PDA

View Full Version : What is YOUR PURPOSE of an AR15 ???

.40Cal
06-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Hey Guys,

Just a silly question, but I've been asking myself that today? What's the purpose of getting an AR ?

- If you're into hunting, you'd probably get a bolt action, classic, light-weight, with a good scope.

- If you're into precision shooting, you'd get a custom rifle, or something with a heavy barrel, well-made, bolt action, with a high end scope. Anyone wanting to do long distance shooting would want the same.

- If the purpose is SD, you'd probably get a shotgun - 12 gage, etc....

So, what role does the AR fulfill.... ???

P.S: I just got mine recently, because I live in Kalifornia, and who knows when they would ban them here...so, don't wanna live my life missing on an opportunity to get a black rifle.

wireless
06-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I use it for self defense, hunting, and sporting. I use it legally and in a safe manner. Since I do those two things, what I use it for shouldn't matter.

Ruiner
06-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Because I wanted one. :)

TNP'R
06-26-2012, 10:25 PM

Same, I use mine for plinking and maybe for SHTF purposes. But the main reason is just because I wanted one.

devilchien0105
06-26-2012, 10:28 PM
The AR teaches me how to be an law abiding citizen!!!

1forall
06-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Because it's an excellent rifle. It can serve as an all purpose rifle (to some degree), SD/HD...hunting...precision...and battle. I love the look, and I personally own them because I can. God bless America, our 2nd Amendment right, and Calguns.

problemchild
06-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Blue helmet defense

stix213
06-26-2012, 10:33 PM
#1 Fun to shoot
#2 Fun project to build and tweek (ever have LEGOs as a kid?)
#3 Gives me a good reason to go out and do something on the weekends
#4 Self Defense (though a handgun would generally be my first choice)

04slogoat
06-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I have the wrong battle rifle (scar16) to post here but mine, it brings back memories and reminds me of my old brothers-in-arms from basic training and all the way to combat.

Ripon83
06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
My hand gun in great for self defense. It will provide me enough fire power to get to my AR.

ojisan
06-26-2012, 10:37 PM
As far as a centerfire rifle goes, the .223/ 5.56 is about the easiest on recoil out there.
The M1 Carbine is a little softer on recoil but does not shoot to distance anywhere near as well.
The AR can be plenty accurate, I have shot some 1/2" groups at 100 yards with bulk ammo on a few occasions.
If it does not shoot right, the barrel can be changed easily, not so for my previous rifle, the Mini-14.
The rest of its parts can also be swapped from tacticool to target to hunter in a couple hours at most.
You can even change calibers if you want.
Ammo is not too expensive, especially when surplus is available.
None of the above is possible with a bolt gun, or at least, it is much more difficult.
It's really a good platform.

The frst real crime I was a victim of, a take-over armed robbery, the bad guys had M-16s stolen from the Marine Corp.
My biggest interest in guns is self defense, if the bad guys have AR / AK / whatever, then prudence dictates that I have one too.

ptgarcia
06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
It's my all purpose rifle, used for plinking, self defense, SHTF, zombies, and anything else the .223 is good for. And they are just damn cool!

ExtremeX
06-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Hey Guys,

Just a silly question, but I've been asking myself that today? What's the purpose of getting an AR ?

- If you're into hunting, you'd probably get a bolt action, classic, light-weight, with a good scope.

- If you're into precision shooting, you'd get a custom rifle, or something with a heavy barrel, well-made, bolt action, with a high end scope. Anyone wanting to do long distance shooting would want the same.

Itís one of my favorite because it can fill every role you mentioned above... including the shotgun with a .410 shot shell.

It can be built into anything you want. It really is a Lego set.

I have a light weight carbine and a 24" bench precision setup. There are multiple calibers available for it, and many different ways you can get it all setup for a multi-use role.

Even if you have just 1 AR, you can still own multiple uppers and or optics for the same rifle changing its application with ease.

Itís become my favorite rifle due to its aftermarket support, versatility, and the fact itís just a damn good platform. I primarily use it for defense and target shooting.

Vacaville
06-26-2012, 10:49 PM
So many advantages that override the lack of a powerful cartridge. High ammo capacity, semi-auto, light weight, quick to aim, lego-like customization, accurate as a bolt action if you have the right barrel. It's the modern day equivalent of a lever action carbine. A truly multi-purpose, all-around gun.

About the only thing you can't really do well with it in .223 configuration is hunt large game, but even then you can get a large bore upper.

edwardjames
06-26-2012, 11:00 PM
i use it for everything you( the OP ) listed.

you can't effectively use a bolt action for self defense, you cant use a shot gun as a precision shooter, but you CAN have a little bit of everything in a single rifle.

sure it might not be as good as a dedicated firearm, but you can count on it time and time again to get the job done.

kurac
06-26-2012, 11:02 PM
I felt like it so I bought a couple, and I will probably get a few more, I don't think I need to justify it.

russ69
06-26-2012, 11:05 PM
... If you're into precision shooting, you'd get a custom rifle, or something with a heavy barrel, well-made, bolt action, with a high end scope. Anyone wanting to do long distance shooting would want the same.

If you want to be the national champ rifle shooter, you will probably use an AR-15 or a variant. If you want to be the service rifle champion, chances are even better you'll use an AR15.

pinoy916
06-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Because every american household should own one. Most importanly if we had to go to battle for this country, the AR would def be more useful than any damn handgun or 12gauge.!!! :)

Mossy Man
06-26-2012, 11:07 PM
It's my fun gun. It's a hobby.

I have the mini 14, shotgun, and handgun for self defense.

With the bullet button it really can't be any more anyway.

TripleThreat
06-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Because I can't have a M16.

Spyder
06-26-2012, 11:09 PM
This is America? :D

DannyInSoCal
06-26-2012, 11:10 PM
If you have to ask.......

artoaster
06-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Have you ever done a Defensive Shotgun class? A shotgun takes a lot of practice to be effective in a self defensive role, unless of course you get lucky and it's over with the first shot!

Your SG cartridges are loose and not contained in magazines or clips and so it requires constant feeding to stay up and running. A magazine loaded carbine is more effective at maintaining firepower with relatively easier mag changes and higher capacity.

ChaneRZ
06-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Thought It'd be cool to have one.

Legasat
06-26-2012, 11:16 PM
I have one because I didn't get to play with enough Lego as a kid....

Cucv
06-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I have wanted one since i had a battery powered squirt gun of one when i was a kid.

Lexustech48
06-26-2012, 11:26 PM
If SHTF, that bullet button would be gone INSTANTLY.

I got my Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport because it was a hell of a value built buy a reputable maker of firearms.

As my next gun, I was dead set on getting a Kimber Custom II TLE RL full frame 1911. One day, I was at the range with my dad and our shotguns (his Maverick 88, and my new 500) and decided to try out the bad *** $2000 AR they had for rent. Thing of it was, that $2000 AR was actually $1000 bucks which was the same price as the Kimber. I figured, if Im spending about $1000 on my new firearm.... why not use it on a great platform like an AR instead of a pistol?

Thus when I was able to, i picked up my Smith and Wesson rifle for 200 cheaper than I was planning on paying for a 1911. Best change in my mind ive made in a while! And I wanted to get one ASAP before some a-hole in Sac-town makes it criminal for me to own one and use it to defend myself against criminals who would use a stolen one against me. (hell of a run on sentence). :D

anymoose
06-26-2012, 11:26 PM
To shoot stuff good

Josh3239
06-26-2012, 11:28 PM
The AR does it all, that is why it is so popular for military, LE, hunting, competition, plinking and as a SHTF rifle. It serves whatever purpose I need it for.

angrypeccary
06-26-2012, 11:32 PM
i used an m16 in the army and sort of miss it so i bought an built an ar15. i usually go target shooting with it and hunt coyotes. my heavy barrel bolt action 308 is not fun to hike and stalk prey. ar 15's are part of our american history and are excellent rifles for people who cant handle recoil from larger cal rifles or shotguns plus the ammo is cheaper than 308s

mif_slim
06-26-2012, 11:36 PM
To be like everyone else....jk.

Have one because I can.

$P-Ritch$
06-26-2012, 11:39 PM
I strictly own ARs for fun. They are very easy to take apart and modify and dress up however you like (barbies for grown men). I like to learn/improve my use and capabilities of it just like any other firearm. Then it is also an excellent platform for 3-gun, which is also very fun.

frankm
06-26-2012, 11:42 PM
[/COLOR][/I]

I want it, cause the commies don't want me to have it.

wash
06-26-2012, 11:42 PM
I've got a 6.8 SPC that will make a great hunting rifle if I ever actually go hunting.

I'm building an "evil space gun" for long range shooting.

I've got a mid-length 16" that is a very nice SHTF weapon.

Then there are AR pistols...

The ergonomics are good which is important and when you have several similar guns that do different things well but all share similar ergonomics, it's easier to move from one gun to another.

Donk310
06-26-2012, 11:43 PM

^This. I don't see myself ever doing much more than plinking and dressing it up like a Barbie doll.

spitfirejes
06-26-2012, 11:44 PM
My main purpose in getting my AR is ..... well to be honest because I can. It's a good all around multi-purpose gun.

IntoForever
06-26-2012, 11:50 PM
To prove the AK is superior! :troll:

Seriously though, I liked that I can have multiple uppers and quickly swap it out to what I need for the time so I bought a stripped lower and started my build assembly. 5 lowers later.... :rolleyes:
Also, to piss off the gun grabbers!

04slogoat
06-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Have you ever done a Defensive Shotgun class? A shotgun takes a lot of practice to be effective in a self defensive role, unless of course you get lucky and it's over with the first shot!

Your SG cartridges are loose and not contained in magazines or clips and so it requires constant feeding to stay up and running. A magazine loaded carbine is more effective at maintaining firepower with relatively easier mag changes and higher capacity.

I take classes, its called MW3 on PS3.

anymoose
06-27-2012, 12:01 AM
I take classes, its called MW3 on PS3.

those are nub classes, 3l337 classes take place on the PC.

m03
06-27-2012, 12:31 AM
For engagement-distance hunting and self-defense (and as covered elsewhere, .223/5.56 is excellent for home defense).

my_name_is_john
06-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Its a hobby. An expensive one.

17+1
06-27-2012, 9:46 AM
All my AR's are target rifles. Errr, wait...I meant it is my zombie sniper rifle for when SHTF. :p

cannon
06-27-2012, 9:49 AM
Same as the rest of my guns. Target shooting, plinking and shooting games with friends.

Brown Rock
06-27-2012, 10:12 AM

Same here. :thumbsup:

shadowofnight
06-27-2012, 10:31 AM
My 5.56 AR's are just for fun
458 Socom AR for BIG fun, but would be what I would take if we do another pig hunt.
260 Remington AR I use exclusively on the 500 meter metal range.

If SHTF, thats what my Socom II is for....

milotrain
06-27-2012, 10:34 AM
National Match shooting. The AR platform can be plenty accurate and compete comfortably even up to 1000yards if built correctly and run with heavy VLD bullets. It's the "all things to all men" gun (except that it's plastic).

If I couldn't shoot the AR I doubt that I'd shoot Highpower. It'd be too expensive.

Chontkleer
06-27-2012, 10:37 AM
I strap mine to my thigh with the Magpul Ex10Z Tactical Engagement System Tabletop Enhancement Sling. It's basically intended to complement the crusty glue-on operator beard by Mercin' Force.

C4iGrant
06-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Hey Guys,

P.S: I just got mine recently, because I live in Kalifornia, and who knows when they would ban them here...so, don't wanna live my life missing on an opportunity to get a black rifle.

The great thing about the AR is that it is like an SUV. Want to varmint hunt with it? Can do the job. Want to target shoot? Can do that the job. Want it for defensive purposes? Can do that the job.

Interesting about the SG being for Home Defense. I am not sure why people choose this weapon over an AR or pistol.

If I was king for a day, I would make everyone that chooses a SG for HD to spend a day in a live fire shoot house to see what it is like clearing rooms with it. Then, I would have them sit down with a ballistics expert to better understand penetration (or lack there of) of various loads.

C4

Dreaded Claymore
06-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I have an AR-15 primarily for pretending that I am an e133t operat0r. The AR-15 is a relatively lightweight, accurate self-loading rifle, which of course makes it my best choice for fighting as a member of a small unit against the Undead Nazi Skeletons commanded by an Evil SS Sorcerer from Argentina.

Seriously. The AR-15 is a good weapon for all kinds of applications, but the primary reason I have one is that they are freaking cool.

IPSICK
06-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Hey Guys,

All of the above. My AR is light enough for me to go hunting with, sub-1/2 MOA precise, and handy enough to defend a home with.

I don't expect it to fulfill all these roles but I'm just saying it can. Btw, I went the bolt-action route and I couldn't shoot a damn with them. That is just me though.

Tyler
06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
My AR15 is also my deer rifle. In the last 4 years, I have killed 8 deer with it. I'm not alone. More and more people are using the platform for sporting guns.

-Tyler

P.Charm
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
range gun

someR1
06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
killing zombies, of course

MikeR
06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
To shred all my junk mail.

....and of course the zombies.

MrPlink
06-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Mine is meant to crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women.

BlackCement3
06-27-2012, 1:08 PM
all of the above... but mainly to feed my addiction

bladerunner67
06-27-2012, 1:11 PM
I bought and built mine for the "children":rolleyes: On a serious note, it's cheaper to shoot than my 10mm Delta Elite and it's a fun gun to shoot. If you really have to ask then you just don't get it.

Dan in Sillycon Valley

SURVIVOR619
06-27-2012, 1:20 PM
Because I can only take my handguns to a certain level of tacti-coolness, so had to raise it to new levels of mall ninja status!

That aside, I love my AR, and have to admit that I've been shooting my AR more than my AK lately... It also shoots Wolf and more accurately out of my hand/eyes combo.

bruss01
06-27-2012, 1:29 PM
Hey Guys,

My purpose is as follows: The best fighting/defensive/combat rifle courses that are taught are AR-15 centric. The techniques taught, favor that platform. Sure, you can attend these classes with an AK, or an M1 Carbine, or an SKS, but there will be plenty of things that are different that will hold you back and/or keep you from getting the most from the class. Things like grip, cheek weld, reloading technique... if you were doing it on an AR the instructor would instantly know what you were doing wrong and how to correct it... with a different platform, with which he is unfamiliar, he can only guess and hope you somehow figure it out. While your mind is on that little glitch, the rest of the class is moving on to learning the next thing. Don't laugh, I've had a similar experience at a shotgun class. The instructor was familiar with Mossberg 5xx guns and Remington 870's. He could not help me when I had issues with my Remington 11-87. Fortunately I had a Mossberg along as backup.

So I have an AR-15 generally to take classes and improve my rifle-handling skills. It is also there as a deterrent to tyrrany, and as a safeguard against an occasion of civil unrest. I have many other guns that I can also lean back on for the latter two, but none is as suitable as the AR for taking classes that are taught and taken by guys who may well have never held any other rifle in their lives, or consider any other gun an archaic "joke". They know the AR, and can teach the AR. I can then take the skills I have learned and adapt them to whatever other gun in my collection seems to make sense to me.

BlackCement3
06-27-2012, 1:29 PM
Not to mention they make great doorstops and back scratchers as well :)

tba02
06-27-2012, 1:52 PM
Because I get funny looks when I play with legos.

zfields
06-27-2012, 2:02 PM
Same answer as when people ask how many guns you have.

None of your damn business.

chicoredneck
06-27-2012, 2:04 PM
I use mine strictly or hunting.

Modern AR15s are every bit as precise as a bolt action and far more versatile. Why limit yourself with a bolt action when a good AR15 can do all a bolt action can and then some (in regards to hunting)?

HPGunner
06-27-2012, 2:05 PM
For target shooting, self defense, and blasting stuff in the desert. It's such a cool weapon.

bruss01
06-27-2012, 2:13 PM

Yes, I have. Twice.

Your criticisms of the defensive shotgun are valid. That doesn't mean a shotgun cannot be effective in a defensive or tactical role. Would you hand someone an AR when they are completely unfamiliar with the rifle's operation, and just send them into harm's way with it? Of course not. Part of becomming competent with any gun is learning how to operate it for maximum effectiveness. The shotgun is still arguably the most heavily employed police long-gun, although the AR has made significant inroads in that area. Part of learning to operate a shotgun is learning to keep it fed, and yes, an AR is easier to keep fed than a shotgun is (except Saiga's). Shotguns can be effective in some situations - BUT... you DO have to LEARN how to use it!

Here's one factor in favor of a shotgun. Fighting is a chaotic event. If for whatever reason a shotgun round is fired over the rooftops (could happen for multiple reasons beyond the shooter's voluntary control) a shotgun round will lose a lot of steam after 100-150 yards or so. A bullet from a rifle could carry much MUCH further with lethal consequences. Not saying either is better... just a matter of trade-offs.

In an endeavor of which the most important factor is arguably shot placement, having 9 potentially lethal projectiles launched with a single trigger pull can be seen as advantageous. That's 9 chances to impact something vital and fight-stopping, as those 00 pellets carreen wildly around the thoracic cavity like so many frightened pidgeons taking wing. A shotgun can be BIG MEDICINE. That does not make it superior to the AR... just different.

If you do the math, a defensive shotgun like the Mossberg 590 will hold 8 rounds when loaded as per the factory, and another 6 rounds can ride sidesaddle for ready access. At 9 pellets per round of 00 buck, that makes 72 projectiles launched without needing to reload. The only thing that beats that capacity in an AR is a Beta-C mag toting 100. AND the shotgun can be topped up on the go (AR can't) AND you can insert a slug at the top of your mag for special tasks, or any other specialty round (breaching, etc). Again, that doesn't make it superior to the AR. Just different.

I definitely wouldn't want a shotgun if I were going out "patroling" or bugging out or any objective where I potentially have to cover a lot of ground on foot. The shotgun just isn't adapted well for that. The AR-15 is. If you encounter a "horde" or "gang" of adversaries... the shotgun isn't adapted well to spreading it's payload among them. The AR-15 is. More "not better, just different".

I think everyone should learn how to use the most commonly available weapons in our culture. The AR is one, certainly... but so is the ubiquitous pump-action shotgun. You never know when you'll find yourself in a situation and all you have available at the moment is whatever happens to be on hand there at your friend's house, or the security office at the mall, or wherever you happen to have found yourself when shizzle decided to get real. If you find yourself in a life-threatening situation, and all you know is the AR - but all your buddy has on hand to lend you is a pump shottie... you're going to wish you maybe had gotten a shotgun and taken a few fighting classes with it. More than any other single thing, what counts most in a fight is SKILL. A will to live comes in damn handy too, but that kind of goes without saying.

And that's one big reason why I have an AR (to come back on topic). Because there are so FREAKIN' many of them, there's likely to be one around if/when I find myself in a position to need a gun and mine just aren't at hand for whatever reason. And I want to be VERY well acquainted with them for just that very reason.

Sumo99
06-27-2012, 2:15 PM
Because I get funny looks when I play with legos.
My main reason for having kids ;)

troysland
06-27-2012, 2:34 PM
I like to play dress-up...
http://miasmaticreview.mu.nu/mt-static/AR15%20Barbie%20Doll%20for%20Guys.jpg

Capybara
06-27-2012, 2:48 PM
I pretty much bought my ARs because I can. Because just a few short years ago, they were banned. Because Senator Yee and his ilk don't want me to own them. Doesn't matter if they are useful or good for hunting or target shooting, I bought them because Sacramento doesn't want me to.

Ken Woodford
06-27-2012, 3:14 PM
The AR teaches me how to be an law abiding citizen!!!

And to keep others law abiding too!!! LOL

For me...because I look damn good with it!!! LOL

No I bought mine for hunting, shooting and end times.

smurfette
06-27-2012, 3:21 PM
target shooting at 40, 50, 100 yards for now. just bought one last month..
it's fun to shoot with

MrPlink
06-27-2012, 3:23 PM
Oh yeah, and to remind me of why I like AKs better

http://25.media.tumblr.com/avatar_6feb8634e3d0_128.png

weber_2
06-27-2012, 4:30 PM
Zombies, aliens, Commies, cartels and that werewolves (The Howling type not the fruity Twilight type)

weber_2
06-27-2012, 4:30 PM
Zombies, aliens, Commies, cartels and werewolves (The Howling type not the fruity Twilight type)

CSACANNONEER
06-27-2012, 4:33 PM
Which one of my ARs?

One is built for 1000 yard precision shooting (50BMG upper) and holds it's own at matches.

A few are built for plinking, hunting and can play the role of a SD gun too.

DFF
06-27-2012, 5:32 PM
Blue helmet defense :43:

Aeonstar
06-27-2012, 6:22 PM
Because this says I can

II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

And I love killing coyotes with it.

glock7
06-27-2012, 7:39 PM
My AR's are do all. Plinking, HD, SHTF, zombies, financial collapse.

UndercoverPaisa
06-27-2012, 7:57 PM
Collection and financial collapse.

Scratch705
06-27-2012, 7:58 PM
something to scare anti-gunners with by saying i have a military assault rifle.

Sniper3142
06-27-2012, 7:58 PM
I like to play dress-up...
http://miasmaticreview.mu.nu/mt-static/AR15%20Barbie%20Doll%20for%20Guys.jpg

Awesome pic!

And totally correct.

The AR15 is THE most flexible rifle currently out there (caliber, barrel length & profile, optics, grips, stocks, controls, etc). It can be configured to fit almost ANY desired use (Hunting, Target Shooting, Plinking, Home Defense, Competition, etc). And most of these changes can be made either without tools, or with minimal requirements.

atsaubrey
06-27-2012, 8:09 PM
Because the 2nd amendment of my constitution says I can have one and my right shall not be infringed.

Sledge
06-27-2012, 8:19 PM
For people who use bath salts and try to break into my house and...........just because it looks pretty awesome

Agent 0range
06-27-2012, 8:25 PM
Because I have BRD.

chead
06-27-2012, 8:29 PM
Because I can. Now ask me why I have AKs too.

den888
06-27-2012, 8:35 PM
Just nice to have one, I suppose.

calnurse
06-27-2012, 8:39 PM
I got one because California says it's too evil to own one and yet the bullet button was devised. It feels neutered compared to my wife's uncle RAW and his other AR-15s in Texas but as he states "its better than nothing"!

cfusionpm
06-27-2012, 8:45 PM
Mine is a toy. Something I can switch and swap around with different accessories. Something that looks cool and is fun to shoot. Low recoil and cheaper to shoot than .308. I can't say that it really serves any practical purpose other than sporting fun. I would never really use it in a defensive role (got four pistols and an M1A Scout for that).

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4901/img9291h.jpg

high_revs
06-27-2012, 9:01 PM
because i can once, twice, thrice, etc. :D

i won't consider what i have are precision gigs in the true sense. i'd only consider 1 or 2 shtf due to weight (light). probably not my HD choice either since i'd prefer the pistol and once i get a 18" barrel for the 870, that'll be primary.

so... just cuz... that's your reason.

Hey Guys,

smittty
06-27-2012, 9:04 PM
Hey Guys,

Purely a fun gun IMO and there are so many in civilian hands that it adds to our national security. Every responsible American should own one!

kmca
06-27-2012, 9:09 PM
Nobody said 3 gun yet? That's what I use mine for, except for a few squirrels.

SVenigma
06-27-2012, 9:27 PM
To send boolits downrange while looking tacticool.

Schlyme
06-27-2012, 9:48 PM
I got mine because the *****hats in Sacramento say I can't, and they were wrong! Plus I want a complete collection. M1903, M1 garand, M1 carbine, M1A( M-14). I diverge but as far as handguns I will hopefully get the only one I really wanted soon, M1911A1!

You can blame TV for this :p

motox917
06-27-2012, 9:50 PM
Because I can, quicker follow up shots while hunting VS a bolt gun, because I can, to scare anti-gun people, because I can, because I missed out when the assault weapons ban passed last time (barely too young to buy one), because I can, SHTF situations, because i can, home defense, because I can, they make women wet the same way fast cars and motorcycles do, and BECAUSE I CAN :)

daking
06-27-2012, 10:08 PM
I got mine because the *****hats in Sacramento say I can't, and they were wrong! Plus I want a complete collection. M1903, M1 garand, M1 carbine, M1A( M-14). I diverge but as far as handguns I will hopefully get the only one I really wanted soon, M1911A1!

X2. That would be a great collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smog7
06-27-2012, 10:10 PM
to take pictures of and post on calguns!

is this supposed to be some type of research or something?

$P-Ritch$
06-27-2012, 10:24 PM

You're missing the 1898 Krag-Jorgensen rifle. They are a blast to shoot and the side trap door magazine is pretty cool.

CRTguns
06-27-2012, 10:44 PM
competition... win stuff. Generally more stuff for more shooting... so kinda self perpetuating.:D

projectalpha
06-27-2012, 11:22 PM
basically because I like ARs.

twohi2play
06-28-2012, 12:04 AM
For protection from people like me.

dem0critus
06-28-2012, 1:28 AM
Because i want something to fondle while I watch "Navy Seals" and "The Rock".

Just kidding I don't even own an AR :P

realgreenfire
06-28-2012, 2:09 AM
i bought mine because people have started eating other peoples faces! (crazy talk..)
but other than that, they are fun to shoot :)

Divernhunter
06-28-2012, 3:25 AM
Just another toy to have. Also it fills in my collection of USA rifles from the Trapdoor to current mil types.
I have better rifles for all different uses to use, but it is fun to shoot.

teh.killer.of.zombies
06-28-2012, 4:49 AM
I own six, I enjoy this platform and so do my young ones. And to not have one is just plain out right, unconstitutional.

trob
06-28-2012, 4:55 AM
For hunting only.

bohoki
06-28-2012, 10:40 AM
for shooting pleasure

captbilly
06-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I am primarily a target shooter so I have built up several AR-15 and LR-308 heavy barrel target rifles. I also have a lightweight AR-15 that I use as a toy but it would be a very nice hunting rifle for someone who hunts. I was thinking about building an LR-308 with carbon wrapped barrel so that I could use it for target work but it would be light enough for hunting (I haven't gotten around to it yet). The main reason for the immense popularity of the AR platform is the ease with which it can be built for a wide variety of purposes. A good AR target rifle can come within a hair of being as good as the best bolt action target rifles. An AR-15 or LR 308 can be built as light as a typical bolt action hunting rifle, and it can have similar accuracy. You can also build up all sorts of zombie killing movie toys, complete with quad rails, lights, lasers, night vision and FLIR, whatever. The point is that the AR is not a compromise rifle (compromising accuracy, weight, reliability, for the assault rifle look) but a purpose built rifle that you can build to suit what you want to do with it.

Sicarius
06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Primarily for fun. No practical purpose for me other than making noise and good fun. Granted if things were to go south it will have a roll to serve... The same thought can be applied to any hobby though... What practical purpose do my two mustangs serve... What is the purpose of golf, knitting, painting, underwater basket weaving, etc? It all boils down to what you enjoy. Not everything needs a purpose or serve a roll.
Kevin

projectalpha
06-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Primarily for fun. No practical purpose for me other than making noise and good fun. Granted if things were to go south it will have a roll to serve... The same thought can be applied to any hobby though... What practical purpose do my two mustangs serve... What is the purpose of golf, knitting, painting, underwater basket weaving, etc? It all boils down to what you enjoy. Not everything needs a purpose or serve a roll.
Kevin

what? Where can I get an AR that serves rolls?!

j/k ;)

MrExel17
06-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Its a hobby. An expensive one.

Please dont remind me..LOL

h0use
06-28-2012, 11:56 AM
because they are fun!

Schlyme
06-28-2012, 4:50 PM
I am primarily a target shooter so I have built up several AR-15 and LR-308 heavy barrel target rifles. I also have a lightweight AR-15 that I use as a toy but it would be a very nice hunting rifle for someone who hunts. I was thinking about building an LR-308 with carbon wrapped barrel so that I could use it for target work but it would be light enough for hunting (I haven't gotten around to it yet). The main reason for the immense popularity of the AR platform is the ease with which it can be built for a wide variety of purposes. A good AR target rifle can come within a hair of being as good as the best bolt action target rifles. An AR-15 or LR 308 can be built as light as a typical bolt action hunting rifle, and it can have similar accuracy. You can also build up all sorts of zombie killing movie toys, complete with quad rails, lights, lasers, night vision and FLIR, whatever. The point is that the AR is not a compromise rifle (compromising accuracy, weight, reliability, for the assault rifle look) but a purpose built rifle that you can build to suit what you want to do with it.

In other words, it's a "swiss army" rifle. A million and one options and uses :p

Press Check
06-28-2012, 4:59 PM
Just because...

rogervzv
06-28-2012, 9:31 PM
Zombies. I am ready for them.

donking
06-28-2012, 9:43 PM
:cool2: what they said

Because every american household should own one. Most importanly if we had to go to battle for this country, the AR would def be more useful than any damn handgun or 12gauge.!!! :)

Same as the rest of my guns. Target shooting, plinking and shooting games with friends.

Same here. :thumbsup:

killing zombies, of course

Same answer as when people ask how many guns you have.

None of your damn business.

Just nice to have one, I suppose.

for shooting pleasure

because they are fun!

Zombies. I am ready for them.

AeroEngi
06-28-2012, 9:45 PM
If you guys haven't signed the petition opposing SB249 yet, please do so. The link is in my signature. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Crunch130
06-28-2012, 9:50 PM
Because my 92-lb, 5'3" daughter wanted something bigger to shoot than a .22 LR.

My Mausers & Mosin were too big, heavy, & too much recoil for her. So I built a DPMS Sportical carbine & put a small scope (1.5-4.5 X 32) on it. Fun, fun, fun & gave me an opportunity to take lots of other people rifle shooting who otherwise wouldn't enjoy it.

Crunch

SKSer45
06-28-2012, 9:53 PM
Because my 92-lb, 5'3" daughter wanted something bigger to shoot than a .22 LR.

My Mausers & Mosin were too big, heavy, & too much recoil for her. So I built a DPMS Sportical carbine & put a small scope (1.5-4.5 X 32) on it. Fun, fun, fun & gave me an opportunity to take lots of other people rifle shooting who otherwise wouldn't enjoy it.

Crunch

Yeah I agree with you on the Crunch. Many of my female friends love the AR. Little recoil and for them fun to shoot. Its like a beacon for new shooters and my friends love it. To them its really easy and its fun watching them shoot it.

However being a hardcore 7.62X39 and 8mm I wouldn't rely on it in the real world. After all 4 years in the Marines and seeing how sh*tty an AR 15 really is in combat conditions, no thanks and never again.

jm13690
06-28-2012, 10:02 PM
My initial though of getting one was I liked the idea of being able to switch uppers and have a whole new caliber of gun/different gun.

But ended up just building another AR for calibers and not switching uppers.

BrianRodela
06-28-2012, 10:21 PM
The AR allowed me to get into High Powered Rifle competition at a much lower price and be competitive. For 1100-1200, you can compete and win. For the M1A, you could douple the price and then you'd might be getting close to having a rifle that can compete. Add to that the cost of ammunition differences between the two and you can see how it's helping newer competitors get involved with competitive shooting sports. Also it's pretty damn cool to hit shotgun shells at 50 yards and golfballs at 100 with irons!!!

scotty99
06-28-2012, 10:40 PM
I bought my first AR when I found out the state of CA wasn't going to let me buy one in the future. Now it's a fun plinking gun, and the favorite of every new shooter I take to the range. "You're allowed to have THAT?!" Priceless.

bubbapug1
06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
AR's are definitly THE go to gun for High Power Competition. There is no better rifle, and in the service class you must shoot an AR, a M1A, or a M1. Of the three, there is no doubt the AR is superiour in almost all aspects. (although a M1 Garand is a more beautiful weapon IMHO)

I have really learned a lot from shooting XTC 200, 300, and 600 yard meets with an NM AR15 with Iron sight. One thing I learned is an AR with fitted with iron sights and a Turner sling can shoot up to 300 yards almost as good as a scoped gun. I have seen guys shoot 3/4 moa with Iron sights out to 600 yards. I have shot 1 moa with iron sights at 300 yards slow fire and I suck!

At 600 yards its not really all about the rifle, its more about the wind at times, especially with 77 and 80 grain bullets.

Once you really learn what your AR can do it would be pretty hard to come up with a gun that can deliver so much for so little, and be so simple...not to mention cost so little too.

hkusp
06-29-2012, 2:32 AM
Purpose? To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of their women!

scglock
06-29-2012, 2:59 AM
For plinking and because its awesome.

chad68
06-29-2012, 3:16 AM
I got one because all the other cool kids have one.

Now I'm getting another, just to pi$s off Yee.

bob7122
06-29-2012, 6:23 AM
because it is easy to be accurate, the recoil imo is non existent, ammo is pretty cheap, and in a riot/chaos i can reach out and touch ppl as they approach.

Laser Sailor
06-29-2012, 7:57 AM
Because it pisses Nancy Pelosi off....

Tackman11
06-29-2012, 8:02 AM
Practicing my right and take out zombies when it need.

Timbob55
06-29-2012, 8:08 AM
#1 Add to my colletion
#2 Self defense/SHTF scenarios
#3 Plinking/small game
#4 It looks really cool!

welchy
06-29-2012, 8:53 AM
The zombies aren't going to kill themselves now are they. ;)

RAMCHARGER
06-29-2012, 8:59 AM
Because we can shout "Charlies at the wire! Open fire!!" with them...
I just got back from outta state were my son ownes beta mags for them! I'm still all giddy... :)

Noonanda
06-29-2012, 9:04 AM
Hey Guys,

My main Coyote gun... an AR 20 heavy barrel
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/38187_1515374451737_4499263_n.jpg

Same gun different ammo
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/38187_1515374451737_4499263_n.jpg

my Fun "tacticool" gun
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/25423_1395942866022_7665540_n.jpg

HKDoc
06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Hk mr556, to show off to my friends!

cabinetguy
06-29-2012, 11:36 AM
my AR serves as weight to hold down my safe to keep it from getting stolen. I know a brick would probably be better for this role, but the LGS was out of bricks, and I didnt want a cinder block.

ssteve
06-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Hey Guys,

Hunting what? AR platform is the best varmint platform available imo.

Whats long distance to you? 1000meters? AR's do that just fine, hold more rounds and have less recoil.

IMO a shotgun takes a back seat to most handguns.

Specific Pacific
06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
zombies. definitely for zombies.

ChangeMyNameToStupid
06-29-2012, 3:18 PM
I like to compensate for the areas I lack in.

NOTABIKER
06-29-2012, 4:29 PM
i had my own m 16 in 1968, it was perfect for that job. i do not want one now. much better rifles out their for target shooting or hunting. yes they look cool and you feel like a war hero having one. you puppies out their like your bling . my son in law just picked up a i think a DEL TON AR. he loves it. my problem is i am a old geeezer. i am out dated for sure.:rolleyes:

Noonanda
06-29-2012, 10:07 PM
i had my own m 16 in 1968, it was perfect for that job. i do not want one now. much better rifles out their for target shooting or hunting. yes they look cool and you feel like a war hero having one. you puppies out their like your bling . my son in law just picked up a i think a DEL TON AR. he loves it. my problem is i am a old geeezer. i am out dated for sure.:rolleyes:

First off, Thank you for your Service. I think thats why I like the AR/M-16 platform so much, I have carried one for roughly 19 years and I am just comfortable with it.

peter95
06-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Fun to shoot
Its Bad As$

And its like Legos for adults

SactoPlinker
06-29-2012, 10:59 PM
1. Because its sexy ;)
2. I wanted one
3. It fulfills its duty as range rifle, and HD if it came down to it, but my hallways are narrow so I'd probably just whack em' with a baton.

problemchild
06-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Because I can't<legally, in PRK> have a M16.

Fixed it for ya

gunnerstuff
06-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Because it's the only true weapons platform available in civvies.

Lexustech48
06-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Because it's the only true weapons platform available in civvies.

m-14/M1a is a hell of a platform from what Ive been seeing. In fact, after I get my Ruger 10/22, its the next rifle I plan on acquiring. Stocks and Sage chassis can make it as tacticool or classic as you want. Accurate, rugged platform, lots of accessories due to the Picatinny rails on the sage chassis. did i mention its chambered .308 Winchester? :D

Merovign
06-30-2012, 2:21 AM
Has anyone mentioned ergonomics yet? One of the most comfortable and easy-to-handle rifles ever made. Partly because of decades of upgrades and improvements.

People don't hop up Honda Civics because they're great performance cars. They do it because everybody does it so the experience and cheap parts are readily available.

It's the West's Standard Light Rifle.

SFgiants105
06-30-2012, 2:31 AM
Plinking/hunting

if I had the money for ammo, I'd be practicing 3 gun stuff.

a1fabweld
06-30-2012, 3:08 AM
I like AR's strictly for use in sexual games.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-30-2012, 9:01 AM
The AR-15 is the classic American late 20th century battle rifle. It is practically mandatory to own at least one.

As for me, it is the go to self defense carbine as configured in featureless, and 100% Cal-legal. I enjoy shooting SKS and Mosins more, so the AR is not really a recreational gun for me, but rather a tool. I still love them though!

AM9000
06-30-2012, 11:12 AM

+1000

major burnout
06-30-2012, 11:56 AM
To protect my country from people who are worried about what my purpose is for owning an AR.... and zombies.

Hibs
06-30-2012, 12:49 PM
I use mine for hunting. I've got a nice bolt action, but when calling in predators such as coyotes I've often called in doubles or triples. It's super nice to have a semi-auto where I never have to lose my sight picture.

My combo consists of Rock River Arms "Predator Pursuit" upper, 20", .223wylde chamber.... lower is a New Frontier Armory polymer with A2 butt stock. Topped it with a Leupold Mark AR series 3-9x40 scope with Leupold one piece mount.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/HibsLX/photobucket-4932-1335213485517.jpg

It shoots great with factory loads. This was 55grain hornady "Z-Max" @100 yards...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/HibsLX/photobucket-30617-1335998899978.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/HibsLX/photobucket-10585-1335998863362.jpg

donw
06-30-2012, 1:25 PM
i have a precision upper in 5.56 that has a short, heavy barrel that enables me to shoot very precisely for hunting, plinking, or serious target work; i prefer the open A2/3 sights. i'm impressed at the accuracy that can be had from the AR platform...

i do not feel the "Need" for semi-auto (it is fun, though... but i still see $$$$ every pull of the trigger), or even hi-cap mags..i use five round magazines.**

**NOTE: this is a PERSONAL preference. i do NOT advocate it as being for every one as does the California legislature. i don't care if people have semi-auto and hi-cap mags...it should be left to them as to their choice NOT to the legislature.

if i feel the need to shoot longer ranges (in excess of 300-350 yards) i break out the Savage 12fv in .308 Winchester.

because of it's ergonomics, i feel the AR platform is one of the best developments in firearms since the lever action was invented.

MXRider
06-30-2012, 1:30 PM
I have AR's because I am a gear whore. :)

m-14/M1a is a hell of a platform from what Ive been seeing. In fact, after I get my Ruger 10/22, its the next rifle I plan on acquiring. Stocks and Sage chassis can make it as tacticool or classic as you want. Accurate, rugged platform, lots of accessories due to the Picatinny rails on the sage chassis. did i mention its chambered .308 Winchester? :D

Disagree with you here. Every grunt that has voiced his opinion on the EBR has pretty much hated it. Sure it was cool at one time, but it gets beat in literally every way by modern rifles such as the FNH Scar 17S, LMT MWS, KAC SR25, etc.

Californio
06-30-2012, 1:32 PM
I guess you don't have a varmint problem. Of the two others I go with.

Hunter A has a Colt RAW modified with a 24" Kreiger barrel/ brake and a Magpul PRS for ground squirrel and coyote.

Hunter B has a OLL BB with a Les Baer 24" super varmint barreled upper and Magpul PRS for ground squirrel and coyote.

Hunter C (thats me) has a bull barreled bolt action.

Many Counties do not allow poison to control ground squirrel populations, so they have to be shot. We are talking 300-500 rounds expended a day with large populations of the varmint.

Hey Guys,

donw
06-30-2012, 1:49 PM
Yeah I agree with you on the Crunch. Many of my female friends love the AR. Little recoil and for them fun to shoot. Its like a beacon for new shooters and my friends love it. To them its really easy and its fun watching them shoot it.

However being a hardcore 7.62X39 and 8mm I wouldn't rely on it in the real world. After all 4 years in the Marines and seeing how sh*tty an AR 15 really is in combat conditions, no thanks and never again.

bold is my emphasis:

i think there's more of you out than than many would like to know about.

read this months article about Chris Kyle and the 5.56 sniping in iraq/afghanistan.

i can't speak about the 5.56 as a combat cartridge but i did use the M1 Garand and M1 carbine in the war in VN...they cannot hide from the 30-06.

Kappy
06-30-2012, 1:51 PM
The People's Republik didn't want me to have one... so I had to have one.

On the other hand, they don't want me to silence it, either... so I decided to buy the loudest one I could find.

Right now, mine is being used to make the smallest group possible at 100 yards from a bench. It's working well, too.

phdo
06-30-2012, 2:05 PM
The People's Republik didn't want me to have one... so I had to have one.

On the other hand, they don't want me to silence it, either... so I decided to buy the loudest one I could find.

Right now, mine is being used to make the smallest group possible at 100 yards from a bench. It's working well, too.

This.

gunnerstuff
06-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Ok, sorry. Let me expand on my reasoning for the term weapons platform. I was not inferring anything about making it tacticool, but rather on the many different calibers and configurations you can build one single rifle into. Down from an extremely light weight .22lr all the way up to a heavy 50, be it Beowulf or 50BMG, and many, many variations in between. Hell, someone even made a cross bow upper for it! All this by simply pulling 2 little pins. There is just nothing that even remotely comes close in this level of flexibility, it's the Legos of guns.

Agent Tikki
07-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Jack of all trades, master of none, is often better than the master of one.

jdouglas
07-01-2012, 12:29 AM
I was originally looking to get a Kel Tec SU16, but decided I wanted something a little sturdier like an AR15. Once I found out AR15s could actually be made CA legal, I just had to have one. :D It's for fun/plinking and making the PRK mad (and in case SHTF/zombies).

Radambe
07-01-2012, 12:30 AM
I own an AR for two reasons, one being more important TO ME than the other.

1. It's fun at the range.
2. (what i hold more dear) it is my right, as a free man to defend myself and my loved ones in a life threatening situation- that being said, my AR would not be what id hope to grab in an HD situation, but if the big one hit here in SF and i found my life threatened in a WROL situation trying to get out of the city- id be armed with something more efficient than a pistol. This is what ticks me off about a lot of pro 2A speech. It seems that more often than is appropriate someone appeases an anti-gunner by defending the right to own weapons like the AR by proclaiming it CAN be used for hunting. I don't hunt and hope to never have to. I own an AR to cover my *** should i, g-d forbid ever be forced to.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Agent Tikki
07-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Its versatile. Lightweight. Semi-auto, even full auto if you're lucky enough.

Its capable of surprising accuracy.

It can be many things.

And the best thing, if you have a few of them you can keep yourself entertained for hours just swapping around components and making up different configurations.

The purpose of my ARs are home defence, range toy, and primary for carbine classes.

tbhracing
07-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Tagged, cuz I want an AR15!

Quickdraw Mcgraw
07-01-2012, 3:50 PM
My AR does it all thats why I like it. Whats you purpose for not having one??

ScottsBad
07-01-2012, 4:49 PM
The ergonomics are great. They are fun to shoot, accurate and useful for self defense. I prefer the AR form to any other. If I needed to have just one gun it would be an AR or FN SCAR. It is more versatile than anything else I can think off.

But why ask?

It doesn't matter why, it is only important that I have the freedom to choose. SO I am suspicious of anyone asking me why I "need" and AR.

stevie
07-01-2012, 4:50 PM
I have them to tick off the wife.

Sicarius
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
what? Where can I get an AR that serves rolls?!

j/k ;)

With the right full length rail, they make an excellent back scratcher. Only the FF ones. None of that two piece bs...
Kevin

T3chnical
07-03-2012, 1:23 PM
#1 Fun to shoot
#2 Fun project to build and tweek (ever have LEGOs as a kid?)
#3 Gives me a good reason to go out and do something on the weekends
#4 Self Defense (though a handgun would generally be my first choice)

I have them to tick off the wife.

^^BOTH^^ http://bumpfire.net/forums/images/smilies/motion.gif

kcjr1125
07-03-2012, 2:26 PM
all of the above

the86d
07-03-2012, 2:31 PM
"To make hippies cry!"
"I used to sleep with her sister, and she is a twin..." (M16A2)
-----"I trained with her sister."
-----"Her sister is just as pretty!"
"I have mags that I didn't check-out, so I couldn't turn them back in."
"The bayonet works the same on a M16A2 as a 20" barrel AR-15."
"I can shoot the same ammo as I used to, and be more accurate than I was then, as I have more time with her now..."
"Because they won't let me buy a M16A2 here in California..."
"Because you can't shoot 5.56 NATO Green Tipped steel core in a .223..."

Modularity (break one, have two, make one good-out of 2 for the caliber you have left) parts available EVERYWHERE, and they are pretty cheap.

22lr, .223, 5.56, 5.45, 6.5, and 9mm:
Most are available everywhere, and can all be fired from the same lower AFAIK with maybe a mag-well adapter...
(Correct me if I am wrong.)

EDIT: Because an Armorer told me they were illegal in Cali, then I found out otherwise...
AND to make Sen. Yee wet her bloomers in fear of an Evil Black Rifle with a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath action, w/a flash suppressor (but A2, so no collapsible stock)... :)

bombadillo
07-03-2012, 2:40 PM
I use mine for 50-300 yard shooting. I plink the gong with it at the ranges, I try and be as accurate as possible with it so I'm going for 1.5" at 100 yards with cheap ammo, and self defense if it ever came to civil unrest or otherwise. I hate the term SHTF so I don't like to use it often but if I must, thats what it is for. I also like it because I like the platform as they're like legos and you can do anything you want from a 14.7" compact to a 26" competition rifle for 1k yard off hand. There are just so many options.

You can run a PSE crossbow on it, a .50bmg upper, .416 upper, and just about anything your heart desires from .22 to a .50 beowulf I just love the platform and the form as well as function.

bombadillo
07-03-2012, 2:50 PM
I will add that I have plenty of other guns for specifics like smallbore target shooting, pistols, hunting rifles, military rifles, shotguns, and other things for more specific purposes. From an 18" shotgun to a subcompact 9mm, the right tool for the right job. The AR just happens to fulfill a lot of individual roles.

njineermike
07-03-2012, 2:54 PM
Because I have the right to have one, and the Constitution of the United States of America says I can exercise that right without fear of tyrannical governmental interference.*

*Offer void in California, New York, New Jersey, Massachusets and assorted other communist crapholes worldwide.

Cnynrat
07-03-2012, 2:56 PM
Primarily to annoy Sen. Yee and his ilk. ;)

BlooDSMeaR
07-03-2012, 7:28 PM
The last ar I had, I sold the day after I put it together. Only reason I sold it was the guy offered 2x more than what I paid for it.

Sniper3142
07-03-2012, 7:52 PM
I love the fact that the OP (.40Cal) hasn't returned to this thread that they started.

Maybe its too much truth for him.

;)

xsrfs
07-03-2012, 9:34 PM
.also a little suspicious of the OP

Kappy
07-03-2012, 9:53 PM
Maybe it's Yee in disguise? But a little to literate of a post for him...

aklon
07-04-2012, 8:32 AM
I only bought one because the State of California proposed to restrict them. I even registered it because I intended to take it to the range and shoot it in public, and let the public shoot it too.

I grew up in a thirty caliber household where even the .270 was suspect. I wasn't really into .223 or M16s and I rarely took it shooting. But over the years I grew to like it, so much so that I finally built a nifty little carbine using a stripped lower and later bought a Ruger SR556.

As an aside, that original, registered AR? I maybe shoot it once every other year, but three times a year I drag it to our "Fun Shoot" where the newbies love it. That day, an average 150 rounds goes down range (10 per shooter) and even though I never shoot it myself, I still get to clean it.

I'm pretty good at it now and with my system it takes about an hour.

evidens83
07-04-2012, 9:37 AM
So I can walk around and play with it in my house while watching Blackhawk Down. Oh and to take pics with it. :43:

bob_e95482
07-04-2012, 11:29 AM
It's a handy-dandy little carbine, and is more accurate than my Mini 14, which is another handy little carbine.
When I see an AR 15 with all the tactical crap screwed onto it, it makes me puke into my mouth a little bit. KISS.

dc2integra
07-04-2012, 6:13 PM
I m really profficient with the weapon I train with it on the daily basis.Hooah

Dave07997S
07-04-2012, 7:49 PM
As a former grunt in the US Army for almost 10 years it was more of a nostalgic thing for me, not to mention I love shooting my M16. So it was a natural fit.

Dave