PDA

View Full Version : HK94/MP5 stocks and OAL?

gat
06-23-2012, 3:37 AM
I don't think I completely understand how the OAL works with regards to removable rifle stocks. I've been looking at HK94 clones and the standard fixed A2 stock easily meets the 30" OAL requirement, but it is removable without tools (via a push pin) and the rifle can be fired with the stock removed. Does this make the rifle an AW? I would never shoot it without the stock, but what if I removed the stock for cleaning? Would an LEO remove the stock to measure the OAL? What do other people with HK94 clones do?

tonelar
06-23-2012, 5:22 AM
I don't think I completely understand how the OAL works with regards to removable rifle stocks. I've been looking at HK94 clones and the standard fixed A2 stock easily meets the 30" OAL requirement, but it is removable without tools (via a push pin) and the rifle can be fired with the stock removed. Does this make the rifle an AW? I would never shoot it without the stock, but what if I removed the stock for cleaning? Would an LEO remove the stock to measure the OAL? What do other people with HK94 clones do?

Are you talking about the horizontal pin(s?) that hold the stock to the receiver? It's been a long time since I had an HK94 in hand, but doesn't the stock assembly also hold the main spring, bcg and back of the lower receiver in place?

Good luck shooting it with the stock removed.

Quiet
06-23-2012, 5:49 AM
Are you talking about the horizontal pin(s?) that hold the stock to the receiver? It's been a long time since I had an HK94 in hand, but doesn't the stock assembly also hold the main spring, bcg and back of the lower receiver in place?

Good luck shooting it with the stock removed.

You are correct.
Shoot a HK94/MP5 without a stock or endcap attached and you'll get the BCG in your face.

tonelar
06-23-2012, 6:00 AM
OAL in CA is measured with any folding or telescoping stocks stowed. Federally, OAL is measured witn stocks deployed.

Actually... Was there a time when CA law defined OAL differently? I bought an UZI carbine in the 80's and it was less than 26" with the stock folded.

nitroxdiver
06-23-2012, 6:06 AM
As stated, 91,93,94 won't function without a stock or end cap. Where you do have to be careful is installing the collapsible or folding stock on one. On a standard bbl length 91 or clone, the collapsible is still over 30" when collapsed so your gtg. On a ptr91k with the shorter bbl, you'd need to add a longer muzzle device if running collapsible.

tonelar
06-23-2012, 6:18 AM
I believe the 94s are all pretty much 16" so Gat's going to keep his A2 stock (if he does end up buying one).

Quiet
06-23-2012, 7:05 AM
OAL in CA is measured with any folding or telescoping stocks stowed. Federally, OAL is measured witn stocks deployed.

Actually... Was there a time when CA law defined OAL differently? I bought an UZI carbine in the 80's and it was less than 26" with the stock folded.

Well, the court case (People v Rooney) that brought about measuring with stock collapsed/folded was decided upon in 1993 and was about an arrest that occurred in 1991.

chsk9
06-23-2012, 8:37 AM

What HK94 clone are you looking at?

gat
06-23-2012, 1:32 PM
Shoot, I obviously missed something in the parts diagram I was looking at. It looked like the stock was hollow and the whole thing fell off with a push of a pin, but I guess I'm wrong. Thanks guys!

Does this change for an A3 style stock? I was thinking I could get it converted somehow to meet the minimum OAL when closed (maybe put a longer butt-pad on?) but that still makes the stock part removable without removing the end-cap, and that would get it under 30"? Without the A3 stock (but with the end-cap) does it become a pistol?

chsk9, I'm not sure yet, still doing my research!

TZL
06-23-2012, 2:11 PM
Not exact measurements, my hk94 clone isn't handy, but here is what I recall

With the a3 metal sliding stock, it was 27.5" collapsed, so I had to put two rivets in to keep it at the first notch for >30" oal

You can try to find a 2.6" buttpad, but it would be super ugly

With a UMP folder, it's 26" folded, so in CA you would need to pin it

These are with a 16" bbl

I'm getting another mp5 clone next month, gonna build this one featureless with a fixed ump stock and grip wrap so I can used preban 30's

gat
06-23-2012, 2:53 PM
TZL, is the fixed UMP stock shorter than the A2 stock? The A2 stock seems a little big to me!

redcliff
06-23-2012, 3:18 PM
Not exact measurements, my hk94 isn't handy, but here is what I recall

With the a3 metal sliding stock, it was 27.5" collapsed, so I had to put two rivets in to keep it at the first notch for >30" oal
You can try to find a 2.6" buttpad, but it would be super ugly

With a UMP folder, it's 26" folded, so in CA you would need to pin it

These are with a 16" bbl

I'm getting another mp5 clone next month, gonna build this one featureless with a fixed ump stock and grip wrap so I can used preban 30's

Since HK94's are listed assault weapons, if its registerred as such it can be 26" o.a.l. with stock collapsed. Or did you mean HK94 type clone?

TZL
06-23-2012, 7:04 PM
It's a converted Turkish at94 clone...not actual listed hk94

Since HK94's are listed assault weapons, if its registerred as such it can be 26" o.a.l. with stock collapsed. Or did you mean HK94 type clone?

TZL
06-23-2012, 7:07 PM
I dunno, I don't have an A2 stock

TZL, is the fixed UMP stock shorter than the A2 stock? The A2 stock seems a little big to me!

chsk9
06-23-2012, 8:38 PM
It's a converted Turkish at94 clone...not actual listed hk94

For what its worth, the AT94P is the way to go for a HK94 clone. They are made on HK licensed machines in Turkey. Mine has worked 100% out of the box, and has been 100% with the 922r parts so I can slap a A2 stock on it.
Custom built clones are also available if funds permit. Check out HKPRO forums for a wealth of info.