PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloader: more newbie ???'s

VFX_man
06-23-2012, 2:27 PM
Hi all, have a question concerning ramrod's and jag's.

Have this Muzzleloader: Thompson/Center Triumph Bone Collector
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bone_collector.php

So trying to figure out a few things . . .

1) When I attach a jag to my guns ramrod, it will not (ramrod) fit back in its storage rings on the gun. Do you have to take the jag on/off each time you want to load/clean?

2) When in the field, do you keep your ramrod stowed in the guns holder rings or carry it loose?

Chabot gun club has a muzzleloader day on July 8th, but was trying to learn as much as I can prior.

Any other videos/web sights with good information is appreciated.

Did check out the T/C World of Muzzleloader series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8DSHpwwWSU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jm13690
06-23-2012, 2:55 PM
I recently got into muzzleloaders. I just picked up a TC Omega, but it does the job fine. When it comes to the jag that should only be for when you are cleaning it. Also keep the ramrod in the holder, anywhere else it could get bent. Cleaning after every shot is for the range. If you are out hunting in the field then just clean when you get home.

Things you do need to get is a couple different powders to try. Its really up to you on what route you go. Muzzleloaders can be choosey about what powder works best. I use 777 powder myself, but there are a good amount of options out there. Next go bullet route, I hunt in lead free country so my choices aren't as vast. Just try and find what your rifle will shoot consistent.

Also make sure to have a bullet starter, just makes things easier. A powder flask and measure is important to have unless you go pellets.

Now just go shoot and have fun.

Trapper
06-23-2012, 4:47 PM
I picked up a three pack of small tool pouches from Home depot and use one for patches, solvent, and bore butter and another one for my jags, T handle and speed loaders. The T handle was made with a stainless screw (I think it's a #10) and a piece of deer antler.
In the field the ram rod is stored on the rifle and I keep an extra in camp just in case.

Whiterabbit
06-25-2012, 11:15 PM
for range time, I have a range rod. At the range, I keep the field rod in the gun and never touch it.

The range rod is polymer, has interchangable tips, unscrews to reveal the screw/extractor, is WAY longer than it needs to be, and works for 50 cal and 58 cal. And cost about 20 bucks. I transport it to the range in the barrel, cause I forgot it once and my field rod is NOT as nice as my range rod.

I always keep the field rod stowed.

6mmintl
07-12-2012, 7:27 PM
I also shoot muzzleloader at Chabot as well as other ranges in the Bay Area. The best place I found for information on muzzleloading is from the 'Traditional Muzzleloading Forum'. I highly recommend it.