PDA

View Full Version : G19 or USP 40 for 4 legged critters?

drunktank
06-29-2012, 9:56 AM
I've always had my GLOCK 19 as a sidearm when hunting and camping. It's mainly for 2 legged critters, just in case. A new hunting spot I'll be visiting this upcoming season has many more wild pigs, predators, and whatnot so I was considering loading some hard cast rounds. While I'm at it I was wondering if a .40s&w might be better suited for four legged critters? Let's ASSume shot placement, price, and weight of pistols, & capacity are equal. I'm curious on how each two calibers would compare to each other on game (using these 2 pistols).

I tried searching the specific topic, but everything just led to a caliber war for self defense or "buy a G20, .357, .44, etc".

As always, thanks for your input.

portegee
06-29-2012, 9:58 AM
Do not go hunting with hardcast bullets regardless if it's your sidearm or not. While hunting any ammo on your person must be expanding, also make sure to have non lead if you're in the condor zone, even in your sidearm.

drunktank
06-29-2012, 9:59 AM
I should add, my .270win is my primary for hunting. I just like carrying a pistol as well. A family member saved his dad from being charged by a huge pig with his .44mag when his rifle didn't finish it in time, so it sort of got me thinking.

WDE91
06-29-2012, 9:59 AM
Ive always thought of the 10mm as the best hunting companion

I vote Glock 20 or 29

drunktank
06-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Portegee, this is not in a condor zone, however that brings up a good point!

180ls1
06-29-2012, 10:11 AM
the more ft. lbs the better, odds are you wont be able able to empty you mag on something so the badder the bullet the better you are.

newglockster
06-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Here is a little camparison: http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=224
and http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=117

drunktank
06-29-2012, 11:04 AM
I think I found what I've been looking for.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=153&osCsid=5r6ua4s4r2gi36h4c4ffr42tm5

Now I just need to find what bullet they use.

Thanks for the help!

m98
06-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Do not go hunting with hardcast bullets regardless if it's your sidearm or not. While hunting any ammo on your person must be expanding, also make sure to have non lead if you're in the condor zone, even in your sidearm.

I believe this is FUD unless ur handgun huntin.

m98
06-29-2012, 12:05 PM
I vote for 40sw loaded hot with hardcast but not in the usp platform unless you absolutely have to have or are in love with usp's or just got money to blow on an overpriced toy.

portegee
06-29-2012, 12:12 PM
That bullet will not be okay to hunt in ca with as a side arm. It has to be an expanding projectile or you will be sited by F&G. It does not matter if it is your side arm, if you are actively hunting you can not have non expanding projectiles in any weapon you could legally take an animal with on your person..

undercow16969
06-29-2012, 12:12 PM
I have an H&K USP .40. My loads shoot flat and accurate within 3" at 100yd. I have also deployed with it a few times except in a .45 milspec version. I would say go with what you are comfortable with. I like its functionality and the fact that I can lube it with superglue and clean it with sand and it will still work. It is a little pricey but IMO I feel that it is worth it.

portegee
06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
I believe this is FUD unless ur handgun huntin.

(c) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.

This is from the fish and game website. A handgun in 40 s&w is a legal means of take for large game. Have non compliant ammo on you and you will be cited. They will not care if you say I'm not hunting with this particular gun in my holster. You have a gun that is a legal method of take with non compliant ammunition it, but give it a try, your ticket will be no skin off my back. ;)

m98
06-30-2012, 3:56 AM
(c) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.

This is from the fish and game website. A handgun in 40 s&w is a legal means of take for large game. Have non compliant ammo on you and you will be cited. They will not care if you say I'm not hunting with this particular gun in my holster. You have a gun that is a legal method of take with non compliant ammunition it, but give it a try, your ticket will be no skin off my back. ;)

Ummm, still fud. It still Only applies to the weapon used in taking big game. My guess is you havent hunted long enough with enough encounters with wardens. If you read it carefully, it states that the only firearm to be used to harvest big game MUST be centerfire soft point expanding etc. Now condor zones Requires non lead so ur sidearm has to be all copper thus most of these all copper bullets is an EXPANDING type bullet. You'd have to find solid copper 40 cal boolits which there isnt any to my knowledge.

rino
06-30-2012, 6:04 AM
I always go with. 40 (minimum) or 10 mm glock

taperxz
06-30-2012, 6:20 AM

This is only half true^^^

The law says expanding bullet yes. There is no mandate on what kind of ammo you can have on your person. My snake loads certainly are not expanding or soft tip.

This law is not like the copper only law. Up here you can possess any ammo you want, except for ducks while hunting.

Shoot-it
06-30-2012, 8:52 AM
If it's a lead tip he should be fine if it's hard or not should not matter to a warden as long as they can see it's not a fmj round.

portegee
07-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Ummm, still fud. It still Only applies to the weapon used in taking big game. My guess is you havent hunted long enough with enough encounters with wardens. If you read it carefully, it states that the only firearm to be used to harvest big game MUST be centerfire soft point expanding etc. Now condor zones Requires non lead so ur sidearm has to be all copper thus most of these all copper bullets is an EXPANDING type bullet. You'd have to find solid copper 40 cal boolits which there isnt any to my knowledge.

:rolleyes: I have had plenty of conversations/run ins with wardens/sheriffs and you can obviously tell through the internet that I've not hunted for quite a few years. :rolleyes:

I have had a warden in the central sierras check my side arm to make sure it was copper only (I'm in the condor zone) & that they were not full metal jacketed bullets. That is what came out of his mouth, so you can take that for what it is, if you want. Like I said your ticket won't bother me a bit.

If you could show me where it says anything in the regs about only the firearm being used to harvest big game I'd appreciate it because I've read it and have never seen that anywere.

If it's a lead tip he should be fine if it's hard or not should not matter to a warden as long as they can see it's not a fmj round.

This is what I'm talking about, if he has a hardcast bullet that are not expanding in a firearm that is a legal method of take for big game he will have problems. He'd be okay as long as they expand in some form.

mif_slim
07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Umm, please read carefully guys... It's SOFTTIP or EXPANDING...NOT Soft tip expanding.... The OR changes things up A LOT.

Tanner68
07-02-2012, 1:45 PM
I don't have first hand experience with hardcast bullets, so forgive me if I miss the obvious. But how would the warden cite you for having hardcast bullets that are not expanding? Don't they have a similar appearance to any lead slug (Lighter shade of gray?). Would he do some impromptu scratch test for hardness? I doubt it.

In my experience, they just check for fmj.