PDA

View Full Version : why keep bolt out of a bolt action rifle when not in use?

BANG BANG
06-28-2012, 12:00 PM
I see a lot of pics of bolt actions rifles with the bolt removed when in transit

and stored in it's own spot like in a hard case, (Pelican)

what is the reason in keeping the bolt out?

Vacaville
06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't. If there's a reason, I want to know too.

em9sredbeam
06-28-2012, 12:03 PM
For me it is if someone steals it they can't load it and start shooting people without the bolt. Also if I get pulled over it makes things easier to check to see if its loaded.

DannyInSoCal
06-28-2012, 12:03 PM
I only remove mine when heading home from the range after shooting corrosive ammo...

shy 7th
06-28-2012, 12:08 PM
I do it with my 91/30. But that's just because the bolt sticks straight out the side and it's hard for me to close my $19 Plano rifle case with the bolt installed.

I have a pickup truck, so yes, it needs to be locked in a case.

Chaos47
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
To make it fit in the case better.

WoodenGun
06-28-2012, 12:13 PM

No it doesn't. Locked case is for hand guns. Long guns need to be unloaded. They don't have to be in locked case during transport.

The police are likely to be much happier finding your long gun unloaded AND locked away if they should have cause to search your vehicle.

FatalKitty
06-28-2012, 12:19 PM
No it doesn't. Locked case is for hand guns. Long guns need to be unloaded. They don't have to be in locked case during transport.

The police are likely to be much happier finding your long gun unloaded AND locked away if they should have cause to search your vehicle.

just to clarify - it does need to be locked if you are in a school zone.

Chaos47
06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
just to clarify - it does need to be locked if you are in a school zone.

Or if it is a RAW (Yes I realize we are talking about bolt actions but the blanket statement that long guns don't have to be locked was made)

russ69
06-28-2012, 1:22 PM
Some guns like benchrest guns don't have a bolt stop. The bolt is removed so it doesn't slide out of the receiver when the gun is picked up.

Spyder
06-28-2012, 4:46 PM
Closing a hard case on a rifle with the bolt still in can add a lot of pressure which can wear both the lugs, and the foam/case.

Merc1138
06-28-2012, 4:51 PM

Yeah... good luck not driving through a schoolzone anywhere near SF, Oakland, LA, SD, etc.

X-NewYawker
06-28-2012, 4:59 PM
Closing a hard case on a rifle with the bolt still in can add a lot of pressure which can wear both the lugs, and the foam/case.

Bingo. I have seen UPSed hard cases opened a the Gunstore with bolt heads snapped off.

BANG BANG
06-28-2012, 5:02 PM

Bingo. I have seen UPSed hard cases opened a the Gunstore with bolt heads snapped off.

Ah makes sense!!

The Right to Bear Arms
06-28-2012, 5:11 PM
I do it with my 91/30. But that's just because the bolt sticks straight out the side and it's hard for me to close my $19 Plano rifle case with the bolt installed.

I did the same in transit to and from the range today for my lunch time range trip. Long gun in case in the trunk and I stored the bolt in a range bag with ammo which I kept in the front cabin with me.

baih777
06-28-2012, 5:15 PM
I take the bolt out because there is too much tension in my pelican case when closed. I could cut more foam away from the outer layer of foam. But i rather just remove the bolt.

gunnerstuff
06-28-2012, 5:32 PM
Yep, for transport. Relieves pressure on the bolt handle.

Fjold
06-28-2012, 5:55 PM
And it's the main reason that you see WTB Ads for rifle bolts. People who store their bolts separately from their rifles also seem to lose bolts more often.

I remove the bolt and store it separately in the gun case when travelling by air since the baggage handlers will throw cases around and store other heavy cases on top of them. It prevents damage to the case and possibly the rifle.

Ahhnother8
06-28-2012, 6:35 PM
If the bolt is out, it is also cocked. Storing it this way will eventually weaken the firing pin spring.

Stoopy
06-28-2012, 6:48 PM
If the bolt is out, it is also cocked. Storing it this way will eventually weaken the firing pin spring.

Springs are cheap

Merc1138
06-28-2012, 7:05 PM

Fortunately, springs don't work that way. Not to mention, it's under tension anyway. Plus not all bolt actions cock on open anyway(most, but not all).

4DMASTR
06-28-2012, 8:12 PM

I rock the Plano cases as well, fits better without the bolt.

I have an ugly little commuter car but I would rather toss a lock on the case than take the slightest remote chance of getting rolled in a GFZ and searched.

Divernhunter
06-28-2012, 9:57 PM
I never do but after reading this I might remove them for the plane ride to Africa next year. I know the baggage handlers are not gentle even with a HD Alum case. Never had reason to do so when traveling here in the states.
I know someone who did to discourage people from stealing his. Then he could not find the bolts to a couple. Mine are stored in safes with the bolts and travel in hard cases usually with the bolts in them. The straight bolts on some of the mil surplus are fine when you cycle the bolt up before putting them in the case for travel or even the safe at home.

Merc1138
06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I never do but after reading this I might remove them for the plane ride to Africa next year. I know the baggage handlers are not gentle even with a HD Alum case. Never had reason to do so when traveling here in the states.
I know someone who did to discourage people from stealing his. Then he could not find the bolts to a couple. Mine are stored in safes with the bolts and travel in hard cases usually with the bolts in them. The straight bolts on some of the mil surplus are fine when you cycle the bolt up before putting them in the case for travel or even the safe at home.

Yeah... there's definitely a difference between keeping the bolts separate while they're sitting in a safe at home, and keeping the bolt separate(but still in the same case) for traveling.

the_t0ny
06-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Takes up less space in the gun safe too without the bolt.

Ron-Solo
06-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Takes up less space in the gun safe too without the bolt.

True

realgreenfire
06-29-2012, 12:46 AM
for me, removing the bolts on my rifles is just standard procedure, it ensures that if the gun ends up in the wrong hands that all they have left is a baseball bat, and not a functional firearm. i guess i am i little over the top and during transport i cable lock through them too. i have been pulled over before and the officer thanked me for being honest and making his job of ensuring that the rifles were unloaded and safe was so easy.. heck, it takes all of 3 seconds to remove a bolt (if your slow) and gives me extra piece of mind. winning

Scratch705
06-29-2012, 12:53 AM
for me it is so it doesn't damage the foam.

as for the whole spring issue, there is a thing called dry fire. then it won't be stored with the spring under pressure.