PDA

View Full Version : ok to shoot M1 sans gas tube plug?

Falstaff
06-28-2012, 5:25 PM
Since i dont have a schuster plug yet, could i just remove
the GI plug and use the rifle as a single shot to shoot hot 185 grain loads ?
I have tons of HXP but can't use that at the silouette match...

OldShooter32
06-28-2012, 6:35 PM
Turning the grenade valve would do the same thing, but I'd be leery of doing a match that way! The gas plug holds the front barrel band on and removing it while shooting would allow it to rotate. Not a good idea, I am thinking...
Buy some 150-gr soft points and "Mexican match" the HXP stuff -- it will take down sillhouettes.

kendog4570
06-28-2012, 7:14 PM
Turning the grenade valve would do the same thing, but I'd be leery of doing a match that way! The gas plug holds the front barrel band on and removing it while shooting would allow it to rotate. Not a good idea, I am thinking...
Buy some 150-gr soft points and "Mexican match" the HXP stuff -- it will take down sillhouettes.

What "grenade valve" does one turn?

BDH
06-29-2012, 6:25 AM
Save your rifle, wait for the next match. When recoil hits, the gas cylinder may cause the launch of the lock and more problems exist. The gun is not a parts-optional product. It works as designed.
Bruce

Capybara
06-29-2012, 7:59 AM
Why not cheat on your taxes and take your vacation in Syria too? ;-)

Falstaff
06-29-2012, 10:09 AM
i keep forgetting tha almost all gun questions have already been asked; found a thread on the cmp forums, thehigh road and a few others. looks like there is NO danger in doing this whatsoever. so i will be using remmy 185 gr commercial softpoints in the match tomorrow. Wish me luck :)

Pthfndr
06-29-2012, 6:57 PM
You can single load and shoot without taking anything off the rifle. They do it at the CMP match all the time. It's no big deal.

30Cal
06-30-2012, 6:36 AM
What "grenade valve" does one turn?

There's a poppet built into most gas plugs. When you attach the grenade launcher, the valve opens.

kendog4570
06-30-2012, 7:02 AM
There's a poppet built into most gas plugs. When you attach the grenade launcher, the valve opens.

I am quite familiar with that, I was being sarcastic. There is no valve to "turn" on an M1, like there is on the M14.

Rule .308
06-30-2012, 7:21 AM
On a recent range trip there was a father son team on the bench next to me that were Garand newbs. A few clips into their shooting session their M1 went single shot on them and they were at a loss as to wtf just happened. A quick inspection revealed that they had lost their gas plug. When they could not find it at the next cease fire I just loaned them mine and all was well. They put a few rounds through it with no gas plug and it did not seem any the worse for wear.