PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Remington 870 Trigger Roll Pin

jhj32883
06-26-2012, 8:25 PM
Hello All,

I just got my 870 out of jail and am doing an initial cleaning.

I've got it all broken down and I'm trying to pull out the trigger assembly.

The front or small roll pin came out without much fuss.

However, the large or rear roll pin will not come out. I'm using a punch and a rubber/plastic mallet. I've given it a good couple dozen smack and it's not budging. Am I missing something?

It's the 870 Express Tactical with the Knoxx stock.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Thanks.

WDE91
06-26-2012, 8:47 PM
is the pin hitting anything that it shouldnt?
tried any oil on things to help them?

Braddah Jay
06-26-2012, 8:49 PM
Try tapping it out from the other side. It should slide right out either side though. Also use a regular hammer its not gonna hurt anything.

jhj32883
06-26-2012, 8:57 PM
is the pin hitting anything that it shouldnt?
tried any oil on things to help them?

Going to try some lube to see if it helps

jhj32883
06-26-2012, 8:58 PM
Try tapping it out from the other side. It should slide right out either side though. Also use a regular hammer its not gonna hurt anything.

The other side looks like it has a lip on the pin so it appears to only go one way.

jhj32883
06-26-2012, 9:07 PM
Going to try some lube to see if it helps

No dice on the lube.

I even bent the punch I was using.

Granted, it was my smallest punch, but still.

I'm obviously applying what I would imagine to be more than sufficient force.

Any suggestions?

CK_32
06-26-2012, 9:09 PM
I agree with above. Try letting lube break up what ever gunk might be in there.

If not try the other side.

If that doesn't work try wiggling the trigger assembly while punching it out sometimes it gets at an angle and snags.

If none of that I'd say take it to the shop or send it back to Remington.

CK_32
06-26-2012, 9:10 PM
OP even try biting both sides a few times and see if you can wiggle it out or see if t even moves one way or another

jhj32883
06-26-2012, 9:31 PM
Alright, I've tried everything you guys have listed, and it's still a no go.

It's going back to the shop tomorrow. Hopefully, it's nothing and I'm just an idiot.

Other than that, thanks for the quick and varied responses.

It's greatly appreciated.

bug_eyedmonster
06-27-2012, 12:12 AM
OP, I know this might sound weird... put the front small pin back in. Then try to either pull the trigger group or push, try it both ways, but that's helped me a few times. Newer shotguns may have small burs or something holding stuff in place. If the front pin is not in, the trigger group may not be out of place just enough to prevent the rear pin from coming out. Give it a shot, it can't hurt... if wont need that much force, you shouldn't be bending anything to get them out.

Jerry

aippi
06-27-2012, 7:48 AM
There is nothing to lube. He should have stopped and took the weapon in as there is a problem here and continued baming and framing on a new weapon was wrong headed. Trigger plate pins on a Remington Shotgun are simply pushed out and should come out easy. A very small D clip called a detent spring is all that holds the pin in.

Bug Eye's advice is what the OP should have tried and if that did not work then the weapon goes in for service. I work on hundreds of these a year and have never had a trigger pin not come out when pushed and I am clueless on why the OP's will not. Being one of the most knowledgable people on this blog about Remington shotguns you would think I would know, but I don't and as Bug Eye said, something has to be binding.

jhj32883
06-27-2012, 8:25 AM
OP, I know this might sound weird... put the front small pin back in. Then try to either pull the trigger group or push, try it both ways, but that's helped me a few times. Newer shotguns may have small burs or something holding stuff in place. If the front pin is not in, the trigger group may not be out of place just enough to prevent the rear pin from coming out. Give it a shot, it can't hurt... if wont need that much force, you shouldn't be bending anything to get them out.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried that too last night. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I'll be taking it to the LGS I bought it at in a couple of hours.

Hopefully it's nothing and a more knowledgeable individual will be able to get the pin out.

Once again, thanks for all the help and dropping some knowledge on a Remington Newb.

Jay

jhj32883
06-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I took it back to the shop and it turns out that the pin was just stuck because it's a new gun.

However, the pin is super tight.

I assume that it'll get easier with use/age.

CK_32
06-27-2012, 1:48 PM
I took it back to the shop and it turns out that the pin was just stuck because it's a new gun.

However, the pin is super tight.

I assume that it'll get easier with use/age.

How did they get it out?

And hopefully doubt it tho since that part doesn't move around much. It might but don't count on it maybe if you take it down a few times.

aippi
06-27-2012, 6:19 PM
Send the weapon back to Remington. If you beating on a trigger pin with a punch and a hammer did not push the pin out then there is a problem. I break down hundreds of new Remington shotguns a year and push those pins out without any hammer. You have a problem so do not accept the gun shops answer.