PDA

View Full Version : Rem 870P Max ~ Sling Recomendation for Training Class (Frontsight)?

insin
06-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Hello all,
I am going for a 4 day Tactical Shotgun training class coming up and they require a sling. It's with Front Sight in Nevada. I'm a diamond member. I have a Remington 870P max. Its required, but I do not have a sling for it yet. I am only familiar with AR slings. I own a Vickers Padded VCAS, and like it for both quality and functionality reasons. I do not know if shotguns use similar types of slings, or if their slings are different for some reason. I would like to buy similar quality sling for tactical situations since that's what I will be using it for during the class. What do you run? What do you suggest?

Also... Should I finally mount the TacStar Side Saddle shell carrier that I have laying around onto the 870? I guess it wouldn't hurt just to finally do it since I have it already. Do they train students on their use when they have them on their shotguns? The pictures of the recomended gear shows a shell holder on the belt. I think that I would rather go with the gun mounted shell carrier. What do you think?

Any other shotgun course related gear I should look into for the class? I already have knee and elbow pads just in case from a rifle course. Need them for the class?

Anything else? I've attended classes there before so I know about the heat and water thing.

Thanks

smittty
06-25-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't know the sling but I side saddle might be a good ideal.

I mounted a 5-shell holder on my butt stock and I'm not crazy about it. It holds the shells securely loading from it isn't fast.

Another other option is a 4 round carrier on your belt.

Sounds like a fun course!

NYCShooter
06-26-2012, 12:22 AM
I have a VCAS sling on an 870 and I think it's the best 2-point sling I have ever used (btw, I would never use a 3-point sling on a pump gun).

prc77
06-26-2012, 5:13 AM
single point convertible to 2 point is what I would bring, Velcro side saddle. and 2 or 3, extra 5 round velcro backed cards. http://originalsoegear.com/shotguncard.html
gloves, fingerless for your weakhand. Low recoil slugs and buck.

Bert Gamble
06-26-2012, 5:41 AM
Honestly, all you really need is a piece of twine tied to each end. The sling is only used to carry the weapon on your shoulder from the racks to the firing line and back.

While shooting in the Tactical Shotgun course, you will have the sling hanging useless.

If you have shells mounted to a sling, they will be pretty hard to get out one handed because there will be no tensiion on the sling. Put your shells in a butt cuff, side saddle or belt holder.

Bert Gamble
06-26-2012, 5:47 AM
You can use the knee and elbow pads if you want. After the first day, no one in my class used them.

If you decide to kneel or go prone for your long slug shots, you will certainly get docked for time.

We all found it better just to shoot from the standing position to not waste the 1-2 seconds it take to go prone.

Again, please know that your sling will not be used for any tactical scenarios in your class. If you get Distinguished Graduate and go on to the advanced class, it might be different. I still have to DG the handgun class so I can go to the advanced shotgun class.

Should have gone before they changed the rules.

The Law
06-26-2012, 12:10 PM
You should contact the instructors of your class to ask them specifics as they will be the ones teaching you.

MossbergMan
06-26-2012, 5:40 PM
Bert's RIGHT on the money.
Make a sling. 6 to 7' of 1" or 1.25" nylon webbing and 2 double "D" rings of the same width. QD sling swivles.

offdutyalot
06-26-2012, 6:10 PM
For FS, any 2 point sling will work. Like mentioned above, a 3 point sling on a pumper is a recipe for entanglement. I have a cheap Allen loop sling on my 870.

I'm not a fan of single point slings on tactical shotguns because they are too heavy to sling from the stock,,,,,IMHO.....Some guys do it, not for me.

The saddle shell holder is a good idea. It's really where you prefer to retrieve the shotshells from. Where ever you have your shells during training should be where you have them on your tac/SD/HD shotgun for muscle memory so you're not fumbling in an instance you have to use your training to save your life.

Be safe and have fun at FS.....stay hydrated.

mase1b
06-26-2012, 10:02 PM
I've only taken a 2-day FS Shotgun course, but as Bert said slings are only for to and from the firing line or to your vehicle...so I would go with whatever is easiest/cheapest.

For what it's worth, Front sight actually doesn't recommend using a sling for defensive use...too much chance of getting tangled or it being used to take away your weapon.

side saddles and butt cuffs are fine, but they won't give you any advantage in that course. Those belt holders are cool too, but I got by just fine using the pockets in my BDU pants.

One last thing: Use a recoil absorbing stock, wear a good shoulder pad, or for pete's sake listen when they tell you to mount the stock in the pocket! Otherwise you will be a hurtin' unit after just a few rounds.

hermosabeach
06-26-2012, 10:53 PM
For front sight- any two point sling will work
They have many at the pro shop, but sometimes they run out.
You can call them and see what the pro shop reccomends. If the price is ok, then buy it and have them hold it for you

On the hydration issue, if you are not hitting the porta john on a regular basis, then you need to increase your fluid intake

A friend's brother missed two days from heat stroke..... He is from Michigan and the April heat got him.... I think it was the $1 pints the night before that started the end

Dont sweat getting too much gear ahead of time. A simple shotshell pouch that skeet / trap shooters use is fine if you do not like shells in pockets of cargo pants

Post class, you will have an idea of what you want to get based on how you will run your rig. If you shotgun has a steel receiver, then the sidesaddle is good. If it is aluminum then the side saddle can stretch the holes to an egg shape and the pins will fall out

MossbergMan
06-27-2012, 6:16 AM
For front sight- any two point sling will work
They have many at the pro shop, but sometimes they run out.
You can call them and see what the pro shop reccomends. If the price is ok, then buy it and have them hold it for you

On the hydration issue, if you are not hitting the porta john on a regular basis, then you need to increase your fluid intake

A friend's brother missed two days from heat stroke..... He is from Michigan and the April heat got him.... I think it was the $1 pints the night before that started the end

Dont sweat getting too much gear ahead of time. A simple shotshell pouch that skeet / trap shooters use is fine if you do not like shells in pockets of cargo pants

Post class, you will have an idea of what you want to get based on how you will run your rig. If you shotgun has a steel receiver, then the sidesaddle is good. If it is aluminum then the side saddle can stretch the holes to an egg shape and the pins will fall out

Good info here. Having taught this class for 5 years there are a few truisms here.
One, there's a big difference between drinking a lot of fluids and drinking enough to remain hydrated. I've gone through as much as 1.25 gallons a day of water/gatorade when temps crest the century mark. Keep your electrolytes up with a sports drink now and then over the course of the day.

Next, the gear. So many students showed up with all the gee-whiz high speed low drag equipment they could carry....for awhile. Simple is best.
Sling, two point carry strap. Ammo carriers: Cargo pants pockets, side saddle and/or a Maxpedtion Rolly Pollie pouch. Safariland makes an excellent 2 shell belt holder. Perfect for Select Slug drills, but then again the side saddle works too. A bead sight will do just fine.
Learn to shoot and manipulate the weapon system first, then think about equipment. It will reduce the size of your "Junk Box". All the so called latest and greatest things we have acquired over the years.

Enjoy the class and give us some feedback afterwards.

hossb7
06-27-2012, 6:27 AM
Vickers all the way.