PDA

View Full Version : 7.62X39 Upper

dfletcher
06-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Quick question regarding a 7.62X39 upper.

I have one and like it, I think the AR platform and the X39 cartridge are a great set up. A friend is becoming a convert but won't buy unless the upper is a pistion type. I don't think there is such a thing for a X39 upper, nor do I think a piston kit for a 5.56 can be slapped on.

Are there piston type X39 AR uppers out there and if not, can a 5.56 piston kit be used to retrofit?

If there is such a thing, does anyone have one and how do they wprk?

sharxbyte
06-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the only differences between 5.56/223 and 7.62x39 AR's are the barrel's and the BCG's. Pretty sure the gas piston system will fit either. not 100% sure, but I haven't heard anything about them being caliber specific.

Why is he stuck on piston?

Also, just curious, but what bolt do you use and how many rounds have you put down it?

ott1
06-24-2012, 12:54 PM
The Adams Arms piston retrofit kit should work with the 7.62x39 but only in the pistol and carbine length gas system. It won't work reliably in midlength or rifle length gas system.

SpeedTribe
06-24-2012, 1:04 PM
The Adams Arms piston retrofit kit should work with the 7.62x39 but only in the pistol and carbine length gas system. It won't work reliably in midlength or rifle length gas system.

+1 to this. I could not get mine to run reliably with the AA piston on a midlength. It would probably work better if you open up the gas port a bit. Other folks I spoke to had the same issue. Carbine reportedly works fine.

dfletcher
06-24-2012, 3:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the only differences between 5.56/223 and 7.62x39 AR's are the barrel's and the BCG's. Pretty sure the gas piston system will fit either. not 100% sure, but I haven't heard anything about them being caliber specific.

Why is he stuck on piston?

Also, just curious, but what bolt do you use and how many rounds have you put down it?

The only differences I know of are the barrel and bolt head. I figure a 5.56 type will physically fit, I just don't know how it will function. I use whatever came with the rifle, the BCG is nothing special. I've shot about 1K rounds through mine and it's worked fine, shows excellent 100 yd accuracy. I use a JTAC AK pistol brake, it's 1/2X28 threaded and that's how my AR upper came threaded. It works welll.

So far as why it's wanted, I'd suppose it's mostly cleaning. I don't like cleaning mine and X39 ammo is messy, but I just slop more oil into the action and fire away. :)