PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloader scope question

VFX_man
06-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi all, trying to sort out the rules.

Situation: Just got an in-line T/C muzzleloader with a variable zoom scope.

From what I can tell, if you participate in a "muzzleloader only" season, you have to remove the scope and use the iron sights only [unless you are classified as vision impaired].

Question: So at "other" times, it's fine to use a scope on the muzzleloader? I know the hunters I saw down at FHL hunting for hogs had scopes on their muzzleloaders.

Am I reading the "law" correctly?

Thanks! V

Trapper
06-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Yes you are correct, muzzle loader only season you need iron sights and during the general season you are able to use a scope. I have a Leupold 2-7x32 mounted on my TC Omega with Leupold QD mounts.

toby
06-23-2012, 1:35 PM
Real muzzle loaders don't wear scopes!.........;)

VFX_man
06-23-2012, 2:35 PM

LOL, Understand and noted. ;)

Have always been an open sight guy. But the eyes are aging and the distances for shooting are a lot further than the Missouri Ozark's brush shots I grew up with. What would Davy Crockett shoot today?

V

Divernhunter
06-23-2012, 7:16 PM
He would shoot a 50bmg with a Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 NP(R)-II on it.

crackerman
06-24-2012, 12:35 AM
To add even if you have the letter you cannot have a scope with magnification during muzzleloader season. It has to be a 1x optic, aka reddot. Turn around time was about 4 days for me to get mine last year. It was more fun explaining to my optometrist what it was and why I needed it.

But it was nice to find out she is cool with shooting and hunting and how specialized shooters needs can be.

VFX_man
06-24-2012, 7:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the information!

Took it to the range for the first time today as was getting 1.5 inch groupings at 50 yards. Me likey! In fact, my buddy wants one now after getting a bulls eye on his first shot.

Cheers!

CSACANNONEER
06-24-2012, 8:18 PM
Or, burn BP substitutes! But, he's talking about an in-line and not a real frontloader.

He would shoot a 50bmg with a Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 NP(R)-II on it.

WOW, I've been shooting charcoal burners since '87, when I took my first buck with a roundball. Who would've known that I didn't have a Davy Crockett approved set up until 2004?

capnemo
06-24-2012, 8:56 PM
How about shotgun only areas, are scopes allowed on slug guns?

VFX_man
06-25-2012, 5:07 PM
Re: Slug guns . . . pretty sure there is no issue there . . . SOMEONE PLEASE correct me if I am off base. ;)

The main reason you cannot have them on muzzle loaders during the muzzle loader season/specialty hunts [as far as I can tell] is there is a "fair chase" aspect that a scope on a muzzle loader would violate.
Generally, your range "without a scope" would be shorter, thus limiting the number of animals that would be harvested. If people were running around with scopes on muzzle loaders, there would be a greater harvest of animals and thus would throw off the DFG Game management plan.
Granted, a really good shot, would most likely not have an issue with distance shooting with open sights. Personally, I would limit my shots to 100 yards or less, based on my current accuracy with open sites - clean kills are First importance in my book.

Similar situation with a cross-bow . . . there are areas you can use a cross-bow and/or archery bow. BUT when those areas are under the "Archery Only season". A cross-bow is a "no no" because it is considered a "firearm"(?)

Whiterabbit
06-25-2012, 11:10 PM

or use primers!