PDA

View Full Version : AK OK in state forests and parks?

CharlieeFoxtrot
06-28-2012, 7:55 AM
Hey all,

I was recently moved to California by the military and had a quesiton regarding where I can bring my bullet button modified AK in the state of California.

A co-worker of mine told me that there is a gun range in a state forest but wasnt sure I could bring my AK into the state forest. I was wondering if you guys knew if there was anything prohibiting me from bringing my AK to a state forest/park or even a national park in the state of California.

Not that I would be touting my AK in Yosemite...but I just wanted to know where I cant bring my gun other than the obvious post office, school, government building, ACLU meeeting...etc.

Thanks!

JBaus
06-28-2012, 9:15 AM
Depending on where you are located in California, there are unmanned Gun range locations North of Sacramento and North of San Francisco. The one north of San Francisco is in Ukiah on a place called Cow Mountain. You can youtube the Cow Maintain Gun Range.

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2012, 9:24 AM
First, WELCOME!

Now, you can bring your legally configured (mag lock or featureless) NON listed semi auto rifle into most public land in CA. Chances are that your co-worked is confused and that the "state forest" he/she is talking about is really a "national forest" just like Yosemite is a Natioanl Park and not a state park. Anyway, there are places within both state and national forests and state and national parks where you can not possess firearms. Just like if you were in any other state, you really need to research the exact forest or park you are wanting to go to. Obviously, if there is a gun range on public land, legal firearms can be brought and shot there. Just remember that some ranges have their own rules. I know of one range on NF land which has it's own policies and does not allow 50BMG rifles or +10 round mags. But, that has nothing to do with the actual law.

CharlieeFoxtrot
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys. Thats pretty much what I thought regarding bringing the gun into public land. The Forest is Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest, where I've never been. From the research I've done it sounds like I *should* be safe bringing it..but theres always the chance of running into a vigilantee person on a crusade to rid California of all weapons.

I miss the simplicity of living with guns in Nevada...

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys. Thats pretty much what I thought regarding bringing the gun into public land. The Forest is Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest, where I've never been. From the research I've done it sounds like I *should* be safe bringing it..but theres always the chance of running into a vigilantee person on a crusade to rid California of all weapons.

I miss the simplicity of living with guns in Nevada...

I have a friend in NV who was held at gun point by +20 officers representing multiple agencies just because he was shooting his legal firearms and some podunk officer didn't like the fact that he saw +60 year old man was shooting the NFA registered MP5SD he bought back in '69. So, it can happen anywhere at any time.

paul0660
06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

It is all there, and recently updated.