PDA

View Full Version : CMP question re:wood

TURNKEY13
06-27-2012, 5:12 AM
Hey everyone. This question is for the more CMP experienced. I purchased my first CMP Garand last year. A Springfield Service Grade, very nice metal with new production wood. My question is, I heard of some people putting a "sticky" on their order form requesting USGI wood, and getting it. Any one know if thatís true? I love my M1 with its new, perfect wood, but I really would like original wood if possible for my next purchase. Aesthetics aside, I just think having original wood over correct parts is more befitting an old war horse. Or should I just go with a field grade?

Thanks

Omega13device
06-27-2012, 5:45 AM
You can put a sticky note on your order but it doesn't guarantee anything. If what you want is right in front of the person picking the rifle out of the crate, it may help.

If you don't get the stock you want you can always go on the CMP for sale forums and buy a USGI stock from someone there.

TURNKEY13
06-27-2012, 5:49 AM
And the light bulb goes on!!!!! duuuh wat a smart idea!!! thnxx Omega!!!

Capybara
06-27-2012, 7:07 AM
The majority of service grades I have seen this year have USGI wood. I ordered a service special so mine had the CMP stock, which is beautiful. Comes down to looks versus authenticity.

gotshotgun?
06-27-2012, 8:28 AM
Capybara - Can you tell me what profile your new production walnut stock is? Does it have a thick wrist like post war Springfields or is it thinner, more comfortable, like the war time stocks?

Thanks!

Capybara
06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Check your PM.

30Cal
06-27-2012, 3:55 PM
Yellow sticky has never failed me. Just be sure to ask for something that's easy for them to make happen (i.e. "a goood barrel" or "nice wood", etc).

Asked for a WRA (back when they were all the same)-->got a WRA
Asked for a nice barrel (SG rifle)--> got one w/ a new barrel, good wood
Asked for a carbine with nice metal finish-->got minty metal, decent stock

NewbieDave
06-27-2012, 9:53 PM
Orest has stated that they are short on SG wood. If you want old wood... get a RG.

Flintlock Tom
06-28-2012, 1:30 PM
All of the new production stocks are profiled like the WWII G.I. wood.

marinero
06-28-2012, 2:23 PM
Try the yellow sticky. If it doesn't work, nothing lost.

For $120, you can buy a new CMP walnut stock to dress up your Garand. Looks SO much better that the new orange-stained birch stock that normally comes with the service grades.

The Right to Bear Arms
06-28-2012, 5:16 PM
Hello Turnkey,

Please let me know if for whatever reason you decide to part ways with your first M1 Garand. I appreciate your pursuit of authenticity.

We're not in a state of domestic emergency so basically we're free to do what we want with our rifles.

Tbe M1 Garand is great.