PDA

View Full Version : Bunny hunting with a bb gun?

crackerman
06-24-2012, 1:07 AM
With bunny season fast approaching I have a couple questions about air gun hunting. I will be giving my 20g a work out but would like a different challenge.

If a hunt area has a restriction of "no pistols or rifles may be carried or possessed", can you still carry a air rifle for hunting?

The regulations for small game airguns states:
311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.
Only the following may be used to take resident small game:
(f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at least 0.177 caliber.

Is something like the Gamo Big cat 1200 with a spring piston power plant legal or the Gamo whisperer with a "nitropiston"? Or does it have to be a precharged pneumatic or co2 gun?

Tough to figure out from the webregs and manufacturers websites.

tacksman
06-24-2012, 6:49 AM
Email fish and game. Then if the answer is yes you can. Keep a copy of the email in your truck. CYA

With bunny season fast approaching I have a couple questions about air gun hunting. I will be giving my 20g a work out but would like a different challenge.

If a hunt area has a restriction of "no pistols or rifles may be carried or possessed", can you still carry a air rifle for hunting?

The regulations for small game airguns states:
311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.
Only the following may be used to take resident small game:
(f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at least 0.177 caliber.

Is something like the Gamo Big cat 1200 with a spring piston power plant legal or the Gamo whisperer with a "nitropiston"? Or does it have to be a precharged pneumatic or co2 gun?

Tough to figure out from the webregs and manufacturers websites.

taperxz
06-24-2012, 7:48 AM
Email fish and game. Then if the answer is yes you can. Keep a copy of the email in your truck. CYA

Are you serious? You would rely on an email from ANYBODY @ F&G for legal advice?

OP, What you need to do is contact the sheriffs dept to find exactly what shooting prohibitions they have in the area. ADDITIONALLY, You said no rifles or pistols! Are you saying this is a shotgun area only? Who is in charge of the restrictions? In the end, even an airgun is either a rifle or pistol.

NEVER rely on an email. You never know who sent it and it won't help you in court to fight a citation or arrest.

tgriffin
06-24-2012, 7:57 AM
To taperxz you listen, mhmmmmm.

CSACANNONEER
06-24-2012, 8:27 AM
Are you serious? You would rely on an email from ANYBODY @ F&G for legal advice?

OP, What you need to do is contact the sheriffs dept to find exactly what shooting prohibitions they have in the area. ADDITIONALLY, You said no rifles or pistols! Are you saying this is a shotgun area only? Who is in charge of the restrictions? In the end, even an airgun is either a rifle or pistol.

NEVER rely on an email. You never know who sent it and it won't help you in court to fight a citation or arrest.

After spending the better part of a day at the DFG Comissioner's Office and sitting in on some round table discussion some 25 years ago, I'll agree about questioning the legal knowledge of any one individual at DFG.

Now, as far as airgun classifications go, I own an airgun (http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=71) which was designed to shoot shotshells. So, an airgun can be a "shotgun" too! I also own a .22lr shotgun (http://www.gunsinternational.com/Remington-Model-121-Routledge-Bore-22-L-R-S-C-.cfm?gun_id=100229400).

ewarmour
06-24-2012, 8:38 AM
As far as rifle/pistol only I don't know. I however I don't see a problem with an email from the DFG that says yes you can hunt rabbits at/during, etc... might help you beat a ticket once you get to court. :D

As far as this goes:

As concise as possible:

In a springer gun the spring/piston or gas spring/piston compresses air which is transferred to the breech via a transfer port when the trigger is pulled there by firing the projectile down the bore via compressed air.

It's an air rifle by definition and good to go under Methods of take (f).

For what it's worth from some random guy on the intarweb.

CSACANNONEER: If you want to sell your Viper express shoot me a PM. I've been looking for one... I kick myself for not buying one back in the day.

taperxz
06-24-2012, 9:15 AM
As far as rifle/pistol only I don't know. I however I don't see a problem with an email from the DFG that says yes you can hunt rabbits at/during, etc... might help you beat a ticket once you get to court. :D

As far as this goes:

As concise as possible:

In a springer gun the spring/piston or gas spring/piston compresses air which is transferred to the breech via a transfer port when the trigger is pulled there by firing the projectile down the bore via compressed air.

It's an air rifle by definition and good to go under Methods of take (f).

For what it's worth from some random guy on the intarweb.

CSACANNONEER: If you want to sell your Viper express shoot me a PM. I've been looking for one... I kick myself for not buying one back in the day.

So what you're saying is don't worry about the law, let someone, anyone, give you a reply e mail and use that when you get a ticket??? Why not make sure everything is legal to begin with? Instead of beating a ticket, why not just completely avoid getting a ticket by KNOWING the law?

taperxz
06-24-2012, 9:20 AM
OP, identify the area, check with the local sheriff on shooting restrictions, then make sure what you are using is a legal method of take via F&G regs. I think an air rifle is GTG for small game. If it is a fed, state or special F&G area, the local area will have regs posted for hunting conditions allowed. Let us know what you find or tell us the location so we can at least evaluate the area.

CSACANNONEER
06-24-2012, 9:24 AM

Kick yourself HARDER. I picked mine up less than a year ago. I couldn't find them anywhere and then, Cabella's had reconditioned ones for $89! I couldn't pass it up. I've been wanting to find a dark night and take it out mouse hunting around here.

IVC
06-24-2012, 9:38 AM
So what you're saying is don't worry about the law, let someone, anyone, give you a reply e mail and use that when you get a ticket??? Why not make sure everything is legal to begin with? Instead of beating a ticket, why not just completely avoid getting a ticket by KNOWING the law?

Agree in general, but...

There is what the law states, and there is what the person enforcing the law thinks. If there is a disconnect, the OP will get a ticket due to the latter and will have to go to court to sort out the former.

The best way to avoid any drama is not only to know the law, but also to have a good feel for what those enforcing it think. This might include carrying some e-mail printouts, and using people skills beyond "well officer, my taxes/fees pay your salary."

crackerman
06-24-2012, 9:44 AM
It's san jacinto wa so it's f&g who has jurisdiction. Not exactly a secret spot. It's only 10 min from my inlaws house so its a nice place to have an armed hike at worst when we visit and I need some me time. So that is where I get the no rifles and pistols part.

tony270
06-24-2012, 9:55 AM
Airguns are not firearms and any regulations would have to stipulate air guns or any projectile propelled by expanding gases. I have seen county regulations writen like that.

taperxz
06-24-2012, 10:20 AM
It's san jacinto wa so it's f&g who has jurisdiction. Not exactly a secret spot. It's only 10 min from my inlaws house so its a nice place to have an armed hike at worst when we visit and I need some me time. So that is where I get the no rifles and pistols part.

OK, You need contact the unit @ F&G who is in charge of that wildlife area. that shouldn't be to difficult. have fun!

ewarmour
06-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Kick yourself HARDER. I picked mine up less than a year ago. I couldn't find them anywhere and then, Cabella's had reconditioned ones for $89! I couldn't pass it up. I've been wanting to find a dark night and take it out mouse hunting around here.

Damn that's a good deal. I saw one in a craigslist garage sale photo about a month ago, when I got there it had sold for $60. Yep kicking harder.

That is exactly what I'm saying, however I was being facetious, hence the green smiley icon. With that said it's still a good idea to get it in writing.

toby
06-24-2012, 12:31 PM
www.varminter.com