PDA

View Full Version : Yugo Model 59 SKS Trigger Group Malfunction

Mattius Maximus
06-26-2012, 4:38 PM
Hello Everyone,
Clearly, I am new to the site, and was referred here by someone who has won shooting awards, and who is someone I have grown to trust over the past 6 years. I am happy to be a new member of the forum/site and am praying my question/problem can be answered/fixed before a major incident occurs.

I am having an issue with my Yugo Model 59 SKS, whereby the trigger group has been consistently falling out in the following three circumstances: 1) chambering of a round with the safety engaged (trigger group falls out), 2) when no rounds are present and the bolt slides freely forward with the safety engaged (trigger group falls out), and 3) when the stock is lightly bumped with the bolt already forward with the safety engaged and fully loaded with a round chambered (trigger group falls out).
I must say that the last condition is the most frightening since, like yourselves, I am very familiar with the damage an SKS round can do to unprotected parts of the human body.
I thank you for your time, and I look forward to your responses.

Sincerely,

Mattius Maximus

Mattius Maximus
06-26-2012, 4:50 PM
Additionally, the trigger group will fall out when the safety is on, the weapon unloaded, and the magazine is opened up. It's as though the safety mechanism is f*cking everything up with respect to the trigger group.

glock 357
06-26-2012, 5:47 PM
Welcome and wow to your problem. Got pics I'd like to see this one...

paul0660
06-26-2012, 5:59 PM
Smack it harder to install it.

Mattius Maximus
06-26-2012, 6:22 PM
Welcome and wow to your problem. Got pics I'd like to see this one...

Sir, thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I would not even know how to take a picture of the problem. If I did take a picture of the problem all you would see is the trigger group dislodged from the stock. Respectfully, that would not resolve anything, that is unless you suggest a specific area of the weapon to take pictures of. My initial guess is that I am either a) Assembling the weapon in an incorrect order; however, I have never had a trigger group malfunction occur while the safety mechanism is disengaged, or b) there is a part of the weapon that is no longer capable of securing the trigger group to the rest of the weapon.

In case "a" I have reviewed proper assembly instructions on YouTube, and as I said previously, I have never had trigger group malfunctions occur when the safety mechanism is disengaged. In case "b" I would not know what to look for in terms of wear and tear since I am not proficient in the inner workings of the trigger group assembly, or the stock as it relates to complete assembly of the weapon.

Mattius Maximus
06-26-2012, 6:26 PM
Smack it harder to install it.

Sir, thank you for your response. I have pressed down on the trigger group to attach it to the stock with nearly all of my weight. I do hear the sound of the trigger group securing to the stock; however, the trigger group malfunctions (falls away from the stock) only when the safety mechanism is engaged on the weapon.

paul0660
06-26-2012, 6:30 PM
Sir, thank you for your response. I have pressed down on the trigger group to attach it to the stock with nearly all of my weight. I do hear the sound of the trigger group securing to the stock; however, the trigger group malfunctions (falls away from the stock) only when the safety mechanism is engaged on the weapon.

Sometimes, they take a smack, meaning plastic punch with a hammer behind it. All of your weight is not really much.

radkoch
06-26-2012, 6:34 PM
Just got here not too long ago either and welcome. As stated above you can see the little indention on the pin at the rear of your FCG that locks it into place. You may need to smack the FCG hard and make sure that pin engages. You need to place the weapon on safe to get the FCG out so it sounds like that it isn't locked.

paul0660
06-26-2012, 6:35 PM
You need to place the weapon on safe to get the FCG out so it sounds like that it isn't locked.

Absolutely. I forgot about that.

Mattius Maximus
06-26-2012, 6:52 PM
Sometimes, they take a smack, meaning plastic punch with a hammer behind it. All of your weight is not really much.

Sir, I have just removed the trigger assembly and attempted to "smack" it into place with a rubber mallet with substantial force on the trigger guard (with the safety both on and off). The result was that the trigger group did not attach to the stock in either case.

paul0660
06-26-2012, 6:54 PM
Sir, I have just removed the trigger assembly and attempted to "smack" it into place with a rubber mallet with substantial force on the trigger guard (with the safety both on and off). The result was that the trigger group did not attach to the stock in either case.

Bummer. I still think you need to try harder, and appreciate your use of my native language.

glock 357
06-26-2012, 7:03 PM
Where are you located maybe a local CG member can check it out.

bohoki
06-26-2012, 8:30 PM
i never use my safety except to disassemble it all i can say is the lock lever must be worn

h0use
06-26-2012, 8:49 PM
welcome

Mattius Maximus
06-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses. I will research properly functioning lock levers among other things, and look into taking the weapon to a gunsmith for troubleshooting. If I may ask, are there any recommendable gunsmiths in the East County of San Diego? The gentleman who referred me to this forum suggested Duncans in Escondido; however, he did say that he had a negative experience there. Thank you all again.

paul0660
06-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Seriously Mattius, these things sometimes need a really good smack to get the TG to lock in. Look carefully at everything else, ie the receiver in the stock, the magazine, and the TG install should be really close to a firm snap in. Good luck.

Mattius Maximus
06-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Thank you, sir. I appreciate your advice, as well as everyone elses very much. I knew this would be a good forum.

frankDmole
06-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Welcome to CalGuns. Not sure of your issue, I have never worked on an SKS.

You might want to post this in the Gunsmith section to get more feedback.

zod
06-27-2012, 9:19 PM
Welcome aboard. Might try posting in the C&R section too.

Sonny188
06-28-2012, 4:08 PM
Welcome!