PDA

View Full Version : Fishing tackle (lake McSwain) Newbie ?'s

Hunter87
06-28-2012, 9:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to slowly build my tackle arsenal and hopefully my fishing abilities. So I'm going out to McSwain and I read they have bass, salmon and trout. I was gonna take power bait and worms for starters, but I'd like some help picking one or two lures for each species that I could go after. The lures will be for trolling and casting of the boat, the worms and power bait for when I'm just chilling.
Thanks guys

P.S. I always here of catch and release on Bass, as I am totally new to fishing I know none of the etiquette. What size should I throw back? What size is good to eat? I didn't see the regulations for bass, whats the limit?

Sorry like I said I'm a newb

killjoy19delta
06-28-2012, 10:42 PM
drop shot roboworms brotha.!!

rg_1111@yahoo.com
06-29-2012, 2:31 AM
KasMaster for trout.
Spinner Baits for bass.
Large spinner with red beads for Salmon
There is lots of others,But these are easy to use and work.

portegee
06-29-2012, 7:31 AM
Don't forget your license. There is a little store on the way up there that has a pretty good selection of fishing gear. If you're not getting bites at McSwain, you could alway try McClure they're really close to each other.

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-29-2012, 8:21 AM
Small panther martins work great for trout. Work great for casting or trolling. If you plan on trolling, I'd look into a few sets of small half fast flashers and run a worm or panther martin on about a 5ft leader behind the flashers. For bass, 1/4-1/2 ounce skirted jigs are always fun and easy to fish with from a boat. Get a handfull of 4"-5"rubber crawdads and thread them onto that jigs hook. Search youtube for 'jig and pork', you'll find some great info on the jig and trailer. Rubber worms are also usually good. The list of lures for bass can get pretty long.

TROYSD
06-29-2012, 10:14 AM
throw back all bass

Hunter87
06-29-2012, 7:38 PM
TROYSD, you say to throw bass back. Are they no good to eat or is that the law?

Thanks for all the tackle tips guys and for keeping it simple, I know the list can go on and on just looking to get started.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
06-30-2012, 1:44 AM
Black Bass are sports fish. Mosy people catch and release. They taste great.
If you catch one and it's bleeding. Go ahead and keep it because more than likely it will die anyways.