PDA

View Full Version : CA Legal M1A Builds

DetailRecruiter13M
06-25-2012, 8:41 PM
Lets say I have decided on the M1A as my semi-auto platform of choice. Now I wish to determine the CA legality of various builds.
Standard stock is legal with any legal magazine?
EBR chassis is legal or illegal? Under what conditions?
I am active duty military, and would be purchasing the rifle out of state before coming to CA, but would be purchasing it to use in CA. Or would I be better off trying to buy an M1A that has already been registered in state as an "assault weapon"?

cfusionpm
06-25-2012, 8:45 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe all non-CA models come with a factory flash hider instead of muzzle brake, which would trigger AW status regardless of stock or other configuration.

What it comes down to are "evil features" and magazine locks (in addition to magazine capacity). Be sure to check this thoroughly: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Short answer: I would buy a CA compliant version ahead of time (with the muzzle brake) and worry about features and stocks from there. EBR would be an AW because of the pistol grip and telescoping stock. Would require a magazine lock/bullet button and limited to 10 round mags ONLY.

A great (but expensive, and long-wait) option is the JAE stock. Meets all CA compliance for featureless, meaning you have the ability to use normal detachable mags. http://www.jallenenterprises.com/

DetailRecruiter13M
06-25-2012, 9:07 PM
So either a full featured featured rifle with magazine lock and limited to 10rnds or standard/JAE stocked, muzzle braked rifle with detachable mags. Any idea on how costly and how reversible are M1A mag locks?

Librarian
06-25-2012, 9:48 PM
So either a full featured featured rifle with magazine lock and limited to 10rnds or standard/JAE stocked, muzzle braked rifle with detachable mags. Any idea on how costly and how reversible are M1A mag locks?

The 10-round limitation applies to any configuration, unless you had the 10+ round magazines inside CA before 2000.

See the Magazine Qs link, below.

Rukus
06-26-2012, 9:22 AM
The mag locks I have seen involve separate trigger groups with magazine release cut down. I don't know if there is a "bullet button" type attachment for the m1a.

06-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Any idea on how costly and how reversible are M1A mag locks?

Cost - ~$30
Reversibility - http://www.ocarmory.com/contact.

Dakine_surf
06-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I am active duty military, and would be purchasing the rifle out of state before coming to CA, but would be purchasing it to use in CA. Or would I be better off trying to buy an M1A that has already been registered in state as an "assault weapon"?

Sorry to burst you bubble, but there is no way to buy a registered "assult weapon" in the state of ca. Once it is registered here in ca, assuming it was purchased prior to the ban, it cannot be transferred, loaned, or given to anyone... Weak sauce, I know, but just the way it goes... Like for instance if my wife were to own a registered "assult weapon" I could not take said rifle to the range without her, nor could I use her 30 rounders in my featureless.

sholling
06-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Lets say I have decided on the M1A as my semi-auto platform of choice. Now I wish to determine the CA legality of various builds.
Standard stock is legal with any legal magazine?
EBR chassis is legal or illegal? Under what conditions?
As others have said the CA versions have a compensator instead of a flash hider and a 10rd magazine. No pistol grip or thumbhole stocks are allowed on centerfire rifles and as long as you comply with those simple (but silly) rules you should be okay. There is a flow chart on the site that should help.

SA makes CA versions of several of their models including the "Squad Scout", "Standard" and "Loaded" and if memory serves there may even be CA legal Match versions. Other than the magazine capacity and a brake instead of a flash hider they are identical to the free state versions.

thai562
06-26-2012, 1:06 PM
If you get the Pistol grip EBR , you have to use a 10rd mag, and hack off the Magazine release lever, easy to reverse, just replace the mag release lever, a $15 job. If you cut of the mag release you can you can have a muzzle brake or flash suppressor, it does not matter.
The standard stock, you just need to make sure you have a CA muzzle brake and not a flash suppressor.
I am pretty sure other have more to add.