PDA

View Full Version : ActionTarget steel targets. Best money spent!

cfusionpm
06-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Been watching nutnfancy videos for a while and he's always talking up how much he likes ActionTarget targets for all the stuff he does. Well after getting less than stellar results from cheap steel targets locally, I decided to bite the bullet and drop the cash on an AT target; specifically the static torso. It stands about 5 feet tall and the target itself is 13x26" with a cutout head on top. It's made out of hardened 550 steel and was advertised to take a beating up to 30-06 at 100 yds without leaving a divot.

It came in the mail last week and I took it with me on my camping trip out in the middle of Ocotillo yesterday. I could not be more pleased with the results! I hit the thing nonstop with .22LR, 9mm, .45ACP, .223, and .308. The handguns were shot safely within 10 yds (it's angled down and spits all debris into the dirt in front of it) and hit it with the rifles out around 150 (had to estimate, don't have a laser ranger).

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5200/actiontarget.jpg

Strike face has paint chipped off it but remains completely flat and smooth. There are no divots I can see or feel along the entire face.

The only one small complaing (which nutn addresses in one of his AT videos) is that the nuts will wiggle their way loose after a while. He advises to loctite them, but I just retightened them. It doesn't fit well into my vehicle with the bottom X brace attached, so I need to be able to take it down. I only tighten each set once all day. I guess the only other thing I could complain about is the price. After shipping (even with a nutnfancy discount code), it was over $230 shipped and weighs around 70 lbs all together. However, after today, I think it was worth every penny and I'll be keeping it and using it for quite a long time. This is probably the best kind of target for use in a desert or BLM setting. Very satisfied customer here.

cfusionpm
06-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Hm..? No one else has an interest in shooting their own steel? I know I sound like a spam advertisement, but just sharing my enthusiasm for something I bought. :)

darmog
06-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the review. Been thinking of picking up one of their Evil Roy portable targets like the 10" or 12" dia steel targets for awhile now but kept putting it off. Manage to finally shoot some hanging steel targets at the local range at 100 and 200 yards. Eventhough I had a paper target up, hitting steel just sounds so much sweeter and more fun. Finally have a shooting buddy whose taken an interest also into scouting for some BLM land to shoot so we've both taken an interest in getting some portable steel targets. For some reason though, I can't seem to bring up the Action Target website from googling their website or my bookmarks. They changed their url recently or something?

cfusionpm
06-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Their site is always slow and clunky for me. I usually just type their name into google and look for their shop page. It's still a little strange now and then, and will have trouble loading the website. Also, processing takes a little while (about 5 or 6 days between recieving order and shipping, but I did get an email that they were processing and it was taking a little longer).

Was going to get a direct link to the store, but it seems the site is down/slow again. :/

darmog
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Ha, ha. Good to know its just not me then cause the website's been down like that since yesterday.

Javi
06-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Yup,Ice owned their evil roy portavle target for a few months now. Heavy son of a gun but easy to throw in my sedan's trunk. The head loosens up with the wing nuts aftr a while and I keep forgetting to take a wrench to use the othr ones. Love the thing and action target took care of my problem very well. I want a 2nd :)

cfusionpm
06-24-2012, 2:16 PM
As soon as funds allow, I'll probably be picking up another. Don't know if I'll spring for another torso, but probably one of the 12" circles.

Javi
06-24-2012, 2:29 PM
I own the 40% torso ar550. Have only shot 9mm and. 22lr with it. The only rifle round I own is 6.5x55swede and I haven't been able to find a place to shoot it 100yards+. I think Ill get the 8" circle next

Javi
06-24-2012, 2:30 PM
Curious: Why didn't you get an evil roy?

FourLoko
06-24-2012, 2:56 PM
are they a CG vendor?

cfusionpm
06-24-2012, 3:14 PM
Curious: Why didn't you get an evil roy?

Not terribly familiar with them, but google tells me they are sold through AT anyway. I wanted a large torso that could take up to .308 and 7.62x54R, and having watched nutnfancy put thousands of rounds on his for the past year or so, it seemed like a no brainer. Plus the nutn discount code is quite nice.

He sang about how much he liked em for quite a while, and this video solidified my decision (though, I couldnt afford the swinger model):

MeHVv9dfNcM

hornswaggled
06-24-2012, 4:12 PM
I got the evil roy, works great. Only complaint is that they shipped it without wingnuts and bolts to attach the head to the body. I called about 5 times leaving messages over the course of 2 weeks. Never got a call back. Finally I called and got someone on the phone, and she forwarded me to the portable targets guy and it went to voicemail. I left a message but he never called me back. Finally I just went to ACE hardware and bought some hardened bolts and nuts and put the thing together.

georound1
06-24-2012, 6:41 PM
I bought an AR500 IPSC torso target branded AMSEC at Turners with base for $199. It worked so well, that I went back and bought another. About the same price with tax, but work really well. 308 didn't leave a divot at 100 yards....a little heavy to carry back and forth, but sure are fun to hit. Thwack is center and a ring is nearer the edge....

cfusionpm
06-24-2012, 6:46 PM
What sold me on the AT over the Turners one (was HEAVILY considering the Turners one) was the 2x4 wood stand vs the thin, deflecting steel stand. Not that 2x4's are necessarily expensive, but I thought that it's something I'd have to replace more often than a 550 steel stand. That, and when I finally decided to go buy one, the Turners near me apparently sold the only one they had, and none in all of San Diego had one in stock. Figured it was a sign, and went to AT.

Javi
06-24-2012, 7:03 PM
Not terribly familiar with them, but google tells me they are sold through AT anyway. I wanted a large torso that could take up to .308 and 7.62x54R, and having watched nutnfancy put thousands of rounds on his for the past year or so, it seemed like a no brainer. Plus the nutn discount code is quite nice.

He sang about how much he liked em for quite a while, and this video solidified my decision (though, I couldnt afford the swinger model):

Yep, "evil roy" is a portable target from Action Target. I also got to know them thanks to that goofy guy haha. Discount did help. I think the standard target & target stand that you have would be tough to transport in my sedan. The evil roy is pretty easy to work with when transporting, setting up n' all.
I got the evil roy, works great. Only complaint is that they shipped it without wingnuts and bolts to attach the head to the body. I called about 5 times leaving messages over the course of 2 weeks. Never got a call back. Finally I called and got someone on the phone, and she forwarded me to the portable targets guy and it went to voicemail. I left a message but he never called me back. Finally I just went to ACE hardware and bought some hardened bolts and nuts and put the thing together.

Dang, customer service was very helpful with me. I had some problems with my first & only order with them:

I read on their site that it would take a while for them to ship since they are busy & I get that but mine didn't arrive for longer than I thought it should. I emailed them and they said that they ran out of the evil roy target stand so they were waiting on that. I was bummed but also disappointed that they did not let me know until I emailed them. For the wait, the nice lady that I emailed sent me a free dump pouch that works great for free :) I finally got my target and after my initial joy, I noticed that my target was...pretty rough, not what I would expect at the price point. I left a comment on "Military Arms Channel"'s facebook page since I knew he would get back to me faster than Nutnfancy. I took pictures & wanted to know if this was typical and he said it was pretty rough and that he would contact his A.T. rep. I emailed them and one of the guy's that I've seen in Nutn's videos emailed me back apologizing and he sent me an AR550 version of the same one on the house(I had the AR500 target head). I told him that he didn't have to, I just wanted to show them that this rough one came to me & I was disappointed but as long as it was safe to shoot, I'd keep it. He sent it anyways and I sold the original one I had. Would love to order from them again.

MossbergMan
06-24-2012, 9:04 PM
I use LVTarget's steel with great success. Same results, 308 @ 100 yards....chipped the paint only.

Dhena81
06-24-2012, 10:14 PM
I have a their hostage swinger and 2 40% torso evil roy's they've been good. I probably have about 2k rifle rounds and about 4k handgun rounds on mostly the 40% torsos with no pitting. Their not the only game in town though I'm going to probably go with MGM for my next purchase because I want something I can use up close with my rifle 15-50 yards. I've heard good things about Bobcat steel also.

Don the savage
06-24-2012, 10:24 PM
I just ordered a pair of their self healing torso targets. Delivery was very quick, i will post after i get to work on it next week.

Javi
06-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Their not the only game in town though I'm going to probably go with MGM for my next purchase because I want something I can use up close with my rifle 15-50 yards. I've heard good things about Bobcat steel also.

No doubt. What caught my attention by them is that is the great portability of the 'evil roy'. I like that I don't have to have a special target stand that holds a 2x4 piece of wood, nor those really wide cage-like ones that a target can hang from, no exposed bolts, etc. I don't see anything on MGM's site mentioning shooting rifle ammo at that close distance.

Dhena81
06-24-2012, 11:54 PM
No doubt. What caught my attention by them is that is the great portability of the 'evil roy'. I like that I don't have to have a special target stand that holds a 2x4 piece of wood, nor those really wide cage-like ones that a target can hang from, no exposed bolts, etc. I don't see anything on MGM's site mentioning shooting rifle ammo at that close distance.

http://mgmtargets.com/tstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=42

One thing about MGM is free shipping after $250

I understand the no exposed bolts issue that's one of the reasons I went with AT initially also

luchador768
06-25-2012, 7:53 AM
I picked up the torso model at Turners a well. It stood up to baout 400+ rounds of 5.56, 5.45x39, and 7.62x39 with no issues. The base has some pitting from spall. I repainted it with FDE spray paint for the next trip. Cfusionpm send me a PM next time you head out, two targets for no extra funds!

SuperSet
06-25-2012, 8:08 AM
http://mgmtargets.com/tstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=42

One thing about MGM is free shipping after $250

I understand the no exposed bolts issue that's one of the reasons I went with AT initially also

I've shot 3/8" AR500 from 15 yards with my AR and it does leave small pits on the target. It doesnt bother me since it's still safe due to the 30 degree slant. I would have bought the MGM but went local since it ended up being much cheaper and still worked out fine. Note that you will go through some wood though, since the frag pattern deflects it into the wood.

Lucasberg
06-25-2012, 9:19 AM
I bought an AT .22 dueling tree and it is awesome. Next will be a swinging hostage. Steel is so much fun.

Dhena81
06-25-2012, 2:04 PM
I've shot 3/8" AR500 from 15 yards with my AR and it does leave small pits on the target. It doesnt bother me since it's still safe due to the 30 degree slant. I would have bought the MGM but went local since it ended up being much cheaper and still worked out fine. Note that you will go through some wood though, since the frag pattern deflects it into the wood.

Let me know who you went through locally if possible either by this thread or pm since I'm in the market now and I'm looking for steep angled steel to do some close range rifle work with. I understand that the 2x4 would be torn up from frag but I was thinking it would be easier for me to just replace .75 cents of 2x4 than to have to order stands through a vendor. Since stands typically aren't AR steel for cost reasons and the probability of them being shot is high. Mainly because of the type of shooting I plan on doing with different skill level folks the stands will inevitably be shot to s***

SuperSet
06-25-2012, 2:13 PM
Here you go. He's local so I just swung by and picked them up.
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=580502

You can see me shooting some of them in my latest video, towards the end.

thegrayham
08-19-2012, 7:33 PM
I am ordering a pair of the evil Roy targets from these guys. You fellow San Diego guys want to get together some weekend and setup a little course?

Elwood_Blues
08-19-2012, 8:03 PM
I took it with me on my camping trip out in the middle of Ocotillo yesterday.

You went camping in Ocotillo at the end of June? WOW!

I am ordering a pair of the evil Roy targets from these guys. You fellow San Diego guys want to get together some weekend and setup a little course?

Sure, I'd be down. I have one of these I'd bring:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/mustangphil302/Forums/DSC_0001.jpg

cfusionpm
08-19-2012, 10:02 PM
You went camping in Ocotillo at the end of June? WOW!
Wasn't exactly Big Bear.... had about 90-95 and 20-30mph crosswinds. Not so much on the wind in the day, but WIINNDDYY at night. First time overnight so I could take the picture below. Usually I just go out for the day.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9042/galaxyh.jpg

cfusionpm
08-19-2012, 10:03 PM

I'm down! Just as long as its some distance for rifles. Wanna keep that strike face silky smooth.

Elwood_Blues
08-20-2012, 7:26 AM
I'm down! Just as long as its some distance for rifles. Wanna keep that strike face silky smooth.

Yeah, and not till October :D

BTW, that is a really cool shot!

thegrayham
08-21-2012, 9:52 PM
I can't wait to go shoot some steel!