PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a possible refinery job (BATC - bay area training corp?)

Average Joe American
06-29-2012, 7:16 AM
Any refinery workers here?

Im thinking of going back to work in the refining industry. I saw an ad for a refiner job and it said must have current TWIC and BATC

From what I could find on my own, if I want to work in a refinery I have to have a TWIC I.D. card and a BATC credential?

I know how to get a TWIC (through the TSA) but how do I get a current BATC?

Thanks.

P.S. I used to work in a refinery years ago and things have changed alot since then.

Rust
06-29-2012, 7:08 PM
They hold classes for it pretty regularly in Martinez. Last time I went in for mine it was at the adult school there. I think they have classes at some other locations as well. Try looking up DISA as I think they now own/run the BATC program possibly under another name/acronym.

Average Joe American
06-30-2012, 4:53 AM
So if the job says... must have current TWIC and BATC, I guess that means I have to take some safety classes by BATC before I apply? Man that sucks since I live out of state and am trying to move back.

Rust
06-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Yeah you may be in a bind there. If you have a specific job in mind and meet the rest of the req's you may be able to get them to send you to do the BATC training once you're hired. There are also some other courses that are similar to the BATC card that you may be able to substitute. I know that last time I was renewing my badge for one of the refinery's they were letting some other subcontractors on with whatever their local equivalent card was. Again I would talk to whoever you are trying to get hired on by and see if there is another class you can take locally in place of the BATC.
TWIC you can do from pretty much any ware so long as you can get to an office to get your pictures and part of the background test done in person. That may have changed now so you don't have to go in, but when I got mine you had to go into their office in person.