PDA

View Full Version : The best 9mm ar upper???

ACRfan
06-23-2012, 12:43 PM
What is a good 9mm upper for a ar build??

And once I buy the complete upper all I need is a magwell block and 9mm buffer?? Or is there more I need??

MXRider
06-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Colt 6450 would be my vote.

ACRfan
06-23-2012, 1:27 PM
Are all the magwell blocks the same?

bonesurf
06-23-2012, 1:33 PM
Why the colt vs say.....cmmg? Colt seems a lot harder to find. (at least at first glance). Curious about this too

lbrwrx
06-23-2012, 1:33 PM
Would like to know aswell. Was looking at the jsesurplus but could notfind any review for it.
Jse claims it will work with reg ar buffer spring.

OIF_VET
06-23-2012, 4:06 PM
Colt makes a flat top 9mm upper now. The 6951.

Bigedski
06-23-2012, 5:12 PM
Why deal with the magblock and the problems, Get the CMMG dedicated lower as well as the CMMG upper, thats what I did and I love it.

ACRfan
06-23-2012, 5:41 PM
Where can I find a dedicated 9mm lower in SoCal?

bonesurf
06-23-2012, 5:44 PM
I think rifle gear has them

ACRfan
06-23-2012, 7:34 PM
Oh man they do, thanks..

Are the magwell blocks a problem???

bonesurf
06-23-2012, 8:34 PM
Are the magwell blocks a problem???

One of my questions as well. I have an extra lower....cheaper to do a magwell then another lower and no waiting etc

NYY
06-23-2012, 8:44 PM
Why deal with the magblock and the problems, Get the CMMG dedicated lower as well as the CMMG upper, thats what I did and I love it.

i have the same setup. what mags work for you??

1911su16b870
06-23-2012, 9:08 PM
Where can I find a dedicated 9mm lower in SoCal?

Rifle gear has the CMMG-colt magazine lowers and the NEW DD LES Glock17 magazine lowers. Just built one up and they rock. Had a little issue with the bolt catch catching when it shouldn't, but magazine feeding is great. Running a CMMG upper from JSE. Another issue is the bolt will shave a little of the right feed lip off your G17 mag, so I am dedicating a few to this lower.

Lonewolf will mill off a few thousanths of the bolt carrier to alleviate the mag shaving issue.

ACRfan
06-23-2012, 9:11 PM
Are the magwell blocks a problem??

Don29palms
06-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Can someone explain to me why anyone would want to use 9mm in an AR? It's like putting a 4 cylinder in a Corvette. I can understand possibly doing it in a pistol but not really. I don't get it.

ACRfan
06-23-2012, 11:31 PM
It's because in the middle of Ornage county there isn't to many rifle ranges, so if I build another Ar in a pistol caliber I can take it to my local indoor range and still play with my carbine instead of just my pistol, or I can drive a hour and a half in a lifted pickup and spend ammo money in fuel and drive out to burro or the desert..

Capt Jack
06-24-2012, 9:42 AM
Can someone explain to me why anyone would want to use 9mm in an AR? It's like putting a 4 cylinder in a Corvette. I can understand possibly doing it in a pistol but not really. I don't get it.

9mm ARs are a ton of fun at the range is why. A bit softer shooting, cheaper and accurate out to about 100 meters. At my local range, I get to shoot the steel plates which I would not be able to do with a 5.56. Besides, most of these are built by people who already have 5.56 ARs so its just another flavor of BRD, don't fight it...:43:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/2012-05-20124153-2-1.jpg

And they just look cool...
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/2012-05-06101425-1-2.jpg

Here is my recently converted RRA LAR15 lower with a Spikes Tactical magazine block. After initially breaking my bolt catch because I did not use a long enough spacer in the stock, she has run about 700 rounds without any problems. The block did not need any adjustments and I used a good layer of lock tite so I haven't had any movement issues and the ASC 10 round mags work perfectly and hold the bolt open about 99% of the time.

The upper is a RRA 9mm Middy from PK Firearms. About $500 shipped, it is accurate and matches my lower perfectly. Darn near factory RRA 9mm :D

My buddy liked shooting mine so much he bought a CMMG dedicated lower from Joe Bobs and a JSE Surplus upper and has not had any problems. The JSE is the cheapest 9mm upper you can get, about $400, and comes with a ramped Bolt.

For more info on building a 9mm I recommend the pistol caliber AR forum at Arfcom. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/563917_Important_Pistol_Caliber_Threads_.html

bonesurf
06-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Are the magwell blocks a problem??

And do the promag adapters work? A LOT cheaper than the other options

Capt Jack
06-24-2012, 1:06 PM
And do the promag adapters work? A LOT cheaper than the other options

After doing some research and only finding one review where the Promag block broke after some guy bump fired it, I figured it was not worth it since everyone else uses Hahn, RRA, Spikes etc...If it was me, I would just get a dedicated lower or a real metal block. RifleGear had the Spikes for $125 which is where I got mine, also they have ASC mags:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1305-spikes-tactical-9mm-magwell-block.aspx

A 9mm AR is not really a "cheap" thing to build as you should also use a heavier buffer and a 9mm hammer unless you've got a rounded .223 hammer. ALSO, I recommend the KNS anti rotation pins. My conversion cost me $700+ and I already had a complete lower...

bonesurf
06-24-2012, 1:37 PM
Well...given that I was gonna use a LW 15 lower a polymer magwell seemed appropriate.....and I don't really plan on bump firing the thing....I've read people recommending the kns pins with 9mm? Why? Is it really more shake and rattle than 556?

bonesurf
07-12-2012, 5:46 PM
After doing some research and only finding one review where the Promag block broke after some guy bump fired it, I figured it was not worth it since everyone else uses Hahn, RRA, Spikes etc...If it was me, I would just get a dedicated lower or a real metal block. RifleGear had the Spikes for $125 which is where I got mine, also they have ASC mags:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1305-spikes-tactical-9mm-magwell-block.aspx

A 9mm AR is not really a "cheap" thing to build as you should also use a heavier buffer and a 9mm hammer unless you've got a rounded .223 hammer. ALSO, I recommend the KNS anti rotation pins. My conversion cost me $700+ and I already had a complete lower...

Well we will see what happens with this frankenstein build:
LW-15 complete lower (109--laying around)
9mm buffer (30?)
9mm hammer (11?)
Kns pins (27)
Promag magwell (39)--I don't plan on bump firing but it'll be a wasted 40 bux if it breaks
Used ASC mags (got lucky 10)
Blemished BCM upper (80)
JSE SS 16" barrel (105)
Cmmg bolt (150)
Used YHM middy forearm (70)
Extra set of mbus, CH--laying around.

Is there anything I am forgetting? No not real "cheap" but I'm hoping fun

anothergunnut
07-12-2012, 6:55 PM
Another option is the Olympic Arms upper. It uses a standard lower with special magazines instead of a mag block. There was a thread a few months back written by a guy who bought one and was happy with it. Oly also makes them in other calibers; I think 45 and 40 and maybe others.

sseric75
07-12-2012, 7:39 PM
CMMG dedicated lower, Spikes Upper with cmmg bcg and spikes st-t2 buffer with spikes buffer spacer. Since I reload I shoot this thing more than any of my other rifles. Metal form mags are the best. I stuck a wood dowel in the mag and rivet the baseplate to make them 10 rounders.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/sseric75/8540411a.jpg

joelukehart
07-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Another option is the Olympic Arms upper. It uses a standard lower with special magazines instead of a mag block. There was a thread a few months back written by a guy who bought one and was happy with it. Oly also makes them in other calibers; I think 45 and 40 and maybe others.

They also take dirt cheap Sten Mags with a mag well adapter.

Capybara
07-13-2012, 9:16 AM
9mm ARs are great for people who want to take an AR to the local pistol, indoor or 25 yard range. Places like Oak Tree have a really fun shooting gallery sort of handgun range that is also fun with a pistol caliber carbine. 9mm ARs are dirt cheap to shoot. 9mm ARs are fun. I totally get it and want one, but I also have an Uzi carbine that fulfills the same role.

shoebox56
07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
They also take dirt cheap Sten Mags with a mag well adapter.

Hahn Sten Adapter (A9OST0105) doesn't fit well on Olympic lowers unfortunately, but fits well in a actual mil spec lower. Because of the paddle switch to release the Sten mag, maybe not be legal in CA. Thus I stayed with the polymer Olympic 9mm magazine. Absolutely flawless, albeit only 10 rounds :(

I have the complete Olympic K9 AR 9mm, pricey, but absolutely fun.

Olympic variant 9mm uppers are less finicky & work with all AR lowers. Colt/Rock River 9mm variant require a certain type of hammer, DPMS LPK are mentioned to be ideal. Rock Rivers 9mm upper is way better priced though.