PDA

View Full Version : AK Build parties

SKSer45
06-23-2012, 4:32 PM
Anybody ever done them? just looking to see how they work and what all the hub bub is about :P

atsaubrey
06-23-2012, 4:45 PM
Done a few. Typically, in my experience at least, turn out is is pretty low if you arent well known builder.

SKSer45
06-23-2012, 4:47 PM
[QUOTE=atsaubrey;8807245]Done a few. Typically, in my experience at least, turn out is is pretty low if you arent well known builder.[/QUOTE

O yeah? are they hard to build and get parts for? I know very little about AK building kits. Been looking for a AK 74 or 47 and some one talked about the building parties. Figure I sniff around.

dshooter
06-23-2012, 5:13 PM
Built a few aks. If you want to drive to cal state san berdo, Rocobbro can buy you a kit and the stuff and you'll pay him there. the kits are from ak-builder.com. Non-matching but barrel is good to go with headspacing and other holes drilled. Total cost should be about 450. You just pay for the parts, he'll pay for shipping of parts. You can try to find a kit, but 310 for a kit is pretty good. You can parkerize it so it'll look black like a reg ak. He plans to up his bp cost from 40 to higher. Don't know. I usually help guys and finish last. Other veterans will help too. You mess up a little, Roc can fix it up. He supplies everything, even lunch. He's really cool. Don't know about oc/la bp.

SKSer45
06-23-2012, 5:42 PM
Built a few aks. If you want to drive to cal state san berdo, Rocobbro can buy you a kit and the stuff and you'll pay him there. the kits are from ak-builder.com. Non-matching but barrel is good to go with headspacing and other holes drilled. Total cost should be about 450. You just pay for the parts, he'll pay for shipping of parts. You can try to find a kit, but 310 for a kit is pretty good. You can parkerize it so it'll look black like a reg ak. He plans to up his bp cost from 40 to higher. Don't know. I usually help guys and finish last. Other veterans will help too. You mess up a little, Roc can fix it up. He supplies everything, even lunch. He's really cool. Don't know about oc/la bp.

nice that doesn;t sound to bad. Just looking for a good shooter and something fun to mess around with. Plus no FFL and I can customize or leave it be as much as I want. GUys got any photos of these frankenstiens?

CSACANNONEER
06-23-2012, 5:53 PM
I've hosted one or two (dozen) build parties. What do you want to know. Are you thinking about having one?

SKSer45
06-23-2012, 6:30 PM
I've hosted one or two (dozen) build parties. What do you want to know. Are you thinking about having one?

well thinking of getting an AK-47/74 and from some other CGN's members I talked to, AK builds are they way to go, its easy, fun, and legal. Figure why not watch how an AK is made or build one my self? Or have some one guide me through the process.

valley82
06-23-2012, 9:04 PM
I am attending my third BP tomorrow, you can build any of the commie guns that you can find a kit for. Check out whatacountry.com, apexgunparts.com, ak-builder.com to name a few suppliers of parts kits. It is a blast building these weapons from flats, and it is not too difficult. It is made much easier at a build party because of the fact that the AKTEAM has all of the tools required, the knowledge of exactly what to do and in what order to do it. Check out the build party tutorial it is a sticky at the top of gun smithing and how to.

dshooter
06-24-2012, 12:30 AM
nice that doesn;t sound to bad. Just looking for a good shooter and something fun to mess around with. Plus no FFL and I can customize or leave it be as much as I want. GUys got any photos of these frankenstiens?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=586255

The Right to Bear Arms
06-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Total cost should be about 450. You just pay for the parts, he'll pay for shipping of parts.

dshooter, that seems almost too good to be true. There has to be some kind of paperwork to document the builds, right?..

CSACANNONEER
06-24-2012, 2:57 AM
dshooter, that seems almost too good to be true. There has to be some kind of paperwork to document the builds, right?..

Only if you want to do a voluntary registration and give Ca $19 that it doesn't deserve. But. no paperwork is legally required.

SKSer45
06-24-2012, 9:24 AM
I was looking at this, the bulgarian AK 74. Anybody have any experience with this one?

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30154

http://ak-builder.com/images/detailed/1/bulgarian_wood_parts_kit.jpg

dshooter
06-24-2012, 11:04 AM
74 and 47 are similiar. Keep in mind that most 5.45 surplus are steel core which most socal ranges don't allow. You can buy brass 74, but prices are higher. Or you go to the desert. And yes, no registration or serial needed unless you sell in the future.

ott1
06-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I was looking at this, the bulgarian AK 74. Anybody have any experience with this one?

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30154

http://ak-builder.com/images/detailed/1/bulgarian_wood_parts_kit.jpg

Definitely get a scope rail for that Bulgy kit for your build. You could add a rail later after the build, but why?

jonrx7
06-27-2012, 4:31 PM
I'm in OC. I notice the new kits don't have matching barrell. I bought 3 kits about 5 years ago when the wifey got pregnant, Now kids are 4 and 6. Time to go back and finish at least one. I bought a bunch of tools but never finish..... 20 ton press, spot welder, barrel install remove kit, bender, and bolt cutters to modify to crimp rivets.