View Full Version : Remignton 597 any good???

06-28-2012, 8:31 PM
Anyone have one or have any thoughts on them good or bad?? The one that I want can't be found anywhere but this is the one I have my eyes on -

Specific Pacific
06-29-2012, 9:40 AM
not bad little guns. on par w/ the 10/22 though i'd stick with the ruger

06-29-2012, 9:58 AM
I was thinking of getting one in 22 WMR. I don't know much about the gun and there seemed to be more than a few "lousy trigger, lousy reliability" posts bouncing around the internet. I know people post complaints and not praise, but it was enough for me to hold off. I think I'd want to shoot one first, talk face to face with an owner.

send it_hit
06-29-2012, 11:28 AM
try posting in rimfire, youll get more responses there

06-29-2012, 11:55 AM
cant go wrong with a Remi Rifle !

06-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Only metal mags work good, plastic sucks.

I really haven't shot mine enough, but buddy has several thousand rounds through his with zero probs and very accurate.

Cycles fine with everything, including sub-sonic. Occasional random misfeed, but that is probably my misloading mags. After 10 or so clips I don't pay much attention. I haven't cleaned mine yet. I did spray some oil in with I now hear wasns't good idea. The bolt will 'stick' after sitting but after moving once it is fine. I think it is hydrolic suction form the excess oil.

Gotta take off rear sight to mount scope in right place.

Why the short 'tactical' without sights? Most people say this gun is better with factory iron sights, and might as well go for full length barrel. Just get the stock original and order 5 mags from Walmart.

I screwed in attachments for sling, no prob.

PS- but if you get the Ruger the mags work with that target pistol. I wish Rem made a similar .22 auto pistol so I could use all my mags.

I believe the Ruger mag system is more totally reliable, espeically with a rimmed cartridge with doesn't like being stacked in a mag. Not sure if Ruger has extended mag option like Rem(not legal in CA).

But as I said, the ergometrics of Rem are REALLY nice. Even guys used to very expensive rifles comment on how it is "just right" and "sweet". Ruger's stock is like a piece of janitorial equip IMO.

06-29-2012, 7:46 PM
I have had mine for 3 years. No issues so far, i load, it goes bang.

06-29-2012, 8:16 PM
I like it.

06-29-2012, 8:27 PM
great rifle!

06-29-2012, 9:20 PM
I frequent the rimfire forum a lot and most of us would rather you buy a Marlin 795 or a Ruger 10/22. You can search up the threads on the rimfire forum if you want. I know some think the mags for the 597 are cheaply made and hard to install etc. IMO, if money isn't too much a concern, Ruger 10/22 all the way! You can sometimes find the base version for $209 and with just a few mods it will easily outshoot the 597 plus you can have access to tons of accessories. Tri mag for one. Ruger is an outstanding American company that is not owned by George Soros and why would you want to support that dude? When his companies bought Remington and now Marlin (which it seems he is closing down), I started buying Ruger. We need to support American manufacturing and jobs whenever we can.

06-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Not great. Works like most semi .22s whether they be from Savage or Marlin or whatever. But a 10-22 is the basis of a GREAT gun.

06-30-2012, 7:37 AM
My bud has one and its just as good as a 10/22 without the huge aftermarket. Great deal on those things too if you can find the scope combo.

06-30-2012, 1:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I should've posted in rimfire woops. Seems like the 10/22 is the way to go.