PDA

View Full Version : Turner's says no foregrip on a Ruger SR556e?

Fherot
06-24-2012, 7:00 AM
My co-worker and I are heading up to go shooting later this morning.

He's concerned with his new foregrip on his Ruger SR556e because he says he has a copy of a paper Turner's had him sign stating that he would not add a vertical forearm grip to his rifle.

I thought foregrip was good to go with California-button etc? He hasn't changed rifle since purchase except added the grip and some magpul BUIS.

Any light on this is appreciated, thanks.

Brandon04GT
06-24-2012, 7:05 AM
He can add the foregrip...forget about that Turner's paper.

Xtracrispy
06-24-2012, 7:06 AM
if it has a BB he's good to go with a vfg.

Brandon04GT
06-24-2012, 7:10 AM
BTW if it was the yellow "firearms purchase checklist" sheet then it says "...the following alterations may subject me to criminal penalties and may also void the manufacturer's warranty:"

"MAY." In his case, clearly it will not.

Fherot
06-24-2012, 7:26 AM
Thanks

Mossy Man
06-24-2012, 7:37 AM
he may not even like it.....i had a VFG on my AR for a while....i can see it being useful in urban environments but for general accuracy i did a lot better without it

want to buy a magpul MVG FDE for $10? lol

cfusionpm
06-24-2012, 11:20 AM
I have an SR 556E and have put both an AFG and VFG on it. I like the VFG a lot better. As long as there's a bullet button, there's no problems with legality (it also comes with a factory flash hider, pistol grip, and colapsing stock, so VFG would be the least of your worries if you were trying to go featureless). That paper is FUD and is wrong.

But adding one is not easy out the door, you have to buy a proprietary Ruger rail system to attach to the proprietary Ruger handguard. They're not exactly cheap. I have a single 5" piece, which set me back 25$ plus shipping (http://shopruger.com/SR-556E-TR-5-Picatinny-Rail/productinfo/18095/).

rogervzv
06-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I have an SR 556E and have put both an AFG and VFG on it. I like the VFG a lot better. As long as there's a bullet button, there's no problems with legality (it also comes with a factory flash hider, pistol grip, and colapsing stock, so VFG would be the least of your worries if you were trying to go featureless). That paper is FUD and is wrong.

But adding one is not easy out the door, you have to buy a proprietary Ruger rail system to attach to the proprietary Ruger handguard. They're not exactly cheap. I have a single 5" piece, which set me back 25$ plus shipping (http://shopruger.com/SR-556E-TR-5-Picatinny-Rail/productinfo/18095/).

Yes. I bought my SR556E at Turners and did all of the above:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/DSC_0603.jpg

Agent 0range
06-24-2012, 11:52 AM
What do you expect from Turners? Personally, I expect FUD. It seems like every time I'm in there I hear more of it. Just the other day one salesman was telling a customer that she must have her ammo and handgun in separate locked cases to fly on any airline. I usually just ignore their FUD, but this time I stepped in and corrected the salesman right in front of his manager, who said nothing. The customer thanked me and went on her way...I followed out of disgust for that place.

drifter2be
06-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Never listen to legal advice dispensed by a gun store, especially Turner's, the majority of their employees wouldn't even know how to properly clean a gun, let alone understand any of the nuances of CA firearms laws.

Agent 0range
06-24-2012, 12:32 PM
^^^ You're not kidding. When I was debating between a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP 100, Turners was the only place I could find both to do a side by side comparison. At least twice, as I was explaining the differences to the salesman, he said "Wow! I didn't know that!". He's supposed to be trying to sell me the gun, not the other way around.

cfusionpm
06-24-2012, 12:40 PM
To a lot of people, a sales job is a sales job. I expect someone on staff to be intimately familiar with the products they sell, but in no way do I expect everyone to be. Same goes for any place that sells anything. Take everything with a grain of salt. The ones who know what they're talking about can be spotted a mile away.

Agent 0range
06-24-2012, 1:30 PM
^^^ I can't argue with that, but when I walk into Best Buy to make a large purchase like a new computer or tv, I expect the salesperson to be able to answer my questions and tell me the differences between product A and B. If they don't know the answer, they usually ask a manager or look it up for me. A new gun is a large purchase also, and I expect the same customer service and answers to my questions as opposed to saying "I'm not sure", or worse; just guessing. Maybe I've just been spoiled recently with the extremely knowledgeable staff at my 2 LGSs. End rant!
:rant:

drunktank
06-25-2012, 7:15 AM
Turners - the same store that told me my new Saiga .223 that I purchased from Ammo Bros. was illegal...

weber_2
06-25-2012, 7:41 AM
^lol me too. I went looking fora scope mount and the guy told me they don't carry parts for illegal assault rifles. Amateur Stand Up Comedy night!

muddy57
06-25-2012, 7:44 AM
Interesting, I bought my vfg at turner's.

darkest2000
06-25-2012, 8:34 AM
Turner's is only doing the right thing by informing its customers that adding a vfg MAY make it illegal (depending on how the rifle is configured). Which is true. What's the big deal.

weber_2
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
^ then why don't they tell customers about pistol grips, collapsable stocks, flash hiders or any other "evil feature"

Speedpower
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Turners are simply covering their as$ period!
Just in case you did something stoopid like (maybe) taking off the BB and adding a VFG! I've seen it happen all the time!

winnre
06-25-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm actually surprised they are selling guns through SSE.

Arkangel
06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm actually surprised they are selling guns through SSE.

:confused:

What location? The one in Kearny Mesa doesn't.

stix213
06-25-2012, 4:18 PM
They probably have people sign that same piece of paper for their mini-14's or other featureless rifles. Probably just the guy behind the counter not smart enough to determine when it should be signed and when not, so they get everyone to sign.

I'm sure its a CYA thing on their part, and not some kind of requirement they are trying to push on customers.

jkody
06-25-2012, 5:08 PM
I once had a gunshop try to sell me a handgun with a threaded barrel! I had to argue with them to get the cali legal version without the threaded barrel.

Maddog5150
06-25-2012, 5:39 PM
What do you expect from Turners? Personally, I expect FUD. It seems like every time I'm in there I hear more of it. Just the other day one salesman was telling a customer that she must have her ammo and handgun in separate locked cases to fly on any airline. I usually just ignore their FUD, but this time I stepped in and corrected the salesman right in front of his manager, who said nothing. The customer thanked me and went on her way...I followed out of disgust for that place.

You know some airlines do require that right? But since you know everything already, may we all bow to you :rolleyes:

Agent 0range
06-25-2012, 6:58 PM
You know some airlines do require that right? But since you know everything already, may we all bow to you :rolleyes:

Please re-read my post. The salesman said "any airline", not "some airlines". The customer was asking specifically about Southwest which does allow firearm and ammo (not exceeding 11 lbs.) in the same locked container. You may commence bowing.

steve92407
06-25-2012, 7:11 PM
Continental airlines made me lock ammo and handgun in separate suitcases even locked in separate cases.

TheHammerOfTruth
06-25-2012, 9:48 PM
Please re-read my post. The salesman said "any airline", not "some airlines". The customer was asking specifically about Southwest which does allow firearm and ammo (not exceeding 11 lbs.) in the same locked container. You may commence bowing.

Sorry, I just flew on Southwest last month and had to have my firearm and ammo in seperate containers. As a matter of fact, I have flown on Alaska, AA, United, Delta and Southwest and each time I have had to have seperate containers. And, If you are ever flying out of the country not only does your ammo have to be in a seperate container, but it has to be in a factory box, no plastic ammo cases and no reloads.

Brandon04GT
06-25-2012, 9:50 PM
:confused:

What location? The one in Kearny Mesa doesn't.

I think at the Reseda Turner's they had what looked like a Mac 11 or whatever in single shot.

Maddog5150
06-26-2012, 12:13 AM
lol, I was going to respond but looks like steve and hammer of truth beat me to it. I know hunters who ship their ammo (hand loads) to friends in the state they are hunting in to avoid the hassle.
May we keep bowing

glockwise2000
06-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Turner's? What's new?

rogervzv
06-26-2012, 5:12 AM
^^^ I can't argue with that, but when I walk into Best Buy to make a large purchase like a new computer or tv, I expect the salesperson to be able to answer my questions and tell me the differences between product A and B. .....

You must get disappointed a lot...

As far as Turners goes, I generally find their staff to be very knowledgeable. Yes, a couple of times they have made mistakes, such as recently when a guy was showing me a S&W revolver and told me that all the new revolvers were required to have an integral lock (like the S&W does.) I showed him how the GP100 Ruger does not, and he acknowledged his error. No big deal.

That Turners form says that additions or alterations "MAY" affect the legality of the weapon. This form was obviously written by a lawyer. But note the word "MAY." Turners sold me my foregrip for my SR556E; they know it is legal.

Maddog5150
06-26-2012, 7:20 AM
^^^^^^ Yup! I had to sign a similar form when I bought a stripped lower from cold war shooters when they were dealing out of their back yard. Everyone here wants to blow them though.

peter95
06-26-2012, 7:24 AM
when did you ever start to believe in Turners?

06-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Any light on this is appreciated, thanks.

It's nothing more than a CYA move.

OMG, Turner's employees aren't experts in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

:laugh:

You must get disappointed a lot...

:thumbsup: