PDA

View Full Version : is this illegal??

kcjr1125
06-26-2012, 6:29 AM
I am interested in purchasing a rifle from someone who just moved to california from tx which is where he bought his rifle. he wants to just do a cash and carry type of deal on a mini 14 rifle. i am almost 100% sure this is not possible but he is insisting to not go through a FFL. since he imported the rifle from TX does that change anything or is it the same as if he would have bought it here? I am new to the arena of Firearms and to california laws as well so please forgive my ignorance. One more thing what happens if i did do this with this seller? what are the consequences and how would the DOJ or whatever know i did this?

Brandon04GT
06-26-2012, 6:35 AM
Illegal. You must conduct the transfer through an FFL. Why is he insisting not to go through an FFL? That is suspicious to say the least. As far as he should be concerned, he would be immediately getting the payment from you anyway, so I don't see any legitimate reason for his concern.

MIAMIbaseballer
06-26-2012, 6:44 AM
Illegal and very suspicious

kcjr1125
06-26-2012, 7:08 AM
this is his email "Wow I told you in one of my e-mails that I didn't want to deal with paperwork and I just wanted to sell it outright you give cash I give gun"

my response:
I know you said that and if we were in TX that would work, reality is we are in california and in california we can not do that LEGALLY. if im wrong then ill take it but when it comes to private party transfers in CAlifornia we have to take it to a licensed dealer and have them do what they do then i will have to wait 10 days to own it.

GillaFunk
06-26-2012, 7:11 AM
BURN HIM!

peter95
06-26-2012, 7:12 AM
Illegal.
If you have to ask, its illegal.
Avoid him. He wants to do this cash and carry because he's probably got something to hide.

Avoid him at all costs.

Fate
06-26-2012, 7:21 AM
As a former Texan, I understand where he's coming from. Just reassure him that he did nothing wrong bringing the mini 14 into the state (unless he brought in large capacity mags as well). It didn't need to be registered or anything when he moved. Then offer to buy him lunch or something to get him to go to the FFL with you. If he still won't budge, move on. It might be that he just does not want the hassle (free-state thinking dies hard) or worse, it might be stolen.

taperxz
06-26-2012, 7:21 AM
Illegal and very suspicious

Illegal in CA yes.

Suspicious???? Not at all! The seller is from Texas where PTP long guns are sold every day without an FFL.. If anything he probably thinks going through an FFL is suspicious.

kcjr1125
06-26-2012, 7:27 AM
yeah i think so too. it could be ignorance on his part or something shady im not sure.

kcjr1125
06-26-2012, 7:29 AM
Illegal in CA yes.

Suspicious???? Not at all! The seller is from Texas where PTP long guns are sold every day without an FFL.. If anything he probably thinks going through an FFL is suspicious.

LOL i am from texas as well and new to Cali thats why i wasnt sure. i told him to post the ad here in calguns to sell it quicker.

ZirconJohn
06-26-2012, 7:33 AM
Illegal in CA yes.

This :rolleyes: is the irony of it all :laugh:

emptybottle151
06-26-2012, 8:28 AM
As a former Texan, I understand where he's coming from. Just reassure him that he did nothing wrong bringing the mini 14 into the state (unless he brought in large capacity mags as well). It didn't need to be registered or anything when he moved. Then offer to buy him lunch or something to get him to go to the FFL with you. If he still won't budge, move on. It might be that he just does not want the hassle (free-state thinking dies hard) or worse, it might be stolen.

^ This

MIAMIbaseballer
06-26-2012, 8:33 AM
Illegal in CA yes.

I live in Miami.... I know how it works in both states. It's still suspicious and he needs to learn the laws of his new state. If he thinks it's "suspicious" to do an FFL transfer, he shouldn't have moved to Cali because he doesn't have a choice unless he likes jails.

paul0660
06-26-2012, 8:43 AM
If you have to ask, its illegal.

Not true. There are many transactions in California which can be done without a FFL.

kcjr1125
06-26-2012, 9:31 AM
well i knew that i could buy older rifles without ffl but a newer mini 14? i didnt think it was possible and wanted to be safe.

bbsmth
06-26-2012, 9:48 AM

This is my bet on what's up.

milotrain
06-26-2012, 9:50 AM
well i knew that i could buy older rifles without ffl but a newer mini 14? i didnt think it was possible and wanted to be safe.

That's not really true in every case. You must insure that it is.

Librarian
06-26-2012, 10:47 AM
'older' in this context is '50 years old or older', and that exemption from using a CA FFL goes away Jan 1, 2014.

See also the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California

Asked and answered; closed.