PDA

View Full Version : SB249 passes out of Assm Public Saftey and will move to Assm. Appropriations Committe

Pages : [1] 2

pennys dad
06-26-2012, 4:30 PM
SB249 passes out of Assm Public Saftey and will move to Assm. Appropriations Committee.

Listen to Pub. Safety Committee hearing on #SB249 at 9 a.m. tomorrow (Tues 7/3) at mms://media.assembly.ca.gov/​ASM-126[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]

STOP SB 249 - CRUNCH TIME[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/CENTER]

Here is the deal everyone, July 3rd is the vote date, we need to get this out to everyone. Everyone you need to get the message sent out!

Crunch Time Folks "Send the MESSAGE - NO to SB 249, NO to Sen Yee"

Tuesday July 3rd is the date for the vote, WE NEED TO SEND A MESSAGE!

We Need To Contact each member of the state Assembly Committee on Public Safety, Below is the NRA One Click, Email them, Call them, Fax them. Get out there and Make Your Thoughts Known!

NRA Members Council Information page
http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs/asmpubsafety.shtml
[/SIZE]
SB 249 is expected to be heard and voted on next Tuesday, July 3 in the state Assembly Committee on Public Safety. This is also the deadline date for ALL legislation to pass or fail in the state Senate and Assembly policy committees for the 2012 legislative session. The state Assembly Committee on Public Safety needs to hear from ALL of California’s gun owners and sportsmen urging them to OPPOSE SB 249. Contact information for the Committee members can be found here. Senator Yee and his staff also need to hear from California gun owners expressing their outrage that the Senator would suggest such a bill and urge him to pull SB 249 from the agenda. Senator Yee and his staff can be reached at 916-651-4008 and by e-mail here or atSenator.Yee@senate.ca.gov.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated information above

STOP SB 249[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/CENTER]

SB 249 is a California bill that if enacted could turn thousand and thousands of California gun owners into criminals. The proposed law would make hundreds of thousand of rifles illegal overnight, this bill must be stopped and stopped now! Your actions are key to making certain this flawed and dangerous bill never becomes state law.

Here's how YOU can help now:

Sign the "Stop SB 249 Petition." (https://www.change.org/petitions/stop-sb-249) But don't stop there, after signing it, share it and have all your friends and family sign it also!

Download and print out the STOP SB 249 info flyer (http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4221610/flyer-cgn-pdf-june-29-2012-11-03-pm-4-0-meg?da=y). The flyer is in PDF for so you can easily print it out and email.

Send Emails to the Assembly Public Safety Committee Members (http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs/asmpubsafety.shtml)

Contact the bill's author:
Sen. Yee
Capitol Office: State Capitol, Room 4074Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 651-4008

San Francisco Office: 455 Golden Gate Avenue, Suite 14200, San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: (415) 557-7857

San Mateo Office: 400 South El Camino Real, Suite 630, San Mateo, CA 94402
Phone: (650) 340-8840

Much more information is available at STOP SB 249. (http://stopsb249.org)

Thank you!

Jacob

Information:

Updated Info: 06/22/2012 - SB 249 began its travel through the legislative process this year as an agricultural bill. On May 22, after the time for introduction of new bills had passed, SB 249 was completely re-written (gutted and amended) into a bill that now proposes to restrict magazine release components in semi-auto firearms. The bill suddenly changed into its new form following a CBS news story focusing on some semi-automatic firearms.

NRA's concerns regarding SB 249 include the fact that it would make it illegal to possess parts for magazine releases on most semi-auto firearms with detachable magazines.

After NRA explained our concerns about SB249, Senator Yee stated that he would not "move" this severely flawed legislation. However, two members of his staff, Adam Keigwin and Johannes Rognerud decided to proceed with the bill and now the SB249 is in the Assembly Public Safety Committee. To reach these staff members for Senator Yee, call (916) 651-4008.

There are hundreds of thousands of firearms that could be impacted by SB 249, firearms that are currently legally owned and enjoyed by California residents. SB 249 could potentially make criminals out of law-abiding citizens.

The bill has been referred from the Assembly Rules Committee to the Assembly Public Safety Committee and will most likely be heard on July 3. Both the CRPA and NRA are working to stop this bill; please use your power as a law-abiding voter of California to voice your opposition to SB 249 and help to defeat it immediately!

Please make sure to contact ALL of the legislators on the Assembly Public Safety Committee and ask them to OPPOSE this unreasonable bill. Don't hesitate to use the NRA One-Click system to contact all of the members of the Assembly Public Safety Committee (http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs/asmpubsafety.shtml).

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-26-2012, 4:33 PM
yes I did I was number 852

pennys dad
06-26-2012, 7:35 PM
Very Awesome. Thank you

boltmopar
06-26-2012, 7:47 PM
I saw the flyer at Warrior One and signed up as soon as i got home. I will pass it around to coworkers tomorrow.

pennys dad
06-26-2012, 7:48 PM
Excellent Thank You

pennys dad
06-26-2012, 8:39 PM
reminder:

Hi
We need to stop this bill! Please print out flyers and get them to your ranges, gun shops, friends, clubs, anything.
We need to get the information out and gets this stopped!

website link to STOP SB 249: http://stopsb249.org/

print outs for STOP SB 249: http://stopsb249.org/downloads-info-sheets/

take action against STOP SB 249: http://stopsb249.org/take-action/

Please DONATE: http://stopsb249.org/donate-to-stopsb249-org/

Thx jacob

krushem2000
06-26-2012, 10:31 PM
done and dont stop til its dead in the water calguns.....

jj805
06-26-2012, 11:17 PM
I have signed, liked, shared, e-mailed, called, and I will donate on Friday when I get paid. Sorry for the delay in the financial aspect, but times are a little difficult at the moment.

SniperSchool
06-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I signed it,emailed and called also. I am letting others know about (BS)249.

pennys dad
06-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Awesome Thank you

pdq_wizzard
06-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I text it to all my shooting buddy's in my phone I also emailed Tom (gun talk) to get it out in the news,

SkyMag68
06-27-2012, 2:06 PM
I probably got about 20 signatures from friends,families, and coworkers so far.

roushstage2
06-27-2012, 5:00 PM
I'm going to take the flyers down to Sac Valley in the morning when I stop by there for some fun with my "converted AW." :D

drifter2be
06-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Glad that the word is getting out, I have emailed the link to the petition to all my friends and family, so far only 2 confirmed signatures other than my own. Was pleasantly surprised when I walked into Warrior One in Riverside this morning to do a transfer and they had flyers and were informing customers about the legislation within their store. I am still amazed that with how many members this forum has alone the petition does not have the 15K signatures needed yet. CA gun owners need to wake up and pay attention to the constant barrage of anti-2A legislation this state is always trying to jam down our throats.

pennys dad
06-28-2012, 8:13 AM
Excellent Work Everyone, Thank You

drifter2be
06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I've been gone awhile from this forum and wow have things gotten silly in California again. SB 249:mad: I signed the petitions and I am getting the word out to friends. I wrote Senator Leland Yee four times. Keep in mind that his staff may only read from people in his district 8. I have several email addresses and were able to use district 8 street addresses with the right zip codes.;) My message was plain and simple. Why punish or harass law abiding citizens from possessing or owning (In my case) Ar-15's with bullet buttons. I went on to explain how this bill will have no effect on criminals who want to carry out gun violence and such. I do agree with Chuck that the real goal of some in the State legislature is to make owning any kind of a firearm in California such a hinderance to possess that many will opt out all together.

I know a lot of people say there gonna move out of California for various reasons, but this is the last straw for me.

Same here. This is the line in the sand that I drew. They try to take away my AR-15 I cannot continue to live in this state and pay tax money to a government that wants to do nothing but take away my rights and freedom. If this abomination passes I will be moving to AZ or NV very soon after.

BlackTydeTactical
06-28-2012, 11:46 AM
I text it to all my shooting buddy's in my phone I also emailed Tom (gun talk) to get it out in the news,

Great work! The post on my face book fan page has gotten some attention. I think it's up to 12-13 signataures from the post. Every little bit helps.

pennys dad
06-28-2012, 1:54 PM
you bet it does, thx!

Szabi B
06-28-2012, 3:48 PM
iv had up to 5 friends sign the petition. getting more soon

rgw1945
06-28-2012, 4:02 PM
I bought two AR 15 two months ago and it is all legal according to California DOJ. Is that mean, if SB 249 pass, are they going to take my AR guns?

GNE
06-28-2012, 7:07 PM
I bought two AR 15 two months ago and it is all legal according to California DOJ. Is that mean, if SB 249 pass, are they going to take my AR guns?

Thus, a “conversion kit” can conceivably include any of the following:

A magazine locking device accessory that converts a firearm with a nondetachable magazine” into a firearm with a “detachable magazine;”
A detachable magazine kit, OEM or aftermarket;
A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
A thumbhole stock;
A folding;
A telescoping stock;
A grenade launcher;
A flare launcher;
A flash suppressor;
A forward pistol grip;
A large capacity magazine;
A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
A second and grip;
A shroud that is not attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel;
A firearm with any of the above referenced items affixed in a manner that they cannot be removed;
A firearm with the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip;
A firearm receiver;
Any other part used in an “assault weapon.”

Thus, possession, importation, selling, of any combination of the above referenced “parts” could cause someone to be arrested and defend oneself against allegations that they intended to convert a firearm into an “assault weapon.”According to this, yes.

BlackTydeTactical
06-28-2012, 7:17 PM
iv had up to 5 friends sign the petition. getting more soon

From me to you...Thank you!

I think we have got 15 to sign now.

We can do this guys...

pennys dad
06-29-2012, 7:13 AM
Thank You Everyone lets keep it up

SniperSchool
06-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Would it make AR15's with Bullet buttons illegal from now on if it passes. Would we have to register our AR15's we bought previous to the bill being passed or would they just be Illegal period?

GNE
06-29-2012, 1:27 PM
Read my post that is two posts above yours.

pennys dad
06-29-2012, 3:42 PM
Yes. Sen. Yee wants to make it all illegal and put us in jail for being citizens

The Gleam
06-29-2012, 6:21 PM
I did, I did, all of the above.

However, I am the jerk that just clicked on the "No" to shock a few, as a reminder that inevitably, there will be plenty of gun owners out there that DON'T do a thing about this, and are so apathetic about their 2nd Amendment rights, they either will sit on their hands, and won't hear about this at all, and simply do nothing until after it is dead (or possibly worse, it becomes a law?).

And if it becomes law, only THEN they will be complaining about it, saying "How or when did that happen?" :rolleyes:

Good luck to all, and keep spreading the importance of this... especially to the apathetic.

pennys dad
06-29-2012, 8:19 PM
agreed entirely, did u know less then 30% of the colonial population fought for independence

Praymor
06-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Some say calling works best but remember speek like a responsible patriot even if your an angry warrior.

Here’s all of Yee’s office addresses and phone numbers:Capitol OfficeState Capitol, Room 4074Sacramento, CA 95814Phone: (916) 651-4008San Francisco Office455 Golden Gate Avenue,Suite 14200San Francisco, CA 94102Phone: (415) 557-7857San Mateo Office400 South El Camino Real,Suite 630San Mateo, CA 94402Phone: (650) 340-8840Read more at Ammoland.com:*http://www.ammoland.com/2012/06/21/help-stop-sb-249-californias-ban-on-possession-of-magazine-release-parts/#ixzz1zFdRQJTt

pennys dad
06-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Adding it to the top. Thank you!

iamchrispartida
06-30-2012, 9:59 PM
Trying to get the word out via facebook as much as I can. I think a few of my friends have signed and shared. Working on getting more. If I had extra $, I'd donate some, but nothing is extra at the moment.

pennys dad
06-30-2012, 10:00 PM
excellent Thank You

FastFinger
07-01-2012, 9:41 AM
EVERYONE! Using the NRA link it's incredibly easy to email the committee members. Just click on the name and it will open up a pre-addressed email using your email client. Paste in your personal message, send, repeat 6 times. Once you have your message composed actually emailing them only takes a minute or two - for something this important - it couldn't be easier!

There is no excuse not to email them all - and follow it up with a fax and phone call.

Make them realize that there are active voters paying attention!

http://i.imgur.com/cZDol.png

pennys dad
07-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Folks while you are discussing your points, make sure you have emailed, faxed, called, facebooked, twittered everyone involved.

GO AFTER THEM! MAKE YOUR POINT KNOWN!

Click the link and make yourself known.
http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs/asmpubsafety.shtml

Adam Keigwin and Johannes Rognerud decided to proceed with the bill and now the SB249 is in the Assembly Public Safety Committee. To reach these staff members for Senator Yee, call (916) 651-4008.

Adam Keigwin he is on twitter go after him!

B!ngo
07-01-2012, 12:02 PM
FWIW, in addition to the automated write-in tools, I sent this personal note to one of the members:
I am a law-abiding citizen living in and contributing to the growth and success of the technology industry here in the Silicon Valley for the past 25 years. During that time, I've sadly seen the degradation of our school system - both public and college/university, reduction in funding and support for police and firefighters, and dramatic cuts in the support of the poor and needy. At the same time I've happily seen a general reduction in crime, particularly weapons-related illegal activities, all post the expiration of the assault weapons ban last decade.
The latest focus on SB249 seems like another misuse of our lawmakers time, and the unnecessary focus on a part of the population that requires no further laws or limitations. Despite an ongoing reduction of crimes involving those guns defined as assault weapons, those unlawful part of the population who may make use of such weapons will not heed changes defined in the bill. For those who are law-abiding owners, there surely are no concerns about their behavior and this imposes yet more limits on their constitutionally defined rights, all while it takes the focus away from the priorities I cited (above) to which Assemblyman Yee and his peers like yourself should attend.
This seems like more distraction of out citizens while our problems of education, budget and police and firefighter funding continues, furthering the unconstitutional limitations on our law abiding citizens, and a solution to an issue that simply does not exist.
Please vote no on SB249.

FastFinger
07-01-2012, 12:34 PM
FWIW, in addition to the automated write-in tools, I sent this personal note to one of the members:
I am a law-abiding citizen living in and contributing to the growth and success of the technology industry here in the Silicon Valley for the past 25 years. During that time, I've sadly seen the degradation of our school system - both public and college/university, reduction in funding and support for police and firefighters, and dramatic cuts in the support of the poor and needy. At the same time I've happily seen a general reduction in crime, particularly weapons-related illegal activities, all post the expiration of the assault weapons ban last decade.
The latest focus on SB249 seems like another misuse of our lawmakers time, and the unnecessary focus on a part of the population that requires no further laws or limitations. Despite an ongoing reduction of crimes involving those guns defined as assault weapons, those unlawful part of the population who may make use of such weapons will not heed changes defined in the bill. For those who are law-abiding owners, there surely are no concerns about their behavior and this imposes yet more limits on their constitutionally defined rights, all while it takes the focus away from the priorities I cited (above) to which Assemblyman Yee and his peers like yourself should attend.
This seems like more distraction of out citizens while our problems of education, budget and police and firefighter funding continues, furthering the unconstitutional limitations on our law abiding citizens, and a solution to an issue that simply does not exist.
Please vote no on SB249.

Great missive! I also mentioned a few of the financial impacts in my letter. The cost to implement, the cost to enforce, and the inevitable financial burden to litigate - especially when they lose in court.

Everyone - your email doesn't need to be long winded or cover every aspect of this proposed law, you just need to let them know how it will impact responsible gun owners, or how it will waste limited state funds, or how it's an answer to a non existent question. Just write and let 'em know you're paying attention and this is a bad law!

RP1911
07-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Some say calling works best but remember speek like a responsible patriot even if your an angry warrior.

Here’s all of Yee’s office addresses and phone numbers:Capitol OfficeState Capitol, Room 4074Sacramento, CA 95814Phone: (916) 651-4008San Francisco Office455 Golden Gate Avenue,Suite 14200San Francisco, CA 94102Phone: (415) 557-7857San Mateo Office400 South El Camino Real,Suite 630San Mateo, CA 94402Phone: (650) 340-8840Read more at Ammoland.com:*http://www.ammoland.com/2012/06/21/help-stop-sb-249-californias-ban-on-possession-of-magazine-release-parts/#ixzz1zFdRQJTt

Actually, writing a letter is more effective. The more the letters are individual rather than a form letter, the more effective they are.

I worked in the inner office (governor's) many moons ago and every single letter was read and sorted according to:

1) for
2) against
3) too many subjects
4) threats (that would go to the TAG group immediately)

mtsul
07-01-2012, 2:10 PM
what would happen if this passes? what Rights will we loose?

Gio
07-01-2012, 2:19 PM
what would happen if this passes? what Rights will we loose?

I don't want to find out the hard way, this is the main reason I like featureless builds. Not that makes it any better for the rest of our law abiding brothers and sisters of calguns :)

Petition signed.

FourLoko
07-01-2012, 4:04 PM
the PDF link was down, anyone have a copy?

I'd rather bomb their fax machines than email

pennys dad
07-01-2012, 4:22 PM
the PDF link was down, anyone have a copy?

I'd rather bomb their fax machines than email

PDF attached

cj1026
07-01-2012, 6:20 PM
Signed and emailed to a ton of people.

ColdDeadHands1
07-01-2012, 7:44 PM
Signed and emailed to a ton of people.

Me too.

SparkYZ
07-01-2012, 8:19 PM
Are these online petitions legitimate? I always thought only the paper petitions were legit?

ReddingShooter
07-01-2012, 9:23 PM
wouldnt california, if the bill is passed be required to allow legally purchased lowers and ARS to be registered as assult weapons?

i dont think california attorney general wuld want to let that happen. id think if they didnt, they would be open for about 10,000,000 lawsuits.

spdtiger
07-02-2012, 1:27 AM
while were at it how come we dont get a petition to go repeal the assault weapon ban

spdtiger
07-02-2012, 1:27 AM
put it up on a ballot

fouber
07-02-2012, 5:42 AM
shared, signed.

fouber =^..^=

DarkSoul
07-02-2012, 7:27 AM
Yep, doing my part, I have written a letter to both Sen. Yee, and my own representative imploring him to vote against this bill. I have posted on my Facebook account, and as soon as I get into the office, I'll email my letter to the entire committee, and will get back on FB and reiterate the importance of opposing this bill.

That being said, I have no clue as to how this works, if this were to actually pass, can the state really make owning an AR type rifle illegal, well, one that has features covered in the bill? Would they not be required then to purchase them back from owners. I just don't see how the state can say, ok, I know you have anywhere from a few thousand to tens of thousands of dollars invested in your rifles, but now you have to throw them away with no compensation? If so, how can that be even remotely legal?

Also, and I hate to ask these questions, but the law seems VERY vague, will they bill authors be required to clarify this bill if it does in fact pass? Sorry if these questions have been answered in the mega thread, just can't seem to get through the whole thing at one sitting.

Ill try and get some flyers out today, my schedule is pretty loose this week.

mif_slim
07-02-2012, 10:57 AM
I just checked the SB249, All these AR/AK/"evil rifle" shooters and only 6,600 signed?? Lets get the ball rolling!! Its tomorrow! I did my part...hope more will do it today!

Mac7504
07-02-2012, 10:58 AM
If it passes when will it become effective?

Heaven forbid; I'd like to know this as well.

BlackTydeTactical
07-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I just checked the SB249, All these AR/AK/"evil rifle" shooters and only 6,600 signed?? Lets get the ball rolling!! Its tomorrow! I did my part...hope more will do it today!

I agree. I talked to so many last week and all I heard is "we have time" guess what? It's tomorrow. I think I got 20 people to sign. Not alot, but, its something. I also blasted it on my FB fan page, and sent email's & text to friends and family.

DarkSoul
07-02-2012, 11:32 AM
If it passes, I believe it becomes effective July 1, 2013.

I have been writing all day so far, I just sent out this letter to the Assemblyman on the NRA list-

I am very concerned about this current bill and the effects that it will have not only on firearm owners, but firearm and firearm accessory manufacturers, dealers, as well as many other facets of California commerce and its current fiscal state. Here are the issues as I see them.

2nd Amendment Rights-
To start, the obvious, our 2nd Amendment, the ownership of guns, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" is guaranteed in the constitution, so I feel, as I firmly believe that everyone should, that any new law or laws created to amend, or limit this Constitutional right should therefore be deemed unconstitutional. That is the obvious part, and in a perfect world, nothing more really should need to be said. However, we live in an imperfect world, run by imperfect people, all with their own agenda's, I get this, its the way of the world and will most likely never change, however, I, as well as many others take strong offense when laws are authored that will diminish these rights. Its a slippery slope when government, both at a Federal, and State level slowly chip away at our Constitutional Rights, it sets a precedence that is difficult to redact. If it starts with our 2nd Amendment, when will it end, with our 1st Amendment rights, will we eventually do away with the 13th Amendment, when will it end. I understand this is obviously an extreme example, but logically, there is the possibility if we continue down this path.

Crime Prevention-
Another facet of bills such as this are generally aimed, or at least the rational is given, thats its about reducing crime. To me, this is the most frustrating aspect of such bills. Criminals, by their very definition, do not care about laws. All the laws and bills in the world will not keep a criminal from breaking said laws, its what they do. If a criminal is going to, for example, rob a bank, they are not going to check and make sure that their rifle is "California compliant", that there is no "bullet button", that they only use 10 round NON-removable magazines and so on before they commit a heinous crime. Criminals will continue to break the law, with or without more firearm legislation. I especially like to use the example of - If guns rob banks, then pencils misspell words, forks and spoons make people fat, and so on. PEOPLE commit crimes, PEOPLE need to be held accountable for their actions, not inanimate objects.

Fiscal responsibility-
This is very far reaching, but to start, look at what effects this will have on manufactures and retailers in the state such as myself. By banning "bullet buttons" or other similar "accessories", along with the loss in sales of all firearms that this proposed bill will effect, will in fact hurt our already fragile economy. This will force many firearm shops to lay off employees, manufactures will have to do the same. This is a large market, probably larger than you might think, and IT WILL have a negative financial effect on this particular industry. By making illegal such parts and accessories, not only is there the immediate negative effect on the aforementioned manufactures, dealers and such, but there will be of course the loss of tax revenue generated by the slowing, or outright closure of some manufacturers / dealers.

Indirectly, look at the cost to propose/defend such bills. Groups such as the CalGun Organization WILL fight this bill tooth and nail, they will loose the full might of their legal resources to keep this bill from being passed. This WILL cost the state and its taxpayers to attempt to uphold said bill. I personally, would rather see my tax dollars spent on improving our school system, hiring more firefighters, more police officers, and authoring bills that actually prevent/reduce criminals from committing crime, and not turning law abiding citizens into criminals that currently own LEGAL firearms and accessories.

I am not some gun nut job, I am a hobbyist and a businessman that enjoys shooting sports that do require the use of semi automatic rifles. This bill will hurt me financially, as will it the state in lost tax revenue and is wasteful at best in terms of time and money, and unconstitutional at worst, and I urge you to reconsider continuing forward with and supporting such legislation.

And now I am back onto Facebook and the other forums I am a member of to rattle their cages again.

DarkSoul
07-02-2012, 11:37 AM
At least one of the Assemblyman is on our side, I know this is a canned response, but still

Thank you for contacting my office to express your opposition to SB 249 which would, “commencing July 1, 2013 prohibit any person from importing, making, selling, loaning, transferring, or possessing any conversion kit designed solely and exclusively to convert certain firearms with a fixed magazine into firearms with the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and other features.”

As a State Assemblyman, please be assured that I strongly share in your opposition to this legislation and I voted against it when it reached the Assembly Rules Committee on June 18th, 2012. Unfortunately, it did pass and will now be referred to the Public Safety Committee, of which I am also a member. I will vote against SB 249 here too and will urge my colleagues to do the same.

I am a firm supporter of the Second Amendment which gives us the freedom and right to bear arms. It is outrageous that this kind of bill is even being considered. We need to focus our efforts on strengthening the economy and creating jobs, not punishing and regulating law abiding citizens.

I will not give up the fight to protect our basic rights. As always, I will continue to oppose and vote against any restrictive gun legislation.

I also encourage you to contact your local State Assembly representative to express your viewpoint on this issue.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to serve you; it is my privilege.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman Curt Hagman
District 60

RedMonkey
07-02-2012, 11:40 AM
At least one of the Assemblyman is on our side, I know this is a canned response, but still

Got the same reply this am. Haven't heard back from the others.

pennys dad
07-02-2012, 1:34 PM
Assemblymember Tom Ammiano (916) 319-2013
Assemblymember Curt Hagman (916) 319-2060
Assemblymember Steve Knight (916) 319-2036
Assemblymember Gilbert Cedillo (916) 319-2045
Assemblymember Holly J. Mitchell (916) 319-2047
Assemblymember Nancy Skinner (916) 319-2014

The Gleam
07-02-2012, 3:01 PM
In my experience in opposing other bills over the past two decades, it seems that the "Public Safety Committee" nearly always pass anti-2nd Amendment legislation based on the very nature of their job in supposedly "keeping us safe". It's a ruse, and I don't mean Roos, even though that was a ruse too.

The Gleam
07-02-2012, 3:45 PM
Just checked in with a colleague that faxed 6 letters from our office to each of the "public safety committee." :thumbsup:

BlackTydeTactical
07-02-2012, 4:23 PM
Listen to Pub. Safety Committee hearing on #SB249 at 9 a.m. tomorrow (Tues 7/3) at mms://media.assembly.ca.gov/​ASM-126 @StopSB249 #2A

mrPhelps
07-02-2012, 5:36 PM
I think some people have asked but I have not read a response. Can someone explain if this law passes, how previous owners will be classified criminals? Didn't the owners of the colt AR15 get to keep their rifles after the first part of the assault weapon ban? So are we going to get a grandfather clause? If so then what will be the time period to register our firearms?

RoundEye
07-02-2012, 6:18 PM
DONE, DONE, and DONE!

I wrote each member of the public safety committee, shared this on Facebook twice over the past two weeks, and dropped off 20 fliers to LAX Shooting Range.

I think some people have asked but I have not read a response. Can someone explain if this law passes, how previous owners will be classified criminals? Didn't the owners of the colt AR15 get to keep their rifles after the first part of the assault weapon ban? So are we going to get a grandfather clause? If so then what will be the time period to register our firearms?

The easiest way to sum it up is that if you own any "conversion kits" which include all evil features (flash suppressors, collapsible stocks, pistol grips, ...), bullet buttons, mag magnets, and the like that could possibly be used to manufacture an assault weapon you will be in violation of the law. The bill offers no way to legally register existing "so featured" rifles.

ReddingShooter
07-02-2012, 6:52 PM
well, the way i see it, if thats the case, about a millon lawsuits will end up hitting the state overnight. id almost bet that that will be an issue , and that they will be REQUIRED to offer registration on rifles/lowers that are already in the possession of citizens.
i dont know this for a fact, but id say its a good hunch

pennys dad
07-02-2012, 7:16 PM
Listen to Pub. Safety Committee hearing on #SB249 at 9 a.m. tomorrow (Tues 7/3) at mms://media.assembly.ca.gov/​ASM-126

labillyboy
07-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I don't own an affected weapon, but I have signed the petition and written the members of the committee. I shoot only pistols and bolt action rifles in CA, when I want to shoot semi auto or full auto rifles, I go to Vegas. I haven't purchased a CA legal AR because of the bullet button and won't.

Not only do we need to defeat 249 but the entire restriction that required the bullet button and 10 round mags needs to be attacked. My letters to the legislators addressed both.

I believe the best defense is a good offense. Putting up with the bullet button and restricted magazines has always been distasteful for me.

Good luck to us all!

sdfire
07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
I just emailed them all again , and made calls earlier this week. Hopefully they will listen and stop this law in its tracks.

357shooter
07-03-2012, 8:46 AM
Trying to view the hearing but not coming up!!!!!!!!!

bbsmth
07-03-2012, 9:27 AM
http://assembly.ca.gov/todaysevents

Second to bottom.

ThePatriot
07-03-2012, 9:42 AM
Ihave been listening since about 9:20 and it appears they may have pushed the item off, perhaps to the end of the hearing, did anyone hear the first 20 mins?

pennys dad
07-03-2012, 9:44 AM
been moved to the end of the hearing

joefreas
07-03-2012, 9:48 AM
The suspense is killing me-

Bluesami
07-03-2012, 9:50 AM
What time is the end?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

joefreas
07-03-2012, 9:54 AM
They started to call Yee then decided to wait for more members. Sometimes that is not a good sign because they are waiting for people they know will vote for a measure.

joefreas
07-03-2012, 9:56 AM
Presenting 249 now

ThePatriot
07-03-2012, 10:00 AM
The Brady Campaign essentially opposes this version of the bill!!!! They request that the solution be provided by the justice dept and not through this legislation.

joefreas
07-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Yee is quoting the mag magnet website.

ThePatriot
07-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Did it just pass? Seemed like it.

pennys dad
07-03-2012, 10:10 AM
scratch original post, we have more work ahead of us

joefreas
07-03-2012, 10:11 AM
It sounded like they got the last i

lightflight
07-03-2012, 10:20 AM
so ...now what? :confused:

pennys dad
07-03-2012, 10:22 AM
On call, short one vote. Hagman's not there.
Needs one more vote

pennys dad
07-03-2012, 10:27 AM
assembly members Hagman and Mitchell absent the committee

joefreas
07-03-2012, 10:33 AM
So right now its 50/50?

pennys dad
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
No, it passes out of Assm PS and will move to Assm Approps.

HK Dave
07-03-2012, 10:47 AM
What a joke...

What's next? Let's ban the hammerhead grip? It makes me wonder at the sanity of these people... my bullet button rifle is somehow more dangerous better than my M1A with 20 round pre ban mags? Idiots.

TheExpertish
07-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Well hopefully we can kill it with fire in the next round.

Hakoomay
07-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Wth I thought hagman was "ooh yeah of course I'm going to vote against it" and he doesnt even show up...

renickh
07-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Any update as to the vote?

Secret
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Well after listening to Yee, he is going after the mag magnets.

Here is the a link from another thread
okey dokey here's my recording of the discussion (not including the second vote)
http://www.fileswap.com/dl/7tjbSH9LeR/

BHPFan
07-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Well after listening to Yee, he is going after the mag magnets.

Here is the a link from another thread

I bet he also said that he wasn't stealing the sun tan lotion after he was caught shop lifting it :rolleyes:

bighead
07-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Clearly he states the mag magnet is the issue, wether or not that is specifically named in the bill is another matter.

Jaminit
07-03-2012, 2:12 PM
First off full disclosure I'm very Liberal but I own guns.. so here is my take on this legislation after I read it 3 times.

An AR lower without a magazine release button is not a weapon because the magazine will not stay rendering the AR ineffective and non operational.
A magazine release button renders the weapon illegal because it creates an operational weapon with a detachable magazine.
A bullet button renders the weapon legal because it creates an operational weapon with a fixed magazine.

This bill the way it reads depends on how you define a weapon with a fixed magazine. I think you can make the case that bullet buttons is the part that fixes the magazine and this bill outlaws "parts" or kits that allows you to bypass the bullet button ie.. the mag magnet, or the thing you put on your thumb - it doesn't outlaw the bullet button

best way i can decribe it is your safe is locked and you need to put in a key to turn and open it. when the key is out it is a locked safe. if you had a device to snaps onto the keyhole and all you needed to do was press a button or pull on it and it turns the locks and opens the safe all at once that would be what would be illegal under this bill and not the lock itself

opinions???

P.Charm
07-03-2012, 2:21 PM
wouldn't that mean we can only use a specific tool to release the mag?

Hakoomay
07-03-2012, 3:06 PM
No the mag magnet attxhes to the gun and stays there for the operator to press it and release the mag.

When use a tool (bullet tip, pen, etc) its not attched to the rifle when u use it so its legal and that's what makes the difference between the mag magnet and any other unattached bullet button tool

yallknowho
07-03-2012, 3:45 PM
Wth I thought hagman was "ooh yeah of course I'm going to vote against it" and he doesnt even show up...

what an ******* he said he is definitely against it in his BS response email.

Guapoh
07-03-2012, 4:31 PM
That recording is very revealing. Yee could not find his *** with both hands. "....these magnets make the guns automatic.....its an, uh, assault weapons thing they are doing...."

Un****ing believeable. Automatic weapons??

Another idiot spoke in opposition but he claimed that the mag magnet can only physically be affixed upon a 22 rim fire. Saying dumb stuff, even in opposition is not helpful. Clearly a mag magnet could physically be placed over any bullet button regardless of the caliber of the weapon be it, 223; 6.8; 308; 300 Blackout.

Mr Wizard
07-03-2012, 4:37 PM
How many of us got Hagman's e-mail assuring us that he voted against it once and would be there to oppose it today. I still have my copy from Hagman along with two others that said I wasn't in their district, so basically "F" off.

RoundEye
07-03-2012, 4:41 PM
How many of us got Hagman's e-mail assuring us that he voted against it once and would be there to oppose it today. I still have my copy from Hagman along with two others that said I wasn't in their district, so basically "F" off.

That's more or less what I received as well.

nrandell
07-03-2012, 4:47 PM
Thankfully it's the yes votes that count. Abstaining from a vote is the same as a no.

toaster333
07-03-2012, 5:08 PM
Go to his facebook page and tell him to stop this madness.

https://www.facebook.com/VoteYee

BlackonBlack
07-03-2012, 7:08 PM
What a joke this in. I can't even beleive this law. Like criminals care about bullet buttons. What is he trying to prove. Send Yee back to China so he can try an fix their problems. Friggen retard

D4ZORT
07-03-2012, 7:09 PM
Go to his facebook page and tell him to stop this madness.

https://www.facebook.com/VoteYee

Done!

ohnozombeez
07-03-2012, 7:33 PM
No, it passes out of Assm PS and will move to Assm Approps.

Ok, it goes to assm approps......what in turn do they do?

M1NM
07-03-2012, 8:00 PM
Thankfully it's the yes votes that count. Abstaining from a vote is the same as a no.

Abstaining goes with the majority - pro or con - per Roberts Rules of Order

M1NM
07-03-2012, 8:02 PM
Send Yee back to China so he can try an fix their problems.

Wonder how he would fare in a country where the common citizen can't own a gun - or even speak freely?

Brown Rock
07-03-2012, 8:19 PM
This feels like the open carry ban all over again. It's going to become law, watch.:(

pennys dad
07-03-2012, 8:20 PM
have hope we are not done yet

rimfire78
07-03-2012, 8:43 PM
Bump

SwPx4
07-03-2012, 9:14 PM
best way i can decribe it is your safe is locked and you need to put in a key to turn and open it. when the key is out it is a locked safe. if you had a device to snaps onto the keyhole and all you needed to do was press a button or pull on it and it turns the locks and opens the safe all at once that would be what would be illegal under this bill and not the lock itself

opinions???

isnt that just a KEY?? that is saying that the key is not illegal to use in the lock... because it can stay in the lock.. and can be used to open the safe...

no bill should be passed .. on basis of public nuisance or not... without evidence to substantiate PUBLIC NUISANCE!!!!!!

find me ONE CASE when a BULLET BUTTONED rifle was used in a crime...

bikr4jc
07-03-2012, 9:42 PM
Done!
X2!

epilepticninja
07-03-2012, 10:42 PM
This feels like the open carry ban all over again. It's going to become law, watch.:(

I feel the same way. I think its a lost cause. Way too many people in CA politics that believe guns are a bad thing. I hate to be a defeatist, but this is a bad law, introduced by a hypocrite politician, to a political body full of gun/gun culture haters. Yee is going to ride this thing to the top, get it signed, and then campaign like crazy on how he got rid of "assault weapons" in California. I really and truly loved this state until I got back into guns a few years ago. Now I loathe living here.

labillyboy
07-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Got the canned response from Hagman , "I will not give up the fight to protect our basic rights. As always, I will continue to oppose and vote against any restrictive gun legislation."

I left a nice note for Yee on his FB... man this guy is scary.

As I read more of this it's about some magnet thingy someone made to defeat the bullet button? Wouldn't that be against the current law anyway? So now they are going back to make even the bullet button illegal? I won't buy a bullet button gun anyway but why on earth do people do things they should know will cause issues like this? We live in Kalifornia not Texas... they are looking for any reason to clamp down on guns, why do some keep waving red flags at them? IMO we will never get the magazine and other restrictions lifted if we keep backsliding. We should be sponsoring legislation constantly to get rid of 10 round limits and all the fixed magazine junk... Need some good solid research showing how criminals don't obey either and some time studies in number of rounds someone can put down range with the button and restricted mags... get the facts on our side.

JON KARGATHALON
07-03-2012, 10:53 PM
signed

Scratch705
07-04-2012, 12:56 AM
guess i'll have to speed up purchases for featureless parts.

iamchrispartida
07-04-2012, 1:49 AM
Does anyone have any solid advice for what steps we can take next? I'd hate to sit defeated in the first round of assembly approvals.

ricky s
07-04-2012, 8:41 AM
It seems one of the more important points to make is the deviousness employed in modifying a bill to mean something other than was originally intended. Also I have read that staff working for a legislator operated against his wishes on this legislation. If so, why not a public apology and removal of those staffers? The anti's can only get their agenda passed by corrupting the system. If more people knew this perhaps it would not be allowed to happen. This is why many people are apathetic to politics, and the system must be changed. Off subject, our current president, (small p), and his lackeys use the same methods to pass his B.S. legislation.

big ron
07-04-2012, 8:58 AM
Both the wife and I have signed.

KeevinW
07-04-2012, 5:27 PM
Here's the link to the current revision of SB 249: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0201-0250/sb_249_cfa_20120702_100005_asm_comm.html

Also below is the actual tally from yesterday's vote:

UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
MEASURE: SB 249
AUTHOR: Yee
TOPIC: Firearms: assault weapon conversion kits.
DATE: 07/03/2012
MOTION: Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on Appropriations.
(AYES 4. NOES 2.) (PASS)

AYES

Ammiano Cedillo Mitchell Skinner

NOES

Knight Hagman

ABSENT, ABSTAINING, OR NOT VOTING

Vacancy

mtsul
07-04-2012, 10:04 PM
So now what?

Here's the link to the current revision of SB 249: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0201-0250/sb_249_cfa_20120702_100005_asm_comm.html

Also below is the actual tally from yesterday's vote:

UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
MEASURE: SB 249
AUTHOR: Yee
TOPIC: Firearms: assault weapon conversion kits.
DATE: 07/03/2012
MOTION: Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on Appropriations.
(AYES 4. NOES 2.) (PASS)

AYES

Ammiano Cedillo Mitchell Skinner

NOES

Knight Hagman

ABSENT, ABSTAINING, OR NOT VOTING

Vacancy

pennys dad
07-05-2012, 8:01 AM
So now what?

We regroup, adjust out information and go after the Committee on Appropriations well also start looking ahead and go after signatures

760practicalshooter
07-05-2012, 9:00 PM
If they are going after the "Mag-magnet" only, what is the issue? If it has nothing to do with the BB.

N/m read the bill*

kablooie
07-05-2012, 10:22 PM
hey where's the facebook coverpage photo/pics that i can use?? someone needs to make some up so we can put some propaganda on our FB pages! :)

Just-in
07-05-2012, 11:11 PM
This is very depressing...

Just-in
07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
When it is law what can we do to keep our guns?

wildhawker
07-06-2012, 2:17 AM
When it is law

http://stopsb249.org/sb-249-faq.

what can we do to keep our guns?

http://stopsb249.org/take-action.

-Brandon

wildhawker
07-06-2012, 2:21 AM
hey where's the facebook coverpage photo/pics that i can use?? someone needs to make some up so we can put some propaganda on our FB pages! :)

Like this one?

http://stopsb249.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/stop_sb249_billboard.jpg

Chief2Guns
07-06-2012, 9:53 AM

What do you mean?:mad: NO SURRENDER, NO RETREAT! I've read to many cowardly suggestions in this thread alone... If our government is willing to take our guns then the time has come. Let's gather in Sacramento and send a message. Enough is enough. I would rather die on my feet than live as a coward.

ThePatriot
07-06-2012, 11:09 AM
What do you mean?:mad: NO SURRENDER, NO RETREAT! I've read to many cowardly suggestions in this thread alone... If our government is willing to take our guns then the time has come. Let's gather in Sacramento and send a message. Enough is enough. I would rather die on my feet than live as a coward.

Preach it brother. We have retreated this far - NO FARTHER!

ninjawho?
07-06-2012, 11:45 PM

Preach it brother. We have retreated this far - NO FARTHER!

Do i sense a rally?????.....

Bbq on the capitol steps....:D

jeffrice6
07-07-2012, 3:28 AM
If they are going after the "Mag-magnet" only, what is the issue? If it has nothing to do with the BB.

Thats the spirit!

760practicalshooter
07-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Thats the spirit!

Just to make sure your not trolling me, the "Mag-Magnet" if used creates an illegal firearm. If it's illegal and they are trying to make it more illegal, who cares. Now if they are going after all BB's then of course this is non-sense and should be contested.

BTW I did sign both petitions against SB249

parb
07-07-2012, 4:16 PM
I get pissed off when i see politicians waste tax payers money on criminalizing stuff and increasing our spending for things while avoiding to tackle the hard problems.

i sent a personal email to this bunch in addition to sign the petition. it went something like this (this is what i sent leland yee directly).

I have a concern regarding your bill SB249.
First off there is no evidence that criminalizing the item described in the bill will reduce any ongoing or future crimes. Thus you are creating a law because it is possible, not because it solves any issues we are confronted with in our state.

secondly we are in the worst recession in the last 100 years. Our communities are going bankrupt, our children are unable to find jobs. During this crisis i am severely disappointed that you choose to waste the taxpayers money on a law and doj resources on legislation to solve non-existent problems. I consider this the worst form of politics, when elected officials choose to avoid to tackle the difficult problems we face as a nation and instead spend time on their pet causes that doesnt aim to better any citizen of our states lives.

As it stands right now i am disappointed in that you have chosen to spend time on what is a distraction and not a hot burning issue for the citizens of this state.

what i hope you will do is recognize that laws that criminalizes things because they can lead to crimes which arent prevalent is a waste of tax payers money, it serves only special interests and doesnt help our state to get out of the trouble we are in. My plea to you and your staff is to focus on the rampant drug and gang problems we have in our state by spending more money on the police and preventative treatment, solve the underlying issue of criminality which is rooted in unemployment and economic opportunity and stop wasting your time on symbolic bills which makes you feel good but wastes our money.

In times like this it is important that our leaders lead by focusing on the big picture -and right now that is economy and opportunity for the people of this state.

respectfully,

simplesb
07-07-2012, 10:39 PM
I get pissed off when i see politicians waste tax payers money on criminalizing stuff and increasing our spending for things while avoiding to tackle the hard problems.

i sent a personal email to this bunch in addition to sign the petition. it went something like this (this is what i sent leland yee directly).

I have a concern regarding your bill SB249.
First off there is no evidence that criminalizing the item described in the bill will reduce any ongoing or future crimes. Thus you are creating a law because it is possible, not because it solves any issues we are confronted with in our state.

secondly we are in the worst recession in the last 100 years. Our communities are going bankrupt, our children are unable to find jobs. During this crisis i am severely disappointed that you choose to waste the taxpayers money on a law and doj resources on legislation to solve non-existent problems. I consider this the worst form of politics, when elected officials choose to avoid to tackle the difficult problems we face as a nation and instead spend time on their pet causes that doesnt aim to better any citizen of our states lives.

As it stands right now i am disappointed in that you have chosen to spend time on what is a distraction and not a hot burning issue for the citizens of this state.

what i hope you will do is recognize that laws that criminalizes things because they can lead to crimes which arent prevalent is a waste of tax payers money, it serves only special interests and doesnt help our state to get out of the trouble we are in. My plea to you and your staff is to focus on the rampant drug and gang problems we have in our state by spending more money on the police and preventative treatment, solve the underlying issue of criminality which is rooted in unemployment and economic opportunity and stop wasting your time on symbolic bills which makes you feel good but wastes our money.

In times like this it is important that our leaders lead by focusing on the big picture -and right now that is economy and opportunity for the people of this state.

respectfully,

This why I like these forums. We all try to send a message, but some are a little more eloquent than others. Nice messaging and so very true. These politicians always choose the wrong battles to fight. We should see more work done improving our schools and legislating against political and corporate crimes. I guess rich legislators don't want to step on any of their rich donors, easier to legislate against the common people.

rimfire78
07-08-2012, 12:15 AM
bump

Cpl_Peters
07-08-2012, 3:25 AM
this legislation will pass in some form or another in the near future. I knew as soon as big 5 and turners started selling black rifles to every person who walked in that it would get out of hand and be over. something similar happened with open carry...and look what happened. CA isn't a gun state. I hope to eat my own words on this one but im a realist.

Mendo223
07-08-2012, 3:11 PM
is the mag-magnet that little red thing that screws into the bullet button? when does this law take affect and where can i buy them in bulk prior to the ban?

yee is such an idiot, his city san francisco is full of illegal immigrant gangsters, unmentionable crime in the tenderloin and mission, and hes worried about bullet buttons. i sent him an email saying i was a constituent and deeply concerned and dissapointed with his law.

kaligaran
07-08-2012, 4:24 PM
So after reading the bill, even possession will become a crime? WTF... there's not even a grandfather clause in there? :(

What exactly do they expect people to do if they own these items pre-bill? Surrender them to the police? (I really hope that's not the answer I get.)

kaligaran
07-08-2012, 4:28 PM
is the mag-magnet that little red thing that screws into the bullet button? when does this law take affect and where can i buy them in bulk prior to the ban?

The mag-magnet is actually magnetic. The tool you're talking about would also fall under this umbrella though. I imagine that convertable bullet buttons will as well.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone on here will correct me. :)

Cpl_Peters
07-08-2012, 5:46 PM
So after reading the bill, even possession will become a crime? WTF... there's not even a grandfather clause in there? :(

What exactly do they expect people to do if they own these items pre-bill? Surrender them to the police? (I really hope that's not the answer I get.)

that or remove them from the state

Brown Rock
07-09-2012, 10:39 AM
this legislation will pass in some form or another in the near future. I knew as soon as big 5 and turners started selling black rifles to every person who walked in that it would get out of hand and be over. something similar happened with open carry...and look what happened. CA isn't a gun state. I hope to eat my own words on this one but im a realist.

Yep. IMHO when big firearms companies like S&W and Colt started selling BB'd AR's, California decided to put a stop to it.

MUKAK
07-09-2012, 2:00 PM
quick question guys so let say the bill PASSES can i still keep my AR without any BB or regular mag release installed?

ThePatriot
07-09-2012, 2:16 PM
quick question guys so let say the bill PASSES can i still keep my AR without any BB or regular mag release installed?

The current version of this bill appears (although it is murky) to outlaw all detachable magazine firearms regardless of age and no grandfathering. Owners would have to get them out of the state or hand them over to law enforcement for destruction. If passed, this bill would result in a massive confiscation of firearms, and turn thousands of law abiding citizens into criminals. The sponsor , YEE has been dancing around trying to say it only applies to the circumvention of bullet buttons but the law as written clearly intends to outlaw all the components that could be used in building an assault weapon.

jaytee
07-09-2012, 2:33 PM
The current version of this bill appears (although it is murky) to outlaw all detachable magazine firearms regardless of age and no grandfathering. Owners would have to get them out of the state or hand them over to law enforcement for destruction. If passed, this bill would result in a massive confiscation of firearms, and turn thousands of law abiding citizens into criminals. The sponsor , YEE has been dancing around trying to say it only applies to the circumvention of bullet buttons but the law as written clearly intends to outlaw all the components that could be used in building an assault weapon.

So could you permanently attach a magazine (by welding, pinning or similar), load by top loading - and remain legal?

MUKAK
07-09-2012, 2:52 PM
So could you permanently attach a magazine (by welding, pinning or similar), load by top loading - and remain legal?

i also wanna know that

jm13690
07-09-2012, 7:29 PM
It has just gotten ridiculous. I have signed and hoped that some people would get some sense in their minds that the people being targeted are the responsible gun owners.

F8ality
07-09-2012, 9:24 PM
Its time for the conservatives in this state to start acting like the FN liberals and lets get vocal...lets bring it to their doorsteps like they have been bringing it to ours for years now. This law passes and I hope that I wont be the only one to leave this fkn state. Along with the Anti-Arizona bill they passed this state is out of control...

F8ality
07-09-2012, 9:25 PM
Im down to travel to Sacramento and make my voice be heard just tell me when and where we are meeting...

DPC
07-09-2012, 11:32 PM

Just keep them F%#$ Them!!!!

tokarev_tt
07-09-2012, 11:39 PM
I signed a petition and sent it to my friends(the ones who actually care).

jeffrice6
07-10-2012, 5:12 AM
Just to make sure your not trolling me, the "Mag-Magnet" if used creates an illegal firearm. If it's illegal and they are trying to make it more illegal, who cares. Now if they are going after all BB's then of course this is non-sense and should be contested.

Don't know what trolling is, but sure I'm not doing it.... In CA there is no step backwards & no surrender! We need a united front!!! Maybe I took what you said out of context, but we should fight every fight, for every defeat/give ~ we take ten steps backwards!

& while not a legal eagle, from what I've read, its just vague enough to be construed that they're going after all "conversions kits"

strongpoint
07-10-2012, 5:59 AM

whoo! whatever you're smoking, i want some.

read the bill in its current form. no, seriously -- READ it. it doesn't do any of those things.

cj1026
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM

i also wanna know that

I was thinking along the same lines. Any thoughts?

Dave22
07-10-2012, 1:14 PM
Along with the Anti-Arizona bill they passed this state is out of control...

Actually it more of an anti-CA bill because it will only attract more illegal immigrants to the state leach off of the system and tax payer dollars. Does not affect AZ any way that I can see.

Colt-45
07-10-2012, 7:17 PM
Large expensive posters but no bumper stickers? come on guys I need a bumper sticker.......

Punisher
07-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Am I missing something? Where or how does the bill make a magazine locking device (bullet button) illegal?

The bill does not appear to ban bullet buttons....bullet buttons convert detachable magazine rifles into fixed magazine rifles.

The bill does ban conversion kits that do the opposite; convert fixed magazine weapons into detachable magazine weapons. Like the mag magnet so easily converts your bullet button fixed magazine into a detachable magazine assault weapon.

What am I missing?

XDm .40
07-11-2012, 1:02 PM
Am I missing something? Where or how does the bill make a magazine locking device (bullet button) illegal?

The bill does not appear to ban bullet buttons....bullet buttons convert detachable magazine rifles into fixed magazine rifles.

The bill does ban conversion kits that do the opposite; convert fixed magazine weapons into detachable magazine weapons. Like the mag magnet so easily converts your bullet button fixed magazine into a detachable magazine assault weapon.

What am I missing?

Agreed, where is the huge disconnect here? If the law is to eliminate the tools/items that will bypass the bullet button and not outlaw the bullet button then I don't see an issue to the extent of welding my magazines or shipping them out of state. I do agree with fighting off any negative change since we are already so restricted but we have all known in the back of our minds that using the magnet or the red tool was a no no and eventually it would be made illegal... well it appears that it came sooner than later. I think the uninformed are creating extra stress on everyone else and that needs to stop. Lets sit back and see where it ends up while still trying to defend what we can.

mag360
07-11-2012, 8:39 PM
Agreed, where is the huge disconnect here? If the law is to eliminate the tools/items that will bypass the bullet button and not outlaw the bullet button then I don't see an issue to the extent of welding my magazines or shipping them out of state. I do agree with fighting off any negative change since we are already so restricted but we have all known in the back of our minds that using the magnet or the red tool was a no no and eventually it would be made illegal... well it appears that it came sooner than later. I think the uninformed are creating extra stress on everyone else and that needs to stop. Lets sit back and see where it ends up while still trying to defend what we can.

what you two are so easily missing is a couple things that i will try to sum up quikcly.

1. it is perfectly legal to own a mag magnet and USE it on a lower when you have put a rimfire upper on it. rimfire uppers do not trigger any legal issues with a mag magnet.

2. they could decide that anything and everything is a conversion kit. i.e. I have a featureless gun, they call the spare pistol grip i have for when I want to make a bullet button gun, a "conversion kit".

do you see why we want to oppose this?

Gunwriter
07-12-2012, 8:25 AM
It seems the the California gun owners' choice will soon be to surrender ALL their LEGAL guns and rights -or- like Gang-Bangers, enjoy the full freedom of gun ownership ILLEGALLY.

Mac7504
07-12-2012, 1:51 PM
It seems the the California gun owners' choice will soon be to surrender ALL their LEGAL guns and rights -or- like Gang-Bangers, enjoy the full freedom of gun ownership ILLEGALLY.

Will not be surrendering anything...

I really don't understand how they pass something, that they themselves, admit violates the constitution.

jamesob
07-12-2012, 4:32 PM
Will not be surrendering anything...

I really don't understand how they pass something, that they themselves, admit violates the constitution.

since when do polititions care about your constitutional rights or if it violates the constitution?

gant
07-12-2012, 8:42 PM
yee himself says in this interview (theres video in this too if you dont want to read that goes over article lol)

that hes going after mag magnets , they even asked him why did he change his mind and not go after the bullet button

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/07/12/bullet-button-supporters-intensify-campaign-against-state-sen-yee/

even if its true , now the news report is talking about brady campaign wanting to just ban ar15s all together (probably old news)

DarkSoul
07-12-2012, 8:58 PM
Why in the hell do the idiots at the Brady Campaign, who understand less about 2nd Amendmant issues, and specific firearm tech than my dog, get air time, but the experts on this issue, the CalGun Org lawyers, get none (rhetorical question), It made me nauseous watching that story.

turbobladz
07-12-2012, 9:11 PM
Petition signed

Mac7504
07-13-2012, 10:48 AM
since when do polititions care about your constitutional rights or if it violates the constitution?

True, what was I thinking..:laugh

yee himself says in this interview (theres video in this too if you dont want to read that goes over article lol)

that hes going after mag magnets , they even asked him why did he change his mind and not go after the bullet button

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/07/12/bullet-button-supporters-intensify-campaign-against-state-sen-yee/

even if its true , now the news report is talking about brady campaign wanting to just ban ar15s all together (probably old news)

Seems that he has settled on the mag magnet, but who knows; stuff changes soo much.

glock7
07-15-2012, 6:38 AM
I feel the same way. I think its a lost cause. Way too many people in CA politics that believe guns are a bad thing. I hate to be a defeatist, but this is a bad law, introduced by a hypocrite politician, to a political body full of gun/gun culture haters. Yee is going to ride this thing to the top, get it signed, and then campaign like crazy on how he got rid of "assault weapons" in California. I really and truly loved this state until I got back into guns a few years ago. Now I loathe living here.

exactly how i feel. My son who goes to a local JC, can't finish, because of the reduction of classes due to the lack of money for the school district. they have cut numerous sports programs, he wanted to play basketball, but lo and behold they've cut the basketball program. He has to go to 3 different JC's just to get the classes he wants. Wake up CA legislature! Taking away the weapons from responsible firearm owners is what they really want to do, that's the long term plan, whether you want to hear it or not....

glock7
07-15-2012, 6:46 AM

unfortunately you are correct. they will nickel and dime us until they render our weapons useless, though the bb is pretty much useless. and going featureless w/ an AR defeats the whole purpose of the AR. I'm going rifle at this point, that should hold me for a little while until i can retire and bug out of this libtard state in a few more years. I love CA, but not as much as i used to, the golden state is tarnished.....:gunsmilie::patriot:

tacmag_pro
07-31-2012, 3:26 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and been trying to follow the issue with Sen. Yee. If you’re not familiar with us we are formally FMJ Reloads and we market a tool similar to Mag Magnet. Some of you may have seen us at the Crossroads Gun Shows. Our company (TAGMAG) has started to collect donations to help Calguns attorneys keep fighting against SB249. TACMAG (http://www.artacmag.com) will be contributing $100.00 from ourselves each show, as well as making "No on 249" Pins for $1 donations.

We believe that this bill will affect several branches of economics, recreation, and most of all our rights to own fire arms in the state of California. "Senator Yee, why does the military and law enforcement use AR-15 style guns; because they work to provide protection for our country and our communities?" The Colorado incident was very tragic but if one person in the audience had a gun to return fire maybe so many people would of not got hurt and the idiot would of fled. Now is not the time to keep restricting and cutting off avenues of revenue and activities for people in California. "I've had all I can stand I can't stands no more." -- Popeye. We will fight.
We also feel that it's important that any vendor selling kits relating to this bill please emphasize the use of it as a tool. Not doing so will just create uneducated citizens and the proper use of their fire arm in California.

prob
07-31-2012, 10:15 PM
It's nice that you're going to donate to help fight SB249, but let's be perfectly honest here, this problem exists precisely because of the products you market. How could anyone behind the research and development of this "tool" not figure out that it was going to come under fire? It is an obvious attempt to get around the bullet button rule that, up until now, had been pretty bullet proof. Now, because of the poor judgement of a few vendors who apparently don't have the foresight to see how their products affect the entire shooting community, we're all under fire.

How could you be so dense?

And before you accuse me of being a shill for the likes of Sen Yee, you need to know that I've been shooting and collecting guns long before most of the people who post on this forum were born. Do I like the bullet button? No. In fact I can't stand it, but were it not for the great guys behind Calguns, most of us would never have been able to even think about owning an AR15, an AK variant, or whatever it may happen to be that makes liberal democrats quake in their boots.

And then you guys came along to screw things up. So great, you're donating a pittance so we can fight one of the biggest legislative battles we've encountered in a long time. A fight that would never have come about were it not for you.

Thanks for nothing.

esp1
07-31-2012, 10:55 PM
@prob I totally agree with you. Some idiots will do anything to make a buck. . . reminds me of how United States aerospace including Continental Aircraft Engines, Superior Aircraft Cylinders and Engines, Cirrus Aircraft, Hawker Beechcraft . . . the list goes on have all sold out to the Chinese.

They (the CEO's and idiot businessmen) first ran their businesses into the ground through poor management, and then sold them off to the first bidder with money to get out of their problem. They sold them off for MONEY. Always with the promise that American jobs will remain here in the USA, but never with the promise that the decades of R&D and scientific development it took to get the companies and technology up to the best in the world wouldn't be given to the country that is going to become our next worst and largest political and economic threat. Good job you greedy, selfish fools.

Mag Magnet and Tac Mag you are cut from the same cloth. Thanks for selling everyone else down the river just so you could personally gain from it.

$100 a gun show donation ? Keep it. Put it in an envelope and send it to the Chinese embassy with a thank you letter for helping out American aerospace.

esp1
07-31-2012, 10:57 PM
What a pathetic attempt at self promotion. . still trying to make money off everyone. . . . .GET OFF OUR FORUM ! Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and been trying to follow the issue with Sen. Yee. If you’re not familiar with us we are formally FMJ Reloads and we market a tool similar to Mag Magnet. Some of you may have seen us at the Crossroads Gun Shows. Our company (TAGMAG) has started to collect donations to help Calguns attorneys keep fighting against SB249. TACMAG (http://www.artacmag.com) will be contributing $100.00 from ourselves each show, as well as making "No on 249" Pins for $1 donations.

We believe that this bill will affect several branches of economics, recreation, and most of all our rights to own fire arms in the state of California. "Senator Yee, why does the military and law enforcement use AR-15 style guns; because they work to provide protection for our country and our communities?" The Colorado incident was very tragic but if one person in the audience had a gun to return fire maybe so many people would of not got hurt and the idiot would of fled. Now is not the time to keep restricting and cutting off avenues of revenue and activities for people in California. "I've had all I can stand I can't stands no more." -- Popeye. We will fight.
We also feel that it's important that any vendor selling kits relating to this bill please emphasize the use of it as a tool. Not doing so will just create uneducated citizens and the proper use of their fire arm in California.

The Gleam
08-01-2012, 2:43 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and been trying to follow the issue with Sen. Yee. If you’re not familiar with us we are formally FMJ Reloads and we market a tool similar to Mag Magnet. Some of you may have seen us at the Crossroads Gun Shows. Our company (TAGMAG) has .....

:rolleyes: . :mad: . :cuss: . :censored: . :icon_bs:

:xeno:

chris
08-01-2012, 6:12 PM

they never do and don't care either.

Lc17smp
08-01-2012, 11:54 PM
While I dont think the mag magnet was something that should ever been made I really doubt they are the reason we are in this mess. Have you seen the ranges lately or perhaps the yearly increase in dros for the last 10 years? The commies want gun control. things are getting out of control in their eyes and they want to stop it. Over 4 million dros in the last 10 years isnt really what they had in mind for us.

Dragunov
08-02-2012, 11:27 AM
exactly how i feel. My son who goes to a local JC, can't finish, because of the reduction of classes due to the lack of money for the school district. they have cut numerous sports programs, he wanted to play basketball, but lo and behold they've cut the basketball program. He has to go to 3 different JC's just to get the classes he wants. Wake up CA legislature! Taking away the weapons from responsible firearm owners is what they really want to do, that's the long term plan, whether you want to hear it or not....We need a "Like" or a "Thanks" button here!:yes:

speedrrracer
08-02-2012, 3:55 PM

I wouldn't trust a word that came out of Yee's mouth

Just-in
08-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Is the rumor true that it attacks bullet buttons as well.
This all started over channel 5's report, what persuaded them to cover it in the first place!

Hank Dodge
08-03-2012, 11:55 AM
In reading the language of SB249, I'm understanding it as a ban on the "mag-magnet" type attachments that allow normal release function in a rifle with a mag lock / "bullet-button". Has it not already been illegal to use that type of a device? I see this as a whole lot of news and concern about absolutely nothing. This senator is just looking stupid trying to make a name for himself by "banning" a simple magnetic device that is already illegal to use in this application. I don't get it?

The part that does bother me is that it has put the fire under the Brady campaign and those that wish to threaten the rights of gun owners again. I don't think that SB249 will have any implications in itself to those with now legal rifles, but I do see it bringing increased attention to light.

SB249 Bill Analysis:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0201-0250/sb_249_cfa_20120702_100005_asm_comm.html

Just my thoughts....

hnoppenberger
08-03-2012, 12:59 PM
sb249 has been clarified to include the bullet button. as it stands right now feature-less looks to be ok.

n6vmo
08-03-2012, 1:08 PM
TACMAG will be contributing $100.00 from ourselves each show, as well as making "No on 249" Pins for $1 donations.

$100 per gun show...what a crock.:rolleyes:

Hank Dodge
08-03-2012, 5:59 PM
sb249 has been clarified to include the bullet button. as it stands right now feature-less looks to be ok.

Where are you specifically finding that the bullet-button itself is being outlawed in the bill?

Just-in
08-03-2012, 7:18 PM
Channel 5 made it seem as if the bullet button creates a rifle with a detatchable magazine. I feel this is why the bullet button is attacked in the first paragraph.

Vlad 11
08-03-2012, 8:30 PM
While I dont think the mag magnet was something that should ever been made I really doubt they are the reason we are in this mess. Have you seen the ranges lately or perhaps the yearly increase in dros for the last 10 years? The commies want gun control. things are getting out of control in their eyes and they want to stop it. Over 4 million dros in the last 10 years isnt really what they had in mind for us.

What they (gun grabbing legislators) have in mind for us and whats occurs are usually polar opposites.

Everytime some POS bill to reduce guns is pushed, the sales of firearms explode. EVERYTIME. The gungrabbers just cant seem to wrap their 4 braincells around this fact. This whole thing is going to be a spectacular failure for the gungrabbers. And sure as hell the sale of firearms are going to explode once again.

norcal-ar
08-04-2012, 8:41 AM
tagged

Speedpower
08-05-2012, 6:56 AM
Is the rumor true that it attacks bullet buttons as well.
This all started over channel 5's report, what persuaded them to cover it in the first place!

It's because of the threads in the forums that talks about bullet button. :rolleyes:

AlbinoRhino
08-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I was thinking maybe we should create even more laws banning mental illness and any & all criminal activities along with SB249 - that will certainly stop the folks bent on doing hideous acts and make me feel really good too!. I am absolutely positive SB249 will stop the schizophrenics in their tracks and prevent them from acquiring illegal firearms and murder knowing that they are breaking yet another law.

Gunwriter
08-05-2012, 12:38 PM
From AZ; my $.02
As California gun owners prepare for yet ANOTHER defeat and loss of rights and freedoms, an intelligent person asks "Why" and "How" this can happen?
The first is obvious: gun-hating Liberals and the complicit media.

The "how" is more painful to admit: Gun owners do not have a Central organization that provides Teeth to stop the laws via Federal courts. The NRA is useless. What is needed is $$$ for this specific purpose--and lots of it. A "Self-imposed" fee FOR THIS SPECIIFIC PURPOSE needs to be assessed on every firearm and ammunition sale in CA; nationwide if possible.
Call me nuts, but nothing else has worked so far...

Bangzoom
08-05-2012, 2:52 PM
From AZ; my $.02
As California gun owners prepare for yet ANOTHER defeat and loss of rights and freedoms, an intelligent person asks "Why" and "How" this can happen?
The first is obvious: gun-hating Liberals and the complicit media.

The "how" is more painful to admit: Gun owners do not have a Central organization that provides Teeth to stop the laws via Federal courts. The NRA is useless. What is needed is $$$ for this specific purpose--and lots of it. A "Self-imposed" fee FOR THIS SPECIIFIC PURPOSE needs to be assessed on every firearm and ammunition sale in CA; nationwide if possible.
Call me nuts, but nothing else has worked so far...

as far as i am concerned every person in the country that wants to protect the 2A should be helping us..I call California a "Domino state" because they will infest other states if they see they can get away with it here much longer

Mendo223
08-06-2012, 1:52 AM
i for one will NOT be welding my BB even if SB249 passes.....

Gunwriter
08-06-2012, 3:00 PM
With less than 5800 gun owners signing the petition, SB 249 will pass. It will take a couple hundred thousand signatures to even get the Legislature's attention.

No guns or instant criminals...

Gunwriter
08-06-2012, 3:05 PM
PS:
I have made my marketing contacts at S&W and Colt aware of this pending legislation. I have not personally received a response...

Windex
08-08-2012, 7:11 AM
I just received an update on SB249. How is it possible that we only have 7153 signatures. What the hell is going on?

simplesb
08-08-2012, 8:45 AM
I wonder if it is possible to organize gun shops and individuals at gun ranges and gun shows to just have a laptop available for people to sign the online petition? I would imagine, though, most people would not want to be hassled either. Like most people try to avoid signing a petition outside stores.

glocksmith
08-08-2012, 9:14 AM
The amount of signatures is ridiculous. What the hell.

TURBOELKY
08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
They want to take your guns, and sell them to Mexico. This bill is so crazy, if it passes i want a one way ticket to the the Philippines or equivalent.

TATER313
08-08-2012, 11:21 AM
maybe we need to set a parade in SF, then Sacramento to have California hear our voice.

Mp5marley
08-08-2012, 5:12 PM
Please! everyone please spread the word through facebook or twitter or however! Telegraph, morse code!
i told 5 friends today!!!

Mac7504
08-08-2012, 8:01 PM
Just got an update from Turners; they are going after the entire BB, not just the mag magnet now?

This is really scary and sad...Fear drives everything, doesn't it..smh.

Many people will become criminals in a year if this passes.

Skin1991
08-09-2012, 2:26 AM
Just got an update from Turners; they are going after the entire BB, not just the mag magnet now?

This is really scary and sad...Fear drives everything, doesn't it..smh.

Many people will become criminals in a year if this passes.

"If they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns" Guess many of us will become outlaws then cause i know most people wont turn over anything.

BigMac
08-09-2012, 7:58 AM
This is all interesting because the supreme court ruled banning common firearms unconsittutional.
The AR is the most commonly sold firearm in America.

I seen that updated version.
Seems like they need to open a reg window, but thats not in the text.

Man this water is geeting hot...

kjq
08-09-2012, 10:02 AM
It appears this bill will make it to law. Last night, Yee stated on KOVR 13 News that he is ready to do war with us. KPIX Channel 5 started this war and all other stations are jumping on the band wagon. We need to strongly encourage CRPA to buy air time on major TV stations and present the other side of the story that won't be told by the media. Again, law makers are punishing law abiding citizens for the likes of a very few. For too long, the general public has accepted the line that, "It's for public safety." We now know that the agenda is to disarm citizens. If that happens, none of us will be safe in our own homes. Liberals argue that "Assult" type weapons are for killing people and have no hunting value. Truthfully, I've never had a bear try to break into my home, so go figure. Truthfully, we have sat for too long. The libs have a major lead on us. It's going to take a big battle to win and I'll bet most gun owners will be too busy.

frankm
08-09-2012, 11:42 AM
"If they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns" Guess many of us will become outlaws then cause i know most people wont turn over anything.

That's what I'm hearing too. Everybody is getting real subversive.

anymoose
08-09-2012, 12:45 PM

its going to be almost funny when 249 becomes law and they get like 10 guns turned in.

Excelsior
08-09-2012, 2:46 PM
I have two questions.

If (God forbid) SB249 becomes law, what impact does it have to registered "assault weapons" in the state? Is someone going to some looking for my two AR's?

Second, in all sincerity, it it passes, how do those who own bullet-buttoned guns legally retain them in this state in ANY sort of condition? Would plugging the gas tube be enough, effectively turning the rifle into a "pump action"?

anymoose
08-09-2012, 3:09 PM
I have two questions.

If (God forbid) SB249 becomes law, what impact does it have to registered "assault weapons" in the state? Is someone going to some looking for my two AR's?

Second, in all sincerity, it it passes, how do those who own bullet-buttoned guns legally retain them in this state in ANY sort of condition? Would plugging the gas tube be enough, effectively turning the rifle into a "pump action"?

Go featureless.

Rock6.3
08-09-2012, 3:25 PM
Go featureless.
That would be a great solution, if we loose the fight.
And if Mr. Yee does not follow thru with his stated plan to make Off List Lowers illegal.

We clearly need to stay in the fight now and worry about dealing with the problems later.

Cowboy T
08-09-2012, 3:52 PM
It appears this bill will make it to law.

I'm not surprised. There are too many Yees and deLeons in the General Assembly that are power-drunk. Gov. Brown will certainly sign it.

Liberals argue that "Assult" type weapons are for killing people and have no hunting value. Truthfully, I've never had a bear try to break into my home, so go figure. Truthfully, we have sat for too long. The libs have a major lead on us. It's going to take a big battle to win and I'll bet most gun owners will be too busy.

Not *this* Liberal. Your fight is my fight, because we all lose if this continued erosion of our rights continues. Besides, the Second Amendment is not, and never has been, about "hunting" or "sport". It's about Us, The People being able to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government. *THAT* is why it's important to maintain this right, and in California, claw it back from those we allowed to take it away from us.

Besides, if a bear tries to break into your home, a 12-gauge with slugs is probably a better idea than a typical AR-15 anyway. ;)

wiremanUP
08-11-2012, 12:22 PM
So would this bill effect Ak's also? I own a Arsenal SGL-21-61 with a different style mag release so will this bill apply to that style of mag release also?

Rock6.3
08-11-2012, 12:33 PM
So would this bill effect Ak's also? I own a Arsenal SGL-21-61 with a different style mag release so will this bill apply to that style of mag release also?

Let's see:

Semi Auto? Check.
Evil Features? Check.

Yep it applies. Get your friends and family active in the campaign to defeat SB249. It will be moving thru appropriations on Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

Ketchem
08-11-2012, 4:00 PM
If Yee and DeLeon get their way and SB 249 passes wait until next year and the one after that................NONE of your guns will be safe from new laws because this is only the beginning. Newsom and Harris will vow to be the top dog in California and outlaw all guns, ammo, knives and anything that resembles a weapon. Don't think it can happen? Just wait and see. Now is the time to make huge donations to the NRA, CRPA, CCRKBA, 2ND Amendment Foundation and any other gun group that supports the 2ND Amendment.

Bangzoom
08-12-2012, 5:09 PM
Go featureless.

Then down the road he will make a press conference saying "Now they are circumventing the spirit of the law with these modifications...yada yada blah blah..."

Then ban ban ban ban

HE WONT STOP!!!!

Dismal_Scientist
08-13-2012, 3:40 PM
Just dropped a big stack of letters off at the post office :cool:

prob
08-13-2012, 4:23 PM
Just dropped a big stack of letters off at the post office :cool:

That makes two of us.

imaham
08-13-2012, 5:29 PM
When you contact the appropriate people, be sure and mention to them that we already have laws in this state prohibiting more than 10 round magazines. This is nothing more than a smokescreen by Mr. Yee to prohibit firearms strictly for their "appearance". Remember when the "assault weapons" discussion was going on it had nothing to do with true assault weapons, those weapons that are military grade fully automatic weapons. It had everything to do with appearance and these people in our state offices made their decisions based on that criteria. Most of them don't even know the difference between a bullet and a cartridge, let alone being able to distinguish between various types of firearms.
Let's shut this thing down with the power of our voices, our faxes and our e-mail's to them.

unusedusername
08-13-2012, 6:13 PM
That makes two of us.

And another

oldironpants
08-13-2012, 6:17 PM
Law enforcement also has a large voice to be heard in this matter as well as a personal stake as law abiding citizens, along with our fellow law abiding citizens.

I have made a request to our Deputy Sheriff's Association to submit correspondences on behalf of the "Association" and officers as a group.

If you are an LEO, I respectfully request that you contact your POA or DSA to correspond on behalf of your officers as well.

Mac7504
08-13-2012, 7:03 PM
I'm am thankful for those who do speak up.
http://www.turners.com/engage/events_sheriff_sniff_sb249.php

oldironpants
08-13-2012, 7:42 PM
I'm am thankful for those who do speak up.
http://www.turners.com/engage/events_sheriff_sniff_sb249.phpGreat letter and I whole heartedly agree and thank 'you', Mac. I hope that the "boots on the ground" join in on the concerted effort with a unified voice as well.

Mac7504
08-13-2012, 7:58 PM
It was beautifully written, anyone with common sense should get it; wait, we are talking politicians, are we not…:nono:

This was did make me smile a bit knowing people in the LE community are speaking up as well. :)

Sanchanim
08-13-2012, 9:22 PM
I have written I have called. I have made the purchase.
If this passes who wants to march on Sacramento open carry with AR's?
You know just asking...
If we do nothing and it passes, then they will show up and want them back not even so much as a red cent for us being compliant to their rules.
If 5000 or more show up on the capitals door step and show them we are not going away, we are peaceful and we are not going to let them take them away, what message would you think that would send?

opie4386
08-13-2012, 9:54 PM
First we need to check the regulations and get the proper permits before we form rally

Mac7504
08-13-2012, 9:59 PM
I really don't know how it would look to be out in the open with rifles like that; just screams for a bad time. Plus, what if they get confiscated? Is there open carry allowed in Sac?

BMartin1776
08-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Aside from fighting this law what are the plans to get Lee out of office? He and the others with like minds are the problem. I hear nothing about what is being done to get him out. Cmon surely there are some people out there to run against him? Surely there are some folks in LE, prosecutors, investigators etc who should look into this guy? The progressives will have investigators out the wazoo on someone who threatens their "stuff" why is it none of this is happening against a hardcore dem?

Where is CalGuns and the NRA as far as sponsoring/ backing people to run against these people?

Now we are left having to handle the fight where we should have people in office to do the fighting for us.

Michael735
08-14-2012, 9:50 AM
Called all the offices this morning. The interesting thing is that in asking them, they were all very familiar with the bill. Hopefully that means that a lot of us are calling.......

Tronite
08-14-2012, 10:33 AM
BMartini, I've been thinking about the same thing lately but not just Yee. I've been considering a billboard on the 101 north/south corridor (bay area) about a month before the elections and have it run for a month urging voters to vote OUT their democrat representative. I've already written one billboard agency asking for pricing. I was then going to ask this and some other non-firearms groups if they'd be interested in chipping in on a group effort towards a billboard. I'll keep you in mind if you're interested.

prob
08-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Where is CalGuns and the NRA as far as sponsoring/ backing people to run against these people?

NRA? In California? Nowhere to be seen. As far as I'm concerned they've thrown us under the bus except when they need us for fund raising to help the rest of the nation.

And I say this as a life member.

akoba
08-14-2012, 12:42 PM
NRA? In California? Nowhere to be seen. As far as I'm concerned they've thrown us under the bus except when they need us for fund raising to help the rest of the nation.

And I say this as a life member.

I didn't notice them too. That's why i did not renew my membership cause i don't know the benefits and if they will stand on my side if i needed them. But you will get a lot of spam/offer email from them for free. lols

delisle
08-14-2012, 1:02 PM
I sent a total of 18 letters in the mail yesterday and today I will be burning up the phone lines. I have been sending emails and making phone calls for the last month.

Keep up the good fight folks, we might beat this thing after all.

labillyboy
08-14-2012, 1:35 PM
Here's what I have been sending to every politician with an email address in CA... I added some of my own common sense to help them understand...

As you have never considered the overall impact and ineffectiveness of your proposal SB249.

I am writing you to urge you to join Riverside County Sheriff Stan Sniff, myself and hundreds of thousands of law abiding California citizen in opposing SB 249 which will be presented to the Appropriations Committee on August 16th 2012.

In the words of Sheriff Sniff:
"Even more critically, we should not be turning entire classes of citizen gun-owners from all walks of life, which made good-faith lawful rifle purchases over the past few years, into criminals."

A criminal with ANY gun is dangerous. California’s approach to ban things for law abiding gun owners has zero effect on gun crime, law abiding people don’t commit crimes. In fact law abiding gun owners free to carry actually have been proven to prevent crime.

Here’s the stupidity of California’s 10 round magazine law and now the bullet button ban you propose … think about this… a criminal with a bagful of revolvers (which you are never going to ban) has more firepower than any gun available to a civilian anywhere in the U.S. a bad guy could buy or steal a dozen .357 magnum 6 shooters (for the same price as a semi auto rifle or less), load them up, put them in a gym bag and have 72 rounds without reloading, (about as powerful as a .223 rifle) and can shoot 2 guns at a time.

Thank you for your time and attention.

VCEnterprises
08-14-2012, 1:35 PM
My letters went into the mail this morning (to their district office if local and to sac if not).

I called all the sac numbers ~1:15pm today and didn't get one busy signal, not one "please hold"... They are no doubt getting many calls, but we need to have their phones jammed with calls. I'm concerned we don't have enough people calling.

EVERYONE CALL NOW

VCEnterprises
08-14-2012, 1:42 PM
oops, didn't intend to post yet.

Please follow all the fax, email requests in the next couple of days.

On the NRA, I received a card yesterday from the NRA ILA about SB249 asking to contact you Senetor and Assembly member.

I like Calguns approach better. It would be nice if the NRA would align better with Calguns on these things and put on the card to go to calguns.com/sb249 and follow the instructions. It would have been more effective ans many NRA members don't frequent Calguns...

prob
08-14-2012, 4:05 PM
My letters went into the mail this morning (to their district office if local and to sac if not).

I called all the sac numbers ~1:15pm today and didn't get one busy signal, not one "please hold"... They are no doubt getting many calls, but we need to have their phones jammed with calls. I'm concerned we don't have enough people calling.

EVERYONE CALL NOW

I called before noon and did not encounter one busy signal. There are few groups who are as strikingly apathetic as gun owners.

jetspeedz
08-14-2012, 5:20 PM
I signed and donated when this issue first came up. I have not kept up with the latest on this.

Can someone give me a cliff notes version of what has happened and the process. The sb249 website states there was a 7-2 vote against it but I'm reading it is going to pass?

Fill me in so I can pass this on to others who don't check the forums daily.

Thanks

Mac7504
08-14-2012, 6:08 PM
Isn't the vote tomorrow?

EDIT: nevermind, it's the 16th!!! My bday...:nono: not going to happen..

Sacbarter
08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Well.. I have been writing all the area chief's of police and several county sheriffs encouraging them to stand up against SB249.. Be sure to write your police and sheriff departments, your mayor and other officials along with your senators.

Skin1991
08-14-2012, 11:29 PM
That's what I'm hearing too. Everybody is getting real subversive.

good, maybe then this state will realize that trying to take guns from hundreds of thousands of people who arnt going to give them up isnt the smartest thing.

VCEnterprises
08-14-2012, 11:36 PM
I signed and donated when this issue first came up. I have not kept up with the latest on this.

Can someone give me a cliff notes version of what has happened and the process. The sb249 website states there was a 7-2 vote against it but I'm reading it is going to pass?

Fill me in so I can pass this on to others who don't check the forums daily.

Thanks

Go here: http://www.calguns.net/249/
There's an action for each of us to follow each day
All their phone and fax numbers, mailing addresses...
CALL CALL CALL The appropriations committee vote is Thursday.
Follow the advice and be nice, but they need to know we won't sit quietly by for this.

jetspeedz
08-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the link.

I guess what I would like to know is what happens after the Appropriations Committe vote?

I found this which might help others as well:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/guide.html#Appendix_A

Overview of Legislative Process

The process of government by which bills are considered and laws enacted by the California State Legislature is commonly referred to as the legislative process. The California State Legislature is made up of two houses: the Senate and the Assembly. There are 40 Senators and 80 Assembly Members representing the people of the State of California. The Legislature maintains a legislative calendar governing the introduction and processing of the legislative measures during its two-year regular session.

Idea
All legislation begins as an idea or concept. Ideas and concepts can come from a variety of sources. The process begins when a Senator or Assembly Member decides to author a bill.

The Author
A legislator sends the idea for the bill to the Office of the Legislative Counsel, where it is drafted into bill form. The draft of the bill is returned to the legislator for introduction. If the author is a Senator, the bill is introduced in the Senate. If the author is an Assembly Member, the bill is introduced in the Assembly.

First Reading/Introduction
A bill is introduced or read the first time when the bill number, the name of the author, and the descriptive title of the bill are read on the floor of the house. The bill is then sent to the Office of State Publishing. No bill except the Budget Bill may be acted upon until 30 days have passed from the date of its introduction.

Committee Hearings
After introduction, a bill goes to the rules committee of the house, where it is a assigned to the appropriate policy committee for its first hearing. Bills are assigned to policy committees according to subject area. For example, a Senate bill dealing with health care facilities would first be assigned to the Senate Health and Human Services Committee for policy review. Bills that require the expenditure of funds must also be heard in the fiscal committees, Senate Appropriations and Assembly Appropriations. Each committee is made up of a specified number of Senators or Assembly Members.

During the committee hearing the author presents the bill to the committee, and testimony may be heard in support or opposition to the bill. The committee then votes on whether to pass the bill out of committee, or that it be passed as amended. Bills may be amended several times. It takes a majority vote of the committee membership for a bill to be passed and sent to the next committee or to the floor.

Each house maintains a schedule of legislative committee hearings. Prior to a bill's hearing, a bill analysis is prepared that explains the intended effect of the bill on current law, together with background information. Typically the analysis also lists organizations that support or oppose the bill.

Second and Third Reading
Bills passed by committees are read a second time on the floor in the house of origin and then assigned to third reading. Bill analyses are also prepared prior to third reading. When a bill is read the third time it is explained by the author, discussed by the Members, and voted on by a roll call vote. Bills that require an appropriation, or that take effect immediately, ordinarily require 27 votes in the Senate and 54 votes in the Assembly to be passed. Other bills generally require 21 votes in the Senate and 41 votes in the Assembly. If a bill is defeated, the Member may seek reconsideration and another vote.

Repeat Process in Other House
Once the bill has been approved by the house of origin it proceeds to the other house where the procedure described above is repeated.

Resolution of Differences
If a bill is amended in the second house, it must go back to the house of origin for concurrence, meaning agreement on those amendments. If the house of origin does not concur in those amendments, the bill is referred to a two-house conference committee to resolve the differences. Three members of the committee are from the Senate and three are from the Assembly. If a compromise is reached, the bill is returned to both houses for a vote.

Governor
If both houses approve a bill, it goes to the Governor. The Governor has three choices: sign the bill into law, allow it to become law without his or her signature, or veto it. A governor's veto can be overridden by a two-thirds vote in both houses. Most enacted bills go into effect on the first day of January of the next year. Urgency bills, and certain other measures, take effect immediately after they are enacted into law.

California Law
Each bill that is passed by the Legislature and approved by the Governor is assigned a chapter number by the Secretary of State. These chaptered bills are statutes, and ordinarily become part of the California Codes. The California Codes are a comprehensive collection of laws grouped by subject matter.

The California Constitution sets forth the fundamental laws by which the State of California is governed. All amendments to the California Constitution come about as a result of constitutional amendments approved by the voters at a statewide election.

oldironpants
08-15-2012, 5:58 AM
You can always tell who the cowards are. Hmmmm, high volume of email, go figure. That's alright Nancy, you got a call and a fax as well.THIS ACCOUNT NO LONGER RECEIVES E-MAIL.

Thank you for contacting AD14 Assemblymember Nancy Skinner. Due to the high volume of e-mails this is an automatic response to guide you so that your inquiry is directed appropriately....When I called Cedillo's office yesterday, his phone lackey was clearly disgusted when I informed him I was representing a deputy sheriff's association that was unanimously opposed to SB249. His voice dripped with disdain.:coolgleamA:

Guess we done good! ;)

Sacbarter
08-15-2012, 10:51 AM
I sent a letter to Sacramento Sheriff Jones yesterday, this is his office's response.

"Sheriff Jones opposes SB249, and like Sheriff Sniff he authored a letter stating so.

Best to you,

Lanette McKinley

Office of the Sheriff"

jetspeedz
08-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I sent out 30 emails to the people in Sacramento and also notified my local range owner and friends and urged them to do the same.

cheers

Mac7504
08-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Can't believe sb1315 passed...smh

Hope Brown will VETO but probably not.

Mac7504
08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Can't believe sb1315 passed...hope Brown Will veto it..

D-FORCE
08-15-2012, 9:36 PM
I called Vice Chair Diane Harkeys office this evening and was informed SB249 was chaired and off the table for the 2012 session. Are others hearing the same?

Mac7504
08-15-2012, 9:40 PM
I called Vice Chair Diane Harkeys office this evening and was informed SB249 was chaired and off the table for the 2012 session. Are others hearing the same?

I read the same.

jetspeedz
08-15-2012, 9:42 PM
if this is the case and worst case scenario it does get passes it will not go into law until Jan 2014 I suspect?

pennys dad
08-16-2012, 2:34 AM
it is back on

pennys dad
08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Community Action "Thursday" - Fight Back Against SB249
Use this link CALGUNS SB249 Page for Talking points to Fax (SB249)-Call-Email-Fax-Hit Them with everything (www.calguns.net/249)
Lets Hammer them!

Community Action "Thursday" - Fight Back Against SB249

oldironpants
08-16-2012, 11:15 AM
It doesn't mean it's dead completely, just dead for this year. This from the SacBee:

August 15, 2012

Leland Yee bill targeting military-style guns dies in committee (http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2012/08/leland-yee-bill-targeting-military-style-guns-dies-in-committee.html)

Legislation aimed at closing a legal "loophole" allowing owners of military-style guns to sidestep the state's assault weapons ban has died in the Assembly Appropriations Committee.

Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, said the appropriations committee has decided not to hear Senate Bill 249 on Thursday, when it must decide which bills reach the Assembly floor for a vote before lawmakers adjourn for the year Aug. 31.

SB 249 would ban devices that allow magazines of ammunition to be reloaded so quickly that semiautomatic firearms can be fired almost like assault weapons, releasing dozens of bullets within seconds, Yee said.

Yee's bill comes in the wake of mass murders in Colorado and Wisconsin that he says have generated momentum for a crackdown.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2012/08/leland-yee-bill-targeting-military-style-guns-dies-in-committee.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy

jetspeedz
08-16-2012, 11:53 AM
This is a temporary win for the good guys.

GFRGFR
08-16-2012, 1:14 PM
I am seeing tweets that SB249 didn't get heard by the Appropriations committee and that it won't be heard now because they have closed all new business. I note that it is still listed on the list of hearings, although that may be because the list hasn't been updated.

Does anybody know for sure?

Also, can it be heard tomorrow?

RoundEye
08-16-2012, 1:29 PM
I am seeing tweets that SB249 didn't get heard by the Appropriations committee and that it won't be heard now because they have closed all new business. I note that it is still listed on the list of hearings, although that may be because the list hasn't been updated.

Does anybody know for sure?

Also, can it be heard tomorrow?

My understanding is te Yee is in there with tr the committee chair lobbying to get it heard. Even if it doesn't get to the committee today it can always be brought to te senate floor by waiver between now and te end of the month when the legislative session ends.

Basically they're no rules!!!