View Full Version : Magpul 7 Rd AR15 Stubby Mag NOT EPOXIED either (was bored)

glock 357
06-24-2012, 2:17 PM
Got a little bored and wanted to do a 10 round pmag and one that I can clean without a perm epoxy to it. Unfortunatly a 7 round was the best I can do. Thought I'd share it a little. Here's a video of it (few pics below) http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z439/glock_357/?action=view&current=100_1615.mp4

06-24-2012, 2:23 PM
You used one of the existing ledges on the magazine as the bottom plate tongue? I was trying to do this on a .308 mag and it just seems like it wont hold for very long. Can you elaborate on your design?

Mossy Man
06-24-2012, 2:27 PM
is it really necessary to epoxy?

i mean, once you take the floor plate off its no longer a magazine anymore legally anyway, it's parts.

in order to make it into a high cap again, you'd have to replace parts and thereby manufacturing a new magazine.

06-24-2012, 2:28 PM
7 rounds?

06-24-2012, 2:30 PM
Dont recall whom, but somebody (on a comercial level) sells cut down true 10rd pmags

06-24-2012, 2:31 PM
Did it start out as a 20 or 30 round mag? I've converted over a few 20's this way and they end up holding 10 rounds.

glock 357
06-24-2012, 2:33 PM
Heat up the bottom plate carfully with a blow torch and lightly squeeze it in a vice. I took in about 2 thousands of an inch on each of the sides.

I also had to widen up the bottom mouth of the mag. Be careful it will melt and bubble fast.

Also file down any lumps so that plate rail can slide in smoothly.

And yes 7 rounds. My rifle shoots dimes at 50yds or less so if I need more I should have been running not fighting I used one of the ledges for the bottom plate. So I opted for 7 just so I can have an un-opoxied mag I can clean after taking it to the range.

Started off as a beat up 30.

glock 357
06-24-2012, 2:36 PM
Dont recall whom, but somebody (on a comercial level) sells cut down true 10rd pmags

Those are pinned/epoxied. My baselate is removable.

Mossy Man
06-24-2012, 2:40 PM
i still don't see the point of doing this (unless you want it flush for prone/bench shooting)

it seems clear to me that the term "permanent" is so vague it was stricken from the language, and also the mere act of taking the floor plate off turns it from a magazine into a pile of parts

this guy sums it up pretty well to me

glock 357
06-24-2012, 3:05 PM
After it's blocked it needs to be perm epoxied. Too risky to use a 20 and say it holds ten.

06-24-2012, 3:18 PM
Lancer makes nice 10's, I have not seen e-tailors offer them but they can be bought direct.

Mossy Man
06-24-2012, 3:22 PM
After it's blocked it needs to be perm epoxied. Too risky to use a 20 and say it holds ten.

what about this? am i looking at the wrong SB23?

978.20(d) - Permanently Altered
As originally noticed to the public, the statutory term “permanently altered” was defined to mean “any irreversible change or alteration.” However, after consideration of public comment received during the initial comment period (December 31, 1999 through February 28, 2000), the Department determined that the proposed definition failed to provide any additional clarity to the statutory term “permanently altered.” Furthermore, the Department found that none of the comments considered provided additional clarity while maintaining the legislative intent. The term “permanently altered” as used in the statute appears to be sufficiently understood without
further definition. As such, the regulations were revised to delete this originally proposed definition and it has not been adopted by the Department.

06-24-2012, 3:31 PM

5&10rd Stubby (http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_69&products_id=378&osCsid=ikgqdm51v9g04tmrig17jopef0)

5/10/15rd Stubby (http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_69&products_id=455&osCsid=ikgqdm51v9g04tmrig17jopef0) I bought one of these just to try out, its pretty good no complaints, looks a little strange if you're used to looking a strait 10/20s, if that matters to you. The double legged follower from the 30rd mag helps boost my confidence in its reliability, but that's purely psychological. I have had a problem with one strait 10/20 PMag though, from what I've read its most likely because of the 20 PMag's follower design.

Woops, sorry, it slipped passed me that the OP's was not pinned or epoxied like MidwestPX's. In that case, pretty cool OP! Sounds like a lot of work though, but hey, if you had fun that's all that matters.

glock 357
06-24-2012, 3:48 PM
Not much at all. 15 minutes w a hacksaw and torch, some filing and it was good to go.

True fact on the 30rd I noticed some stability compared to a shorter legs on the follower. Was hesitant on using one with shorter legs just to get a ninth round in there. There was a little too much compression on that spring. But again if I have to use more than 7 rounds I'm in trouble :)