View Full Version : Might go to OC gun show

05-21-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm thinking of going on a little hunting trip to the OC gun show in a couple weeks if I decide to give in and pay the mafia rates for gas. I've never gone there before, and to try and save myself some time and trouble, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help ne find a few things there:

A cash and carry 91/30 Mosin Nagant in very good-excellent condition (especially the bore), with the accessories included

A crate of Hungarian steel core heavy ball, USSR surplus sniper grade, and Czech silver tip ammo

And I could use a decent bench rest/cleaning rest too.

Any ideas where to start looking and who to look for?

05-22-2007, 12:12 AM
I'd not travel very far to go if I were you. It's a big show and all but you will be seeing a lot of beanie babies and beef jerky I assure you as well as people with very optimistic prices for their wares. The occasional gem can be found but this is the exception and not the norm. i did get a Kel Tec P32 for $200 last year.

05-22-2007, 5:30 AM
While 91/30s are easy to get, actually getting one "cash and carry" at the gun show depends on you finding another attendee actually carrying one around with him/her for sale. And unless there's a vendor selling C&R guns without an FFL, you'll be out of luck (or paying DROS).

Can't comment on the ammo. I've never bought surplus ammo from the show. The last x54 ammo I bought was a couple 1000 rounds of Hungarian Heavy Ball from J&G Sales. Speaking of which, I still can't find where in the garage I put that stuff...

As far as benchrests, I've never seen anyone selling any besides Caldwells which can be bought online for far cheaper than at the show. Cleaning cradles? Better deals online or you may as well just go to Big 5 if you want a generic one.

The gun shows are pretty specific nowadays as far as why you should even bother going. The cost to get into the Costa Mesa show is around $12 with free parking. Since the cost of powder at the show has shot up to $20 per lb and primers are around the same per 1K, there's no justification for me to go.

Most people I see going to the show seem to walk out with ammo. So I'm guessing that's the primary reason for anyone to go.

Sometimes you need a generic rifle case, and they actually have some ok ones for $15 or so for a simple scoped hunting style rifle.

Cleaning supplies? The cost of solvents and what not is actually pretty decent. If you need some cleaner, the prices are ok and beat normal store prices. Online prices on stuff like BBS or Montana Xtreme are still better, even with shipping if you have the dealer discount with Midway/Grafs via a C&R license.

05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
worthwhile cash &carry is almost impossible to get nowadays.

I wouldn't bother, most venders have been harassed by agents to the point that they wont cash and carry anymore

05-22-2007, 10:51 AM
It's probably the best show left in Cali. But that's not setting the bar too high really...

05-22-2007, 11:13 AM
luckly, ammo and accessories are relatively inexpensive if you look at right places

parts, is a different story