PDA

View Full Version : School me on Double Barrel Shotguns!

RMP91
06-24-2012, 3:09 PM
What's the most renowned maker of double barrels?

Have they ever been used prominently in any war or conflict by any side or a neutral party?

Which ones are most sought after as collector's items?

runway1
06-24-2012, 4:34 PM
What's the most renowned maker of double barrels??
Maybe Purdy, maybe Holland & Holland, maybe Parker. Lots, really. You can find old Winchester Model 21s for $50k! You can find each in world class, exquisite $20k/$50k/$100k examples.

Have they ever been used prominently in any war or conflict by any side or a neutral party?

"Prominently"....shotguns?....No. Incidentaly, I would imagine so.

Maybe Purdy, maybe Holland & Holland, maybe Parker. You can find each in world class, exquisite 20k/50k/100k examples.

RMP91
06-24-2012, 5:11 PM
I was thinkin' of getting into Coach guns, but don't have as big a budget for it as I would, for, say C&Rs.

Perhaps I can find an old WWI or II vintage Baikal somewhere?

IntoForever
06-24-2012, 5:33 PM
I've seen the cheap ones at Big 5 and after noticing they all rattle when held, I'll pass on those.

Oneaudiopro
06-24-2012, 5:36 PM
"Coach" guns are usually SXS varieties with exposed hammers. They can be bought for very reasonable prices.

Javi
06-24-2012, 8:34 PM
Look at Stoeger's line of coach guns. I might get one for some cowboy plinking. I really like the Condor outback, now THAT looks like a fun gun:

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger-condor-outback.php

jpscoot_21
06-24-2012, 9:44 PM
As a collector of shotguns, I can't remember seeing any military marked, but there are some such as Stevens 311 riot model that were made for police use. There were some that were used by banks and railroads for duty also. There are some fake Wells Fargo-marked ones floating around.

Bigyates
06-24-2012, 10:22 PM
No one can school you on sxs shotguns in a single post or even in a large # of posts. Sidelock, boxlock, action types, English finest made in the handfuls or American boxlocks made in the 10s of thousands for the masses, there is a lot to learn.
Boss, Purdey and Holland & Holland certainly are highly collectable English guns as are Fox, Parker and Ithaca for collectors of American boxlocks but they are not the only makers.
If you really have an interest you might want to read:
Best Guns by McIntosh
British Sporting Guns and Rifles by Donald Dallas
Hey Day of the Shotgun by Baker
Paradox by Lake
to name a few.

During WWI Holland did make and sell some sxs shotguns to the Admiralty to be used in air to air combat. Initially firing several balls chained together made to rip the fabric of opposing aircraft or blimps. Once a rip was started the slipstream would rip away large sections of fabric. There was also an incendiary round developed for these guns called Aeroguns.

RMP91
07-02-2012, 1:51 PM
Are Baikals and Stoegers ok to start with?

I don't care for all the fancy engravings or golden stuff, I care about function.

I don't want to spend any more than $550 for a double barrel right now.

Also, I am concerned about getting "pinched" or "bitten" by the hinge pivot, I know not to keep my fingers there at any time, but it's still a concern.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-02-2012, 3:25 PM
lol. You guys left out all of the Italian gun makers. Many of those sell for as much as or more than the English guns. And as the others have stated, they really haven't been used by militaries since the American Civil War. And then, it was mostly with irregular cavalry. I have picked up old Stevens SxSs for $120-ish on GB. Old SxS shotguns are pretty inexpensive.

-Mb

Specific Pacific
07-03-2012, 9:49 AM
What's the most renowned maker of double barrels?

Holland & Holland all the way; they retail from 20-150K

Winchester Model 97 trench gun was used in WWI/II and brought to the Geneva Convention by the Germans because they wanted it banned for use in warfare. Remington model 11 and other Browning variants were used to train gunner crews on bombers... the list goes on and on... and they are always collectible by someone.

Thefeeder
07-03-2012, 9:56 AM
Purdey....Francotte....Merkel ....Perugini....to name a few more

gun toting monkeyboy
07-05-2012, 1:09 PM
Holland & Holland all the way; they retail from 20-150K

Winchester Model 97 trench gun was used in WWI/II and brought to the Hague Convention by the Germans because they wanted it banned for use in warfare. Remington model 11 and other Browning variants were used to train gunner crews on bombers... the list goes on and on... and they are always collectible by someone.

Fixed it for you. ;)

Newshooter
07-05-2012, 5:04 PM
You can have a Purdey 20/28 gauge combo set for a mere $250,000.

It does come with a leather case and brass snap caps. Saw it in Bass Pro in Vegas.

redcliff
07-05-2012, 7:39 PM
Are Baikals and Stoegers ok to start with?

I don't care for all the fancy engravings or golden stuff, I care about function.

I don't want to spend any more than $550 for a double barrel right now.

Also, I am concerned about getting "pinched" or "bitten" by the hinge pivot, I know not to keep my fingers there at any time, but it's still a concern.

I like the little Stoeger coach guns; they were the trainer's for my sons, starting in .410, then 20ga then 12ga as they grew up. My LGS sells quite a few of them and says they have very few problems with them. I've not shot a Baikal.

Wicked Pete
07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
I love them. The last one I had was a 20 gauge, wished I hadn't traded it away. I know this is Ca, in a dream...perfect defense weapon when shortened.

finyllw
07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Been shooting a Stoeger once a month for Cowboy matches. Run about 30 to 50 shells through each time. Had mine for about 6 years now with NO problems. I think I paid $350 for my plain jane one. I haven't found the "pinch spot" and believe me if there is one I would have found it.

I did have to spend a lot of time working on the action to get it to work as fast as I need it for cowboy shooting. There was nothing "wrong" with it, I just needed it to open faster, with less pressure on the release lever, and smoother trigger pull. They are pretty rough inside. Well worth the money though.

Capybara
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Big 5 also carries a Norinco SxS? How come we can get Norinco shotguns here but not a Norinco Uzi or AK clone?

advocatusdiaboli
07-06-2012, 5:16 PM
There are fine Spanish and Italian guns that go for over $250,000 as well. Beretta made a EEL SO for G.H.W. Bush that was over that price with custom engravings of his dogs—but they gave it as a gift. Once you get past $5k-$10k it's all the jewelry that makes the difference (or customization or rarity), the actions are the same beyond that level as far as far as I have found.

Bigyates
07-07-2012, 3:03 AM
Once you get past $5k-$10k it's all the jewelry that makes the difference (or customization or rarity), the actions are the same beyond that level as far as far as I have found.

You need to do more research.

JB-Norcal
07-07-2012, 4:48 PM
A friend showed me a pic of "Granny's shotgun" a SxS with a bird's neck stock and and the barrel was sawed at an 45 degree angle, what would that do to the spread? I assume not much and that it was more of an impact tool possibly.

dangerranger
07-07-2012, 5:50 PM
If you are looking at SxS shotguns that are aged be sure they are made in the smokeless age. There are a lot of them out there that are suitable for BP only. 12 years ago I paid $260 for a Bakial shotgun. Its been a great gun both in the field and as a CAS gun. In 12 years Ive fired cases of ammo through it without any problems. But its not a Merkle, Purdy, or H&H. It will never be collectable. think of it more like the Ivor Johnsons, Cresants,and even Remington shotguns. they are work horses. DR

2barrels
07-07-2012, 8:16 PM
i have some reading to do i never heard of most of these guns

Safety1st
07-08-2012, 1:05 AM
The CZ Hammer Coach is supposed to be very nice as well. Exposed hammers is the way to go on a coach gun IMO.

DirtyDave
07-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Stoeger Coach Guns are cool for a short SxS. The Stoeger Uplanders are full length (26-28") SxS.
Mossberg has a line of budget SxS's called the Silver Reserve and Onyx Reserve. I just picked up an Onyx 20ga SxS.
Keep an eye on the auction sites, you can find SxS's for under $300 at times