PDA

View Full Version : Should I spend $1100 on an Arsenal SGL31 (includes fees and taxes)?

UnknownPleasures
06-24-2012, 1:08 PM
The gun is brand new and includes a Solar Tactical bullet button. I think the guy at the store said that they have them shipped to them featureless but with the grip and everything else in the box and they put that bullet button on.

I know it is quite a bit of money but I am looking for something cheap to shoot, fun to shoot, and easy to take care of. I don't feel comfortable enough building an AR style gun or converting a Saiga with my current knowledge.

Anyone know where in Southern California (San Diego) I can go to get one for cheaper?

I am also moving to the Bay Area in 6 weeks so I can also look at stores in San Jose and that area as well if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

Donkeypunch0420
06-24-2012, 1:16 PM
Seems a bit high to me, especially for the 23 model. I'd look for a 21 if you can find one. If your in SD head over to Parallax Tactical. I haven't been there for awhile but it's a great shop, and I'm almost certain they'll have what you're looking for. Alternatively, you could always get a WASR for about half the price. Not as nice around the edges, but will be just as functional. Good luck in your search.

EDIT: Oops, thought you were looking for a 23. Still, you should be able to find a 31 for a little cheaper.

SweetLoutheDuke
06-24-2012, 1:44 PM
I just bought an SGL-21 in the IE for 880 out the door. Even the usually overpriced shop had a couple for 849 before tax...

whoawhoawhoa
06-24-2012, 3:23 PM
^which store? sounds like maybe I have to get one!

weber_2
06-24-2012, 6:50 PM
Hell no! Arsenal rifles are a rip off. They buy $300 Saigas, put $200 (if that) of parts and labor in to it and sell it for $1000! Buy a Saiga and do the mods yourself. You will have enough left over to buy Sunday Ticket and ammo.

Revolver Ocelot
06-24-2012, 7:39 PM
Hell no! Arsenal rifles are a rip off. They buy $300 Saigas, put $200 (if that) of parts and labor in to it and sell it for $1000! Buy a Saiga and do the mods yourself. You will have enough left over to buy Sunday Ticket and ammo.

They usually go for between 750-850, if you dont want a side folder which usually go for 200 in and of themselves.

For all you get its not bad, especially since they weld up the holes and eliminate the match stick mark and other importer marks.

I converted my own but i mainly did it for the experience. My next saiga might be a Arsenal in 5.45.

UnknownPleasures
06-24-2012, 9:01 PM

I know that this is what they are, but Saigas are supposed to be high quality.

The cheapest I have seen is 400 dollars for a Saiga recently, and that does not include shipping, fees or taxes.

I know I am paying extra for Arsenal to put a parts kit on a Saiga.

TNP'R
06-24-2012, 9:19 PM
I know that this is what they are, but Saigas are supposed to be high quality.

The cheapest I have seen is 400 dollars for a Saiga recently, and that does not include shipping, fees or taxes.

I know I am paying extra for Arsenal to put a parts kit on a Saiga.

Then why not buy the parts kit yourself and convert a Saiga or pay someone do do it for you.

UnknownPleasures
06-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Then why not buy the parts kit yourself and convert a Saiga or pay someone do do it for you.

I am fairly new to gun ownership and am not comfortable with building a rifle due to safety issues. I would rather pay extra money for a professional to ensure it was put together correctly. Maybe in the future, but not for my first semi auto.

If something is wrong with the rifle then I have some sort of guarantee, where as if I built one myself or paid a random person to build one then I would not have that guarantee.

Dhena81
06-25-2012, 12:35 AM
OP you won't find any love for Arsenal on this site. Arsenal is GTG but they just recently raised their price convenient if you ask me.

Brick562
06-25-2012, 1:03 AM
Going the saiga route will not necessarily save you cash. One of the major hurdles is the front sight block conversion. Having a shop do it prices you right back up past the arsenal. Add in parts---stock, foregrip, muzzle brake, bullet guide, pistol grip, trigger group, maybe a front sight block. And how much is your time worth? Or the cost of having someone else do it?

I am not saying the saiga is a bad route. Options like the 300 series will already have the front end converted (what I chose). But as my addiction to black rifles grows I become a bigger fan of the "buy once, cry once" concept.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.