PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit tags?

Mickconnors
06-28-2012, 9:39 AM
Hey, I'm going rabbit hunting in a few weeks for the first time, and I was wondering if you need tags or stamps or anything. I've already got my hunting license, is that all I need?

Thanks for any help.

DirtyDave
06-28-2012, 9:46 AM
:lurk5:

tony270
06-28-2012, 9:50 AM
You don't need a stamp or tag to hunt rabbits but you do need to study the general and small game hunting regulations.

chicoredneck
06-28-2012, 9:51 AM
:yes:
:whistling:
:leaving:

chicoredneck
06-28-2012, 9:57 AM
c'mon, somebodys yanking our chain here

theseacow
06-28-2012, 10:28 AM
The key to jackrabbit meat preservation is a quality gamebag. I like to throw in a bag of ice inside the gamebag with the meat. You want to use about .5 lbs of ice per pound of jackrabbit meat. Let me know what area you get drawn for, for cottontails.

leadstorm
06-28-2012, 10:45 AM
I got drawn for the snowshoe hare lottery this year!

Bowhunter_619
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
If you are in SOCAL you are out of luck, all the premium jackrabbit tags (1st season Jul-Oct) were by draw only. If you hurry there are a few OTC tags available for second season (Nov-Jun). Good Luck;)

lewdogg21
06-28-2012, 12:17 PM
The key to jackrabbit meat preservation is a quality gamebag. I like to throw in a bag of ice inside the gamebag with the meat. You want to use about .5 lbs of ice per pound of jackrabbit meat. Let me know what area you get drawn for, for cottontails.

totally wrong.

Human urine when applied to the flesh seals it in and keeps it from going bad. Ice only causes freezer burn and makes it tough.

With pie not trolling this thread my $ is on him being the OP.

Divernhunter
06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
If fish and game finds out they can squeeze a few more dollars out of us hunters you will see a stamp(to fund a study), then tags which will go up in cost every few years for rabbits. Just as they did for hogs.

Mickconnors
06-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks for nothing guys..

gl0ckc0ma
06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
$250,000.00 fine for harvesting a cottontail without tags, and $2.00 fine for Jackrabbits

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

mif_slim
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Mick, their just joking. There's no tags needed for Jacks.

Shoot-it
06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
For buck cottontails your only allowed 2 per day and part of your bag limit right.

Bowhunter_619
06-28-2012, 12:40 PM
For buck cottontails your only allowed 2 per day and part of your bag limit right.

It has changed, no more than 3 buck cottontail or brush rabbit with no more than 2 of one species

Bowhunter_619
06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for nothing guys..

Just kidding with you. No tags required

Mickconnors
06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Thank you mid.

Mickconnors
06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Mif*

VFX_man
06-28-2012, 1:02 PM
Bagged this one a couple of years ago.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/VFX_man/Snapbucket/D952DE2F.jpg

theseacow
06-28-2012, 1:19 PM
totally wrong.

Human urine when applied to the flesh seals it in and keeps it from going bad. Ice only causes freezer burn and makes it tough.

With pie not trolling this thread my $ is on him being the OP.

maybe for cottontails but not for jacks. I only use piss to sterilize the cottontail meat from those giant trophy parasites.

taperxz
06-28-2012, 2:18 PM
I thought rabbits were a protected species in CA? OP, don't get caught shooting rabbit, you're looking at serious jail time.

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2012, 2:31 PM
These guys are pulling your chain. Of course you need tags to hunt rabbits in Ca. Also, be careful. Rabbits have been know to attack. There's even a documented case of a swimming rabbit attacking the POTUS! If a rabbit is threatening you, carefully back away from it. NEVER stick the barrel of your gun into an occupied rabbit hole. Rabbits can and will tie your muzzle in a knot. Then, the gun will blow up in your face. I've witnessed this numerous times on TV hunting shows. If you happen to get a jackalope, make sure you clean and dress it properly. Take great care with the backstraps. They're small but the best meat on the little critters.

molly
06-28-2012, 2:40 PM
NEVER stick the barrel of your gun into an occupied rabbit hole. Rabbits can and will tie your muzzle in a knot. Then, the gun will blow up in your face. I've witnessed this numerous times on TV hunting shows.

that only happens when one is hunting WABBITS. :confused:

taperxz
06-28-2012, 2:52 PM
These guys are pulling your chain. Of course you need tags to hunt rabbits in Ca. Also, be careful. Rabbits have been know to attack. There's even a documented case of a swimming rabbit attacking the POTUS! If a rabbit is threatening you, carefully back away from it. NEVER stick the barrel of your gun into an occupied rabbit hole. Rabbits can and will tie your muzzle in a knot. Then, the gun will blow up in your face. I've witnessed this numerous times on TV hunting shows. If you happen to get a jackalope, make sure you clean and dress it properly. Take great care with the backstraps. They're small but the best meat on the little critters.

I saw that show! Elmer is a good man.

mif_slim
06-28-2012, 2:52 PM
MickConnors, just to let you know...these guys are like people who work 16 hour shifts doing 300 days out of the year. When their let free on vacation to go hunt, they get drunk and have a good time around the camp fire...so, be patient. You'll get real answers from someone or, from them themselves AFTER they sober up. Haha

taperxz
06-28-2012, 2:55 PM
MickConnors, just to let you know...these guys are like people who work 16 hour shifts doing 300 days out of the year. When their let free on vacation to go hunt, they get drunk and have a good time around the camp fire...so, be patient. You'll get real answers from someone or, from them themselves AFTER they sober up. Haha

Don't listen to Mif_slim!!! He's the biggest joker in these forums and will tell you all kinds of lies! He does travel out of state to kill rabbits though with great success. They're GIANTS back east. Verrrry scarrry when they climb trees.

HokeySon
06-28-2012, 3:04 PM
Are you sure it is rabbit season? I was watching the same hunting show as the cannoneer and there was some sharp debate about whether it was rabbit season or duck season.

Edit: I found a link to the hunting show so that you can view it yourself: http://youtu.be/9-k5J4RxQdE

DirtyDave
06-28-2012, 3:09 PM
What's a good sidearm to carry for protection when hunting rabbits? I was thinking 460 S&W, but that might be a little on the light side...

tacksman
06-28-2012, 3:09 PM
THIS!:D
If you are in SOCAL you are out of luck, all the premium jackrabbit tags (1st season Jul-Oct) were by draw only. If you hurry there are a few OTC tags available for second season (Nov-Jun). Good Luck;)

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2012, 3:13 PM
Now that you think I'm pulling your leg with my last post, here's a little proof about how vicious rabbits can be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident

tacksman
06-28-2012, 3:15 PM
holy ****... this is my favorite thread. go piss first before reading...

thomashoward
06-28-2012, 3:16 PM
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o609/thomashoward1/ElmerFudd2.png
But serwiously folks its late in the season to get wabbits for the table, but if you are skinning one out and the liver has greyish/white rings on it walk away. Wabbits cawwy tularemia.http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/rabbit-hunting/tularemia-rabbit-fever
You had to grow up poor to know that
cawwy on

toby
06-28-2012, 4:33 PM
You guy's are SILLY! OP no tags required just a current Hunting License and the firearm of your choice no restrictions. 22,22 mag,17hmr,shotgun of any bore,Archery equipment, spit wads through a crazy straw..............:cool:

taperxz
06-28-2012, 4:57 PM
You guy's are SILLY! OP no tags required just a current Hunting License and the firearm of your choice no restrictions. 22,22 mag,17hmr,shotgun of any bore,Archery equipment, spit wads through a crazy straw..............:cool:

OMG!! Do you want to get this person arrested???

toby
06-28-2012, 5:04 PM
OMG!! Do you want to get this person arrested???

Crazy straw not good huh? I'm sorry your Crazy straw must have an Optic of at least 6X and hydracloric transtitium moisture shed coatings.

taperxz
06-28-2012, 5:09 PM
Crazy straw not good huh? I'm sorry your Crazy straw must have an Optic of at least 6X and hydracloric transtitium moisture shed coatings.

hehehehe:D

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2012, 8:12 PM

Blow guns are Felonies in Ca. Please don't encourage criminal activities here.

dirtracer24
06-28-2012, 9:33 PM
If you end up drawing the proper tag for buck cottontails or even bull jack rabbit you need to keep in mind that they need to be at least forked horn or better. I got a buddy doing 18 months in pelican bay for taking a spike bull jack rabbit out of season. I lucked out and drew a highly sought after tag in x9er17 zone. I can't wait for the late season to open up. Good luck out there and be safe. The Minimum sidearm needed is a .44 mag but I personally carry a .500 S&W mag.

IVC
06-28-2012, 9:44 PM
Human urine when applied to the flesh seals it in and keeps it from going bad.

So that's why my leg always feels good after peeing into the wind. The warm feeling is not just an illusion...

rodeoflyer
06-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Make sure you use something bigger than .223, as it's not an effective round for game.

dirtracer24
06-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Make sure you use something bigger than .223, as it's not an effective round for game.

I don't know what you are talking about the .223 is the most destructive chunk of lead free in the world.

KWalkerM
06-28-2012, 11:58 PM
I refuse to hunt them rabbits. Seriously. They are the most ferocious creature to roam the earth. Only thing that can kill them is the Holy Hand Grenade! I cant afford that and i dont think its Non Tox in the Condor Zone.

Cougar125
06-29-2012, 1:44 AM
Jacks - Year Round. No bag limit. Hunting license required.
Cottontails - July 1 to Dec 31 (check regs). Hunting license required. Bag limit 5/day. Possession limit is double the bag limit. Again, check the regs for yourself.

IVC
06-29-2012, 1:45 AM
Only thing that can kill them is the Holy Hand Grenade!

Now, that's funny, provided you know what a Caerbannog is!

edgerly779
06-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Remember LA county shotgun only . No rimfire or centerfire.

HokeySon
06-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Jacks - Year Round. No bag limit. Hunting license required.
Cottontails - July 1 to Dec 31 (check regs). Hunting license required. Bag limit 5/day. Possession limit is double the bag limit. Again, check the regs for yourself.

informative and correct. Please moderate.

ns3v3n
06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
You know that homeless guy who got his face chewed off by that crazy guy on drugs??? It was really done by rabbits and the crazy guy was just a scapegoat. Those darn things are vicious...

tacksman
06-29-2012, 12:43 PM
I see a few posts about lead in the condor range. I sent an email to DFG about shooting rabbits while bird hunting. The conservation office wrote back and said the use of lead was ok for rabbits because they fall into the upland category. seemed odd, but i printed laminated and carry that email with me while hunting. I even discussed this with a DFG officer and showed him the letter. He didn't really comment but it appeared he was unaware. beats getting a citation.
When it come to grey areas, i encourage you to contact DFG and keep with you any info you feel you need.

Happy wabbit huntin...

lewdogg21
07-01-2012, 3:48 PM
Mick - You unknowingly threw a grenade into a pile of landmines with your question. Somebody in here started joking that jack rabbit tags were needed for socal (may have been me, lol).

elevated
07-02-2012, 3:10 AM

x2 make sure not to look them in the eyes...

cannon
07-02-2012, 7:20 AM
Hey, I'm going rabbit hunting in a few weeks for the first time, and I was wondering if you need tags or stamps or anything. I've already got my hunting license, is that all I need?

Thanks for any help.

Now that you know the answer. What area are you going too?

KWalkerM
07-02-2012, 8:27 AM
Now, that's funny, provided you know what a Caerbannog is!

I dont think OP does!