PDA

View Full Version : SHTF rifle needs

r8dr rider
06-23-2012, 10:06 AM
This isn't a thread to debate what rifle is the best SHTF gun, but rather what does a SHTF rifle needs. Right now this is what I got

-Ammo 500 rounds (grab and go)
-3 mags (plan on getting at least 5)
-Sling (of course)
-Optic (PA red dot, upgrading to Aimpoint soon)
-Flashlight (mounted on rail)
-Cleaning kit

What am I missing?

daveinwoodland
06-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Possibly a few spare parts of items that may break. Firing pin, assorted screws and fasteners specific to the weapon and or others that may be prone to cause a complete failure of function.

paul0660
06-23-2012, 10:18 AM
More ammo and a handgun, imo.

Standard
06-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Contrary to popular opinion, if SHTF comes, you probably won't be getting in hour long gun battles with multiple opponents. Have enough to defend yourself, + a good additional amount for who knows what, and plenty of food, water, shelter provisions, personal hygiene stuff, and medicine.
Basically prepare for a protracted camping trip in which you may be more likely to have to defend yourself from someone wanting something you have.

Legasat
06-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Handgun & knife, and you'll be all set!

Munny$hot
06-23-2012, 10:47 AM
I would suggest, that your optic can co-whitness your iron sights regardless of make, a small dropper of ATF for cleaning/lube, a craftsman flat circular screw driver, extra batteries, required tools to tighten/remove parts/optics/accessories, spare parts that are most likely to fail: extractor, firing pin, springs, o-rings, with all these items placed in small compartments/grip on your rig.

tomd1584
06-23-2012, 11:42 AM
"Zombie Killer" t-shirt.

loosewreck
06-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Ci9dCZEF6Mw

MrPlink
06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Lots of tinfoil...

Ikazamay
06-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Region appropriate camo job? I think a good flash hider would be handy for shtf, can't go wrong with extra 550 cord.

Would it be okay to attack the bullet button tool that removes the block on the release on the sling or rifle in a way that doesn't make it easy access? Like buttock or grip compartment.

ckyrulez
06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Don't forget to stock up on Beef Jerky. You'll need to keep your strength up.

Cato
06-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Handgun & knife, and you'll be all set!

Handgun is a good choice because if you're walking around with an "assault rifle" you will just make yourself a target. A handgun you can conceal.

arslin
06-23-2012, 1:04 PM
Just thinking. Rather than a rail mounted light, what is wrong with a headlamp? I do not like putting gear on the front of my weapon to add weight.

laabstract
06-23-2012, 2:20 PM
Ammo and lots of training.

TreeHugger
06-23-2012, 2:54 PM
This isn't a thread to debate what rifle is the best SHTF gun, but rather what does a SHTF rifle needs. Right now this is what I got

-Sling (of course)
-Cleaning kit

What am I missing?

A horny chick!

romeo26
06-23-2012, 2:57 PM
I would say parts to get rid of the BB! Also some 30 rnd rebuild kits. buis with a optic. batteries. And ammo.

Dhena81
06-23-2012, 3:38 PM
A holy bible in Braille an HK45 and some ray bans

MUKAK
06-23-2012, 6:36 PM
Handgun is a good choice because if you're walking around with an "assault rifle" you will just make yourself a target. A handgun you can conceal.

yes handgun or 2 is a must.. actually a handgun for each one of your family members that will be with u...

having a AR/AK over your shoulder will deff make u a target..... if SHTF actually happen i will have my AR in 2 pieces in my backpack for just in case.......... ill rely on my Hguns

DasBoost
06-23-2012, 7:30 PM
My 'SHTF Bag' for my Mini includes:

-Magazines (6 right now, probably will be 8) with the Tapco Rubber Dust Covers
-Ammo on stripper clips in the 30rd cardboard boxes
-Mini 14 metal stripper clip guides (2x) and a StripLULA
-Tube of white lithium grease
-Dropper bottle of gun cleaner
-.223/5.56 boresnake
-Small microfiber cloth
-Small multitool
-Lens cleaner/Glasses wipes

Only glaring downside: NO SPARE PARTS. Because bolts have to be lapped and fitted to each receiver, even firing pins, you have to send the rifle to Ruger for any repairs. However, PU has devised some ways of getting around this and getting spare parts.

This bag can either be carried on its own or thrown in my BOB. Currently, with the S*** a comfortable distance away from the fan, it serves as a hold-all for everything for the Mini. In the pack, the rifle goes in the scabbard and the part of the scabbard that is normally seen hanging down is covered by my bedroll in front of it.

EddieEd
06-23-2012, 9:24 PM
As you said “SHTF gun” I’m assuming you do have the other stuff cover (a BOB and survival gear)

Spare parts as someone already said is something to think about. A small light handgun and knife is also a good idea.
If you are holding your ground you’ll need way more mags and bullets.
If you are making a run for it remember most people wont get a few block with the weight of 500 rds .223 plus about 80lbs of survival gear and any other extra stuff you think you might need and think you can carry by yourself. Lifting 250lbs of weights in the gym and trying to walk a few miles with a 100lbs is a BIG difference.

Some people think they are going to carry 3 or 4 guns and tons of ammo, that’s nuts, you’ll be an easy slow moving target if you’re moving at all. Again if you are standing your ground then yes, but mobile, fast, light and durable is the way to go so equip accordingly.

artoaster
06-23-2012, 9:32 PM
Handi-Wipes for SHTF, you'll need 'em.

DasBoost
06-23-2012, 9:38 PM
As you said “SHTF gun” I’m assuming you do have the other stuff cover (a BOB and survival gear)

Spare parts as someone already said is something to think about. A small light handgun and knife is also a good idea.
If you are holding your ground you’ll need way more mags and bullets.
If you are making a run for it remember most people wont get a few block with the weight of 500 rds .223 plus about 80lbs of survival gear and any other extra stuff you think you might need and think you can carry by yourself. Lifting 250lbs of weights in the gym and trying to walk a few miles with a 100lbs is a BIG difference.

Some people think they are going to carry 3 or 4 guns and tons of ammo, that’s nuts, you’ll be an easy slow moving target if you’re moving at all. Again if you are standing your ground then yes, but mobile, fast, light and durable is the way to go so equip accordingly.

Oh yeah, that's just what I have for the Mini. I have a separate BOB and Bug-In provisions, as well as pistols and other firearms. I was sticking to "SHTF Rifle Needs" and covering just that. Plan is to stay put and work off provisions there, but if that goes south, I grab BOB and drop/redistribute some items and go.

sholling
06-24-2012, 12:24 AM

-Sling (of course)
-Cleaning kit

What am I missing?
500rds is probably plenty unless you expect several gun battles (unlikely). I'd add 6 or 10 mags for a total of 9 or 13 for a total of 8 or 12 spares and one in your weapon the reason being that most chest pouches hold 8 or 12.
I'd consider a low powered scope mounted in a high quality quick disconnect mount. A true 1x low-end makes for a decent CQB sight while 3-4x at the high end will help put food on the table.
Handgun and holster with at least two spare mags and pouches.
And inexpensive 22LR and 1000rds to put rabbit and squirrels on the table.
1st aid and trauma kit
a bug out bag with supplies for 7 days, and a bug-in kit with food for 90 days or more and water for at least 2 week.

ThePerfectExposure
06-24-2012, 4:58 AM
You guys sound like you are preparing for a Mexican drug cartel to raid your house in Sinaloa. If that is the case, a one or two man army isn't going to stop them...

baih777
06-24-2012, 5:30 AM
A horny chick!

LOL

rogervzv
06-24-2012, 5:44 AM
Contrary to popular opinion, if SHTF comes, you probably won't be getting in hour long gun battles with multiple opponents. Have enough to defend yourself, + a good additional amount for who knows what, and plenty of food, water, shelter provisions, personal hygiene stuff, and medicine.
Basically prepare for a protracted camping trip in which you may be more likely to have to defend yourself from someone wanting something you have.

This is pretty much what I think. I can imagine a scenario where there is no food or water available for 4-8 weeks and things breaks down. You will want to have stored food and water and sufficient firearms to protect them from those who did not prepare themselves.

So I recommend:
1. .223 rifle, 500 rounds of ammo, several magazines. Rifle should have a good red dot sight.
2. A large caliber handgun.
3. A concealable handgun.
4. Lots of ammo for your handguns.
5. Canned and freeze dried foods.
6. A source of water.
7. A means to purify water.
8. A battery operated radio. I am a radio ham, so I have a 2-way shortwave capability that can be operated by battery.

EddieEd
06-24-2012, 8:47 AM
You guys sound like you are preparing for a Mexican drug cartel to raid your house in Sinaloa. If that is the case, a one or two man army isn't going to stop them...

Well the claymores buried in the yard will help with the Cartel if they try and invade. :p
Hmmm…. :shifty: That reminds me, I have to replant a few the dog step on yesterday. :43:

Sheepdog1968
06-24-2012, 9:13 AM
Make sure you take plenty of training classes to learn how to use it.

RGERBER
06-24-2012, 9:37 AM
MP-15-22 a few mags and a couple of bricks of ammo should fit in my pocket no problem, also my Glock with .22 conversion kit

I can shoot eyes out at 50 yrds with that MP-15-22

fighterpilot562
06-24-2012, 9:39 AM
I agree, spare parts and tools to fix. Cant shoot a broken gun.

bighead
06-24-2012, 10:37 AM
I would pack some frozen burritos and tapatio.Eventually I would take a microwave by force and enjoy my burritos whilst I maintained a code red state of readiness.Also some mtn dew.

BigBamBoo
06-24-2012, 10:46 AM
This is my "traveling gun" set up (I take it when I am traveling and plan on being away from home for more then a day) and mt grab-n-go mag holder. Would work very well for SHTF I would think.
With one in the rifle and 8 in holder that's 270 rounds in a handy package. Not sure about 500 rounds of ammo. Thats a lot for mobile (assuming on foot) SHTF carrying.
Along with my handgun and 4 loaded mags for it plus a backpack....your humping quite a bit of weight.

Had a friend who was all caught up in SHTF stuff :TFH: and has this great pack, guns, etc. He asked me what I thought....I looked it over. Hefted the pack....and mind you I am 6'2" 210 lbs., and work out regularly...I told him put it on and walk to the store on the corner (about 4 blocks) and back. After about 45 min. I went looking for him. He was at the store sitting on the curb!
Waaaayyyyyyy to heavy to carry any distance.

Anyways....the perfect rifle/pistol for ANY situation is one that your proficient with and is VERY reliable. Don't get caught up in the tacticool aspect of gear. Sure...cool gear is...well...cool. And I have some pretty cool gear myself. But if it ever hits the fan I don't care if it is a single shot rifle or handgun as long as I know it will go boom when I squeeze the trigger is the important thing.

Good luck on your search for the perfect SHTF rifle.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9043/dsc00359copyb.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/dsc00359copyb.jpg/)

gotshotgun?
06-24-2012, 11:01 AM
What ar mag pouch is that?

BigBamBoo
06-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Here ya go: http://olongapooutfitters.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=9 They make all sorts of cool stuff.

bob7122
06-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Frog lube, CLP, 6-8 mags- 2 of them 10 rounders so when you need to go prone, just imo, for the cleaning kit include a collapsible rod, some extra parts that might break, and important to buy a solar charger that can charge batteries and other tech. you can get them online and they can go on your pack, back, strap it to your leg, even your hat so your stuff charges with sunlight as you walk and stuff. remember a reusable water purifier goes a long way. water tablets, and if possible trash bags heavy duty and as many as you can or want,- serves as insulation, cover/shelter, catches water, holds stuff. remember if it cant serve 3 or more jobs it better be worth the single task you need it for. flash light, some super strong antibiotics from mexico... or fish antibiotics... if legal... baby wipes with alcohol. multitool/ pocket knife.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS3Pru4Kzag8JcJm9js5FVnQug2ZQkS ZGHxilYP2cZh5a5aCxz7ghttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTa9gf5IuCFuwkFn-Vgjx_k46Fmo5iFnNaBRkthjTPWymAbW4Tj

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcnMoZhBvF6Z5kKlw1dk9aA8LVqlIhP g3SGyh0zBw2OeJTJmriBQ

Agent 0range
06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
IMHO, the AR is a far superior weapon than the AK! :devil2:

drifter2be
06-24-2012, 12:19 PM

-Sling (of course)
-Cleaning kit

What am I missing?

I'd say a good set of back up iron sights, because optics can fail and/or run out of batteries, not saying it will, but if you are being prepared why not be PREPARED. More magazines, and you should have several stored and loaded so you aren't wasting time trying to load magazines after the SHTF has already started. 500 rounds sounds about right, to me anyway.

luchador768
06-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Big bam boo, you must have a lot of faith in that optic...

Sig Sauerkraut
06-24-2012, 12:26 PM

-Sling (of course)
-Cleaning kit

What am I missing?

What are you missing? Just some S and an F to hit it with.

r8dr rider
06-24-2012, 3:17 PM
IMHO, the AR is a far superior weapon than the AK! :devil2:

LMAO! Good one.

Anyway, thx for those with some input on the original question. As expected this thread went off topic as most threads do.

I'll just dump the rifle and go with a SHTF machete.

BigBamBoo
06-24-2012, 4:14 PM
Big bam boo, you must have a lot of faith in that optic...

I do. I am not a mall ninja. I believe in preparedness, but am not :TFH: SHTF prepper.

I take it you know little or nothing about this optic? It is VERY robust. Used by many folks in the military, LE, and carried for three deployments by a buddy of mine as a contractor in Iraq where he had THREE Eotech's crap out on him. Also used quite a bit in three gun.

It uses a etched reticle and does not rely on batteries, though it does have illumination that is daylight bright.

So...yes...for me it does the job I need it do. I am at a age where end of the world fantasies do not excite me. I worry about real issues at hand.

So...your turn. Tell me/us why YOU would not out faith in this optic? And what do you put faith in? Iron sights? Hmm...when I was in the Army I knocked the front sight off a A2...yes...jump over a obstacle and came down on some rocks. Went @ss over tea kettle down a small embankment.
After picking myself up and doing an inventory of my self and gear I then noticed the whole front sight was was cocked over at a 45* angle and it had moved forward about 1/2". Pulling the gas tube along with it. Rendering the rifle pretty much useless. And guess what? I had no sidearm back then.

zfields
06-24-2012, 4:42 PM
Which optic is that, sounds a lot like the new Leupold HAMR, but doesnt look like it.

Either way, I wouldn't mind a set of flip up backup sights also.

fcr
06-24-2012, 4:53 PM
A good .22 for rabbit hunting. Ruger would be the best choice, just like a Glock, they are like roaches, find parts everywhere.
If you are in the city then you have a choice of bird shot or .410 for sparrows and rats with wings(pigeons).

BigBamBoo
06-24-2012, 5:08 PM
Which optic is that, sounds a lot like the new Leupold HAMR, but doesnt look like it.

Either way, I wouldn't mind a set of flip up backup sights also.

Info here: http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/prismatic-riflescope/prismatic-1x14mm-tactical-illum-reticle/

The Virus
06-24-2012, 5:32 PM
SHTF rifle needs ammo..

luchador768
06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Boo, I that's how you want to run your gun, more power to you. I do the oposite and have irons only on 95% of my guns so we're both kinda on the same page. I've seen just about every optic and iron sight fail at one point or another. I'm most comfortable with irons so that's pretty much all I run. I have an EoTech that gets passed between 7 AR's. The four AK's are irons only, as well as the M1a's.

Your contractor buddy didn't go into a two way range with that optic only did he?

My point, as well as yours, is that everything breaks, even fairly stout irons. I wasn't trying to micturate in your circular toasted oats.

Vacaville
06-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Spare ammo on the gun. I've got a buttstock carrier on mine.

J.D.Allen
06-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Like buttock or grip compartment.

My buttock compartment is always with me, no matter where I go... :D

BigBamBoo
06-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Boo, I that's how you want to run your gun, more power to you. I do the oposite and have irons only on 95% of my guns so we're both kinda on the same page. I've seen just about every optic and iron sight fail at one point or another. I'm most comfortable with irons so that's pretty much all I run. I have an EoTech that gets passed between 7 AR's. The four AK's are irons only, as well as the M1a's.

Your contractor buddy didn't go into a two way range with that optic only did he?

My point, as well as yours, is that everything breaks, even fairly stout irons. I wasn't trying to micturate in your circular toasted oats.

No worries...I did not mean to come across as an @ss (I generally do from time time though).

Yes...that was a buying point for me is that was his stand alone optic of choice for his carbine. And it survived much abuse.
But remember...he was part of a team. And he carried two sidearms as well as a bunch of "back up" rifles in their trucks.

And for SHTF I think people get this lone gunman fantasy in their head. Folks need to realize that they probably would not last very long on their own. Having a group of folks with LOTS of fire power is the way to roll. So if yours or your buddies gun, optics, etc., goes down there is still folks in the fight.

I have CCW and carry daily. And keep an old beater 30-30 in the truck. So I do not solely rely on any one firearm. And again...I have lived through some stuff in my life and the whole end of the world thing is lost on me. Just not my thing.

Take care,Stan

gun toting monkeyboy
06-25-2012, 11:49 AM
For your basics, you seem to have it pretty well covered. I would have extra batteries for the light and red dot. And the spare parts. Other than that, it looks like you are fine. Though 500 rounds would be a tad heavy if you had to go anywhere.

luchador768
06-25-2012, 11:53 AM
No worries! That's a pretty damn good endorsement for that optic if you ask me! Every one who fought in WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam only had one sighting system in battle! I'm not big on the whole SHTF thing either, just a regular guy with a few guns who shoots a lot.

glock7
06-26-2012, 6:30 AM

and stay away from people who have the shakes....and if you can find a mila kunis....

glock7
06-26-2012, 6:35 AM
This is my "traveling gun" set up (I take it when I am traveling and plan on being away from home for more then a day) and mt grab-n-go mag holder. Would work very well for SHTF I would think.
With one in the rifle and 8 in holder that's 270 rounds in a handy package. Not sure about 500 rounds of ammo. Thats a lot for mobile (assuming on foot) SHTF carrying.
Along with my handgun and 4 loaded mags for it plus a backpack....your humping quite a bit of weight.

Had a friend who was all caught up in SHTF stuff :TFH: and has this great pack, guns, etc. He asked me what I thought....I looked it over. Hefted the pack....and mind you I am 6'2" 210 lbs., and work out regularly...I told him put it on and walk to the store on the corner (about 4 blocks) and back. After about 45 min. I went looking for him. He was at the store sitting on the curb!

Anyways....the perfect rifle/pistol for ANY situation is one that your proficient with and is VERY reliable. Don't get caught up in the tacticool aspect of gear. Sure...cool gear is...well...cool. And I have some pretty cool gear myself. But if it ever hits the fan I don't care if it is a single shot rifle or handgun as long as I know it will go boom when I squeeze the trigger is the important thing.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9043/dsc00359copyb.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/dsc00359copyb.jpg/)

agreed, carry what you can carry. very nice rig, what is the weight of that rifle? i am planning to build a high speed, low drag kind of rig.

H2O MAN
06-26-2012, 6:45 AM
... very nice rig, what is the weight of that rifle?

Agreed and yes, what does it weigh?

ZX-10R
06-26-2012, 6:53 AM
Firstly it needs to be an AK pattern
- A lot of ammo...I wouyld have no less than 6 people
- Extra parts
- Light and spare batteries...Not 1 spare...at least 5.
- Bayo...
- Optics for hunting and more precise shooting
Lastly and most importantly...It must absolutely have to be an AK pattern.
=)

zfields
06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Firstly it needs to be an AK pattern....

=)

Amen brother

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

zfields
06-26-2012, 10:35 AM
and stay away from people who have the shakes....and if you can find a mila kunis....

Mmmmmm mila kunis.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

H2O MAN
06-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Firstly it needs to be an AK pattern
-
-
-
-

=)

In a situation as described by the OP a 7.62x39 AKM with a 75 or 100 round drum would be nice

ClarenceBoddicker
06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Ditch the flashlight from your rifle. Why make yourself an easy target?

Get a Night Vision Scope that is not cheap commercial Russian junk. Get the best you can afford, but even US military 1st gen stuff like an AN/PVS-2 is better than nothing. Make sure you have spare batteries or rechargeable ones & a solar charger. Whatever optics you use, don't make the iron sights not usable. Learn how to hit stuff with your iron sights. Optics can fail/break, but it's hard to damage iron sights.

More high quality magazines. You should keep most of your ammo loaded in mags that are stored on your web gear. That way you can ditch your heavy pack & still have what you need to fight on your body.

the86d
06-26-2012, 12:47 PM
500 rounds of 55gr. .223 would be about 12.5ish lbs.
7.62 is about 44% (AVG?) more weight for the same amount of ammo (@18ish lbs).

If you add the weight of water, a pistol, mags (pistol and rifle), rifle weight, etc... I'd go with the AR, parts are more readily available. .223 is more plentiful than 7.62x39 and would be easier to find/trade if one was to run out. :) 9mm for pistol is also a good option: lighter ammo than .40, or .45, and it too is more readily available, so finding 9mm in case of said event would increase chances. I have never taken an AK apart, but I know I can swap an AR BCG in seconds (includes bolt, carrier, extractor, AND firing pin)...

After reviewing a video of an AK, the BCG swap would be almost as fast as an AR, but parts would still be harder to find. :)

Vgr3kTU68uw

stix213
06-26-2012, 6:08 PM
I say it all depends on what kind/duration of SHTF you encounter as to what you'll need, and if you bail or stay put. I think people focus far too much on the gun and not enough on the other supplies. Extra water is probably going to end up far more important than extra ammo.

glock7
06-26-2012, 6:54 PM
Nothing wrong with a PA optic. Over 6k rounds and 2 carbine classes and it runs well. No problems, so far. Aimpoint is nice but while you're saving up for one, the PA is a very nice and affordable option. As far as buggin out with a boat load of ammo I don't think you'll need that much. I won't anyways, I believe in escape evade and as a last resort engage. Food and water is what I'd be worried about. And getting to a safe place if it does happen. For me having a rifle and a couple of pistols to conceal should do nicely.

zfields
06-26-2012, 7:51 PM
Info here: http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/prismatic-riflescope/prismatic-1x14mm-tactical-illum-reticle/

Ah yea, I remember seeing that one. Pretty damn solid looking.

surplus-addict
06-26-2012, 8:17 PM
MP-15-22 a few mags and a couple of bricks of ammo should fit in my pocket no problem, also my Glock with .22 conversion kit

I can shoot eyes out at 50 yrds with that MP-15-22

DEAR GOD IT'S, ITS...... GUNKID!!!!!!!
RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!

http://multigun.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/the-return-of-gunkid/

Ripon83
06-26-2012, 10:52 PM
22 conversion kit....drop 300 rnds of 223 and add 525 of 22

Maddog5150
06-27-2012, 1:44 AM

I see tac'd out fat guys at the range getting winded walking up to change their targets. I can only imagine how they are going to do carrying all that gear and ammo. I've seen lists calgunners put on their BOB in the outdoors forum (used to be an outdoors section here anyways, now its a SHTF and Financial section :rolleyes:) a stove! YES A ****ING CAMPING STOVE FOR THEIR BOB! Going to be a lot of easy targets for raider groups at first....
speaking of which, anyone want to join mine? We're going to have hookers and blackjack.

anymoose
06-27-2012, 2:07 AM
a mag magnet.

scglock
06-27-2012, 3:39 AM

:rofl2:

RGERBER
06-27-2012, 6:27 AM
DEAR GOD IT'S, ITS...... GUNKID!!!!!!!
RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!

http://multigun.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/the-return-of-gunkid/

I never heard of him !!! maybe you are the Internet Troll

Tacobandit
06-27-2012, 6:36 AM
You need to have a SHTF tac vest all set up, I have one with 2 additional AR mags, 3 pistol mags and a cross draw holster for my pistol, my mags fit either my glock 30 or glock 21 and it has slots for additional shot gun shells and rifle rounds. Have it hanging by your BOB and put it on first. That way you have more room in the BOB for food/meds/batteries etc.

SOMIS 13
06-27-2012, 9:13 AM
dont forget: never let your toyotas fuel tank get below half empty
or half full depending on how you view it.

ZX-10R
06-27-2012, 4:31 PM
In a situation as described by the OP a 7.62x39 AKM with a 75 or 100 round drum would be nice

Definitely but the weight would be heavy...However firepower trumps weight.

the_t0ny
06-27-2012, 6:12 PM
SKS with stripper clips, no need to worry about mags and as long as your not engaging in a firefight, you're probably not going to need more than 10 rounds at a time.

Xedd
06-27-2012, 6:50 PM
look for green herbs http://images.wikia.com/residentevil/images/8/8a/G_herb.jpg it takes 3 of them for full effect or mix in a red herb http://images.wikia.com/residentevil/images/e/ec/Re3red.jpg if you find blue herb http://images.wikia.com/residentevil/images/5/5d/Reblue.jpg you can mix these in to get a poison cleansing effect and oh ya watch out for those damn dogs :D

fendter
07-01-2012, 7:58 PM

Hi BigBamBoo,

I like your clean set up. Would you mind sharing who the manufacturer of your lower, upper, and stck is?

Thanks

Kodachrome
07-01-2012, 8:20 PM
If you are going to rely on optics then back up iron sights on a one o'clock cant would do nicely.
How about some 100MPH tape?

cal3gunner
07-01-2012, 8:39 PM

babbytenders
07-01-2012, 8:59 PM
A horny chick!

+++1

Readytoroll
07-01-2012, 9:01 PM
After humping heavy packs for way too long I embraced ultralight backpacking. Check out Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking, the bible for ultralighters. By reducing the weight of your survival needs in the pack you will be able to carry more on the defense side. It makes me laugh what some of these guys think they will be able to carry in their SHTF bags

BigBamBoo
07-01-2012, 9:13 PM
Hi BigBamBoo,

I like your clean set up. Would you mind sharing who the manufacturer of your lower, upper, and stck is?

Thanks

The upper is a JP PSC-11 with a 14 1/2" barrel (pinned FH to make it 16"). "scope" is a Leupold tactical prismatic 1X. Lower is a Seekins with a AR Gold trigger. Stock is a Ace Socom. Fun, light, and handy.

EddieEd
07-01-2012, 9:38 PM
The upper is a JP PSC-11 with a 14 1/2" barrel (pinned FH to make it 16"). "scope" is a Leupold tactical prismatic 1X. Lower is a Seekins with a AR Gold trigger. Stock is a Ace Socom. Fun, light, and handy.

Just check there site, I'm really liking this one: mark-4-1-3x14mm-cqt/ (http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-cqt-riflescopes/mark-4-1-3x14mm-cqt/)

Sight with or without power, plus the extra x3 for a little distance. Just the cost is up there.

Ripon83
07-01-2012, 9:41 PM
If I have to hoof it then screw it I'll stay home and thin the heard for you guys as best I can....

To bug out requires the the right SUV / PU or at the very least a Cessna....then I'll go and can carry plenty.

After humping heavy packs for way too long I embraced ultralight backpacking. Check out Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking, the bible for ultralighters. By reducing the weight of your survival needs in the pack you will be able to carry more on the defense side. It makes me laugh what some of these guys think they will be able to carry in their SHTF bags

Mojaveman
07-01-2012, 9:51 PM

-Sling (of course)
-Cleaning kit

What am I missing?

In addition to your grab and go 500 rounds, another 500 to 1,000 buried somewhere. A small parts kit, possibly a few tools. A tourniquet and some compression bandages and other medical supplies. A strobe light or signal mirror. I could go on...

TNP'R
07-01-2012, 9:58 PM
An Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 so you can carry your rifle on your back and have supplies and ammo with you.

cal3gunner
07-01-2012, 9:59 PM

a1fabweld
07-02-2012, 2:31 PM
Multiple strippers to load mags, clean guns, cook, hunt, lap dance, & some other stuff.