PDA

View Full Version : Ar for a lefty

Tumbleweed13
06-26-2012, 2:12 AM
I'm researching, to build an AR. I'm completely new to this. My question is:
Is there a special lower that I must get, to work with a left hand upper? Is getting an ambi safty, all I need for the lower?

Nodda Duma
06-26-2012, 3:11 AM
I run a stag arms left hand a2 config that I built up while I was still in CA. The lower is the same, left or right. The left-handedness is all in the upper.

-Jason

strongpoint
06-26-2012, 3:51 AM
there's some discussion about setting up ambi uppers and lowers in an older thread here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=570631).

Curley Red
06-26-2012, 8:52 AM
Only the upper receiver, bcg, and the barrel adapter need to be ambi. I used Stag for mine.

Omega13device
06-26-2012, 9:05 AM
This comes up once a week or so.

Your focus should be on the lower as that's where you're actually manipulating things. Just get an ambi safety selector and you're good to go. If you run featureless you can have an ambi mag release too. If you're using a bullet button you can't go ambi but the standard mag release location is pretty easy to manipulate with your support hand anyway.

A left-handed upper provides zero benefit to lefties. The fact that it ejects on the left is worthless since standard uppers have a brass deflector anyway, and this comes at the cost of non-standard parts, limited suppliers, and a limited market if you want to sell.

Ken Woodford
06-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Your focus should be on the lower as that's where you're actually manipulating things. Just get an ambi safety selector and you're good to go. If you run featureless you can have an ambi mag release too. If you're using a bullet button you can't go ambi but the standard mag release location is pretty easy to manipulate with your support hand anyway.

A left-handed upper provides zero benefit to lefties. The fact that it ejects on the left is worthless since standard uppers have a brass deflector anyway, and this comes at the cost of non-standard parts, limited suppliers, and a limited market if you want to sell.

I have to agree with you.

I am a righty but I shoot a rifle left handed and have my whole life. My AR is a right side eject. No problems like I had in the military in the 70's. I had to use that plastic deflector that caused jams so I left it off and took any and all hot gasses to my face. (But I still look great).

I think it's easier for me to manipulate the bullet button & mag changes with my right hand and the safety is easy to switch with my left thumb.

Ken

PolishMike
06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Get a normal upper.
Parts availability, reliability and interchangeability are a big issue with left handed uppers

Curley Red
06-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Get a normal upper.
Parts availability, reliability and interchangeability are a big issue with left handed uppers

No problems finding parts for my ambi upper.

As for reliability, I have not had a single issue, why you think there would be a loss of reliability I do not know.

As for interchangeability, what would you want to interchange? The only thing that needs to be specific id the BCG. you can add a ambi extension to any barrel.

If you do not like ambi uppers, just say it.

Ziggy91
06-26-2012, 12:09 PM
If you're getting a standard RH upper, the only thing I recommend is getting one with a shell deflector. My DPMS high-rider has absolutely nothing on the side, and my shells practically graze my right ear when I shoot it off the bench. A lefty would get brass in their right eye.

corcoraj2002
06-26-2012, 1:22 PM
I got a left handed upper for mine as it was almost the same price as the RH one and it makes it more "mine" then everyone elses. Also I shoot a bolt action RH and wanted to see what the difference is, if you are going to be dumping a lot of rounds down range, I like to have the casing hitting the right handed people sitting besides me at the range (joking) LH shooters will know what this is like.

Omega13device
06-26-2012, 5:31 PM
No problems finding parts for my ambi upper.

As for reliability, I have not had a single issue, why you think there would be a loss of reliability I do not know.

Pat Rogers has had a number of them in his classes and none made it through the first day of training.

As for interchangeability, what would you want to interchange? The only thing that needs to be specific id the BCG. you can add a ambi extension to any barrel.

AR barrels are generally sold with the extension already installed. If you want to change barrels down the road there will be additional cost and time involved in having a smith replace the extension. Impossible? No. But it's a pain on the butt, and you're not getting real benefit in return for your trouble.

stix213
06-26-2012, 5:36 PM
You might consider getting an RRA lefty. Supposedly they reverse absolutely everything, not just doing the basic minimum to work well left handed. Includes a left handed lower, with completely reversed controls. Even the rifling down the barrel is in the reverse direction, that is how much attention to detail.

I've never used one (I'm right handed) but the reviews I've seen on youtube look pretty good.

Peter.Steele
06-26-2012, 5:56 PM

I have to agree with you.

I am a righty but I shoot a rifle left handed and have my whole life. My AR is a right side eject. No problems like I had in the military in the 70's. I had to use that plastic deflector that caused jams so I left it off and took any and all hot gasses to my face. (But I still look great).

I think it's easier for me to manipulate the bullet button & mag changes with my right hand and the safety is easy to switch with my left thumb.

Ken

Left-handed AR's are the answer to a question that didn't need to be asked.

I'm left handed, I shoot a normal AR. I've got the brass deflector on mine, but it's not that big of a deal - my first upper was an M16A1 USGI takeoff, and it had no brass deflector. Never had a problem with hot gasses or brass going where it shouldn't.

Don't waste your money on the lefty setup. Just get the normal one. It'll be worth it later on, for resale value if for no other reason.

glock7
06-26-2012, 6:22 PM
If you wanna spend some of your hard $ there's this option
http://www.lefthandrifles.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=6

glock7
06-26-2012, 6:47 PM
As a lefty I don't see the need for a lefty upper. To each his own though. That being said an ambi lower does make a big difference while manipulating the rifle.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-26-2012, 7:16 PM
Another lefty here, I agree that left-handed uppers are the answer to a question that didn't need to be asked. As long as you have a case deflector on your upper and an ambi selector, you won't have any problems operating an AR. When it breaks (every machine breaks sooner or later), standard parts are generally easier to find.

ptgarcia
06-26-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm a lefty and use a standard setup, but an ambidextrous selector and charging handle are on my wish list.

B!ngo
06-26-2012, 11:56 PM
I don't agree with the anti-lefty crowd. Though I have to respect left-handers who say they are worthless (the gun, not, well, never mind), a lot of righties say it as well. What do they know?
And yes, in general the brass deflector will keep shells off your face and head, but they are still flying in your line of sight, and any blast that comes with a malfunction will be across your face as well.
I make sure that all of the guns I buy are either ambi- or left-handed. I lived a long time with this 'disability' so that when I have a choice to buy something that is optimized for me, I do it.
I run a Stag 3GL. Very nice. Also have a V2 USP, and a few ambi P7's and have a Tikka left-hander on order.
B

Tumbleweed13
06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Looks like I've stumbled onto a hot button topic for some. I appreciate all the info from you lefties. I kind of agree with B!ngo on righties input. How can they REALLY know? Kinda like Dr. Phil (I hate that guy) writing a diet book.

I guess I'll have to do some more research, on reliability, availability, and cost. I am an AR noob, but I do plan on building mine from a stripped lower. Is a deflector, something that is built into the upper, or is it something thats added, or clipped onto the outside of the upper. Thanks for all the great feedback. Even you righties. :D