PDA

View Full Version : Sparks from AK 47 when shooting

BucDan
06-24-2012, 6:05 AM
This has been happening for a while and I pretty much just ignore it but I wanna know if it is a problem. I have the AK builder slant muzzle brake on and when I shoot, sparks fly from the barrel like 10 yards forward. Is it because the bullet it striking the slant brake and I should fix it somehow, or I shouldn't be worried at all?

Thanks.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-24-2012, 6:18 AM
that doesn't sound good...

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-24-2012, 6:19 AM
what kind of AK do you have?

BucDan
06-24-2012, 6:29 AM
It is one built from a build party down here in sd. It is a new Romanian barrel From apexgunparts build into a amd 65 parts kit. Do you think the headspacing is off? I was able to get 300 rounds down the barrel. Sometimes I see sparks fly from the barrel, sometime I don't see it at all.

PEZHEAD265
06-24-2012, 6:33 AM
Wow that is scary.Do you have the slant break screwed all the way in??It should be about a half turn loose and locked by a push button.If it is creating sparks that means your bullet can defect off in any direction and that is dangerous.How is the accuracy??

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-24-2012, 6:33 AM
Any buildup in the barrel? what ammo are you using?

nick
06-24-2012, 6:34 AM
If you suspect the muzzle brake, have you tried shooting it without the muzzle brake?

BucDan
06-24-2012, 6:46 AM
I do have the slant brake screwed un all the way as it was forced turned all the way another 1/8 of an inch as it was so close to the next detent hole.

Accuracy is actually pretty good for casual plinking off hand shooting at 25 yards.

I clean my barrel every outing, so I don't think there is much buildup. I use tul and wolf primarily.

No I haven't tried without the muzzle brake yet. I'll try next week. You guys got me scared!

Sig Sauerkraut
06-24-2012, 7:21 AM
Does your muzzle brake look like it's been shot? If your round is striking the brake it should be evident.

Did you attempt to shoot at anything further than 25yds to see it the bullet was deflecting or tumbling? 25yd accuracy in a rifle doesn't mean beans.

Was there any indication on your target that your bullet was not stable in flight? Keyholes and bullet frags will tell you that you've got a problem.

BucDan
06-24-2012, 7:32 AM
I do see a little bit of rubbing areas on the brake. I haven't shot further than 25, so ill hit up one of the longer ranges here. But at 25, no keyholing.

CSACANNONEER
06-24-2012, 7:41 AM
It could just be burning powder or, it could be the bullet hitting the brake. Try no MB and a different MB.

BucDan
06-24-2012, 7:45 AM
Will do.

Colt562
06-24-2012, 9:11 AM
incinderary ammo? :66:

all joking aside...i would try it with the mb off or have it checked out by someone that could cause some serious problems if something does happen

Mamluke
06-24-2012, 9:28 AM
Does your muzzle brake look like it's been shot? If your round is striking the brake it should be evident.

Did you attempt to shoot at anything further than 25yds to see it the bullet was deflecting or tumbling? 25yd accuracy in a rifle doesn't mean beans.

Was there any indication on your target that your bullet was not stable in flight? Keyholes and bullet frags will tell you that you've got a problem.

.... lol.... If I spit a bullet at 25 yards its gonna be right on target ... :43:

Try shooting without the muzzle brake, and then try a different muzzle brake ...

In the end, it may not be all that bad, you may have built a flame thrower instead ....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6PdsPkQFSI0/S_0-JZ5rYyI/AAAAAAAABSk/XWtepFM6GB0/s1600/flamethrower_straight.jpg

BucDan
06-24-2012, 9:47 AM
Haha dang. I will when I take it out next time. I was scared after the first 3 posts, but when CSA chimed in... I felt relaxed :p

Cali-Shooter
06-24-2012, 9:52 AM
If it happens with a wide assortment of ammo types (Yugo surplus, Wolf, Tula, Winchester, Prvi Partizan, etc.), then you know for sure it isn't the ammunition causing it. Perhaps like others have said it is the bullet striking the muzzle brake ever so slightly. I'm no expert though.

Turo
06-24-2012, 9:58 AM
Are you sure you're seeing sparks? Or are you just seeing flecks of unburnt powder burning outside the barrel like you do when you shoot pistols in low light?

Sig Sauerkraut
06-24-2012, 10:48 AM
It's most likely powder if he was able to run 300 rounds without some kind of malfunction or blowing the brake off. If he was shooting at an indoor range that would definitely make the flash and powder more visible.

Enough about that though, how about some pics of this AK!

BucDan
06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
If it happens with a wide assortment of ammo types (Yugo surplus, Wolf, Tula, Winchester, Prvi Partizan, etc.), then you know for sure it isn't the ammunition causing it. Perhaps like others have said it is the bullet striking the muzzle brake ever so slightly. I'm no expert though.

Are you sure you're seeing sparks? Or are you just seeing flecks of unburnt powder burning outside the barrel like you do when you shoot pistols in low light?

I'm starting to think this is it. I think it's just unburnt powder. I took the muzzle device off and I don't see any signs of friction or paint wear.

It's most likely powder if he was able to run 300 rounds without some kind of malfunction or blowing the brake off. If he was shooting at an indoor range that would definitely make the flash and powder more visible.

Enough about that though, how about some pics of this AK!

I know right! As for the picture, I don't have a camera right now. But I did post the pic up in the AK pictures somewhere.

Agent 0range
06-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Same thing happened to my buddy's. He was hitting his MB and it was deflecting the rounds down. Started out small, but after a while, he was hitting the ground at 50 yards. The guys at DAS built him a custom MB and it solved the problem. It isn't as pretty as the first one, but it works. Might be worth having it checked out though, just for peace of mind.

CSACANNONEER
06-24-2012, 1:37 PM
Haha dang. I will when I take it out next time. I was scared after the first 3 posts, but when CSA chimed in... I felt relaxed :p

Don't relax yet. If bullets are really hitting your MB it could be very dangerous. I really doubt that a slant brake could be installed in such a way that a bullet could make contact with it without it being very obvious but, without seeing it, I am not going to say that it isn't happening. Make sure to wear eyes and ears and keep everyone 10'-15' away while you run a few tests. It's better to be a little cautious and safe rather than relaxed and indifferent to safety precautions.

m03
06-24-2012, 2:21 PM
I do have the slant brake screwed un all the way as it was forced turned all the way another 1/8 of an inch as it was so close to the next detent hole.

The slant brake is not supposed to be perfectly tight. Also, it IS supposed to be angled.

BucDan
06-24-2012, 4:19 PM
Well, I got home at took a look, I don't see any signs of striking on the muzzle brake. I took it off and carefully inspected it. But I'll test it with nothing on when I get out shooting again sometime soon. Of course the slant brake is slanted :).

arsilva32
06-24-2012, 5:04 PM
It could just be burning powder or, it could be the bullet hitting the brake. Try no MB and a different MB.

this ^^ ive seen lots of short barrel AK's shoot unburnt powder (sparks) from the brake .if the bullet was hitting the brake i would think there would be at least some serious accuracy issues.

L4D
06-24-2012, 5:08 PM
Did it look something like this?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=155921&stc=1&d=1340586496

BucDan
06-24-2012, 5:17 PM
Yes it does actually. Not with that big ol' fireball though. Or at least I don't see the fireball.

IntoForever
06-24-2012, 5:25 PM
Its probably just powder, I have blanks that spit little sparks like that and since no projectiles are present we know it's not an impact. To be safe though, take it seriously and check the MB then try different ammo. Old 70's milsurp has a tiny fireball and I've not seen 'sparks' fly when shooting it.

ENTHUSIAST
06-24-2012, 5:47 PM
I would also suspect the round is striking somewhere on the slant brake when leaving the barrel.

I agree to try it with no brake or a US made muzzle nut:
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29811

6mmintl
06-24-2012, 6:11 PM
Might be rivets popping off

BucDan
06-24-2012, 6:30 PM
No, I think it is just powder still, since there is no mark on the slant brake anywhere unless the carbon is covering it up. But yeah, I just took the slant brake off and will run it naked to test it.

No, I don't think the rivets are coming off. Not really too sure on how that will affect the muzzle end. Unless you are thinking that sparks are coming out of my barrel at the bolt face area.

ENTHUSIAST
06-24-2012, 6:35 PM
Might be rivets popping off :troll:

Dead*Reckoned
06-24-2012, 6:35 PM
My friend had a two cz52s that shot sparks. We figured it was the surplus ammo never had any problems and both were accurate

BucDan
06-24-2012, 6:37 PM
If anything, I'll just run to jayruta, kcscott or enthusiast for help haha.

Though, at the same time, it would still spark on a 16 inch barrel?

Dead*Reckoned
06-24-2012, 7:58 PM
try some different ammo, if it keeps showing up, well... even then I wouldn't worry about it. I've had plenty sparks as well from tula steel cased ammo. I shoot at night a lot, so I got to see what my guns were doing. As long as they arn't coming from the action, you should be good to go.

CIV Tactical
06-24-2012, 8:55 PM
Did it look something like this?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=155921&stc=1&d=1340586496
thats an awesome pic. reminds me of shooting the ar pistol at night with the flaming pig.

Maddog5150
06-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Probably powder burning outside the barrel.