PDA

View Full Version : Black Powder Pistol - hog hunting backup?

VFX_man
06-28-2012, 1:15 PM
Hi all, my buddy is giving me a hard time about using a muzzle-loader to hunt wild pig . . . his point is . . . the only back-up you would have is your knife and running like H___L! [of course, if I hunt with him, I just need to run faster than he does :D ].

He is correct, no "pistols" are allowed on your person while in a muzzle-loader only hunt zone like at FHL.

So could you not carry a B.P. sidearm?

If so, any recommendations for one that could stop a very agitated charging hog?

Any other options?

Cheers! V

Curley Red
06-28-2012, 1:23 PM
44 caliber cap and ball revolver. You get 5 or 6 shots depending on how many you want to load it with.

bigboarstopper
06-28-2012, 1:27 PM
Forget the back up gun. Best thing in the event of a charging hog is to either side step it or simply don't move. To even be charged you have to be fairly close. Most of the time they are charging the noise not the person. Stand still and the hog will either never notice you, stop short, bluff the charge, or go past you without ever knowing you were there.

VFX_man
06-28-2012, 3:27 PM
BBS, I'll remind you of this when we go out hunting with you in the fall!!!!!

And ignore the noise maker we attach to your backpack, it's purely for your safety ;)

All joking aside, is it legal to carry a Cap and Ball revolver in the situation that was mentioned?

Aeonstar
06-28-2012, 4:18 PM
Don't worry about the pigs and needing a backup. They are not cape buffalo. Go hunt and have a good time.

toby
06-28-2012, 4:53 PM
BBS, I'll remind you of this when we go out hunting with you in the fall!!!!!

And ignore the noise maker we attach to your backpack, it's purely for your safety ;)

All joking aside, is it legal to carry a Cap and Ball revolver in the situation that was mentioned?

LEGAL!

VFX_man
06-28-2012, 5:04 PM
LEGAL!

Thanks, had a feeling it was. Not saying I will, but it's always good to understand your options! :)

edgerly779
06-29-2012, 1:39 PM
What non lead bullets are you going to use in a muzzleloader handgun? fhl non lead.

theseacow
06-29-2012, 1:49 PM
I share the opinion of those in this thread who think backup guns are a waste of time for pigs.

ElvenSoul
06-29-2012, 1:53 PM
Just carry a military type bp rifle and mount a bayonet. You now have reach :)

VFX_man
06-29-2012, 1:54 PM
What non lead bullets are you going to use in a muzzleloader handgun? fhl non lead.

oh gheez . . . it's always something! Good question!

Google is failing me for searches. I'm I SOL? :confused:

HokeySon
06-29-2012, 2:28 PM
If so, any recommendations for one that could stop a very agitated charging hog?

A soothing melody and some herbal tea?

VFX_man
06-29-2012, 3:00 PM
A soothing melody and some herbal tea?

That's the San Francisco solution for everything! :D

toby
06-29-2012, 3:06 PM
OOOOOOPS, I wasnt thinking of the lead ban but if you go incognito the sidearm is legal..:innocent: lol

Whiterabbit
06-29-2012, 3:06 PM
I've never carried a backup when pig hunting.

That being said, there are a MYRIAD of sabots that are available.

Also, there are manufacturers making non lead balls. Finally, if you are serious, put your money where your mouth is and go buy some tin at $15 a pound and cast your own balls. Won't take many.

------

I'm trying to imagine it though. A pig is running at you (instead of away from you) starting from inline blackpowder range. You are going to what, throw the rifle into the dirt, try to pull and present a black powder pistol of some sort, and fire? Not sure I'm seeing it.

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-29-2012, 3:12 PM
just carry a sword, chop it in half as it passes by...