PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA with AR-15, am I ready??

Highsaw
06-27-2012, 8:04 PM
Hi Guy! New the forums here and soon to be new to the state. I would like some peer-checking from anyone willing, on the subject of my rifle, and the preparations and alterations I've made to it for the move. I own an RRA LAR-15 operator2 lefty, great rifle might I add, especially for a lefty :)
The steps I have taken to allow the legal use of this weapon in CA are as follows:
1) drilled and pinned (using a 3/32 tension pin) my adjustable stock at the length I usually use.
2) attached a Solar Tactical grip wrap around my ergo pistol grip, rendering it impossible to wrap my thumb around.
3) removed my magwell grip and forestock grip
4) sent my hi-cap mags and drums to family living outside CA, purchased 10/30 mags (drilled and pinned to only hold 10 rounds)
5) left my muzzlebrake alone, stock from RRA, and marketed as such, is in no way a flash hider.
Also from what I've researched RRA lowers are considered (OLL), correct me if I'm wrong.
From what I understand this is whats called a featureless rifle in California, so no bullet button needed. I really dont like them :( personal preference perhaps.
But thats enough rambling from me, did I do everything right guys? Seems flowchart and OLL approved...
Thanks in advance for any research and responses, and thanks to mods for this great forum! :D

joe_gman
06-27-2012, 8:14 PM
Sound about right for a featurless build in Cali. Welcome to California. Enjoy our beaches, ski our mountains, play some golf, all in one day.:p

joe_gman
06-27-2012, 8:14 PM
Sorry, dp

Chaos47
06-27-2012, 8:39 PM
Sounds about right. Welcome to Calguns and CA!

Just to reiterate in case there is something you have that you left out:
A Featureless Rifle can not have any of the following:
Pistol Grip.
Thumbhole stock.
Folding or telescoping stock.
Grenade launcher or flare launcher.
Flash suppressor.
Forward pistol grip.

https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/

BucDan
06-27-2012, 8:39 PM
Nice! You've done your research well! Welcome to the state when you get here, and hangout on Calguns with us, who knows, things may change around.

Dave07997S
06-27-2012, 8:48 PM
If its featureless you can still keep the high cap mags, or did I miss something.

Dave

BucDan
06-27-2012, 8:50 PM
If its featureless you can still keep the high cap mags, or did I miss something.

Dave

You cannot import "high cap" mags into the state.

zfields
06-27-2012, 8:50 PM

Dave

You cannot import them into the state.

joe_gman
06-27-2012, 8:51 PM

Dave

If he had the mags in California before 2000 then they would be legal. They can not be brought in from out of state except as a parts kit.

Mongoblack23
06-27-2012, 8:52 PM
he cant "import" standard capacity mags into california. he can however, bring them in unassembled and reassemble when he goes out of state.

:EDIT- damn, not fast enough...

BucDan
06-27-2012, 9:04 PM
Sooo, why are you coming to CA?

Highsaw
06-27-2012, 9:07 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys! Seems like I'm on track. Cant wait to get my rifle (albeit slightly neutered, but not irreversibly so) onto the California rifle ranges and under that warm sun :)

Highsaw
06-27-2012, 9:11 PM
Sooo, why are you coming to CA?

Welding inspection training, great schools there. Also transferring my pipefitter book to the local union for work. But mostly moving to become a welding inspector. I think there really comes a time in every trademans life where he has to look at what else can he do while staying in the trade he loves, while not "busting his ***" 6 days a week 12 hours a day!:p