PDA

View Full Version : Sun Welding Safe Company...

Crotalus
06-23-2012, 10:51 AM
School me on these safes. I have seen them at gun shows and took a little peek at their website. Looks like a good American made safe.

So any of you out there have one? Know someone who does and has an opinion on their quality?

Thanks in advance!

Capybara
06-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I have had a Sun Welding Pony Express for about 12 years. Great safe, has been good, although the first generation digital lock was getting unreliable so I called them out and they changed it for a newer generations digital lock for $199.00.

Solid piece of gear.

jigenax
06-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Bought mine in 1985, still going strong.

Crotalus
06-23-2012, 1:08 PM
I have had a Sun Welding Pony Express for about 12 years. Great safe, has been good, although the first generation digital lock was getting unreliable so I called them out and they changed it for a newer generations digital lock for $199.00.

Solid piece of gear.

Thanks for the feed back!

How is the new digital lock? I for some reason am a little uneasy about the digitals... What happens if they lose power?

Librarian
06-23-2012, 1:58 PM
Properly designed electric locks have the batteries outside, the electronics and mechanical mechanism inside. If the batteries go flat, they can be replaced, and the combination(s) is/are retained.

russ69
06-23-2012, 2:30 PM
Had mine from about the mid 80s, good safe for the bucks.

joefrank64k
06-23-2012, 4:38 PM
Great safes and the owner is a great guy.

Check their Used Safe section, too. I picked up my Pony Express that way. It had paint damage from a previous shipping, but was otherwise brand-new in every way. I saved $900 over the price of a new one.

Capybara
06-24-2012, 12:54 AM
What Librarian said, digitals are fine and they do retain the combo when the batteries get low. I only change the batteries about every 18 months too. They told me that they had seen issues with the old first gen digital locks, mine would take three or four tries to open. New lock is flawless so far, quieter and smooth and it always opens on the first try.