PDA

View Full Version : Featureless folks.....which grip did you choose and why?

Mossy Man
06-28-2012, 6:12 PM
I've seen the hammerhead, monsterman, and the kydex wraps.

Which one do you prefer and why?

I'm going to probably be going featureless and I am going to be pinning my MOE stock, and putting a YHM muzzle brake.

Need help deciding on grip.

Thanks

Mossy Man
06-28-2012, 6:22 PM
Also, it's for a 16" carbine that will be used for plinking mainly and since it will be soon featureless, also HD

sseric75
06-28-2012, 6:23 PM
Monsterman for me. I looks nice with an A2 stock.

ExtremeX
06-28-2012, 6:28 PM
Ive thought of making one of my lowers into a featureless setup... I would probably go with an A2 stock and a Monsterman grip.

Its just seems like a clean and simple setup.

SweetLoutheDuke
06-28-2012, 6:35 PM
Kydex on my AK. However it's thorny because while they fit the description they aren't DOJ approved as of yet.

Clutch-n-Throttle
06-28-2012, 6:49 PM
I went with an ExileMachine Hammerhead. I got a tan colored grip for $10. Looks different but works AWESOME! Happy customer..

Mossy Man
06-28-2012, 6:52 PM
I went with an ExileMachine Hammerhead. I got a tan colored grip for $10. Looks different but works AWESOME! Happy customer..

do you have a photo you'd like to share?

Cobrafreak
06-28-2012, 7:51 PM
Monsterman. Very comfortable to shoot, especially laying prone. I used to shoot FAL's and the grip angle on a Monsterman reminds me of the FAL grip.

drifts1
06-28-2012, 7:57 PM
just starting mine. i'm going with a kydex wrap over an ergo grip, A2 stock, and prince 50 mag release button. That way I can easily go back and forth between featureless, fixed mag, and normal for when i'm out of state. havent decided on muzzle break, but leaning towards a Miculek based on cost and looks. What icant decide is wether to build up the Mega or Riflegear lower

Prc329
06-28-2012, 8:04 PM
I have a Kydex grip I made and I did that cause I was going with a pinned CTR stock. I am going to go with a monsterman and A2 on my hunting rifle I am building.

ojisan
06-28-2012, 8:15 PM
I carry the CalGuns AW Flow Chart inside the A2 stock and I run the Monsterman because it then looks just like the gun pictured in the Chart.
Hopefully this will keep me from a night in the pokey when dealing with Officer Confused some day.

The grip wraps look very functional but are still a gray area with no official seal of approval.
I would attach the wrap with both bolts and two part epoxy to make sure that it does not ever come off.

If you are going out of state for the weekend a regular A2 grip is less than $5 and as you know is easy to swap on a MMG or wrap build.

The Hammerhead is a great design and might very well offer the best grip of the three, depending on your hand size and shape.
Certainly this is the one for the "space gun" look type builds.
The combo of parts, depending on the way you build it, while not hard to change, can be much more involved to change for a weekend out of state....plus you have to make the change (and back) while out of state, too.

TheThousands
06-28-2012, 8:22 PM
I use a solar tactical kydex wrap on an MOE grip. It was cheap and I didn't have to swap anything out so that's the route I took.

Chaos47
06-28-2012, 8:31 PM
Solar Tactical over a MOE for AR, I like the feel of the angle and the width of the grip.

Actually I think the ST over the A2 grip was the more comfortable I tried but I'm not much of an A2 grip fan (yes I was vain it doesn't go with the looks of the rifle)

Solar Tactical over a standard grip for AK.

If you live anywhere near Rifle gear you could go and ask to hold an ST as they have most of them in stock. Sadly I don't think they have MM or HH's to try.

mrvash
06-28-2012, 9:20 PM
I've chosen to use the Monsterman grip with A2 stock for my featureless rifle. I like the look of the MM and A2 stock.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-28-2012, 9:53 PM
Started out with the Monsterman on several featureless rifles, have switched out to ST wraps as I found the grip angle on the MM uncomfortable when mounted on a front heavy rifle or when trying to keep a rifle up on line while reloading. YMMV.

mcisniper
06-29-2012, 6:28 AM
I have both, but installed the Monster Man grip. It fit my build better. Either grip looks goofy but they feel and shoot great.

mif_slim
06-29-2012, 7:56 AM
I went with both wrap and hammerhead. Both works great IMO.

Advantage of wrap is its still similar to PG but without thumb over grip. disadvantage is its not a PG.

Hammerhead advantage is you have note control over the gun because your thumb wraps over. Disadvantage is I can't out a single point sling plate on it.

mif_slim
06-29-2012, 7:57 AM
Note = more.

bombadillo
06-29-2012, 8:13 AM
For my AR I first chose the monsterman grip because it was the only one available at the time really. If I were to do it now, I would go Solar Tactical first, then the Hammerhead second. I don't have first hand experience with the Hammerhead so I'd really like to give that a shot before I made a commitment. I may be doing a 24" full bull barrel target gun fairly soon so it'll be featureless for sure and I'm looking at them all right now.

spdrcr
06-29-2012, 8:23 AM
I use a solar tactical kydex wrap on an MOE grip. It was cheap and I didn't have to swap anything out so that's the route I took.

Other than the flash hider, right?

I think I have pretty much every featureless configuration - U15, Monsterman, 2 Kydex wraps, and a Hammerhead.

It really depends on what you want to do with your rifle. They're all pretty good for plinking and bench-type shooting. I do like the ability to get my thumb around the U15. It is quite heavy though. For more carbine-course oriented shooting I like the Hammerhead, again because of the added control with being able to wrap your thumb around it. With a pinned stock it really isn't much different than a standard AR configuration.

lugee
06-29-2012, 8:57 AM
I have all of them. (U15, HH, MM, ST). I use the HH on most of my builds. My AKs have the ST. The MM is the cleanest out of all of them but the A2 stock is heavy. The U15 is hands down the most comfortable, but I am not a fan of mounting the stock at the pistol grip location. I had to loctite it.

MikeR
06-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Hammerhead all the way for an AR. Being able to wrap your thumb over is priceless. I use a monsterman on one of my AKs. My wife likes the hammerhead too, she has small hands.

Pinning a MOE stock is very easy too. Ill get a pic or two up when I get home.

r1ghtw1ng
06-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I had a monsterman, and sold it. Couldn't get used to the steep angle.

Now I have a hammerhead / A2 stock (with some filing) and really like it. The angle feels almost like a traditional stock. Now I just need to pick up an ambi safety switch for a thumbrest.

morthrane
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Hammerhead with a pinned magpul CTR on the AR15. Went this direction because it was the cheapest featureless conversion option for me, as the MMG really needs an A1/A2 stock and the commercial gripwraps were nearly twice the cost of a hammerhead. So far I'm liking it well enough, but it doesn't work too well for me with a thumb-crossover, due to a cheap receiver endplate. The edges are sharpish and dig into my thumb. Instead, I've been putting my thumb up high on the right side, resting it on the back of the charge handle. (I have no idea whether this is a good idea, just seems to work out for me)

Put a MMG-style grip on a saiga 7.62, so far really liking it but I don't have much to compare, as the last time I've shot a true PG'd AK was over a decade ago and in another state.

Fugly, but it works. I would like to lego-up another AR lower, this time with an A1 stock and MMG.

Exile Machine
06-29-2012, 12:01 PM
[...] cheap receiver endplate.

Check out our handling (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pages/handling-7.html) page to see if a more relaxed grasp would work for you. If your hand size won't work with the preferred relaxed hold, you might try one of these KNS rear takedown pins (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/kns-250-psh-bttn-rear-take-dwn-pn-10587.html). With the KNS pin you can eliminate the receiver endplate altogether. Other customers have reported taming the sharp back edges of the receiver with a dot of velcro tape (the fuzzy side, not the hook side).

that guy
06-29-2012, 1:54 PM
customers have reported taming the sharp back edges of the receiver with a dot of velcro tape (the fuzzy side, not the hook side).

I like to use a small strip of foam rubber insulation tape on the underside of the castle nut and buffer tube. Very comfy. The web of my hand makes contact, but even after a day at the range there is no discomfort. I picked up a 30ft X 2" x 1/8" roll for under $10 at the local hardware store. The 2" width wraps around the left bottom and right, and does not interfere with the charging handle.

Oh, and I prefer the HH, I used to do a lot of Kydex wraps (and still consider that a good option for something other than a vanilla flavored AR) but I pulled almost all of them off once I borrowed an AR with the HH. There is more than one way to assemble the HH into a California compliant featureless, and I have used entry length A2 shaped stocks installed on the rear threaded hole of the HH on benchrest / target ARs. I personally like the traditional rifle style grip I can use with the HH over the "where the @#$ do I put my thumb!?!" feeling I got with the kydex and MM.

Oh, and I'm cheap (in case you didn't pick up on it from my tactical use of home-depot), so I like to get the blemished ones on the cheap. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't gotten this years supply of blems already.

Exile Machine
06-29-2012, 1:58 PM
I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't gotten this years supply of blems already.

Don't worry, we have a bunch of blemished units (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/exile-machine-hammerhead-ar-15-grip-blemished-285.html) in stock. But "blemished" is too strong a word. They're the normal Hammerhead product, they just got spray painted some offbeat colors...

morthrane
06-29-2012, 2:10 PM
Check out our handling (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pages/handling-7.html) page to see if a more relaxed grasp would work for you.

I do shoot with a relaxed grip when using a HH with thumb over. The problem comes when holding the rifle up one-handed, say for a mag change-- that's when the sharp edge of the receiver plate starts cutting into my thumb.

1st world problems... nothing that can't be cured by a home despot solution, a small file, or even just a pair of gloves. Just lazy. :D

Highsaw
06-29-2012, 4:16 PM
Moving to California next week, I installed a Solar Tactical grip wrap around my ergo grip, I like it alot as I didnt have to remove my current pistol grip simply neuter it so to speak, I also ordered a Monsterman to try out, but the easy install of the Solar is gonna be tough to beat!

Mossy Man
06-29-2012, 4:27 PM
So i have heard people saying the wraps are a grey area...

does the same go for Solar Tactical models?

i was thinking about grabbing one of these:

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1265-solar-tactical-ergo-grip.aspx

http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/large/1265.jpg

are these questionable still??

Fate
06-29-2012, 4:43 PM
Fins aren't questionable, though like others have mentioned, screwing/epoxying them onto your grip prevents tampering by an overzealous authority figure.

I run a custom made steel fin on my featureless AR after trying the MonsterMan and a homemade wrap fin. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=7628298&postcount=13

that guy
06-29-2012, 6:33 PM
But "blemished" is too strong a word. They're the normal Hammerhead product, they just got spray painted some offbeat colors...

I didn't mean to besmirch the product, but if I don't say "blemished" people won't be able to find what I'm talking about. I personally couldn't see anything wrong with them, other than the colors.

Exile Machine
06-29-2012, 6:39 PM
I didn't mean to besmirch the product, but if I don't say "blemished" people won't be able to find what I'm talking about. I personally couldn't see anything wrong with them, other than the colors.

Oh I didn't say you were besmirching the product. Our selling them as "blemished" units is a bit strong of a term. But in a good way... $11.99 delivered for essentially the same product as our regular $24.99 grip, except you're going to want to blast them with a $2 can of automotive primer.

-Mark

B!ngo
06-29-2012, 7:00 PM
Hammerhead. It seems to fit my grip properly, and looks very cool. If not like an AR...

peter95
06-29-2012, 9:44 PM
I say custom... Its easy to make.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6777589401_d569978e86_b.jpg

MikeR
06-29-2012, 10:34 PM
9mm AR with a HH.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq234/MRibz/Firearms/Untitled-5.jpg
Pinning the stock is cake, drill a hole where the red dot is, insert Allen head set screw, shoot.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq234/MRibz/Firearms/Untitled-9.jpg

TheThousands
06-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Other than the flash hider, right?

I think I have pretty much every featureless configuration - U15, Monsterman, 2 Kydex wraps, and a Hammerhead.

It really depends on what you want to do with your rifle. They're all pretty good for plinking and bench-type shooting. I do like the ability to get my thumb around the U15. It is quite heavy though. For more carbine-course oriented shooting I like the Hammerhead, again because of the added control with being able to wrap your thumb around it. With a pinned stock it really isn't much different than a standard AR configuration.

Of course, of course :) Have a surefire MB556k on there now! Nice little brake and I recommend it for you guys looking to get rid of your flash hiders.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-30-2012, 8:07 AM
1. A2 stock = MMG

2. Pinned telescoping stock = ST grip wrap

I'd worry less about aesthetics and more about what allows you to run the gun most efficiently. I'd take my plain jane Stag 16" carbine with A2 stock, MMG, and legally owned standard cap mags in a GF over a pretty, mean looking, heavy, but totally gimped up BB'd 10 rounder AR any day.

wash
06-30-2012, 6:51 PM
I've got one Monsterman/A2 setup, it OK.

My next featureless build is going to be a hammerhead I think.

Grip wraps probably feel pretty good but usually on the type of rifles that I think would be good for a grip wrap, I just get a nice pistol grip and a bullet button.

CSACANNONEER
06-30-2012, 6:59 PM
U15, MM and grip wraps on ARs, Grip wrap on CETME, MM and grip wraps on AKs. I've never gone Exile 'cause it came out later.

vintagearms
06-30-2012, 7:16 PM
Had the MM. Didnt like the grip angle. Had the Solar Tactical grip. Difficult mag changes (for me). Decided to go Hammerhead and haven't needed anything else.

Mossy Man
06-30-2012, 7:26 PM
i ended up ordering the blemished hammerhead from exilemachine.

couldn't pass up the free shipping!

depending on how it looks, i will be hitting it with some spray-on truck bed liner for more gripping action.

i also ordered the YHM phantom 5M muzzle brake, and a regular magazine release and spring.

i've read some people have difficulty removing the bullet button from their S&W M&P15 sports, but i've read others that haven't.

i'm hoping i'll luck out and it will be easy-peasy.

i also plan on pinning my MOE stock with a screw

SA227driver
06-30-2012, 7:43 PM
I chose a Kydex wrap around grip from Riflegear. Being a lefty actually is great because my thumb rests on the same side as the fire selector.

Mossy Man
06-30-2012, 7:54 PM
i ended up ordering the blemished hammerhead from exilemachine.

couldn't pass up the free shipping!

depending on how it looks, i will be hitting it with some spray-on truck bed liner for more gripping action.

i also ordered the YHM phantom 5M muzzle brake, and a regular magazine release and spring.

i've read some people have difficulty removing the bullet button from their S&W M&P15 sports, but i've read others that haven't.

i'm hoping i'll luck out and it will be easy-peasy.

i also plan on pinning my MOE stock with a screw

just an FYI update

I removed the upper, grip, and stock from the lower and then attempted to remove the bullet button.

Contrary to what others have stated about the M&P15 Sport, mine had no locktite at all, and i was able to remove the bullet button/mag release assembly without any special tools (used tweezers).

So I'm pretty happy so far, all i need is for my parts to come in and pin my stock.

I'll be featureless by the end of next week!

Mossy Man
06-30-2012, 8:21 PM
9mm AR with a HH.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq234/MRibz/Firearms/Untitled-5.jpg
Pinning the stock is cake, drill a hole where the red dot is, insert Allen head set screw, shoot.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq234/MRibz/Firearms/Untitled-9.jpg

question, all the youtube videos show having to drill through the buffer tube.

are there any requirements for "permanency" or w/e in regards to pinned stocks?

It looks like this method is only to stop the stock from being able to move without removing the screw.

is this legally ok on a featureless setup?

Fate
07-01-2012, 8:42 AM
Legally compliant. There are no requirements for permanency, though to be safe, it should require a tool to remove, IMO.

Mossy Man
07-01-2012, 10:20 AM
ok, set up my upper in a vise and took off the flash hider.....all set to go.

handling the weapon without a muzzle attachment feels pretty damned good.....without the 2" device it feels like it should be a 14.5" rifle.

im torn between sticking with the YHM muzzle brake and just getting a thread protector now....

Mossy Man
07-01-2012, 10:20 AM
double....

Stanksbeamen
07-15-2012, 3:58 AM
Does the HH come with the buffer tube? If not where can one purchase it from to shoot 5.56 or is it not necessary? Sorry nub post but looking into a featureless build!

Exile Machine
07-15-2012, 4:10 AM
Does the HH come with the buffer tube? If not where can one purchase it from to shoot 5.56 or is it not necessary? Sorry nub post but looking into a featureless build!

For $24.99? That would be awesome but we'd go out of business. :43: Nope, the buffer tube is a separate item. We have Spike's pistol buffer tubes in stock right now at this link:

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/spikes-tactical-pistol-buffer-tube-w-castle-nut-plate-125.html

Squidward
07-15-2012, 3:52 PM
The Hammerhead and grip tape will set you free.

morfeeis
07-15-2012, 4:42 PM
ExileMachine Hammerhead Grip All The Way! I chose the HHG as i didn't like the look of wraps and the U15 grips was out of stock. I wanted something i could wrap my hand around and the HHG did the job just great.

$P-Ritch$
07-15-2012, 4:51 PM
I started off using the hammerhead, which I liked a lot with my pinned collapsible stock. However, once I switched to an ACE ARUL stock the buffer tube collar it uses made the grip uncomfortable. Now I sport a Kydex grip wrap. Both are solid choices IMHO.

wash
07-15-2012, 8:42 PM
ok, set up my upper in a vise and took off the flash hider.....all set to go.

handling the weapon without a muzzle attachment feels pretty damned good.....without the 2" device it feels like it should be a 14.5" rifle.

im torn between sticking with the YHM muzzle brake and just getting a thread protector now....
I hope you didn't just make an SBR.

If you don't have an AR pistol lower, removing the permanently attached muzzle device from a 14.5" barrel is a SBR constructive possession problem and it won't be fixed until a new muzzle device is permanently affixed to make the barrel longer than 16".

If your barrel is longer than 16"'without the muzzle device then you don't need to have a permanent muzzle device.

Mossy Man
07-16-2012, 8:14 PM
I hope you didn't just make an SBR.

If you don't have an AR pistol lower, removing the permanently attached muzzle device from a 14.5" barrel is a SBR constructive possession problem and it won't be fixed until a new muzzle device is permanently affixed to make the barrel longer than 16".

If your barrel is longer than 16"'without the muzzle device then you don't need to have a permanent muzzle device.

it's a 16" upper without a permanently attached muzzle device.

the barrel with flash hider is closer to 19"

plus if the barrel wasn't 16" without a flash hider, S&W would have had to pin it, which they didn't.

plus, i put my cleaning rod down into the barrel with a closed bolt and measured to the end...about 16 1/4"

Richard Erichsen
07-16-2012, 8:40 PM
For most of mine, Solar Tactical grip straps. For a few that have pistol grips in hand finished hardwoods that are too pretty to be concealed, they get the bullet buttons.

R