PDA

View Full Version : can i add other desiccants to my safe desiccant jar?

high_revs
06-26-2012, 1:20 PM
wondering.. i'm saving all these other desiccants. my old desiccant started rusting a little more. probably a non-issue but just didn't want it. so i ordered to spare canisters from midway and just split the 750ml one.

i saved these other desiccants but i wonder if i can mix them with the one i bought for the safe. the only concern is during re-charging of the can. would they be toxic (under heat) or possibly melt? i got mind from dehumidify.com and i recharge it per instructions at 325f for 3 hours (possibly more if really saturated)

These packages I saved they came from shoe boxes or another large box since the packet was about 2x3". and another from a food container i think in a 2x2" packet. i wonder about the effectiveness of the 2x2" packet one since the packet was made of plastic (feels like plastic) and i don't see holes for it to absorb moisture. but it does say non-toxic (obviously in food stuff).

just wondering if i can mix them with my desiccant bought for the safe.

p.s can't find info on mixing desiccants and if ok. i see there are like at least 5 -6 types.

JaeFern
06-26-2012, 1:23 PM
You should be fine.

-Jae from my Photon 4G

Edit: just don't raise the temp higher than it needs to be.

billped
06-26-2012, 2:48 PM
I agree that you probably should be fine, but my chemistry learnings included the admonition to not mix items under heat unless I knew I was OK. Yes, I guess that keeps me from making soup, but for desiccants I would personally use separate containers for each chemical.

Also, desiccant is CHEAP. Just go buy five pounds for $10 or so.

high_revs
06-27-2012, 11:36 AM
ok thanks. i don't know what type of desiccants came with my dehumidifer vs. those packets i saved. just didn't want to throw them away. i was just going to add them to the new containers that aren't full. :)

i'll try it on one and just keep an eye on it to see what happens. and start with a lower temp during recharging.