PDA

View Full Version : Good barrel and BCG combo

Sturnovik
06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I need a barrel and bolt carrier for my stripped upper. I'm looking for a 16 inch barrel (maybe a dissipator build?) in 5.56. I am also thinking of doing a 5.45 barrel/BCG but am not sure if it could handle those pressures ( I can't recall if 5.45 is higher or not), or easy to find mags.

Any ideas guys? I'm wanting the longer gas systems rather than carbine ones.

tuna quesadilla
06-27-2012, 7:53 PM
Barrel:

The hottest deals going right now are probably to be found at Palmetto State Armory. They're having crazy summer sales and free shipping to boot. If you want to do a dissipator you can use any standard weight carbine or midlength barrel and use a clamp-on FSB from Armalite. I bought mine from Riflegear for about $45.

Bolt:

Any standard BCG that is HP/MP tested and inspected by a quality manufacturer will do you just fine. Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, BCM, etc. Don't waste your time with crap brands like Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic, et al. It's a total crapshoot with brands like that. I've known people with rifles from said manufacturers that just keep ticking and ticking, but I've also seen some really embarrassing and catastrophic failures with said rifles.

Sturnovik
06-28-2012, 5:41 PM
Thanks tuna^.

So mid-length is the size below the full length gas system? I figured the 18inch barrels usually used them.

Im hoping to find a 5.45 barrel/bolt as well but the priority is the 5.56.