View Full Version : Ugly Nor Cal coyote down!!!

06-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Went out with Colby and Don this morning.. Walking in we jumped a Coyote that looked like it was chasing grasshoppers. It didn't see us till I jacked a round in the chamber....it looked up and bailed I tried to stop it and it was having non of that.
We stuck with the plan and headed out to where I wanted to call from. I then saw a Coyote out about 500 yds in a big flat watching me put the Fox Pro out. Some would have gave up in this situation but with all the dogs I had already seen I knew there'd be some that hadn't watched us come in and set up.

I had a stinking hunch there was a den close by so I just started with pup distress. that got the attn of a couple coyotes they started howling but never came in. Then I saw a pair way off moving across the flat and they'd stop and look every now and then.
Then we started getting a challenge howl or something similar so i matched it and that went on for about 10 mins.
I stopped for a bit and then a howl came that was right around the corner.......... I wasn't even set to shoot I had Colby and Don out in front of me I was set up higher and to Colby's right side and behind him....... the only way I could have a shot on a coyote was for it to come and stand right where it stood,,,,right between Colby and I and out to my right side, all I was doing was operating the caller and here was a coyote Close and Colby couldn't move to shoot. I got up and peaked around the rocks I was sitting on and there about 80 yds away stood a coyote I rested my Savage 243 on a rock and let em have an 87 gr vmax.BOOM,FLOP was the theme of the morning.............
Colby got to watch and Don was an innocent bystander again....Sorry guys.
Sam is amazing and getting better he got to the coyote just before I did and he gave it a friendly shake to make sure it was expired.
Colby has come along way, instead of trying to move for a shot he sat still once he realized I was moving for a shot. Patience is key when hunting coyotes and Colby has realized it and I'm proud to say that he's way farther along to being an excellent hunter than I was at 25 yrs old and he's only 11.
So I've got a couple pictures from last night of Colby using hand calls and he called in a Doe he dug that and then our hunt this morning.

06-26-2012, 10:29 AM
good neck hole but why would you want your dog biting a coyote with all the parasites it has?

06-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Cause thats what he's being trained to do. He's a Black Mouth Cur he lives to hunt. I've watched several hunting shows where a dog was trained to be the 1st to a downed coyote and they make sure the coyote stays down.
He got every shot the Vet. recommended for this type of hunting and is current and gets an annual check up.

06-26-2012, 10:37 PM
That's a good looking dog you've got there. Nice job on the coyote!

06-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Great job. Wish my dog could still for me. He always wants to venture out.

06-27-2012, 5:48 AM
Good story and pretty neat you get to share the experience with your son and mans best friend

06-27-2012, 9:38 PM
nice job on the chupa capra