View Full Version : Help Choosing an Optic for my AR-15

06-23-2012, 3:26 PM
So i've finally saved up enough cash to purchase an optic for my AR-15, i've been using my MBUIS MagPul flip up sights to put rounds down range and they currently are zero'd for 25 yards. I've been using this gun just for range use only but i'd like to set in up for a SHTF gun or HD gun if need be. I've been looking at optics from Aimpoint and EOTech. Mainly the Patrol Pro from Aimpoint and the EOTech 512. Which would you recommend and why? Also if you have other suggestions please feel free to add.

I know this question has been asked a million time before but I'd like to get fresh input on this question. I always come to calguns.net for all of my questions as I know a huge majority of members are extremely knowledgeable, and some have military and police background.

06-23-2012, 3:39 PM
I would suggest a red dot or holographic sight for SHTF/HD gun for fast target acquisition.

Aimpoint T1 or and Eotech are the top choices. I run a Primary Arms micro dot and it's great and at a much better price at ~$100.

You can't go wrong with either style. Comes down to preference so if it's possible, try to test it out in person.

06-23-2012, 11:43 PM
I've been very impressed with the Vortex Strikefire I put on my older AR. I would definitely look at that model and at the Primary Arms stuff before I dropped serious $$ on an Aimpoint or Eotech.

My newer AR now sports a Burris MTAC, and it is a great, versatile optic that still works (in daylight anyway) if the battery dies. At 200 yards I was shooting significantly better than the guys with Eotechs and magnifiers.

06-24-2012, 2:31 AM
I have both, like both. I prefer the eo reticle. Near impossible to "lose" the dot, and the outer ring can be used for impromtu range finding.

on the other hand, circa 8 years of constant power on a single AA battery on the comp M4 is very hard to argue with

06-24-2012, 3:19 AM
I have the Aimpoint Pro on my AR Title 1 Firearm, it has been great but might be a little large, if weight and size are a concern. I have heard very good things about the Vortex and it is a lot less money.

For some reason, under flash, the color of the mount looks funky but under daylight, it doesn't look that way?

06-24-2012, 8:05 AM
I run a 512 and love it. 1 Moa dot is great , and makes for really tight groups. it has auto shutoff at 4 or 8 hours.
The deal at GG&g is really good.
Also I'd recommend you go with a 50 yard zero.

06-24-2012, 8:09 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to zero at 50 yards, just have to get down to a range that offers 50 yards of shooting.

06-24-2012, 8:12 AM
i also run a 512, love the 1moa and like the fact it runs on standered AA batterys.
i have a votex sparc on my ar pistol thats a great site for the money will stand its own with the higher end optics.

06-24-2012, 8:19 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to zero at 50 yards, just have to get down to a range that offers 50 yards of shooting.

Make your groups form 1.2inches low at 25 yards. Easy peasy.

Mossy Man
06-24-2012, 8:20 AM
i have the aimpoint pro clone from PA

$118 shipped.

shot maybe 250 rounds through it so far, holds zero, looks good. Not an aimpoint but not $400 either.

06-24-2012, 8:23 AM
Preference thing. Find a way to try the different styles of red dot and also as mentioned above the 1-4 "tactical" scopes. I find that I don't really like the eotech style or the microdots personally. I also find that with my "mature" eyes, some magnification really helps. The problem with red dots and magnifiers is that the eye relief in most magnifiers really sucks. I am gonna try the lucid when it's back in stock as they claim a 4-2.5" relief with 2-5x. The eye relief with most tactical scopes is better but the "both eyes open" thing at 1x doesn't always work with tactical scopes like it does with a red dot consistently

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

06-24-2012, 8:27 AM
When I equipped my AR rifle I decided to go with EOTech. The circle-dot reticle IMSOHO is a superior combat reticle. The 1 moa center dot is fine for sharpshooting, and the circle gives faster target acquisition. Further, since it is a holographic style sight, you have better situational awareness.

I own several EOTechs and Aimpoints, by the way. I like the EOTech XPS2-0/XPS series myself. CR123A batteries are easy to find and have a very long shelf life and I keep an extra battery in the grip of the rifle. Not going to run out of power and the sight is smaller than the versions that use AA batteries.

The reticle:
My setup: