PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 not racking properly. jammed?

Lexustech48
06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Hi all. Was at the range tonight having some fun and blowin off some steam. Rifle fired well, then switched to my Mossberg 500.

Was firing Winchester Super Targets. Got about 9 shots through it and then as I racked back to eject the spent shell, it got stuck in the rearward position. Im thinking "Oh cr*p" .... After screwing with it for a few minutes, i was able to free the pump up. Decided that I wasnt chancing firing a malfunctioning gun so i started to cycle through to get all ammo out. Damn thing was jamming everytime I racked back. Once I cleared all the ammo, it racked ok for a few pumps. loaded a shell to try and cycle it and it jammed trying to eject the live shell.

I put my Mossy away semi disgusted. Lol my one gun that was supposed to save my *** no matter what has failed.

Has ANYONE ever encountered something like this? I just got it so if i cant figure out whats wrong to fix it, Ill have to take her in for warranty work.

Travis590A1
06-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Did you clean it before you shot it? Winchester ammo can be a pain at times. I've had some shells expand to far and it caused the action to lock up. I had to use a little extra muscle! Also there is a screw inside the reciever directly in the middle in the reciever (when the ejection port is open) make sure the screw is tight and flush, if not it can and will cause jams. I suggest purchasing some dummy rounds then cleaning it very well and then try and cycle it.

shellslinger
06-23-2012, 8:47 AM
You should take it apart and put it back together perhaps the shell elevator is binding up

CK_32
06-23-2012, 8:52 AM
Did you clean it before you shot it? Winchester ammo can be a pain at times. I've had some shells expand to far and it caused the action to lock up. I had to use a little extra muscle! Also there is a screw inside the reciever directly in the middle in the reciever (when the ejection port is open) make sure the screw is tight and flush, if not it can and will cause jams. I suggest purchasing some dummy rounds then cleaning it very well and then try and cycle it.

But that's only with 870s... All other guns eat Winchester like candy! Remington must have something to do with it If that's the case :rolleyes:

Lexustech48
06-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Ill be tearing her down, probably within the hour. Ill check the screw (know exactly which one you guys are talking about). But I *think* it may be the shell elevator. Haha if I cant figure it out, Im glad I have warranty on it! :D

shellslinger
06-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Ill be tearing her down, probably within the hour. Ill check the screw (know exactly which one you guys are talking about). But I *think* it may be the shell elevator. Haha if I cant figure it out, Im glad I have warranty on it! :D

Awesome, if you need help feel free to ask.

Lexustech48
06-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Well, I found the problem. Frankly Im shocked. As you can see in the attached pics, it looks like a pin in the bolt assembly cracked and caused a misalignment of the extractor (?... the pivoted part on top of the bolt assembly). looks like that was causing the bolt to bind when racked to the rear. Of course, i guess anything would jam if you HAD A CHUNK OF METAL BREAK OFF AND JAM IN YOUR ACTION. lol :TFH:

Ill have to run it over to Duncans Gunworks in San Marcos today. Ill call them to see if they want it in pieces or reassembled.

those damn Super light target loads from Winchester was the straw that broke the camels back!

mikey357
06-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Well, I found the problem. Frankly Im shocked. As you can see in the attached pics, it looks like a pin in the bolt assembly cracked and caused a misalignment of the extractor (?... the pivoted part on top of the bolt assembly). looks like that was causing the bolt to bind when racked to the rear. Of course, i guess anything would jam if you HAD A CHUNK OF METAL BREAK OFF AND JAM IN YOUR ACTION. lol :TFH:

Ill have to run it over to Duncans Gunworks in San Marcos today. Ill call them to see if they want it in pieces or reassembled.

those damn Super light target loads from Winchester was the straw that broke the camels back!

I often read comparisons between various makes and models of shotguns. This has been mentioned on THR. One poster claimed that he could break a mossy 500 by slamming the action a few times. The bolt pin was the weakest point in the 500. Appears to be some truth to his claim.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-18566.html

Lexustech48
06-23-2012, 4:30 PM
Well she is fixed. I took it in to Duncans. I had two choices, send it out with a projected turn around time of about 2 months. OR pay 5 bucks for the part and they just put it in for me (I went there with the bolt already removed from the gun.) 5 bucks well spent. =)

Havent been to the range yet, Ill wait till I have more ammo stocked up for a range day. But so far after getting her back together, she racks, the pin fires, and the safety works. Till I have her back out at the range though, my AR will be my primary till then.

wjc
06-23-2012, 4:36 PM
If it's the pin you might want to find out if someone makes an after market version made of better quality metal.

Lexustech48
06-23-2012, 6:19 PM
Ill have to do that. I certainly dont want this issue to return. All the other parts seemed to be ok.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-23-2012, 7:08 PM
i agree with the others...take it apart, clean, lube, and put it back.

mikey357
06-23-2012, 8:03 PM
If it's the pin you might want to find out if someone makes an after market version made of better quality metal.

Looking around for one but no luck. It appears that the 590 uses the same pin as the 500. Midway list them as the same. Strange, that the 590 does not have the same problem. With the millions of 500 out there, I dont hear of this being a common problem. Maybe just an occasional bad pin.

Travis590A1
06-23-2012, 8:25 PM
2000+ rounds of misc buckshot, slugs, and birdshot and not 1 problem in my 590a1 ;)

Lexustech48
06-24-2012, 12:28 AM
FYI: Checked in at Brownells. They have an interactive part diagram. According to them, the Mossberg 500 and Mossberg 590 Share MANY of the same internal components (bolt assy, trigger group etc.) Difference in barrels and mag tube.

So the pin that broke on my 500, is the same pin that is in the 590.

Im hoping I just had the bad luck to have a weak bolt pin.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-24-2012, 12:32 AM
According to mossberg themselves, everything in the receiver is the same for 500 and 590. It is the 590a1 known for its premium parts all around

hermosabeach
06-24-2012, 4:19 AM
I had the heat shield jam my gun years ago. A weld in the heat shield cracked and the shield twisted into the action bars. Easy fix. Throw the heat shield away
In the past 20 years no issues with the mossy 500 and i have never burt my hand on the barrell
Glad u got your shotty fixed up

hossb7
06-24-2012, 8:28 AM
If this is winchester brand ammo from walmart then it has a known problem with not ejecting.

I've had the same problem in my remington 870, and i've read about a lot of people taking shotgun classes who have experiences this.

i remember reading an article posted by louis awerbuck a while back about this specific problem and this specific ammo.