, but still needed me to push it forward maybe 2 in 5 times. I did lube it pretty well, and I could feel it getting smoother as I went.

I did take the upper off mid session and was able to reproduce the problem exactly with the lower alone, so I don't suspect the upper at all.

Anything obvious to try and check? Is it possible I've got the trigger spring installed backward? Any other thoughts? I plan to tear it back down tomorrow and I'm hoping for a little advise before then. Thanks for your time!

Merc1138
06-29-2012, 2:46 PM
Umm.. you've got the lower, so why not just drive the 2 pins out for the trigger group and re-install it(while checking to make sure the springs, including the disconnector spring) are installed correctly. There is definitely not a shortage of diagrams online.

addyyoon
06-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I had a trigger reset problem the other day so I stripped my FCG and out came a SPENT PRIMER! What the hell lol. Anyways, I would take the pins out and reinstall. Hopefully that'll do the trick. Good luck!

gunsarefun
06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Is it possible I've got the trigger spring installed backward?

Bingo, take the trigger out and flip the spring over and reinstall. The trigger spring only, not the hammer.

seainc
06-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Check your disconnector spring, fat end goes into trigger.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/yen10579/Forum/46f304ff.jpg

motorwerks
06-30-2012, 1:19 PM
Check your disconnector spring, fat end goes into trigger.

This is what I was going to say.

Thordo
07-01-2012, 7:03 AM
Hi BigJ,
I did some research yesterday after you left our shop and came to the same conclusion as the posts above. One of your springs is probably installed backward, most likely the trigger spring.

Thordo

Army
07-01-2012, 2:03 PM
Or, since you painted inside AND outside, the trigger slot may by filled with paint. Use a fingernail file board on the edge of the slot to open it slightly more.

Spring installed incorrectly would not "get better/smoother" after shooting a while.