PDA

View Full Version : ,,,,,

Foriegn power
06-24-2012, 2:29 PM
Hhhhh

jimmykan
06-24-2012, 2:34 PM
Marlin is not the only maker of lever action rifles in 38/357 caliber. Rossi is a Brazilian manufacturer, and they make Winchester 1892 clones.

If you want something with a 16" barrel, this is your huckleberry:

http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/R92-56006.jpg
M92 Carbine .38/357 Blue 8+1 16" Rnd Bb Lrg Loop (http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=174&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=)

Or this..

http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/R92-55018.jpg
M92 Carbine .38/357 Stainless 8+1 16" Round Bbl (http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=180&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=)

zfields
06-24-2012, 3:47 PM
Do the Rossi's have the same stupid safety on the top as their 30-30 models?

Mossy Man
06-24-2012, 3:53 PM
dad has a Henry Big Boy in .357

very mild recoil, especially when shooting .38s

relatively accurate, the feed tube is a pain though, has a rod you have to pull out and single-feed from the front

http://www.chuckhawks.com/henry_big_boy2.jpg

tonelar
06-24-2012, 3:57 PM
I've two Marlns and a Uberti. The Marlins are really smooth.
My Rossi is a .44 but if their .357 is as good; add them to the list of potential mfgs.

Twystd1
06-24-2012, 4:03 PM
I have a Rossi and a Marlin.

I like them both. They will shoot anything that will fit in the chamber.

Surprisingly accurate.

My Marlin has no top safety.

Twystd1

loosewreck
06-24-2012, 4:04 PM
I have an 18" Marlin 1894c built in the early 80s, its really smooth.

I'd love to someday pick up a 16" Winchester Trapper in .357.

I bought the Marlin here in the Marketplace, it was at a great price and I was lucky. I've also seen a couple of nice Winchester .357 Trappers here. However its not often and you pretty much have to move quick if you want it.

smittty
06-24-2012, 5:02 PM
I had a several over the years but no longer.

I would be very surprised if any of you guys who have a level in 357mag/38sp can reliably feed and eject both 357 mag and 38sp. Out of several guns I had one that could but only after a fair amount of tuning. Marlin, winchester, rossi, all prefered one length cartridge but not both. Frankly anytime I read someone claiming theirs feeds both reliably I think they haven't shot their gun very much enough to know or they're simply full of BS!

If you reload you can adjust the length of the cartridge to suit the gun.

Of the current lever guns I found the Rossi 92 to be very robust and with some minor tuning they can be great guns. If budget isn't an issue the current Winchester 92's are very very beautiful but they are not cheap.

loosewreck
06-24-2012, 6:10 PM
I would be very surprised if any of you guys who have a level in 357mag/38sp can reliably feed and eject both 357 mag and 38sp. Out of several guns I had one that could but only after a fair amount of tuning. Marlin, winchester, rossi, all prefered one length cartridge but not both. Frankly anytime I read someone claiming theirs feeds both reliably I think they haven't shot their gun very much enough to know or they're simply full of BS!

This is a good point.

I only fire .357 through my 1894c to avoid the "Marlin Jam". I have tried running .38spl A-Zoom snap caps and they've always jammed within a few a few rounds being cycled.

I have no experience with newer Marlin 1894s in .357 so I can't say if they've fixed this problem or not.

Lagduf
06-24-2012, 7:10 PM
I see the Rossi guns have a very good MSRP at just under $600 - what can I expect to pay for one in a CA gun store?

I'm very tempted at this price. I have a Single Action Army clone in .357 and I'm picking up a Ruger GP100 (.357) on Tuesday.

Just need a lever gun in the same caliber to round out my collection...

...until I feel the need for a semi-auto in .357 and get a Coonan or Desert Eagle :D

Foriegn power
06-24-2012, 7:16 PM
Dam thanks for the link and info fellas.

kmo43
06-24-2012, 7:33 PM
try stevesgunz.com I ordered a rossi 92 in 357 off him. He does some great warrantied work on any lever action, you can read about on his site. He also gets rid of the ugly safety and offers many upgrades, etc... good luck!

zfields
06-24-2012, 7:45 PM
This is a good point.

I only fire .357 through my 1894c to avoid the "Marlin Jam". I have tried running .38spl A-Zoom snap caps and they've always jammed within a few a few rounds being cycled.

I have no experience with newer Marlin 1894s in .357 so I can't say if they've fixed this problem or not.

With the big downward spiral Marlin hit once Remington bought them, I really doubt it.

Rhatical
06-24-2012, 8:32 PM
Had a newer Marlin 1894css. Wouldn't cycle .357 reliably even after an action job, but was fine with .38. Overall fit and finish was rough, loaded with sharp edges everywhere. Screws rattled out every trip to the range, and lost confidence in it given poor reliability. Would look at another manufacturer as they seem to continue having QC issues with the newer model 1894 since they were acquired. I wish Browning made one, would be all over it!

Harrison_Bergeron
06-24-2012, 8:36 PM
Anyone know of a shop in Orange County that stocks the Rossi?

That is likely going to be my next gun and I'd like to fondle one to move the decision process along.

tennisman
06-24-2012, 8:44 PM
I have a 1894 c boought it 4 years ago at turners feeds 38 and 357 perfectly never a hicup , I only put brass in it love this gun! probably 400 rounds in it

STI
06-24-2012, 9:01 PM
I bought a Marlin 1894c recently and I love it. I was a bit nervous since I had heard about QC issues on newer Marlins and I bought it sight unseen from Turners, but it looks and works great! I have put around 500 rds through it and it cycles .357 Magnum fine, but it does occasionally jam on the .38 specials I've been feeding it. Although I have a feeling that it may just be the bullet shape that is causing the jams, next time I go out I'm going to try some different .38's and see how it does.

yoda888
06-24-2012, 9:20 PM
I picked up a Rossi 16" SS in .357 a month or so ago. Finally had time today to take it out and shoot it.

Shot about 130 rounds of .38 through it today. For the most part, pretty fun to shoot. I need to monkey around with it some more.

I was getting however some weird problems with it. A couple of jams and some "double ejects" when cycling the gun.

I'm going to give Rossi a call tomorrow and see what their take is on this. I was shooting reloads. When it was running good, it's fun to shoot!

barbasol
06-24-2012, 9:30 PM
Good luck finding a lever in 357 in SoCalmright now. They seem to be very popular. Here's mine I got from the marketplace a year ago or so. Marlin 1894c and my second favorite gun

http://img.tapatalk.com/42d6187e-f74f-eedc.jpg

loosewreck
06-24-2012, 9:44 PM
With the big downward spiral Marlin hit once Remington bought them, I really doubt it.

Yeah, its a travesty what that group is doing with those companies. But, that's a whole other thread...

Safety1st
06-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Drider, are you in SoCal, LAish area? I've got a 1894c I'm looking to sell. PM me if you're interested.

fischerw
06-25-2012, 8:25 AM
I have a Browning B-92 for sale in the Private Firearms section.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=573350 (WTS/WTT - Browning B-92 .38/.357 in NorCal)

I am in the Mother Lode southeast of Sacto. PM me if you are interested.

1 SIG fan
06-25-2012, 8:27 AM
I have the marlin with 18" barrel and plan on having the barrel cut to 16". You will also have to cut the mag tube and possibly modify the mount for the tube as I think it gets cut off... Then have it recoated

G-Solutions
06-25-2012, 11:15 AM
I have an 18" Marlin 1894c built in the early 80s, its really smooth.

I bought the Marlin here in the Marketplace, it was at a great price and I was lucky. I've also seen a couple of nice Winchester .357 Trappers here. However its not often and you pretty much have to move quick if you want it.

Problem with the Winchester 94 is that it was originally built for .30-30 and that they can have problems to feed .357 properly. What can happen is that the mag tube releases the shells too early and they end up UNDER the loading lever, which means that one has to break out the screwdriver to remove the lever :(.

I just picked up a Marlin 1894c a couple of weeks ago and went through about 50 rounds without problems or hangups during the first range trip.
This one will be upgraded fairly soon with a Burris FastFire III and some taller sights to co-witness. Sling and forearm ammo cuff are already on.

im2ninja4u
06-25-2012, 1:34 PM
If you can find a Marlin that was manufactured before Dec 2007, go for it. 6 months ago I was shopping for a Marlin 336c. During my quest to find one I was lucky enough to find a brand new 336C with a serial number dated for January 2007 located in Misery for a fair price and hopped on it in no time. According to my research done online, the most common complaints are just about fit and finish. Granted, the 336C is a ~$500 budget rifle but you'd still expect some sort of pride or craftsmanship into the rifle. I guess that's what happens when you displace hundreds of skilled workers and hire a bunch of unskilled workers in a brand new factory though. Last I heard though, Remlins were getting better at quality control. Definitely try to see one FTF before purchasing.

smle-man
06-25-2012, 5:59 PM

Of the current lever guns I found the Rossi 92 to be very robust and with some minor tuning they can be great guns. If budget isn't an issue the current Winchester 92's are very very beautiful but they are not cheap.

I fired 50 rds of .38 spl 158 gr lead SWC the other day in my Rossi 92 16" carbine from the early 80s and followed up with 30 rds of .357 mag. Both calibers fed, chambered, and ejected just fine. .38 wadcutters are about the only thing it won't feed.

smittty
06-25-2012, 6:12 PM
You're lucky yours feeds both reliably as most do not.

I don't have a lever gun anymore but if I get another one it will be in 45 colt. I'm always tempted to order one and the current Winchester 92's are especially beautiful. Only thing stopping is the $1,300 price tag. About a year ago my friend bought a take-down model 92 and it has the nicest piece of walnut I have ever seen, beautiful!!!

nick
06-25-2012, 6:19 PM

Well, I'm one of those people, I guess. I've shot about 600-700 rounds of both .357 and .38 special (not sure how much of which, but most of it was .357), including .357 and .38 in the same tube load (just for curiosity's sake), and I've only had a few jams in the first 50 rounds or so (with .357). Not sure if it was the rifle, or me learning to shoot lever actions (it was my first lever action). The rifle is a Rossi M92.

And yes, it does have the stupid safety on the top of the receiver.

RAMCHARGER
06-26-2012, 9:40 AM
I have a Marlin .357. The "CP" model. (16" ported barrel). They only made em one or two years... I got it off a fellow CG on the for sale section here. It turns bowlin pins into hollow skins real quick! Super accurate and LOUD! It has that big gun bark with those ports! The loading gate is pretty dang stiff and is a pain in the thumb to reload.

BomarFab
06-26-2012, 10:19 AM
I just ordered a Rossi 92 .357 with a big loop and 16" barrel. Comes in tomorrow, can't wait to see it. They do have the ugly safety on top. I plan to get rid of this as soon as I get it in my hands. I will also very likely pull it apart and fine tune it a bit, since it seems this is a must based on Google searches.

And they seem to go between $499 and $549 here, if anyone even has them.

CarlosSpicyweiner
06-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I have a Winchester 94 and a Rossi 92 in .357 magnum and a Rossi 92 in .44 magnum.

The Winchester is very picky about what can and can't be loaded, a .38special in round nose will work but a .357 magnum in hollowpoint will dump the magazine into the action. I spoke to the guys at the Winchester booth at the shot show and they all acted suprised when I described the situation. Talking to my gunsmith this is a very common problem.

The Rossi 357 will eat anything ammo wise and is extremely reliable, my 12 year old son will shoot that for hours.

I recoil from the Rossi 92 in 44 magnum is huge. I don't mind recoil but I want some distance out of it and the 44 doesn't have it. I almost never shoot that one.

Every once in a while I see the model 94 Winchester in 357 on sale at Big 5 sporting goods at a fairly decent price.

H2O MAN
06-26-2012, 10:53 AM

I had two and kept this one... wish I had kept the other one

http://www.athenswater.com/images/94Trapper.jpg

glockman19
06-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I have a Marlin 1894css... Love it. Excellent fit and finish. Beautiful stock. Smooth action.
Mine shoots both .38 special and .357 mag without any ejection issues. I also have a 1894ss in .44/.44 mag and it is also a joy to shoot.
Marlin, Henry, Winchester, or Rossi they are good rifles.
I like the Rossi Ranch Hand with the large loop. I plan on getting one before rifle registry begins.

deadcoyote
06-26-2012, 12:58 PM
You could also check out the IMI Timberwolf pump gun in .357. They haven't been made for a long time but they turn up for $450 to $600 on websales places all the time.

bruss01
06-26-2012, 1:46 PM
You could also check out the IMI Timberwolf pump gun in .357. They haven't been made for a long time but they turn up for $450 to $600 on websales places all the time.

I've got a Timberwolf. That's a nice little carbine. However your price quotes are a little dated, like 5 years ago. I've priced them recently at $700 and the numbers go up from there.

I also have an EMF octagonal top-eject. I have to say it's one of the most finely crafted guns in my collection, a real work of art. The action's as smooth as glass. Problem is, I'm scared to get a scratch on it. So it sits in the safe. Every six months I take it out, fondle it a bit, and then veeerrrrry carrrreffffullly put it back.

My Marlin 1894 has been shot a lot (44 mag). I tried shooting .44 spc but they get hung up due to the angle. That gun has a few dings and scratches. I really enjoy having it along on camping trips and such... it just "feels right" in the woods.

deadcoyote
06-26-2012, 1:56 PM
I've got a Timberwolf. That's a nice little carbine. However your price quotes are a little dated, like 5 years ago. I've priced them recently at $700 and the numbers go up from there.

I also have an EMF octagonal top-eject. I have to say it's one of the most finely crafted guns in my collection, a real work of art. The action's as smooth as glass. Problem is, I'm scared to get a scratch on it. So it sits in the safe. Every six months I take it out, fondle it a bit, and then veeerrrrry carrrreffffullly put it back.

My Marlin 1894 has been shot a lot (44 mag). I tried shooting .44 spc but they get hung up due to the angle. That gun has a few dings and scratches. I really enjoy having it along on camping trips and such... it just "feels right" in the woods.

One just sold on Gunsamerica a month ago for $450. They're not common, but I'd venture to say if you had the money and we're willing to wait up to 90 days you could get one.

loosewreck
06-26-2012, 2:50 PM
I had two and kept this one... wish I had kept the other one

http://www.athenswater.com/images/94Trapper.jpg

:drool5:

That's what I originally wanted, but the minty 30 year old Marlin came around in the CGN Marketplace for less than a new one so I jumped.

Socalman
06-26-2012, 4:50 PM
Anyone know of a shop in Orange County that stocks the Rossi?

That is likely going to be my next gun and I'd like to fondle one to move the decision process along.

Might try Fowler's Gun Room on Tustin Ave. I think it is actually the city of Orange.

WW2Buff
06-26-2012, 6:51 PM
I have a Browning 92 in .357. I absolutely love it and they can occasionally be found on the bigger online classifieds.