View Full Version : SB 249 (worse case scenario)

06-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Disclaimer: I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I am in no way saying we should accept the SB, but what I am trying to say is some forward thinking is needed here to not become a criminal in case this bill goes through. Assuming this is a troll thread is wrong as well as assuming this bill does not have the potential to be passed is also wrong.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^read this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've actually read (as of the date of this post) all 11 pages and the handful of other SB 249 threads in the 2A section. The fighting and lack of respect in the threads makes it hard to gather a straight forward answer on how to keep our rifles legal and thus not become criminals IF this bill passes.

What I've gathered so far is that the list of what defines the "conversion kits" is so large that (if I understand it correctly) that even featureless rifles are not safe. Since aftermarket and OEM mag releases are listed. And any combination of parts listed can be used as a "conversion kit". Which makes this an extremely tricky law to not break. That last part in bold is also making this seem like it's almost impossible.

A magazine locking device accessory that converts a firearm with a “non-detachable magazine” into a firearm with a “detachable magazine;”
A detachable magazine kit, OEM or aftermarket;
A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,
A thumbhole stock;
A folding;
A telescoping stock;
A grenade launcher;
A flare launcher;
A flash suppressor;
A forward pistol grip;
A large capacity magazine;
A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
A second hand grip,
A shroud that is not attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel,
A firearm with any of the above referenced items affixed in a manner that they cannot be removed;
A firearm with the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip;
A firearm receiver;
Any other part used in an “assault weapon.”

For the AR's this seems to be applied to centerfire so a .22lr conversion should make your AR's ok since it will be rimfire and no longer applicable.

For the AK's I haven't really found a way to make them work since the OEM mag release will be listed and thus making featureless a no-go. I love my AK's and I will weld the gas blocks shut and make them bolt action if I have to. Hopefully some cal-gunners have seen something I haven't or that I overlooked. Maybe i'm over reacting or being overly paranoid but I need some help to try and make our centerfire rifle compliant to this IF this passes.

needless to say if you haven't already get off your *** and go to STOPSB249.org and get in the fight.