PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Rifles outta State

borednnewtocali
06-26-2012, 2:21 PM
Hey new to the forum just moved here sadly and i have some questions. If i wanted to could i buy a non cali compliant ar/ak/fal/whatever if i kept it at my relatives house in a state that allows such rifles/magazines/accessories?

jsipe007
06-26-2012, 2:27 PM
Well, thats an interesting question and it depends on if youre a California resident or if your residency is in another state. Im definitely not an expert on the topic so I'll let others go into detail more, but if you are a Cali resident I do not believe you can purchase a non compliant rifle in the first place (unless you build it or its not "complete" when you buy it)

JDW67
06-26-2012, 2:49 PM
Do you have another address in another state? Do you have id for that other state? If yes, then it's perfectly legal to store guns in that state.

Librarian
06-26-2012, 3:47 PM
Well, thats an interesting question and it depends on if youre a California resident or if your residency is in another state. Im definitely not an expert on the topic so I'll let others go into detail more, but if you are a Cali resident I do not believe you can purchase a non compliant rifle in the first place (unless you build it or its not "complete" when you buy it)

Yes, that's the issue.

If you had 'non-conforming' firearms before you moved to CA, perfectly legal to store them out of state and go visit them as you like.

If you are now a resident of CA, however ...

It's illegal for someone to sell a gun to a non-FFL someone else who does not live in the same state as the seller.

For long guns, for people who live in places NOT California, the solution is to go to an FFL and make the transfer there.

(Handguns require an FFL in the state of residence of the person who will take possession - sale, trade or gift.)

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki article on

Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

ssaction
06-26-2012, 9:04 PM
Is it legal for a California resident to buy a stripped AR-15 lower in CA, take it out of state & assemble it with all the evil features, then leave it there & visit it on occasion?

locosway
06-26-2012, 9:56 PM
Yes, that's the issue.

If you had 'non-conforming' firearms before you moved to CA, perfectly legal to store them out of state and go visit them as you like.

If you are now a resident of CA, however ...

It's illegal for someone to sell a gun to a non-FFL someone else who does not live in the same state as the seller.

For long guns, for people who live in places NOT California, the solution is to go to an FFL and make the transfer there.

(Handguns require an FFL in the state of residence of the person who will take possession - sale, trade or gift.)

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki article on

Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

Something interesting came up this past weekend when I was in Arizona. Apparently there's a gun store in town that can sell to Californians. I said, "Sure, if they send the gun to a CA FFL". But apparently that wasn't the case. I was getting the info second hand, so I don't know if there was details missing.

Question is, does CA allow out of state dealers to sell CA legal firearms to CA residents if they have paperwork to do so?

Librarian
06-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Something interesting came up this past weekend when I was in Arizona. Apparently there's a gun store in town that can sell to Californians. I said, "Sure, if they send the gun to a CA FFL". But apparently that wasn't the case. I was getting the info second hand, so I don't know if there was details missing.

Question is, does CA allow out of state dealers to sell CA legal firearms to CA residents if they have paperwork to do so?

Not so far as I am aware. PC 25600 says (a) No person shall sell, lease, or transfer firearms unless
the person has been issued a license pursuant to Article 1
(commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with
Section 26800) of Chapter 2. and 26700 says As used in this division, and in any other provision listed
in Section 16580, "dealer," "licensee," or "person licensed pursuant
to Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive" means a person who satisfies
all of the following requirements:
(a) Has a valid federal firearms license.
(b) Has any regulatory or business license, or licenses, required
by local government.
(c) Has a valid seller's permit issued by the State Board of
Equalization.
(d) Has a certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of
Justice pursuant to Section 26710.
(e) Has a license issued in the format prescribed by subdivision
(c) of Section 26705.
(f) Is among those recorded in the centralized list specified in
Section 26715.

What gets us residents of CA, that the Feds enforce, is 27545 Where neither party to the transaction holds a dealer's
license issued pursuant to Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, the
parties to the transaction shall complete the sale, loan, or transfer
of that firearm through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to
Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 28050).

Will CA-DOJ license a non-CA dealer? I doubt it.

stix213
06-26-2012, 10:49 PM
As a California resident you can buy California compliant firearms here, go out of state to your relative's house, and unCalifornify them there. People here do it all the time, where they swap out their bullet buttons for adult mag releases when in NV or AZ and then return them to child like status before returning to CA.

Just make sure they are in CA legal configuration if/when you bring them back to CA. Also you may want to check on laws regarding long term loans of firearms in that state.

borednnewtocali
06-27-2012, 3:03 PM
ok i havent filed my change of address or gotten a cali drivers licence yet so my primary address is still in virginia so buy gun wit all the fun features n store it at my cousins?

smittty
06-27-2012, 3:41 PM
You can legally own guns in a different state or even different country and be a california resident. Check the laws of the other state or country.

So to answer your question, yes you can.

I legally own guns in a different state and in another country so I'm not guessing, I know this for fact.

borednnewtocali
07-03-2012, 2:25 PM
cool so i can buy my tricked out ar n ak just cant keep em at the house.....sucks less but still sucks. here's a question regarding to what was mentioned above i can buy a cali legal m4 type rifle take it outta state n put a mag release on as long as i take the mag release off when i bring it back in the state?