View Full Version : Upland hunting info

WDE91
06-27-2012, 9:24 AM
Well I have recently started getting into shotgun shooting
I picked up a 12gauge Wingmaster and have started doing more clay shooting

here is a picture of me after a morning of trap at Prado
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/bjkearns/8c4eb07f.jpg

I have never been hunting before so yes total newb :o

A buddy of mine has got a raisin opperation up in the Fresno area and says he has got doves :cool2:

here is the info I know

season runs 9/1-9/15
I am pretty sure I need a hunting license
I know bag limit is 10 a day
I am assuming that I will need to put the plug in the magazine

I have got questions like
Will I need a Dove permit or the likes?
Will lead shot be allowed for dove?

Any other info and suggestions is welcomed
Thank you for your help
Joseph Kearns

WDE91
06-27-2012, 9:32 AM
found some more info here
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/11-12-upland-sum.html

so it looks like there is 2 seasons for Dove an early and a late

WDE91
06-27-2012, 9:35 AM
313 looks like I will need an Upland stamp
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/uplandgamebirdregs.aspx#300b1b

I will also need to put my plug in

portegee
06-27-2012, 9:42 AM
You will need the upland game bird validation, and the HIP validation. Those will allow you to hunt all the upland game birds in CA. There is two seasons for dove and my experience in Fresno/Madera has been that the second season slows down a bit, but you can still get as many shots it just takes a little bit longer to pull your limit. Just be forwarned hunting the grey gost is addictive and much more difficult than a lot of people think when they first get into it.

Happy hunting

ScottB
06-27-2012, 9:50 AM
You definitly need to take the hunter safety course and buy a license plus the upland game stamp ($8?) and HIP stamp (free). Shotguns can hold no more than 3 rounds, including the round in the chamber. This is the most common ticket wardens write.

Seasons, zones and bag limits are species specific. Don't just assume you can go blast 10 of whatever and its fine.

Decide what you are going to hunt, prepare accordingly and be sure you know the rules for the species you are are hunting. The DFG posts regs on their website well in advance of hunting season or you can also get copies at any license agent.

The rules are fairly simple, but you need to know them. Wardens do not hesitate to ticket the ignorant as well as the willful violators.

Wideflange
06-27-2012, 11:21 AM
I hunt every dove opener in the central valley. DFG will be out in force so make sure you are legal. We have been checked almost each year since 2001. Cool guys, very quick check of plugs, bag limits and a chat. Twice they put us on better flyways. They use a spotter plane and have been very good at getting the bad apples out of our areas

Get off the trap range and start shooting skeet or sporting clays. Doves will school even the best scatter gunner

portegee
06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
313 looks like I will need an Upland stamp
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/uplandgamebirdregs.aspx#300b1b

I will also need to put my plug in

With the new license there is no longer any stamps involved. You get any Stamp/Validation you want printed right on your license. The only seperate paper you'll get is if you want tags for big game. For bird hunting make sure you use the correct plug for your gun, you'll want to only be able to get 3, 2 3/4" shells in all together, with only two in the tube. Oh and you can only take 10 doves (not counting Eurasions) per day, and only have 20 doves in posession at any given time.

PS Fresno has some great dove hunting locations

WDE91
06-27-2012, 4:51 PM
ok perfect my plug is a 2 shot plug and I will be maxed at 2+1=legal :)

hopefully being on private private property will help limit contact from the Wardens
I know I will be fine but every introuduction is potential risk

when it comes to wearing the blaze orange I know that is an Upland thing
Does California or on the federal level have any requirement for blaze orange when hunting?

mcmikeblues7
06-27-2012, 4:53 PM
ok perfect my plug is a 2 shot plug and I will be maxed at 2+1=legal :)

hopefully being on private private property will help limit contact from the Wardens
I know I will be fine but every introuduction is potential risk

when it comes to wearing the blaze orange I know that is an Upland thing
Does California or on the federal level have any requirement for blaze orange when hunting?

no blaze orange is required, some will tell you it is a good idea for upland game and even big game and varmints.

wjc
06-27-2012, 11:05 PM
I'd invest a good pair of boots, small backpack, sharp knife, zip lock bags, canteen w/ water, and hand wipes if you clean the game in the field.

Camo couldn't hurt but probably not necessary for dove. Blaze orange is not required but it might be a good idea in heavily hunted areas.

afmotorsports
06-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Get off the trap range and start shooting skeet or sporting clays. Doves will school even the best scatter gunner

+1

If you don't spend some time shooting skeet and/or sporting clays, don't even bother going. Shooting trap doesn't help very much for dove hunting. Bring at least a couple of boxes of shells, those little rockets will humble just about any shooter.

WDE91
06-27-2012, 11:51 PM
this Sunday Im thinking I will go do some skeet shooting
I guess Im just intimidated by the double with a pump gun

wjc
06-28-2012, 12:03 AM

"see the clay, know the clay, be the clay...nanananna dadadada"

:D

Just swing through it...you'll get the hang of it.

portegee
06-28-2012, 7:21 AM

If you're not comfortable with doubles, that is exactly what you should be shooting, because you'll want to be able to shoot, reload and get back on your target as quickly as possible once dove season starts. After you get some adrenalin going you will start double pumping you gun to only here two booms and a click, and have a live round on the ground. Don't ask how I know.

WDE91
06-28-2012, 4:02 PM
Ya I am looking forward to some skeet shootings
Its been quite a while since I have tried it

I am really so happy with my $235 Wingmaster

In regards to chokes and Upland hunting
I am on a Vent rib fixed modifed choke

In my understanding of shotgunning in regards to clays and Upland the modified choke is one of the more universal chokes

Do I need to track down a Wingmaster threaded for Remchoke?

MJB
06-28-2012, 5:10 PM
Mod is fine and don't ware orange there should be no low shooting at birds and the doves have good eyesight they will pickup movement and your outline. So don't move until they're in range and hide behind thin brush or hill to break up your outline.

Finding the right flyway is the most important along with the roosting spot and feeding after that it's up to you......on your first dove shoot don't be surprised if it takes 100 rounds for 10 birds!

One last tip if you don't have a dog to fetch your birds, mark your downed bird and don't take your eye off of it before you pick it up! So many people will shoot 3 or 4 birds and then go look and can't find a one.

I"ll get some pictures up of some last season hunts in Baja 500+ rounds and about 300 birds in about 2 hours. Needless to say with three hunters and over 800 birds per day the dogs get really tired!!

HokeySon
06-28-2012, 7:37 PM
I"ll get some pictures up of some last season hunts in Baja 500+ rounds and about 300 birds in about 2 hours. Needless to say with three hunters and over 800 birds per day the dogs get really tired!!

threadjack alert

How do you hunt in Baja? Do you have to use an outfitter/guide and borrowed his guns? I thought Mex was no gun land.

jm13690
06-28-2012, 9:23 PM
12 gauge is a heavy load for doves. Go for a high shot so that way you like a 7 1/2 shot. You don't want to go big on doves or else you won't have much bird left.

Cougar125
06-29-2012, 1:40 AM
Your choke really should depend on how close the birds are. Depending on what part of the season is depends on which choke I use.

MJB
06-29-2012, 9:00 AM
Yea you can hunt MX there's a gun permit filed through your outfitter with the Mexican gov.

2 gums 100 rounds each gun and you must hunt with a licensed guide and have a tag for the bird your hunting. With the tag you can bring them back home.
Pm me for more details.

12ga. is perfect with 7.5 good load! Chokes the mod fits everything from dove to geese.

MJB
07-11-2012, 1:43 PM
Here's some dove from Baja with the dogs!

HokeySon
07-11-2012, 2:02 PM
that's awesome.

GunninIt
07-11-2012, 3:07 PM
I have to admit to being damn scared to hunt (or even visit?) Mexico. Guess too much media hype about the nonsense that goes on over there. Back in the day (my 18-20 year old days) I spent a lot of time in Baja, and never had issues - not serious ones at least. Not sure I'd want to make the trip these days.

Interested in getting together with some locals for some Upland Hunting this year, though. Keep me on a list, if anyone decides to do something.

MJB
07-11-2012, 3:25 PM
It's the same as it always was before the drug thing......be smart and don't go flashing your ignorance or money.

The farming fields that we hunt are 40 miles from the boarder towns. The boarder towns is where most of the trouble starts. It's good that people are scared to go down a lot less traffic and more birds for me!

NytWolf
07-11-2012, 3:42 PM
I'd invest a good pair of boots, small backpack, sharp knife, zip lock bags, canteen w/ water, and hand wipes if you clean the game in the field.

Camo couldn't hurt but probably not necessary for dove. Blaze orange is not required but it might be a good idea in heavily hunted areas.

Not saying you shouldn't practice safety, but ... one year, I was in all camo and my brother-in-law had a red shirt. After 15 minutes of having birds go around him well in advance, he was able to bag some by being shirtless.