PDA

View Full Version : California: Anti-Hunting Bill to be Reconsidered this Monday

VFX_man
06-29-2012, 8:51 AM
Re-posting a NRA email that was just sent out.
---------------------------------------------------

Contact members of the Assembly Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee Today!

http://awpw.assembly.ca.gov/membersstaff

---------------------------------------------

While the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and other radical anti-hunting groups suffered defeat when Senate Bill 1221 failed to pass in the Assembly Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee on June 24, this bill was unfortunately authorized for reconsideration and will be voted on again by this same committee on Monday, July 2.

Members of the Assembly Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee need to hear from every sportsman and gun owner in California urging them to OPPOSE SB 1221 again.

Let committee members know that California cannot afford to let the political agenda of animal rights extremists decide hunting regulations in the state. Hunting in ALL forms is an important tool needed to generate revenue for state conservation projects and to manage wildlife. It is also a long-standing American heritage that must be preserved. Contact information for committee members can be found here.

SB 1221, introduced by state Senator Ted Lieu (D-28), would ban hunting bears and bobcats with dogs. Hunting with dogs is a tradition that continues to be practiced across the country. Many dog breeds with select characteristics for hunting can be traced back for thousands of years. Seventeen states allow bear hunting with dogs. The use of hounds for hunting has never been shown to have an adverse impact on wildlife numbers. Biologists and other wildlife experts determine regulations and bag limits, just as they do with other hunting seasons.

SB 1221 is sponsored by HSUS – a group that supports banning all hunting with or without dogs. Its President, Wayne Pacelle, has been quoted as saying: “We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States ... We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state.” In 2003, HSUS unsuccessfully championed California Assembly Bill 342 that would have banned all hunting with hounds. It now seems to be taking a deceptive and incremental approach to accomplish their same goal with SB 1221. We cannot let an organization whose sole purpose is to destroy America's hunting heritage succeed.

Please forward this alert to your family, friends and fellow sportsmen across California asking them to also CALL and E-MAIL members of the Assembly Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee and urge them to OPPPOSE SB 1221. HSUS is attempting to ban this particular form of hunting today but, it will be back for many other forms of hunting in the future.

This alert is posted to California: Anti-Hunting Bill to be Reconsidered this Monday

VFX_man
06-29-2012, 9:02 AM
This is what I sent:

I am not a "hound hunter" but I stongly feel that California game management should not be left to the political agenda of animal rights extremists.

I recently spoke to a CA Game Warden and he mentioned the issues they are having with an over population of Mountain Lions and how their hands are tied due to the flawed law protecting them. I live in XXXXXX, CA and a mountian lion was hit and killed by a car, 700 feet from my house.

Hunting in ALL forms is an important tool needed to generate revenue for state conservation projects and to manage wildlife. It is also a long-standing American heritage that must be preserved.

VFX_man
06-29-2012, 9:19 AM
This link will let you find your representative.

http://192.234.213.69/amapsearch/

bigboarstopper
06-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Dont bother calling your assemblyman. Call the assemblyman or woman on the water, natural resources and wildlife committee. They are the ones who will be making the re vote Monday. Dammit, I can't seem to find the committee list. If somone can post it up here please do.

86mcss
06-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Dont bother calling your assemblyman. Call the assemblyman or woman on the water, natural resources and wildlife committee. They are the ones who will be making the re vote Monday. Dammit, I can't seem to find the committee list. If somone can post it up here please do.

please do so anyone.

molly
06-29-2012, 12:02 PM

it was posted in the OP

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM

bigboarstopper
06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Ty for posting that. While its good to call your assemblyman. Only the ones on this committee will be making the decision Monday. Folks we really need support on this. They wouldn't be bringing it up for a re vote if it wasn't close.

Ask for a "NO" vote.

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
specifically Lara in district 50. He was out sick, and could make the difference. Also, target the abstaining Dems, don't let them slide back to the dark side.

VFX_man
06-29-2012, 1:02 PM
Ty for posting that. While its good to call your assemblyman. Only the ones on this committee will be making the decision Monday. Folks we really need support on this. They wouldn't be bringing it up for a re vote if it wasn't close.

Ask for a "NO" vote.

Any idea how the vote went down last time? That would help us target the right Assemblyman.

Also, it never hurts to start hitting your local assemblyman . . . they might pass on the information that they are getting contacted to the committee - If by chance this unfortunately pass committee - they already have it on their radar.

VFX_man
06-29-2012, 1:07 PM
Just called Linda Halderman - Vice Chair [she voted NO]

Here are the people to target - they Obstained from the last vote

Mike Gatto (916) 319-2043
Roger Hernández (916) 319-2057
Ricardo Lara (916) 319-2050
~

VFX_man
06-29-2012, 1:16 PM
FYI Roger Hernández number is wrong on the web page.

His district office number is: 626-960-4457

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-29-2012, 1:19 PM
**this is from the Assemblies web site**

MEASURE: SB 1221
AUTHOR: Lieu
TOPIC: Mammals: use of dogs to pursue bears and bobc
DATE: 06/26/2012
MOTION: Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on Appropriations.
(AYES 6. NOES 4.) (FAIL)

AYES

Huffman Blumenfield Campos Fong
Hueso Yamada

NOES

Halderman Bill Berryhill Beth Gaines Jones

ABSENT, ABSTAINING, OR NOT VOTING

Gatto Roger Hernández Lara

Manolito
06-29-2012, 3:20 PM
Did my part today. The members not in my district will not take my comments.

Bill

JagerDog
06-29-2012, 4:41 PM
Here's what I sent:

I would like to take a moment to express my opposition to SB1221. I am not a "hound hunter" but I stongly feel that California game management should not be left to the political agenda of animal rights extremists. This amounts to one more toe hold for no reason other than they (HSUS) don't approve of hunting. It has nothing to do with humaneness or proper game management.

Hunting in ALL forms is an important tool needed to generate revenue for state conservation projects and to manage wildlife. It is also a long-standing American heritage that must be preserved. Any biologist will tell you that California's bear population is thriving. We had some issues a decade or two ago due to poaching, but the resulting regulations and enforcement has all but eliminated the poaching for bear parts to be sold.

Please send this bill to the trash can where it belongs.

Sincerely,

taperxz
06-29-2012, 5:17 PM
No one should hunt with dogs. It's inhumane.

:troll: