PDA

View Full Version : Three trees = four salmon

JagerDog
06-25-2012, 6:16 PM
Met up with Afroz and Derby at 5:30. Loaded up and headed out towards the Hole. Found the fleet, scouted around and found no sign. Put the gear in anyways and gave it a shot. Lotta boats, and never saw a net fly. A few radio fish.

Heard a guy or 2 up by three trees was on a few fish and made the move. Enroute, got more intel that there were whales up above that a bit. So we motored up to the 08. Hey! Birds!!! Oh look...WHALES!! Drop 'em boys. The water even had a little color and it was Lake Pacific. Krill balls scattered around.

Maybe 1/2 hour and my rod goes off. Good fighting fish. Buncha short little runs, but he succumbed and Derby scooped him up. 12# in da box. Maybe 1 hour later, I'm up again. This one sounds straight down. Pretty rare for salmon, but it happens. But his tricks were no good and Derby netted that one too. Another 12# or so just like the other.

Afroz and Derby both have a chance, but farmed them with long distance releases, mostly due to all the kelp/grass/jelly collected up. Finally Derby gets on the board with a hard fighting 19#.

Ok..we have a layer. Cool! Better than most, less than some. Well...we stuck it out amongst some small sheep and fially Afroz's rod goes off. He plays it well and about a 10#'er gets scooped by Derby. Tried for more making several circuits through our marks before trolling towards home. Pulled lines at about 1:45, motored in and made fuel.

Wind was up in the p.m. but it was fishable. A bit tough trolling uphill at the end. Numbers were 53/07-08. 25-40' OTW with 3 on WMA behind UV sling blade and one on a pink hoochie with skateboard. Bait got bit once. First couple fish had krill, second two had pinner chovies.

kgcabs
06-25-2012, 9:46 PM
Sweet!

How did the Vet smell the next day?

Thanks for sharing.

JagerDog
06-26-2012, 8:19 PM
Ha...just some loose scales which flaked off my rolled up fishing pants when I was searching for my cell phone. The fish were already fileted and bagged in the ice chest before they saw the Vette.

I did stink up the Cherokee a month or so ago. Found out the hard way that the plug on a different ice chest wasn't very effective.

JagerDog
06-26-2012, 8:20 PM
Ha...just some loose scales which flaked off my rolled up fishing pants when I was searching for my cell phone. The fish were already fileted and bagged in the ice chest before they saw the Vette.

I did stink up the Cherokee a month or so ago. Found out the hard way that the plug on a different ice chest wasn't very effective.

Wideflange
06-27-2012, 8:42 AM
Epic post. Nice work on the sammys